OT: UConn Campus Memories | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn Campus Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The good looking English 109 TA. You want to keep an 18 year old's attention while discussing Chaucer, she was a good start.

Reaction Score
1964 grad.
A's and I's
The Cove
Playing cribbage after lunch when the news reported shooting of JFK; interfaith gathering at Student Union later.
Bo Diddley at Senior Picnic.
Isley Brothers brought to dance hall in Willi by three fraternities.
Spring weekend off campus.
Dairy Bar sundaes in 1960 were 35 cents.
Dom Perno stole basketball from Bill Bradley; led to UCONN-Duke in NCAA's; not very good result.

Reaction Score
Cow Tipping was just a legend of sorts. I didn't know anyone who actually did it. Some other thoughts:

Parties at Carriage House;
Huge parties at Sig Ep;
Watching Cliff run the point at 6'10" in pickup games with a dribble up to his chest and a sideways hat;
Gerry Besselink's girlfriend Tina. She looked exactly like a barbie doll;
Breakfast at Gil's in Willimantic at 2 am;
Getting into home basketball games with a dollar and a student ID;

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
From a decade earlier (1979)

"The End of the World" party at Stowe - made the NY Times
Big Soccer games like St. Louis U at Memorial (kegs in the stands)
Spirit shops delivering beer with an extra $20-40 cash
Ted's
The Jungle
Home games at the field house with leaky roof
wild Water Fights at the Ponds
Think Springsteen played ... but gosh I don't remember
Ice Cream at the Dairy bar
Cheesy dorm semi formals and soriority dance with KKG
NOT Winning the NIT at MSG; almost saw Tony Hansen drown at Diana's pool
Cow tipping
Add/drop in the ROTC hangar
making money on "Deep Throat"
the rigged Foosball tournament
Football players chain sex

See ... almost the same.

Oh hell yeah. If you remember the End of the World party, then you were probably also around for the following:
- sewage leaks that closed some of Stowe's kitchens - discovered after feces had been leaking into the kitchen for days/weeks
- Stowe's finest sitting in the quad with Olympic scorecards rating all female passersby
- rooftop diving into drifts during the President's Day snowstorm - at least one injury from Crandall A by someone who forgot there was a bike rack under there
- during said blizzard, my car was plowed under and I was not able to access it until mid-March. However, the trusty 350 v-8 in my 1971 Pontiac T-37 turned over immediately!
- The Stowe C Funnelator, capable of hitting a duck in the middle of Mirror Lake
- theft of the giant stone campus entrance sign on 195
- the seemingly endless cycle of James Montgomery/J. Giels/James Cotton/Jonathan Edwards at Shaboo. I don't recall Springsteen playing (he canceled two shows at Shaboo in '73) but we got plenty of Beaver Brown.
- one of the more amazing Jorgensen billings of all-time, Jean Luc-Ponty opening for The Kinks
- sad copycat toga parties all over after the release of Animal House

Agree that bringing kegs to the soccer field was huge. We were "America's Team" and hooted at San Francisco, St. Louis, Hartwick, Columba and other teams when their foreign-named starters were announced. Joe Morrone was the Jim Calhoun of that era.

Reaction Score
What's Thumpers? Is that the Civic Pub. I think the bar up behind/on top of Sgt. Peps was 3 different bars when I was there. It got raided at least twice a semester.
Thumpers was the bar a little off campus right next to the package store(spirits I think someone mentioned). Bad with remembering names of places.
Class of '91
McMahon North
Opening of Gampel against St. Johns
Watching Tate's winning shot with thousands inside of Gampel on the big screen.
Getting into an argument w/ Alex Davis receiver on the football team who was trying to cut in line at Huskies on a freezing cold night.
Remember the kid who ended up on Baywatch who I think only went to UConn for a year making out the entire time with some girl at Spring Weekend.
Hanging out with T Walker in the lobby in McMahon watching the Tyson/Douglas upset.

Reaction Score
Wilson Picket concert '69 or '70 at Jorgenson, rocked, until fire marshal cut off power for fear the swaying balcony would collapse.

Lou's at 1am to quench the munchies.

Mirror Lake protest/love in Spring of 71

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
1974 grad. ROTC building being set on fire (or was it a bomb scare), circa 1971. Lou's; Shaboo; Rapp's Deli; beer being sold in the Student Union Rathskeller; football beating Rutgers and Yale in the same year (1973) - that was a big deal back then. Basketball going to the NIT and beating St. John's, but then losing to BC in the last second. "Shoots" (UConn slang for parties back then).Dive bar in Willi I can't remember, 5 cent - 7 ounce beers.
Richard X. Carlson for Student Government President

UConn wins its first (and second) NCAA indoor polo championship(s)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Adding some more.

South side Johnny for spring weekend 1985

MTV on campus for two spring weekends in a row. Modern English, Joan Jett and others. 86 and 87 I think.

Simply massive snowball battle in 1985. Thousands marching on thousands.

One year 84-85 of the "in transit rule" resulting in many around the world parties in dorms.

Lastly, inviting Otis Day and the Knights to our dorm party in Crawford after their show, and having them show up and drink with us.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
[qHuskyHawk, post: 579445, member: 1414"]Adding some more.

South side Johnny for spring weekend 1985

MTV on campus for two spring weekends in a row. Modern English, Joan Jett and others. 86 and 87 I think.

Simply massive snowball battle in 1985. Thousands marching on thousands.

One year 84-85 of the "in transit rule" resulting in many around the world parties in dorms.

Lastly, inviting Otis Day and the Knights to our dorm party in Crawford after their show, and having them show up and drink with us.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

Graduated 88. 84 hilltop around the world party. Grain in my dorm.
The real reason Perno got fired.
Hanging out with Ray Braxton in hilltop and watching him miss a dunk and break his back in the fieldhouse. Rest in peace Ray.
Homecoming games and spring concert the campus would be trashed. Beer bottles knee high.

87 spring weekend Carriage House party. There was a line off cars trying to get out cops were pulling people over right at the entrance and students were so drunk they just kept coming one car after the next. We were walking I forget the name but there was a fairly new apartment complex across the St from the carriage house where we stayed.
Road trips to Maine to pick up Lobster for pool parties at our apartment (Different complex)

Playing 3 man in the jungle (dice game)

Going to Civic Center for all the big fight,.

Balling with Muchie (Marlon Starling)

Hurricane Gloria party!

Reaction Score
Dancing around the largest bonfire I have ever seen in the Jungle quad after UConn won their first championship. I am sure some of you were there.

Getting pepper sprayed, a couple times, at spring weekend when someone set a tree on fire at Kill-a-Keg and the cops were making room for the Firemen.

Graduated in 01.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The North Goal at M0rrone Stadium - I am an original member 1975-1987- having Coach Marrone come over before the Penn State game in 1982 and thanking us for our spirit but to please watch the "salty language"
The great original chants and songs that made the current Goal Brigade efforts lame
The soccer games vs Alabama A&M juju!!!!
The cookouts in the field behind the ice rink before every SOCCER SUNDAY game
The Quarter final match vs Columbia in the sleet
BBall games in the old fieldhouse - getting high with TH before one game vs New Hampshire
March Indoor soccer tournaments in the old fieldhouse and the matches vs LIU- between game trips to Teds
Partying with E Myron, M Addington and other members of those great UCONN soccer teams

Reaction Score
Wilson Picket concert '69 or '70 at Jorgenson, rocked, until fire marshal cut off power for fear the swaying balcony would collapse.

Lou's at 1am to quench the munchies.

Mirror Lake protest/love in Spring of 71
Wilson Picket was 70-71 school year and I was there too. Interestingly a high school classmate of mine was producing thw Wicked Picket's records when he died a few years ago.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Graduated '98... so I just missed out on the 99 championship. But we rocked the Jungle quad pretty hard after Ray beat Allen Iverson in the BET final! Also after the Yankees won the WS with Wetteland, young Jeter, etc. I remember someone forcing a Sox fan to get down on one knee and beg for mercy, or something.

Seeing Spring Heeled Jack play on or near campus, must have been at least 3 or 4 times. Once was opening for the BossTones. Another show on the student union patio, the kids skanked up clouds of dust.

End of spring semester 97, I think, after exams, I achieved the exactly perfect level of drunkenness after drinking all afternoon, taking a break for dinner then hitting Ted's in the evening. At the end of the night I was able to stumble home, although I was completely unable to speak in intelligible sentences , I was quite happy and didn't get sick and I don't think I had much of a hangover the next day. I've never been able to replicate that (I can't even attempt 30% of that now).

I think it was the year before, same time after exams, my floor (Litchfield first) put a bunch of couches out in the quad, sat out all night chillin. Late in the morning I was sober, we decided to drive to the Mansfield dam to watch the sunrise, it wound up being unexpectedly spectacular to watch.

Reaction Score
1974 grad. ROTC building being set on fire (or was it a bomb scare), circa 1971. Lou's; Shaboo; Rapp's Deli; beer being sold in the Student Union Rathskeller; football beating Rutgers and Yale in the same year (1973) - that was a big deal back then. Basketball going to the NIT and beating St. John's, but then losing to BC in the last second. "Shoots" (UConn slang for parties back then).Dive bar in Willi I can't remember, 5 cent - 7 ounce beers.
I was class of 74 too. I remember all this stuff. I remember a place on rte 44 in Ashford called 3 Guys that had 10 cent beers on Weds' from 7-9. That was very tough!

Reaction Score
I think it was the year before, same time after exams, my floor (Litchfield first) put a bunch of couches out in the quad, sat out all night chillin. Late in the morning I was sober, we decided to drive to the Mansfield dam to watch the sunrise, it wound up being unexpectedly spectacular to watch.

I lived on the 3rd floor of Litchfield 96-99. From what I remember, the janitors hated you guys, the RA's hated you guys and most of the rest of the building did too. And I am being completely serious.

Reaction Score
Freshman year 98 living in East Campus, trying to get out like Snake Bliskin in escape from New York.

Sleeping in front of Gampel for season tickets.

Moving to Hartford Hall in the Jungle and being happy :)

Going to the final 4 in a mini van with 7 friends.

Selling final 4 tickets for 2500, then buying other tickets back for 400 and getting a free trip to watch Uconn win the championship and 2k in my pocket. Winning!

Dave Matthews @ Jorgenson.

Spring weekend blackout and stomach pump in Willarico

Busts Rhymes @ Spring Weekend

Civic Pub nickel nights.

Fake Jersey I.D.s

Huskies Big Monday Games

Losing to Miami on Senior day somehow?????

Falling down the icy hill from Huskies and busting my ass, while the girl I was with busted it even harder.

Going to New York City to clubs like Twilo, Sound Factory, Exit and Tunnel

Not going to class and still somehow getting a 3.2

Around the world parties

Snowball fights in the Jungle Quad

slip and slide in the quad.

NAPSTER!

And that was just FRESHMAN YEAR!

Reaction Score
Go back over this thread, some mentioned Lou's, I remember that now.
Those that remember Lou's may remember UConn had a ski slope with a tow rope back in the day. It was down below off that road that surrounds the College of Ag.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Go back over this thread, some mentioned Lou's, I remember that now.
Those that remember Lou's may remember UConn had a ski slope with a tow rope back in the day. It was down below off that road that surrounds the College of Ag.

Husky Hill

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
1967 grad.
Freshman beanies
Curfews for women
Panty raids
Water fights
House mothers (trying to stop water fights)
Toby Kimball, Spider Hesford, Wes Bialosuknia, Tom Penders, Bill Corley. No cost for students at the game until we were charged fifty cents starting my 2nd year in the old field house
UConn upsets Bill Bradley's Princeton in the NCAAs as Dom Perno seals the win with a steal from Bradley.
Seeing Peter, Paul and Mary at Jorgy in what was the fastest sell out in school history
Mansfield a dry town, so drinking in Willi at the Rock Garden or As
Diana's Pool and the Pink Ravine
Vietnam discussion groups
The big UConn black out not to be confused with the Northeast blackout
Parties at Pollocks and the South Windham Firehouse.
Lou's at 3 in the morning and not a female in sight and being a Lous vet when you knew Lou was the woman and Allie John the guy
Huskies restaurant way before beer and on the same stretch of road, the Blue and White, Teds, the Varsity and past South Campus, the Pizza House, movie theater and the cave like Campus Restaurant
Live rock band parties in our Towers dorm with lots of booze and constant fear of a State Police party raid.
And for those who think hating the football coach is a new thing, the painting of a huge tombstone on Horsebarn Hill urging the firing of long time coach Bob Ingalls ( he was fired) and replaced by Rick Forzano, who, along with assistants Lou Holtz and Sam Rutigliano became NFL head coaches.
Lots more I could add.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
1967 grad.

the Varsity and the cave like Campus Restaurant

Wow! Exactly when was the Varsity a thriving restaurant? I only knew it in its death noll. The Campus was in its heyday then wasn't it?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

The Varsity, the last hold out of the fifteen cent burger. It did okay through my time there. The guy who owned it started every year with a clean white sweatshirt and it was black at year's end. We were sure he never washed it. He and his wife were Jewish and if they knew you were Jewish, they were always trying to get dates for their daughter. Have zero idea what she looked like, so maybe we were missing out on Miss Universe. You had to stand at the counter and fill out your own order slip. The least expensive food near campus.

The Campus Restaurant, downstairs in the strip mall across from Fine Arts, was the place that attracted hippie types. First place I ever saw a female smoking a cigar and a dog running around in a restaurant. But the most convenient place if your last class at the end of the day was at South Campus. They were all greasy spoons.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
The Varsity, You had to stand at the counter and fill out your own order slip. The least expensive food near campus.

I forgot all about that..You filled out the sheet on how you wanted your hamburger....it was sort of a poor man's McDonalds if there was such a thing.

The Campus Restaurant, downstairs in the strip mall across from Fine Arts, was the place that attracted hippie types. First place I ever saw a female smoking a cigar and a dog running around in a restaurant. But the most convenient place if your last class at the end of the day was at South Campus. They were all greasy spoons.

Ahhh..I think if you were a hippie type you might have a very different view of The Campus in its heyday. Definite greasy spoon, but so much else going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom