OT: Smart phone help.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Smart phone help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Im not sure how Sprint does.... but Im with Tmobile and they give you the option on spreading the payments out. In the end you pay the same amount... just it hurts less than shelling out 600 plus dollars upfront.

I went to the T-mobile store for the first time in almost a year.. no HTC 10's to be found... plenty of Samsungs and Iphones though Head bang Called another store and they told me they discontinued carrying it. Guess imma have to call every T-mobile store within a 75 mile radius to see if they have one left.... all i need is one :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Im sure the galaxy's and notes are fine phones..... and iphones are probably decent as well. but its nothing like holding a HTC phone..... they are such a beautiful object :cool:
Yes, Sprint does the payments over the course of the contract... its still $600.00 plus, total. I dont want a new phone... I paid my 650.00 once and I want my phone to last as long as possible. (just like a car when you pay it off, no more car "notes")

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Am I the only admitted cheapskate here?
I did not NEED a smart phone (I've still got 6,000 minutes on my flip phone from Tracfone.)
I've had great luck with a supposed "refurb" Samsung Note 4 (looked brand new to me) from a USA based seller on E-Bay.

FWIW: As I work out of a home office, I have a minimal use plan from T-Mobile($4. monthly for 50 calls and 500 MG Data). I mostly use Wifi for the little bit of Texting I do and certain apps.

I DID use the Wifi in Europe with a FreedomPop Hot Spot.
whatever works for you... many people use "smartphones" for games, internet, pay bills, banking, email, Twitter, SnapChat, take pics etc. if you dont need a "smart" phone dont get one, its a waste of money. They are good for people who are always on the go... laptops use to be but tablets and phablets along with smartphones are taking over!

most smartphones come with "unlimited everything" which is a huge plus and eyecatching. (50 calls a month, that's less than 2 calls a day... some people get 50 calls a day but I think I may receive 1 a day but I get maybe 200 text a day)

basic phones are rare but they still make them because there is a market for them with the elderly.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes, Sprint does the payments over the course of the contract... its still $600.00 plus, total. I dont want a new phone... I paid my 650.00 once and I want my phone to last as long as possible. (just like a car when you pay it off, no more car "notes")

Ok... I just looked back through the thread and realize you got your phone in spring of 2014..... you are correct... you have no need for a new phone. As for me.... my final phone payment was July of 2015...... and I said then... i would just wait til the HTC flagship of 2016 to come out before i would buy another one. The only problem with my phone is the battery life is very poor when i use it alot, and since it has a unibody frame...... there is no way of just removing the battery and replacing it. I reallly dont need a phone with a QHD display... and I dont crave a bigger phone either. If I cant find the Ten.....I'll either just wait until spring of 2017 and HOPE that HTC is still in business and HOPE that T-mobile sells the flagship.... or wait til the fall and see if Tmobile sells the new Google Nexus.. which will be built by HTC this year.

basic phones are rare but they still make them because there is a market for them with the elderly.

that should make them popular here on the boneyard :cool:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Ok... I just looked back through the thread and realize you got your phone in spring of 2014..... you are correct... you have no need for a new phone. As for me.... my final phone payment was July of 2015. and I said then... i would just wait til the HTC flagship of 2016 to come out before i would buy another one. The only problem with my phone is the battery life is very poor when i use it alot, and since it has a unibody frame. there is no way of just removing the battery and replacing it. I reallly dont need a phone with a QHD display... and I dont crave a bigger phone either. If I cant find the Ten.....I'll either just wait until spring of 2017 and HOPE that HTC is still in business and HOPE that T-mobile sells the flagship.... or wait til the fall and see if Tmobile sells the new Google Nexus.. which will be built by HTC this year.

that should make them popular here on the boneyard :cool:
battery is a problem with the Galaxy S4... thats why I have a spare battery on long trips/events and refuse to get an IPhone, cant replace battery, also the new Galaxy 7 battery can not be changed, if I remember correctly. Also IPhones do not have the SD Card slots... I hate limits.

My daughter had an Incredible... which I think was an HTC phone (Droid), it was cool... smart phone in its early stages

Reaction Score
I went the cheap route for a smart phones... Project FI . Bought a nexus 6, 64 gb on black Friday for $229.00.
I average $23.50 per month for the plan... unlimited calls, stay on wifi so my data fee is never charged...

Got a free second sim card for my ipad mini to use if I need it.No charge for a tablet, just the data. I then added a nexus 5x for $200 from Google to have a "pocket phone", the 6 is a big screen phone. I can switch to any device in a minute depending on which one I need as often as I wish, right on the device...The 5x is a great phone.. charges in about 1/2 hour and fits in a pocket.

Project FI is a Google service that uses Tmobile and Sprint towers and they just added another carrier as well...it picks the strongest signal and uses that carrier. I never had a problem. Price is $20 for phone service, $10/gb for data, about $3.50 for taxes.

The best feature of FI is if you travel overseas, everything works the same, and costs the same as here in most places.

So for $429 I have 2 good phones, 1 always charged and the display on the 2 are twins.... I just choose the size for the day...:) but mostly in the summer I stayed with the 5x...no coat pockets yet for the 6...

One other great feature... If the active phone gets a call, the other phone gets a notification as well, so I can leave my phone in the car if I'm in an out, and still know when I get a call...... in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom