OT: Smart phone help.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Smart phone help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DanDar

Not an iphone fan at all, but how can you say you can not afford that when it's the same price as the DNA or Razr Maxx HD? They are all $199.

If you want free, I'm sure you'll be able to get Galaxy S3 for free once the S4 comes out. Razr HD should be close to free by July as well. Both have SD slot so you can throw in extra memory if you want.

Reaction Score
I have an ipad and macbook, so I tried to convince myself the iphone was the way to go. But after I did research, it just didnt stand up to two android phones. I went with the Droid Razr Max. Fantastic battery life and great performance. I have also heard good things about the samsung galaxy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Anyone use pagepluscellular.com for long distance & data service? Thinking of switching to them. Pricing is excellent, (pay as you go & no contract) particularly for low volume users like me. Runs on the Verizon network. If it wasn't for wrong numbers and lower my credit card interest rate offers, I wouldn't need a cell phone.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There is only one phone to consider..... The Samsung Galaxy S IV...... :D Thats the phone Im waiting for..... hope it will be in stores when i can upgrade in May. It will have a SD card slot.... will likely have a 32 G version...... a huge screen with full 1080 HD..... great camera... everything you can possibly want in a android phone. ;) Another great phone is the new HTC One that will be out in a few weeks ...... its a bit smaller... but has a great build quality.

Yet, I bought the HTC One :p . And it was an easy decision. After 5 weeks of waiting and waiting, calling and calling, and frustration and more frustration..... I finally got my paws on my HTC One yesterday.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Has anyone switched phones since this thread was made last year ?? My HTC One died on me last week :( I hit restart.. and the phone never came back on.... lost all my texts, pics, and unfortunately lost my great videos i took at this years ACC Tourney. Unfortunately the phone had no SD Card and a non-removable battery Learned a valuable lesson the hard way.... BACK UP YOUR CELL PHONE..... either to your computer, sd card or to a cloud service

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Has anyone switched phones since this thread was made last year ?? My HTC One died on me last week :( I hit restart.. and the phone never came back on.... lost all my texts, pics, and unfortunately lost my great videos i took at this years ACC Tourney. Unfortunately the phone had no SD Card and a non-removable battery Learned a valuable lesson the hard way.... BACK UP YOUR CELL PHONE..... either to your computer, sd card or to a cloud service
In the year since, I have gone from a dumb phone to a stratosphere to a Galaxy S4 - I don't use a lot of the smart features, but I am finding the Galaxy easy to use. My wife just switched to the Galaxy Note last week (how I got her old S4) and she is thus far thrilled - especially that it has a stylus and you can write on it.

We got both the last 2 phones at Costco and saved quite a bit vs. the Verizon store, and much more confident in the vendor Costco uses than some "who knows" at a kiosk in the mall.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
In the year since, I have gone from a dumb phone to a stratosphere to a Galaxy S4 - I don't use a lot of the smart features, but I am finding the Galaxy easy to use. My wife just switched to the Galaxy Note last week (how I got her old S4) and she is thus far thrilled - especially that it has a stylus and you can write on it.

We got both the last 2 phones at Costco and saved quite a bit vs. the Verizon store, and much more confident in the vendor Costco uses than some "who knows" at a kiosk in the mall.

The woman I spoke to at Verizon directed me to go to another store like Amazon to save money.....I will always like Verizon for that.....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
for those waiting with baited breath....I ended up with Galaxy S 3

While waiting in the the store on Monday to return my loaner phone..... I looked at he S 5, guess it hit the stores last Friday....... they were nice.... of course they also had the S4 and S3 available

Reaction Score
While waiting in the the store on Monday to return my loaner phone..... I looked at he S 5, guess it hit the stores last Friday.. they were nice.... of course they also had the S4 and S3 available

I pre ordered the S5 and got it last week and it is absolutely unreal.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I went from basic (LG Octane, keyboard for texting mostly) to a Galaxy S4... also from Verizon to Sprint due to Sprint having unlimited data unlike Verizon that has tiered data plans.

the Smart phone is fun especially when you're waiting around, wasting time. Im not a huge "talking on the phone" guy so voice clarity and dropped calls dont matter to me (people say Sprint sucks)

I did a lot of stuff on my tablet so Im aware of apps etc. so my upgrade to a Smart Phone wasnt a big deal.

the only reason I upgraded was Verizon had discounted the Octane (couldnt hear callers unless it was "flipped" open and on speakerphone) and didnt have similiar "media" phones that I liked.

I was a long time Verizon customer but the "limited" data ran me away... hate being so confined. I was going to do T-Mobile but I didnt think the company had a big enough name like Sprint.

with Sprint I have unlimited everything... minutes, text and data

btw the Galaxy S4 is amazing... the little bells and whistles these things have is "off the hook"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
you didnt even have it a year?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I pre ordered the S5 and got it last week and it is absolutely unreal.

I bet so... it looked nice in the store.. and ive seen and read reviews on it..... but it seems like it could be complicated... too many bells and whistles. The HTC One just feels and looks so awesome...... perhaps less features.... but a more solid build to it.

you didnt even have it a year?

A little over 10 months....... :( I still recommend HTC.... there is always gonna be one lemon in the bunch.. and i happened to get it

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This is what happens when phones become smarter than their owners.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Im happy with my Galaxy S4... 3 months in, my first smart phone ever!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Pretty soon we will need to have pockets on pants large enough to hold a mini pad.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Icebear said:
Pretty soon we will need to have pockets on pants large enough to hold a mini pad.
some suits come with iPad pockets now!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Just for an update, I cancelled my Verizon contract, bought a Nexus5 directly from Google Play for $350 and now am on Straight-Talk for $45/month. No contract, unlimited talk and text and 2.5gb of 4G and unlimited 3G. Because I bought the Nexus directly from Google, it's pure android so I can tether for no extra cost. Turns out when you buy a subsidized phone you pay about double for the phone over the life of the contract. And the Nexus5 is the best phone I've ever used (its gsm so I can slip sim cards in if I travel overseas).

Straight-Talk is Walmart which buys AT&T minutes and resells them. So I have AT&T as my carrier.

I had Verizon wireless for 24 years and worried about the service on AT&T. No problem and I've traveled from CT to Texas, to WA and CA as well.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
HTC is done with ROM upgrades for the HTC One, so I had to root it to install a custom KitKat rom. KitKat 4.4.2 requires much less ram and is much snappier because of that, but the biggest reason for KitKat over JB are the printing capabilities.

Didnt want to continue to hijack the other thread, so I replied to you in this one. :p When you say that HTC is done with ROM upgrades, what exactly do you mean? Alot of people I know which Androids have rooted their phones...... but I have never attempted to do that.... for fear of messing up and voiding my warranty/insurance/whatever.

What do you think about Blinkfeed.... do you still use it, or did you turn it off ?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just for an update, I cancelled my Verizon contract, bought a Nexus5 directly from Google Play for $350 and now am on Straight-Talk for $45/month. No contract, unlimited talk and text and 2.5gb of 4G and unlimited 3G. Because I bought the Nexus directly from Google, it's pure android so I can tether for no extra cost. Turns out when you buy a subsidized phone you pay about double for the phone over the life of the contract. And the Nexus5 is the best phone I've ever used (its gsm so I can slip sim cards in if I travel overseas).

Straight-Talk is Walmart which buys AT&T minutes and resells them. So I have AT&T as my carrier.

I had Verizon wireless for 24 years and worried about the service on AT&T. No problem and I've traveled from CT to Texas, to WA and CA as well.
24 year? guess you're talking about pagers as well. Page New England

Reaction Score
Didnt want to continue to hijack the other thread, so I replied to you in this one. :p When you say that HTC is done with ROM upgrades, what exactly do you mean? Alot of people I know which Androids have rooted their phones. but I have never attempted to do that.... for fear of messing up and voiding my warranty/insurance/whatever.

What do you think about Blinkfeed.... do you still use it, or did you turn it off ?
Blinkfeed was ok for a few days, but I got tired of it and don't use it anymore. My current phone, the HTC One X, is at end of service for HTC, so they don't release any new versions of Android for it--forcing me to go with rooting and a custom Kitkat ROM, or upgrading my phone, which is only a year old. I've been rooting for a bunch of years, so it was a no brainer for me. Rooting your phone DOES void your warranty, so do so at your own risk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom