OT: Tenn schadenfreude | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Tenn schadenfreude

Reaction Score
The hits just keep on coming!

First, just to update the list of candidates who have turned them down, add Dave Doeren (NC State HC) and Dan Mullen (New Florida HC). It has been reported by SB Nation that the TN coaching search has already cost $13 million (this could include Butch Jones’ buyout -??).

Anyway, now TN AD John Currie has been fired this morning after arriving back in Knoxville from a trip to interview Washington State coach Mike Leach yesterday. Former TN HOF coach Phillip Fulmer will take an active role in the coaching search.

Sources: Vols, Currie part amid bungled search

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The hits just keep on coming!

First, just to update the list of candidates who have turned them down, add Dave Doeren (NC State HC) and Dan Mullen (New Florida HC). It has been reported by SB Nation that the TN coaching search has already cost $13 million (this could include Butch Jones’ buyout -??).

Anyway, now TN AD John Currie has been fired this morning after arriving back in Knoxville from a trip to interview Washington State coach Mike Leach yesterday. Former TN HOF coach Phillip Fulmer will take an active role in the coaching search.

Sources: Vols, Currie part amid bungled search

This has been amusing. Couldn't happen to a better bunch.

The potential hiring of Mike Leach has also been intriguing -- while a good coach, he is so totally NOT good with PR.

Reaction Score
Tennessee fans turning on Peyton Manning because they think he has something to do with Tee Martin ( Southern Cal OC and former Vol QB who won an NC year after Peyton left)

Quincy Avery on Twitter

It's a civil war going on over on Vol Nation about this topic.

Reaction Score
Wow this has turned into a debacle from every angle..... I hope sincerely they get a decent hire..... I think Schiano got a raw deal.... and I have never been a great fan of his..... but to be attacked on innuendo is wrong... wouldn't wish that on anyone

Reaction Score
Wow this has turned into a debacle from every angle..... I hope sincerely they get a decent hire..... I think Schiano got a raw deal.... and I have never been a great fan of his..... but to be attacked on innuendo is wrong... wouldn't wish that on anyone
Most of the complaints about Schiano weren't about his Penn State affiliation - they were from boosters who felt he wasn't a high enough stature hire and wanted to see a more "serious" candidate.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
My nephew through marriage is a Tennessee alum and huge fan . . . .

scream2.gif

I couldn't read any further. The Horror !!!!!!!!!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A decent hire? There isn't a decent person on the planet on whom I would wish that toxic cesspool known as Rocky Top.

The spoiled, petulant, deluded, and now criminally libelous fanbase deserves all of its present and future misery and then some.

Reaction Score
This debacle at TN has blown up Volnation. Normally, 2500-3000 users are logged on. This week I saw 17000 users logged on at one point.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This debacle at TN has blown up Volnation. Normally, 2500-3000 users are logged on. This week I saw 17000 users logged on at one point.

You're spending too much time over there! Lucky you can still form a coherent sentence. ;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Gotta love Deadspin for moments like these:

https://deadspin.com/tennessees-week-long-faceplant-continues-1820919283

Friday morning, after returning from yet another meeting with another prospective head coach, Tennessee athletic director John Currie was canned. It was quick, kind of expected, and, really, just another blip in what’s been a teeth-grinding ****show for the folks in Knoxville and a comical treasure trove for everyone else.

Reaction Score
Breaking news: Phillip Fulmer is the new Tennessee Athletic Director!

Reaction Score
Most of the complaints about Schiano weren't about his Penn State affiliation - they were from boosters who felt he wasn't a high enough stature hire and wanted to see a more "serious" candidate.

Yeah and I think that is the issue with many Tenn fans...... they want an uber top shelf coach..... and now the AD Currie is gone.... it will be interesting to see who Fullmer hires for the football program

and of course his attitude on Holly

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yeah and I think that is the issue with many Tenn fans. they want an uber top shelf coach..... and now the AD Currie is gone.... it will be interesting to see who Fullmer hires for the football program

and of course his attitude on Holly
I’m not sure Fulmer is aware that TN has a WBB team.... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Yes agreed seems they have sold out in attempt to bolster football.... who knows now that new person in the high chair

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Reminds me of one of the funniest lines I ever heard in sports, after the football team was the national championship: "Finally, a football team the women's basketball team can be proud of." Author unknown

Reaction Score
I would argue nothing Tenn-related is OT on this board, but since it's not basketball I labeled it as such.

Who doesn't love some Tenn misery?

Vols have been on the verge of hiring former Rutgers FB coach Greg Schiano. This is delightful since no one thinks he's a good coach, and thus is destined to continue their misery.

And now the school has become the laughingstock of college football. Witness:

Fake Bo Pelini‏ @FauxPelini
.@UTKnoxville do your computers not have google

azpenguin 57m57 minutes ago
They can’t string three Ws together to type in the address.

William Kelly‏ @wmkelly1980 54m54 minutes ago
This is the sickest of burns.

Greg M.‏ @GM24Web 15m15 minutes ago
They're still only allowed 56k in the athletic directors office.
[AOL dialup image]

crnajerry‏ @crnajerry 39m39 minutes ago
Kinda like North Korea

Meanwhile, fans are in meltdown.
So much so that the hire now may not happen. Which is unfortunate bc it would've been fun.

Still, this has been enjoyable.
Heard that it was a done deal, Schiano signed on the dotted line. They might end up owing him several million dollars, without him coaching one day.

Reaction Score
Heard that it was a done deal, Schiano signed on the dotted line. They might end up owing him several million dollars, without him coaching one day.
I read there was a memorandum of understanding which they reneged on, but haven’t heard about anything legally binding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom