OT Six tvs crapped out in the last 7 years. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Six tvs crapped out in the last 7 years.

Reaction Score
By chance S K Lavery you mentioned is on Sackett Point RD in North Haven? Although I didn't give name and city of appliance store I was talking about in my original post, it's Art's TV & Appliances on State St also in North Haven.
My kitchen was renovated in 2014. I purchased a Frig, Stove, dishwasher and microwave through their Glastonbury showroom which I believed they had just opened. At that time I thought thier main office was in New Haven but checking their website they only list a Newington location in addition to Glastonbury. The Newington site would most likely be their main office. This summer we purchased a washer and dryer from them through the website. Shopping the web, ordering the merchandise and delivery/installation was very efficient. An overall pleasant experience.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Well there's your problem. You get what you pay for. I've had nothing but Sony's and LG's. There's a reason why they're so costly in comparison to TCL's and Hisense (Seiki? Olevia? Onn?): They last. They have better screens with better color reproduction, more detail, better blacks, better whites, and deal with motion better. They're just better TV's. They also (generally) have good customer service. If you'd have purchased a 55" Sony instead of a 55" TCL we wouldn't be having this conversation. You'd also have saved money in the long run.
I've got to agree here. A better brand is no guarantee of a long life, but a crap brand is a guarantee of an early demise. Also, surge suppressors don't last forever. Every time there's a surge, it eats away a little at the protection – I forget what it's called. So when I changed sets from my pioneer to my LG, I swapped out the surge suppressor outlet while I had the set down. Just takes a few minutes.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yet my hdmi Gateway 22" monitor keeps chugging along at 14 years.
Something is rotten in Denmark.
What can damage a TV screen?
  • Some common activities that can cause physical damage are:
  • Finger pressure when trying to move or turn the television.
  • Spraying liquid cleaner on the screen, which can enter between the screen layers.
  • Slight flexing or bending of the panel when trying to move it.
  • Burning, warping, or melting due to an external heat source.
  • Extreme heat, cold, humidity, or moisture can permanently damage the display a flat screen TV.
  • Humidity can short out circuitry inside the TV.
  • Extreme heat or cold can disrupt the ability of the pixels to change color properly.
  • Flat screen TV's use a considerable amount of energy when compared with other home electronics. Fluctuations in electricity levels, either from problems with your energy provider or from connectivity issues in your home, can fry circuitry and damage pixels. Using a surge protector at all times helps to mitigate this threat.
  • Burn-in occurs on a screen when a static image is prolonged on the screen for an extended period of time -- the pixels on the television become stuck in a fixed position, Be sure not to leave a static image, like a paused movie, on the screen for extended periods of time, and don't leave menu screens idle for too long.

Reaction Score
I have a 65" LG OLED and have zero burn in problems. And we do a lot of binge watching. I had that same Pioneer and I could have cried when it died. But its death did allow me to move up to larger. I wanted to go bigger than 65, but my wife thinks it would look funny to fill the entire space above the mantle. Not worth the discussion.
If I get that Sony OLED I'm going to have to constantly remind my wife to change the channel once an hour from CNN or whatever she's watching which I'm really not looking forward to.............I have another Panasonic plasma tv in my office and it's constantly on CNBC during the week.........it's got the stock scrolls burned into the screen but luckily you don't really notice when there's another show on........you'd think they could solve these problems by now........

Reaction Score
When my Hisense blew up, my neighbor's 3 year old Samsung bit the big one a day later She got a Vizio.

Reaction Score
Our ‘good’ TV is a Samsung, we also have a couple of Vizios. We are happy with both brands. Heat kills electronic, so don’t put it near a radiator or over a working fireplace/wood stove/pellet stove.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I've got to agree here. A better brand is no guarantee of a long life, but a crap brand is a guarantee of an early demise. Also, surge suppressors don't last forever. Every time there's a surge, it eats away a little at the protection – I forget what it's called. So when I changed sets from my pioneer to my LG, I swapped out the surge suppressor outlet while I had the set down. Just takes a few minutes.
Filters, can should be a combination of an MOV, A capacitor/resistor combination and a choke. Unless there is a lightning strike the components are static, not doing anything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom