OT: Smart phone help.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Smart phone help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Blinkfeed was ok for a few days, but I got tired of it and don't use it anymore. My current phone, the HTC One X, is at end of service for HTC, so they don't release any new versions of Android for it--forcing me to go with rooting and a custom Kitkat ROM, or upgrading my phone, which is only a year old. I've been rooting for a bunch of years, so it was a no brainer for me. Rooting your phone DOES void your warranty, so do so at your own risk...

Ok, you have the HTC One X... I was thinking that you had the HTC One like me. That One X is a sweet looking phone too.... It makes sense now when you mentioned the end of the ROM upgrades..... I still have my Samsung Galaxy S... they stopped updating that after gingerbread. Rooting has intrigued me for awhile...... but like i stated before... it scares me too much to actually do it.

Blinkfeed is cool... I have mine set for ESPN and Chow.com .... I turned it off for a few minutes the other day just to see how it would look without it... but turned it back on after a few minutes.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
24 year? guess you're talking about pagers as well. Page New England
I actually had a rather large Motorola cell phone back in the mid to late 80's I think I started in 86 but could have been 88. I blame the radiation for my hair loss.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As to Verizon - since we had cell phone service, we have had Verizon. Of course, in NJ, had Verizon for land line as well, and eventually internet.

I had a couple of other carriers through work back in the day, but none were superior to Verizon and one was worse. Of course, my company did try to contract with the cheapest service they could find.

While I may be in the "smart phone" world, the only "smart" things I do are:
- check the calendar (maintained by my wife)
- very occasionally text (like texting someone she was with to tell her to turn her phone on)
- occasionally look something up on the net

I know this means I am still in the dark ages - but . . .

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I actually had a rather large Motorola cell phone back in the mid to late 80's I think I started in 86 but could have been 88. I blame the radiation for my hair loss.
only people that had cell phones in the 80's were business men and shady characters, which one were you? lol
images

I started right here:
images

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
DaddyChoc said:
only people that had cell phones in the 80's were business men and shady characters, which one were you? lol I started right here:
I had that second one. Used to impress people when I would order a pizza during soccer games for the kids after game. I guess I was a shady businessman - had my own budgets and no oversights!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I still have mine... but I can't load apps onto it lol

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I currently have a 4s but am eligible for an upgrade. Any experts out there with advice on whether to go to a 5s/c or wait for the supposed 6 coming this fall? My 4s is 64G, so it's probable that any 5s left when the 6 comes out would not be that big.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I currently have a 4s but am eligible for an upgrade. Any experts out there with advice on whether to go to a 5s/c or wait for the supposed 6 coming this fall? My 4s is 64G, so it's probable that any 5s left when the 6 comes out would not be that big.

Are you married to Iphones, or are you willing to try out an Android device ? If you are married..... you might as well wait for the 6.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Are you married to Iphones, or are you willing to try out an Android device ? If you are married..... you might as well wait for the 6.

Yes, married to iPhone. I think I'll wait, as there's really no rush right now, other than the sparkle of a new phone. Either way, I'll have to get new case, cables, etc.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ok... 2 yrs later the Gs4 is acting up... Sprint wants me to get the Gs7 which I'm trying to avoid after taking 2 yrs to pay for the 4s ($25.00/month)

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear about your GS4 acting up. I got a Samsung Note 4 and I know they are kind of pricey. Did you consider the google phones? The GS7 Note are $850.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I, too, am still using a dumb phone. Not planning on spending the $$ on a smart phone anytime soon, neither! ;)
FWIW, they are pretty reasonable and once you use one you'll come to appreciate having a phone/camera/computer/tv at your finger tips.

In July I can upgrade my mobile phone and was looking at getting a smart phone. I am one of the few in the US that still has a regular mobile phone....:).....

I want a phone that has a large screen and can hold a lot songs and audio books. I originally looked at the Droid DNA but found out that it only has 16gig of space and you can not use a SD card. My question is which phone is the best taking into account space and battery life??

My wife says to get the iPhone 5 but I can't afford that and I am not a big Apple fan....please help...LOL

@ABachelor6CR , I've been a droid guy forever and I got an iPhone 6 the last go round at my family's insistance. They are great phones, and very user friendly if you've never had a smart phone before. But Apple does tend to push you into Apple products at every turn. I suspect that you will find it an annoyance if you are not an iTunes guy. It can be worked around, but with effort. I've maxed out my storage and love to be able to swap in a new micro SD card. That's not an option with the iPhone.

The iPhone is fine but, next go round, I'll go back to a Galaxy. They are good phones, more readily customizable, have better camera's and bigger screens.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have had an iphone 3/4 whatever & iphone 5 and love them! I have NO tech skills at all, zilch, if I turn on my iphone or computer and they start up I do a victory dance! It surprises me what I can do with the iphone!
images

I had something like this back in the 1980's when I was coaching HS Wrestling and would use it for my wrestler's to get their rides home. Or to call my Mom (since passed) who was in a retirement home to let her know I was still alive when I was on the road.
All my friends said I was the only person that carried a phone booth around where ever I went!
I stepped up to a flip phone and then an iphone huge moves on my part.
I have a lot of apps (free of course) all put in folder like groups, 1 for BASEBALL, 1 for WBB, then LIFESTYLE 1 and LIFESTYLE 2, TRAVEL, EDUCATION, MUSIC, etc. 25+ folders! Being an excessive compulsive personality makes it super organized!
I would love to move up to a 6s or a 7 but I'd have to sell my first male child to help pay for it and I don't have kids so I guess I'll stick with my 5s!
I don't text, too much thinking and hand/eye coordination for this 68 year old! Just phone, internet, & email.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
In July I can upgrade my mobile phone and was looking at getting a smart phone. I am one of the few in the US that still has a regular mobile phone....:).....

I want a phone that has a large screen and can hold a lot songs and audio books. I originally looked at the Droid DNA but found out that it only has 16gig of space and you can not use a SD card. My question is which phone is the best taking into account space and battery life??

My wife says to get the iPhone 5 but I can't afford that and I am not a big Apple fan....please help...LOL

Like many have said before, get a Samsung Galaxy.. as new a version as your wallet will allow. I don't know the specifics because I'm an Apple iPhone guy so it seems like there are a thousand different versions of the Galaxy to me... but that sounds like the perfect phone for you.

If I wasn't married to Apple products (you can say I'm part of the cult.. I have the iPhone, Macbook, iPad, Apple TV, iMac etc.) then my first choice would be the Samsung Galaxy, but I'm neck deep in Apple products, which I don't mind.. I've been using them for years so I can literally operate them all with my eyes closed and Apple products "talk to one another" more easily than other products, mainly because they were built for users to move from device to device seamlessly. I also enjoy how Apple products "learn" their users... after a while they instinctively begin to pick up your user habits and they do things for you. Apple also has amazing customer service and their store employees are extremely helpful. I never walk by an Apple store without going in... sometimes I just walk in and tell the Apple "Genius", the customer associate, to teach me something new about my phone or Macbook and they do it right there on the spot.

BUT, you're not an Apple person :)... so get the Galaxy ___ (whatever version is the latest).

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just got a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Really nice phone.
the S7 Edge is the top of the line over the regular S7 correct... sometimes the extra wording means its a little less than the "main one". in the case "Edge" means bonus stuff, better etc

Reaction Score
the S7 Edge is the top of the line over the regular S7 correct... sometimes the extra wording means its a little less than the "main one". in the case "Edge" means bonus stuff, better etc

The "Edge" refers to the display that wraps around the edge of the phone. They have the exact same specs except the S7 has a 3000mah battery and the S7 Edge has a 3600mah battery.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The "Edge" refers to the display that wraps around the edge of the phone. They have the exact same specs except the S7 has a 3000mah battery and the S7 Edge has a 3600mah battery.
I think one is bigger than the other as well, correct?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Wife is right. Get an Iphone. As to cost, go to Rio, rob some American swimmers at a gas station... Oh. Wait. No.

But yeah. Iphone.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wow... just found out that my carrier T-mobile... stopped selling the flagship HTC 10 on its website in july.... after only 2 months

sad-dog.jpg

My only hope now is to go to call t-mobile store in town to see if they have any left in inventory...... I cant see myself getting a Apple or a Samsung... I cant.... I wont... :mad:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
forked over $75.00 to get my camera lens replaced... I think it broke after falling off the nightstand. The picture was blurry and would never focus after the fall. I took it to a Sprint store, tech said it appears to be the lens.... BUT if its not (the lens) we'll charge you 350.00 for a replacement phone or you can buy the latest for 750.00.

ummmmmm you're telling me its the lens, soooooooo replace the lens, I'll give you the 75.00 for your time and we can move on.

I sat there and watch him take my phone apart (tons of little screws) R&R the lens, screw it back together... clicked on the camera "app" zoomed in, focused showed it to me and we were all set.

refuse to pay 750.00 for a new phone when my current one does all I need it to do

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
forked over $75.00 to get my camera lens replaced... I think it broke after falling off the nightstand. The picture was blurry and would never focus after the fall. I took it to a Sprint store, tech said it appears to be the lens.... BUT if its not (the lens) we'll charge you 350.00 for a replacement phone or you can buy the latest for 750.00.

ummmmmm you're telling me its the lens, soooooooo replace the lens, I'll give you the 75.00 for your time and we can move on.

I sat there and watch him take my phone apart (tons of little screws) R&R the lens, screw it back together... clicked on the camera "app" zoomed in, focused showed it to me and we were all set.

refuse to pay 750.00 for a new phone when my current one does all I need it to do

Im not sure how Sprint does.... but Im with Tmobile and they give you the option on spreading the payments out. In the end you pay the same amount... just it hurts less than shelling out 600 plus dollars upfront.

I went to the T-mobile store for the first time in almost a year....... no HTC 10's to be found... plenty of Samsungs and Iphones though Head bang Called another store and they told me they discontinued carrying it. Guess imma have to call every T-mobile store within a 75 mile radius to see if they have one left.... all i need is one :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Im sure the galaxy's and notes are fine phones..... and iphones are probably decent as well...... but its nothing like holding a HTC phone.......... they are such a beautiful object :cool:

Reaction Score
Am I the only admitted cheapskate here?
I did not NEED a smart phone (I've still got 6,000 minutes on my flip phone from Tracfone.)
I've had great luck with a supposed "refurb" Samsung Note 4 (looked brand new to me) from a USA based seller on E-Bay.

FWIW: As I work out of a home office, I have a minimal use plan from T-Mobile($4. monthly for 50 calls and 500 MG Data). I mostly use Wifi for the little bit of Texting I do and certain apps.

I DID use the Wifi in Europe with a FreedomPop Hot Spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom