OT: Tenn schadenfreude | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Tenn schadenfreude

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Reportedly, Gruden makes $6.5 million just from ESPN. The only college football coach above that is Harbaugh, at $9 million. I doubt that Tennessee could get Gruden for $10 million.

Not only that, but i understand gruden also makes millions in endorsements each year, not to mention the fact the massive amount of money tennessee would have to pay for the assistants he would want

Reaction Score
Bill Belichick (of Spygate fame) vouches for Schiano's character...

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has 'zero' reservations about Greg Schiano

Also interesting is most of the tweets shown in the video at the top (Vol supporters complaining about Schiano) are about his coaching acumen, not his Penn State affiliation. Sample:
  1. Albert Haynesworth‏Verified account @haynesworthiii 22h22 hours ago
    I’m just going to say this if we hire Greg Schiano as our next head coach my options will be open to which college program I will Be donating my TIME and MONEY to. (No disrespect to GS) but if UT leaders don’t take football serious then I will find the program that will!!!

791 replies4,473 retweets10,062 likes

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Bill Belichick (of Spygate fame) vouches for Schiano's character...

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has 'zero' reservations about Greg Schiano

Also interesting is most of the tweets shown in the video at the top (Vol supporters complaining about Schiano) are about his coaching acumen, not his Penn State affiliation. Sample:
  1. Albert Haynesworth‏Verified account @haynesworthiii 22h22 hours ago
    I’m just going to say this if we hire Greg Schiano as our next head coach my options will be open to which college program I will Be donating my TIME and MONEY to. (No disrespect to GS) but if UT leaders don’t take football serious then I will find the program that will!!!

791 replies4,473 retweets10,062 likes
LOL Haynesworth is truly a VFL, such a drama queen.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The latest fantasy from Knoxville is that Pro Bowl TE, and former Vol, Jason Witten would retire immediately from the Dallas Cowboys to take the HC job. Witten has issued a statement saying he has no intention of leaving the Cowboys.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The latest fantasy from Knoxville is that Pro Bowl TE, and former Vol, Jason Witten would retire immediately from the Dallas Cowboys to take the HC job. Witten has issued a statement saying he has no intention of leaving the Cowboys.
I’ve always thought that Fantasyland was in Anaheim or Orlando, but now it appears to be in Knoxville.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The delusionability of that crowd ... SMH

Plebe

Reaction Score
Seriously, are there any sane people in that fan base? How do they even stand this nonsense?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Many years ago I attended a football game at Neyland Stadium with approximately 90,000 Vol fans to watch mighty TN vs lowly upstart Duke. On that early fall evening, the physically overmatched Blue Devils completely outplayed TN pulling off a stunning upset. The Volunteer fans were positively apoplectic.

The young coach at Duke continued to be a thorn in TN’s side for a number of years after he was named the HC at his alma mater in Gainesville, FL....fellow by the name of Spurrier.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Many years ago I attended a football game at Neyland Stadium with approximately 90,000 Vol fans to watch mighty TN vs lowly upstart Duke. On that early fall evening, the physically overmatched Blue Devils completely outplayed TN pulling off a stunning upset. The Volunteer fans were positively apoplectic.

The young coach at Duke continued to be a thorn in TN’s side for a number of years after he was named the HC at his alma mater in Gainesville, FL....fellow by the name of Spurrier.
No one can go apoplectic like that mob.

Pat Summitt writes in her book about how, right around the height of her success, she began receiving hate mail from Vols fans every time her team would suffer a loss. Hate mail. Ordering her to retire, insulting her, etc.

Reaction Score
Not many know that young coach was the son of a minister and was born in Tennessee!!!!

Reaction Score
Don't particularly like Schiano and I don't understand everyone's conviction that he's a great coach.

He did a poor job at Tampa Bay but a really good job at Rutgers. He took a team that had been to one Bowl Game in its entire history and got them to six bowls in seven years. Also left enough talent to go to three consecutive bowls after he left. Prior to his arrival Rutgers had won 11 games in five years, and they had had decades of futility before that as well.

Reaction Score
I would put Greg in the "risky" category. He did wonders in getting the Rutgers football program from a laughing stock to respectable, but seemed to lack the skill set to take it to the next level. The inside scoop was that he was to much of a control freak. Leaving Rutgers (for Tampa Bay, particularly) was inexplicable. He was like their 5th choice, no one wanted the job.

Still, I would be willing to give him a try at most schools, Tennessee might be a reach, but then again, they have been little but bad in their coach hiring.

He had taken Rutgers to a point where they were winning 8-9 games a year and going to a mid-level bowl every year. With Rutgers's history and mediocre support for football, I doubt there are many coaches who could have done better. Agree it was a horrible mistake to leave for Tampa Bay. Schiano's personality is suited for the college game, not pro.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Schiano wasn't all that better than Edsall, if at all. Rutgers never won a share of the Big East title, UConn did twice while Shifty was at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Tennessee's coaching search woes continue. So far they have unsuccessfully courted:

Greg Schiano (Ohio State DC, cluster%^&* situation)
Kevin Steele (Auburn DC)
Chad Morris (SMU HC)
Mike Gundy (Okla State HC, turned down double his OSU salary)
David Cutcliffe (Duke HC)

They are currently pursuing former XFL player and current Purdue HC Jeff Brohm.

Sources: Vols turn attention to Purdue's Brohm

Reaction Score
Tennessee's coaching search woes continue. So far they have unsuccessfully courted:

Kevin Steele (Auburn DC)
Chad Morris (SMU HC)

Ooops - Brohm didn't work out, already on to discussions with NC State HC Dave Doeren.

Sources: Vols' focus shifts to NC St.'s Doeren

NEXT!

Reaction Score
TN fans are delusional and think TN is an actually elite CFB job, it's not and hasn't been for a long time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Kevin Steele (Auburn DC)
Chad Morris (SMU HC)

And they think they have a shot at Gruden??!!

They should make a strong pitch to get Peyton Manning. He's a former Vol, so he might have some interest.

Reaction Score
And they think they have a shot at Gruden??!!

They should make a strong pitch to get Peyton Manning. He's a former Vol, so he might have some interest.
Peyton might not want the”Me Too” attention a renewed affiliation with TN could dredge up. He’s been Teflon Man, though, on that and other stuff (Al Jazeera HGH thing).

Reaction Score
From what I have been reading that whole situation is way out of whack. They haven't been a significant football team since they got tired of Phil Fulmer and ran him out of the head coaching position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom