OT Six tvs crapped out in the last 7 years. | The Boneyard

OT Six tvs crapped out in the last 7 years.

Reaction Score
Yet my hdmi Gateway 22" monitor keeps chugging along at 14 years.
Something is rotten in Denmark.

Reaction Score
What brand(s)? I've had really good luck with SONYs. Current one is 12 years old- last one older than that.

Reaction Score
I no longer have a TV. Spectrum streams it’s content, so I just use my IMac. It sure saves space; my office is a music studio, so the living room has to double as an office. ( widowed retirees don’t need houses)

Reaction Score
My first flat screen Sony LCD and two LEDs still working fine - a Sony and a Samsung 4K.

I've three VUZI's, one a 32 works okay but of the other two no longer accept input commands from the remote and while I can still turn them on manually I can only operate one thru an HDMI port, the other has to use an RGB port. They are both on the way to the dump as soon as I get motivated.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
We've had Panasonics for 14 years, two of which are now in CT, one in an unheated 3-season room, the other in a room where the temp is in 40s for most of winter, and they both still work. We are considering an upgrade to OLED or QLED but not in a rush.

Reaction Score
Dang!!! You know you have to turn them off from time to time. lol:)

Reaction Score
Please Stand By State Champs GIF by Pure Noise Records

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm lucky but, I used my 33" Samsung for - at least - 5 years, then re-purposed it for the primary monitor on my desk top for another (at least) 5 years.
As a TV it worked - maybe - 2 hours a day but - as a monitor - it averages 10-plus hours a day.

Reaction Score
We generally uses Sony, Samsung or LG. All three will last a long time. My son has our old VIZIO from about 5 years ago. Still works fine. Ironically, I got my MIL a 46" Sanyo to get her by until we could get a better one. That was 7 years ago. Still works fine, so, who knows.....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’ve got a 55 inch LG LED 1080p. I’m waiting for it to die so that I can upgrade to 4K. It’s probably about five years old now. But like @BRS24, I’m in no real hurry to do it. The picture is still very good.

My only complaint is that there is some kind of issue with YouTube TV that makes it come across at standard definition unless I Chromecast it to the TV. It was a mild annoyance at first, but now I’m used to using my phone for YouTube TV and then casting. Everything else is fine on it the TV.

Reaction Score
The first was a Seiki. 49"
#2 Sanyo 42"
#3 Olevia' 42"
#4 TCL 55"
#5 TCL 55"
#6 Hisense 58"

I currently have A 65" Onn, a 65" Hisense and a 55" TCL

Reaction Score
Sometimes you can get parts and fix them. Shop Jimmy has most of them pretty cheap.
If the screen goes blank from a blown LED backlight forget about it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
#2 Sanyo 42"
#3 Olevia' 42"
#4 TCL 55"
#5 TCL 55"
#6 Hisense 58"

Well there's your problem. You get what you pay for. I've had nothing but Sony's and LG's. There's a reason why they're so costly in comparison to TCL's and Hisense (Seiki? Olevia? Onn?): They last. They have better screens with better color reproduction, more detail, better blacks, better whites, and deal with motion better. They're just better TV's. They also (generally) have good customer service. If you'd have purchased a 55" Sony instead of a 55" TCL we wouldn't be having this conversation. You'd also have saved money in the long run.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well there's your problem. You get what you pay for. I've had nothing but Sony's and LG's. There's a reason why they're so costly in comparison to TCL's and Hisense (Seiki? Olevia? Onn?): They last. They have better screens with better color reproduction, more detail, better blacks, better whites, and deal with motion better. They're just better TV's. They also (generally) have good customer service. If you'd have purchased a 55" Sony instead of a 55" TCL we wouldn't be having this conversation. You'd also have saved money in the long run.
I’m inclined to agree, somewhat, but the TCL‘s are getting a lot of respect lately.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I’m inclined to agree, somewhat, but the TCL‘s are getting a lot of respect lately.
For picture quality and reasonable pricing. Not for durability...and no one says their picture quality is equal to Sony's, Samsung's, Panasonic's, or LG's.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My Samsung is 11 years old and works fine. With a great picture.

Now my DirecTV Genie device - not so much, going into hard drive failure and the "upgraded" newer devices do not support some features I like.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Had a pioneer Kuro plasma 50" for 12-13 years. I cried when it died, figuring I'd never match that plasma kuro picture quality. Bit the bullet and went with LG OLED 65" a couple of years ago and the picture is even better. It wasn't cheap, but when I walk past the TVs in Target, I'm happy I spent the money. Just hoping it lasts. I think we're 2-3 years in. If anyone is interested in an old Toshiba, top of the line 36" CRT television, come pick it up for free. It was state of the art in it's time and people would ask to come over to watch UConn games on it. Now I'm wondering how the heck I ever carried it upstairs to the bonus room myself 15 years ago. I have trouble pushing it on a furniture dolly now. LOL

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Had a CRT Toshiba, but the power supply was a weak link and failed three times before I gave up. Got a Sony Bravia that lasted 10 years before the picture quality began to slightly decline. Still works in the spare room. Bought a Roku TCL three years ago , and it has been very good so far. It was very affordable and I hope it gets me to some newer technology in a few more years.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Yet my hdmi Gateway 22" monitor keeps chugging along at 14 years.
Something is rotten in Denmark.
Do you have your computer with electronic protection, surge suppression? Your TVs?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
#2 Sanyo 42"
#3 Olevia' 42"
#4 TCL 55"
#5 TCL 55"
#6 Hisense 58"

What are the failure modes? Is there a common thread? Same circuit? What is power source? You might try conditioned power supply if any of the above are repetitive issues. Seems to be an inordinate amount of failures in short time period.

Reaction Score
60” Panasonic Plasma. Would like to upgrade to LG OLED but not until the Plasma dies. With these old eyes the Plasma still is better than todays LED’s.

Reaction Score
I had a 25" tube Magnavox stereo console that was still chugging at 25 years. Yes the picture faded as it got older.

Yes, I have surge protectors on all of them.

The 65" Onn was purchased a year ago last November at Walmart for $228. Has HDR.

The TCL had the boards replaced by me for $80 when it was just out of warranty. Has HDR,. New it cost $400.

The Hisense was purchased last November for $498 at Walmart.
As soon as I got it home, the price dropped to $448. Has HDR.
I bought a 4 year warranty for $60. It replaced a 58" Hisense just out of warranty that cost $278

All 3 sets have good picture and color quality.
No they aren't as good as a QLED or OLED set but you really have to nitpick to see the difference.

Two of the failed sets blew LEDS on the backlights. I cracked both screens trying to repair them. Consider it nearly impossible.
Some of the other sets had lousy part availability .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom