OT: Tenn schadenfreude | The Boneyard

OT: Tenn schadenfreude

Reaction Score
I would argue nothing Tenn-related is OT on this board, but since it's not basketball I labeled it as such.

Who doesn't love some Tenn misery?

Vols have been on the verge of hiring former Rutgers FB coach Greg Schiano. This is delightful since no one thinks he's a good coach, and thus is destined to continue their misery.

And now the school has become the laughingstock of college football. Witness:

Fake Bo Pelini‏ @FauxPelini
.@UTKnoxville do your computers not have google

azpenguin 57m57 minutes ago
They can’t string three Ws together to type in the address.

William Kelly‏ @wmkelly1980 54m54 minutes ago
This is the sickest of burns.

Greg M.‏ @GM24Web 15m15 minutes ago
They're still only allowed 56k in the athletic directors office.
[AOL dialup image]

crnajerry‏ @crnajerry 39m39 minutes ago
Kinda like North Korea

Meanwhile, fans are in meltdown.
So much so that the hire now may not happen. Which is unfortunate bc it would've been fun.

Still, this has been enjoyable.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IMO, TN fans had every right to question whether Greg Schiano was the right guy to hire as their next “Head Football Coach,” but their guilt by association attacks against Schiano for being on the PSU staff in the early 90’s as a grad assistant and then DB coach (his 1st coaching job) are deplorable. There has never been any indication that Schiano knew anything about Sandusky’s disgusting behavior.

Reaction Score
I was writing this oldude when you posted. We're thinking along the same lines:

Don't particularly like Schiano and I don't understand everyone's conviction that he's a great coach.

But the charge that he knew of a child molestation at Penn State, told his superior, and, when nothing happened, he didn't follow up is based on a very vague recollection:
Greg Schiano, Tom Bradley knew of Jerry Sandusky abuse at Penn State, documents show
According to McQueary, Bradley identified Schiano, now the Ohio State defensive coordinator, as the other assistant. In response to a question about whether Bradley had shared details of what Schiano had said, McQueary related a conversation with Bradley.

“No,” McQueary replied, according to the documents, “only that he had — I can’t remember if it was one night or one morning — but that Greg had come into his office white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower. And that’s it. That’s all he ever told me.

That is only we know of Schiano's "involvement" according to McQueary's recollection. He has been tried and convicted in the court of public opinion.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I didn't know anything about Schiano being at Penn State.

I just assumed they were protesting on the grounds of being a mediocre coach.
Ha! That's precisely what I was thinking. I didn't know about the PSU thing either. Or if I did, I forgot.

Reaction Score
It is a dark and stormy night at Knoxville when you can cut schadenfreude with a knife.

Reaction Score
So now the big question for Tennessee - who would want to coach at your university?

Lack of leadership of the AD, rabid fans, questionable assumptions, over important politicians. Who wants that?

huskeynut- - - - -All the above explains why a totally inept WBB coach, Holly Warlick, is still hanging on as HC and making it wonderful to watch the Lady Vols play BB! Either the administration DOESN'T KNOW what makes a great WBB HC or they as Rhett Butler so beautifully said in GONE WITH THE WIND, "Frankly Scarlett I don't give a d--n!"

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I didn't know anything about Schiano being at Penn State.

I just assumed they were protesting on the grounds of being a mediocre coach.
I would put Greg in the "risky" category. He did wonders in getting the Rutgers football program from a laughing stock to respectable, but seemed to lack the skill set to take it to the next level. The inside scoop was that he was to much of a control freak. Leaving Rutgers (for Tampa Bay, particularly) was inexplicable. He was like their 5th choice, no one wanted the job.

Still, I would be willing to give him a try at most schools, Tennessee might be a reach, but then again, they have been little but bad in their coach hiring.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My nephew through marriage is a Tennessee alum and huge fan. He has this fantasy, which he keeps posting on Facebook, that the Vols can talk John Gruden into the job. Gruden has a wonderful gig and may be the highest paid sports color guy. He would have to be beyond insane to even consider the Knoxville job.

Reaction Score
My nephew through marriage is a Tennessee alum and huge fan. He has this fantasy, which he keeps posting on Facebook, that the Vols can talk John Gruden into the job. Gruden has a wonderful gig and may be the highest paid sports color guy. He would have to be beyond insane to even consider the Knoxville job.

Here's what a espn sportswriter thought of this notion:

Mark schlabach
If Jon Gruden takes the Tennessee job, I'll sing Rocky Top in the town square of Madison, Georgia on Christmas Eve

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Here's what a espn sportswriter thought of this notion:

Mark schlabach
If Jon Gruden takes the Tennessee job, I'll sing Rocky Top in the town square of Madison, Georgia on Christmas Eve

The Orange Obsessed have been pining away for Gruden for seemingly forever.

The pearl-clutching over Schiano's Penn State connection is rank hypocrisy. If Gruden had been the locker room attendant at Penn State they'd be making all sorts of excuses for him now.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Schadenfraude is phony schadenfreude.
Big East fans tagged Schiano Shady years ago.

I couldn't believe the scroll on ESPN when I saw it. I almost fell off my chair laughing. I thought for sure Shady would be coaching pee wee football to consecutive losing seasons somewhere instead of trying to coach another college team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Gruden’s name is mentioned for just about every pro and major college HC job. He has told friends and colleagues for years that he basically gets paid over a million dollars per year to work one night a week during football season and play golf every other day of the week. No 16 hr days. No pressure. Why would he ever want to get back into coaching?

Reaction Score
So now the big question for Tennessee - who would want to coach at your university?

Lack of leadership of the AD, rabid fans, questionable assumptions, over important politicians. Who wants that?

Eh. I think I could handle all that given the ~$4m salary.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I would argue everything Tennessee related should be off topic, since they are not on the schedule and have zero national relevance for women's basketball.

The lady vols haven't been a title contender for nearly a decade, but it's not like they have dropped completely off the map...yet. Many legendary teams in collegiate sports tend to have a period in time where they might experience down years, but eventually find their way back, usually through multiple coaching changes.

As far as the football situation at tennessee, as a vol fan myself, it is a very embarrasing situation..about as embarrassing as a holly warlick press conference. The whole gruden fiasco is quite funny bc the fan base has pretty much sold out on him being tennessee's next coach even though that notion was, and still is, pure fantasy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gruden’s name is mentioned for just about every pro and major college HC job. He has told friends and colleagues for years that he basically gets paid over a million dollars per year to work one night a week during football season and play golf every other day of the week. No 16 hr days. No pressure. Why would he ever want to get back into coaching?
Reportedly, Gruden makes $6.5 million just from ESPN. The only college football coach above that is Harbaugh, at $9 million. I doubt that Tennessee could get Gruden for $10 million.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom