OT: UConn Campus Memories | The Boneyard

OT: UConn Campus Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Next month marks my 25th anniversary of graduating from UConn. I still remember many things about the school and campus. It was a great place to be in the 80's. Please chime in with a few memories of places, events etc. if you attended UConn. Here are a few that come to mind:

Ted's: Beer only
The Jungle
Home games at the field house with leaky roof
Nickel nights at Thumpers
Stevie Ray Vaughn playing spring weekend
Ramblin' Rich and his harmonica
Cheesy dorm semi formals
Winning the NIT at MSG in 88
Cow tipping
Add/drop in the ROTC hangar
Rocky Horror picture show

Reaction Score
1993-- X lot spring weekend, We hung out on the top of the hill where tower is and watched the mob grow for an hour. when we finally made it down to the "parking lot" with 10,00 plus people, we say a girl vomiting in the mouth of some guy. just rough!

side note, we say him kissing some other girl 25 minutes later

Reaction Score
1993-- X lot spring weekend, We hung out on the top of the hill where tower is and watched the mob grow for an hour. when we finally made it down to the "parking lot" with 10,00 plus people, we say a girl vomiting in the mouth of some guy. just rough!

side note, we say him kissing some other girl 25 minutes later
Ummm-stevie died in 1990-you mean '83?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Next month marks my 25th anniversary of graduating from UConn. I still remember many things about the school and campus. It was a great place to be in the 80's. Please chime in with a few memories of places, events etc. if you attended UConn. Here are a few that come to mind:

The Jungle
Cheesy dorm semi formals
Cow tipping

All of the above except cow tipping.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There is about a 6 week time frame in th Spring of 99, that I don't remember. Does that count?

First week of April: National Championship

Third Week of April: Spring Weekend

Second Week of May: Graduation

Husky25

Reaction Score
October 1998, Camping out in the breeze way for season basketball tix. First year there was not a lottery.

Husky25

Reaction Score

What's Thumpers? Is that the Civic Pub. I think the bar up behind/on top of Sgt. Peps was 3 different bars when I was there. It got raided at least twice a semester.

Reaction Score
From a decade earlier (1979)

"The End of the World" party at Stowe - made the NY Times
Big Soccer games like St. Louis U at Memorial (kegs in the stands)
Spirit shops delivering beer with an extra $20-40 cash
Ted's
The Jungle
wild Water Fights at the Ponds
Think Springsteen played ... but gosh I don't remember
Ice Cream at the Dairy bar
Cheesy dorm semi formals and soriority dance with KKG
NOT Winning the NIT at MSG; almost saw Tony Hansen drown at Diana's pool
Cow tipping
making money on "Deep Throat"
the rigged Foosball tournament
Football players chain sex

See ... almost the same.

Reaction Score

The Jungle
Cheesy dorm semi formals
Cow tipping
What about Diana's pool, A's and the Blue and White

Reaction Score
Last year was my 35th reunion. Seems like so long ago, but what a great time I had! Enduring friendships and memories.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
72 grad...so a lot of different references...

The real Jungle when freshmen males were there. Think about that for more than a second.

Kent State strike - Choice of pass fail or your grade. It become my best semester to that point.

Fraternity parties when fraternities were more about fun than being good citizens.

Dances at Hawley - they were so bad (cool is the rule, but sometimes bad is bad) that people actually went

and last but surely not least "Lou's" where you could see fire breathing at 1:00 AM, or maybe a little person ventriloquist show. You just never knew what would happen....but the cheeseburger grinders at 1:00 am were the best.

and a last personal memory..an.impromptu meeting with President Homer Babbidge in his office because Housing wouldn't let me change rooms a few weeks into the semester because "it was too much trouble for them" I changed rooms that day with the head of housing processing the paperwork. Imagine meeting with Herbst because you wanted a room change? I'm still not sure where I got the set to walk into the President's office that day.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
What's Thumpers? Is that the Civic Pub. I think the bar up behind/on top of Sgt. Peps was 3 different bars when I was there. It got raided at least twice a semester.

Civic Pub isn't even Civic Pub anymore. Now it's T-Dog.

Some of my memories from my years (2003-2007)

-Duke game then everyone marched to Hunting Lodge rd and partied at their favorite spot.
-National title gamewatch at Gampel followed by the street party on Fairfield Way and the riots at Carriage/Celeron.
-McMahon grill
-Kegs n Eggs at Huskies and chugging 2 liter of loaded sprite in the db Mart parking lot on spring weekend
-Camping out in Camp Calhoun in front of Gampel for every game in 06-07 despite the poor record
-The game vs Pitt in the blizzard
-Carriage every Thursday/Friday/Saturday as a freshman
-T-Dog 4-5 nights/week as a senior
-The invention of Facebook making finding girls so much easier
-picking housing in Wilbur cross after freshman year but doing it online every year after
-Charter Oak apts tshows every weekend
-Topless wiffle in the charter oak apts quad
-one ton sundae
-all the new buildings going up and never knowing which way to walk to class because we had to avoid construction (not that I'm complaining because the campus is beautiful and better off with the new buildings)
-McMahon suites
-valentines day beer pong tourney

Reaction Score
Add/Drop at the ROTC hangar - High point was one year my roommate and I went and finished with our class/schedule changes within 5 minutes. We may or may not have made some taunting remarks to those poor individuals stuck in line while we headed for the door.

Cow Tipping - I never knew or knew anyone who knew someone who actually did this.

Oscar's - My senior year, we went there for every MNF game, partly because they rolled out free pizza at 11 PM.

Whatever the university called their campus clean up weekend. UConn-do-it day or Spring cleaning or something. Never made sense to me that they scheduled it for the weekend before Spring weekend.

End of the spring semester - They would put large dumpsters in quad for people to throw out furniture, rugs, etc. And then someone would set the dumpster on fire.

Reaction Score
1974 grad. ROTC building being set on fire (or was it a bomb scare), circa 1971. Lou's; Shaboo; Rapp's Deli; beer being sold in the Student Union Rathskeller; football beating Rutgers and Yale in the same year (1973) - that was a big deal back then. Basketball going to the NIT and beating St. John's, but then losing to BC in the last second. "Shoots" (UConn slang for parties back then).Dive bar in Willi I can't remember, 5 cent - 7 ounce beers.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
79-83
ROTC beer blasts/concerts
Spring weekend in the Jungle
Cow tipping 1st semester freshman year, turns out cows are pretty solid on their feet
Home soccer games with kegs in stands, lost a tremendous home-field advantage when that ended
Walking throught the IDC dorm late night to look at the hallway paintings
Free delivery from 3 different packies
Horrible Pesaro's pizza delivery
Late night runs to Mama's Pizza in Willi
Rapps $1 pitcher Wednesdays
That food trailer in the lot near the painted rock, tremendous cheeseburgers.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Snow storm 'Nova game in '96. The game was postponed and I had to sell my ticket. My sister got us tickets for ND at BC and Gus Johnson spoiled the first half of the UConn game for me, which was taping at home, by telling a little kid the score.

Snow Storm BC game in '97. My dad came down with some of his friends who supported BC. It took a half hour to get to Angellino's in Willimantic. The roads were so bad after dinner, we stayed in the Best Western next door and drove back to campus the next morning.

Reaction Score
Civic Pub isn't even Civic Pub anymore. Now it's T-Dog.

Some of my memories from my years (2003-2007)

-Duke game then everyone marched to Hunting Lodge rd and partied at their favorite spot.
-National title gamewatch at Gampel followed by the street party on Fairfield Way and the riots at Carriage/Celeron.
-McMahon grill
-Kegs n Eggs at Huskies and chugging 2 liter of loaded sprite in the db Mart parking lot on spring weekend
-Camping out in Camp Calhoun in front of Gampel for every game in 06-07 despite the poor record
-The game vs Pitt in the blizzard
-Carriage every Thursday/Friday/Saturday as a freshman
-T-Dog 4-5 nights/week as a senior
-The invention of Facebook making finding girls so much easier
-picking housing in Wilbur cross after freshman year but doing it online every year after
-Charter Oak apts tshows every weekend
-Topless wiffle in the charter oak apts quad
-one ton sundae
-all the new buildings going up and never knowing which way to walk to class because we had to avoid construction (not that I'm complaining because the campus is beautiful and better off with the new buildings)
-McMahon suites
-valentines day beer pong tourney

+1 on pretty much all of that as a fellow 07 grad. Just insert Carriage shenanigans as we had the party apt. I would also add driving to Mass for beer on Sundays.

Reaction Score
Didn't go to UConn but girlfriend did (kinda lived there lol):

late 70's hanging out in dorm with tons of hot numbers (dorm directly from McMahon)
taking showers on the girls floor getting caught
meeting girlfriends roomate's bro', Dennis Long and his buddy Randy LaVigne who was going out with a girl down the hall at parties
thinking I needed to find more action at parties as all the athletes my girlfriend was involved with weren't wild enough
having "too much" fun with a neighboring friend of my girlfriend on a Friday night while awaiting their late arrival from a VBall game at UNH.....good mammary's though!
sex all over the place as why else was I there?
Going back to play baseball vs UConn and her visit me with her new boyfriend Graziano Cornolo of the soccer team............
going back to enjoy more time with her while Graz was away............LOL
NIT game vs VCU the championship year...........still young enough to have "fun" on campus at 28 LOL

Reaction Score
The football team playing Army, Navy, Yale and Rutgers to open up a season.

Irma's grease truck, for late night cheeseburger grinders, she used the old parking lot across from Material Sciences

Soccer games were fun, my dorm used to bring a keg, set it up early, wrapped it in coats and drank all game.

Thursday nights

Hockey at the outdoor rink

Studying among the stacks at Wilbur Cross

Always had friggin 8 am classes, always!!!

First weeks of fall semester when the girls were still tan and showing lots of leg

Weeks before spring finals when the girls were trying to tan and showing lots of leg.

Reaction Score
Getting stopped and yelled at by the police for jaywalking to the bus stop right behind hilltop dorms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom