OT Six tvs crapped out in the last 7 years. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Six tvs crapped out in the last 7 years.

Reaction Score
Had a pioneer Kuro plasma 50" for 12-13 years. I cried when it died, figuring I'd never match that plasma kuro picture quality. Bit the bullet and went with LG OLED 65" a couple of years ago and the picture is even better. It wasn't cheap, but when I walk past the TVs in Target, I'm happy I spent the money. Just hoping it lasts. I think we're 2-3 years in. If anyone is interested in an old Toshiba, top of the line 36" CRT television, come pick it up for free. It was state of the art in it's time and people would ask to come over to watch UConn games on it. Now I'm wondering how the heck I ever carried it upstairs to the bonus room myself 15 years ago. I have trouble pushing it on a furniture dolly now. LOL
I've got a 50" Pioneer Kuro taking up space in my den..........great set but I just wanted something much bigger.........purchased the top of the line Sony 75" 95J LED and it's fine but not as good as the Pioneer........I think I'm returning it for the Sony 80J OLED set which should be more plasma like.......only concern is burn in from those damn logos on the corner of the screen that all these cable stations use now....

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
For picture quality and reasonable pricing. Not for durability...and no one says their picture quality is equal to Sony's, Samsung's, Panasonic's, or LG's.
Mine's definitely better than the Samsung it replaced.

I'm on my third TV since 1990.

To the OP: do you have your TV on a surge suppressor? I'm sure your monitor is. When I saw your post the first thing that occurred to me was spikes in your electric service.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've got a 50" Pioneer Kuro taking up space in my den..........great set but I just wanted something much bigger.........purchased the top of the line Sony 75" 95J LED and it's fine but not as good as the Pioneer........I think I'm returning it for the Sony 80J OLED set which should be more plasma like.......only concern is burn in from those damn logos on the corner of the screen that all these cable stations use now....
Do OLEDs get burn in?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I had a 25" tube Magnavox stereo console that was still chugging at 25 years. Yes the picture faded as it got older.

Yes, I have surge protectors on all of them.

The 65" Onn was purchased a year ago last November at Walmart for $228. Has HDR.

The TCL had the boards replaced by me for $80 when it was just out of warranty. Has HDR,. New it cost $400.

The Hisense was purchased last November for $498 at Walmart.
As soon as I got it home, the price dropped to $448. Has HDR.
I bought a 4 year warranty for $60. It replaced a 58" Hisense just out of warranty that cost $278

All 3 sets have good picture and color quality.
No they aren't as good as a QLED or OLED set but you really have to nitpick to see the difference.

Two of the failed sets blew LEDS on the backlights. I cracked both screens trying to repair them. Consider it nearly impossible.
Some of the other sets had lousy part availability .
Any other problems with equipment or appliances?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Mine's definitely better than the Samsung it replaced.

I'm on my third TV since 1990.

To the OP: do you have your TV on a surge suppressor? I'm sure your monitor is. When I saw your post the first thing that occurred to me was spikes in your electric service.
All of my three desktops systems (monitors, external sound systems, active speakers) are on power filters. One on a Panamax the other two on a Furman. My gaming system is on a Furman. My living room TV, receiver, cable system, both 4K players and ROKU are on a different Furman. My bedroom AV system and desktop is on an old Monster Cable. My hifi audio system is on a much more expensive PS Audio Power Regenerator. My living room audio system however is also on two separate dedicated lines from my kitchen electrical panel, completely protected from surges (and RF) from all my other equipment. Everything except my amplifiers which are plugged straight into the wall. I don't take chances.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
6 TV's in 7 years the problem is not the TV. Tell your electric service provider to put a surge protector on your house.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Do OLEDs get burn in?
The older the OLED the more susceptible. The newer ones use certain algorithms to freshen the screen. Some do it when you manually turn off the TV, some automatically at random times. If SONY TV's detect a problem you'll see a notification on the screen and they'll run a pass to free up stuck OLED pixels. Nevertheless, whenever you buy an OLED you must do three things once you get them home. 1) Change the visual mode the TV is in. Most are in a default Vivid or even a "Store" mode, which is like gunning your car engine all day. It'll shorten the lifespan of the OLED drastically. For LCD based TV's newly purchased, the picture will be unrealistically bright and washed out. That needs to be changed either to a Cinema mode or an equivalent, which lowers the temperature of the TV. Go online, search Reviews and Ratings for proper calibration settings of your particular TV. 2) Update your TV via the internet. Go into the settings, set up your internet settings (I always plug in an ethernet chord, then switch to wireless once updated) and update your TV. Sometimes new TV's, OLED or not, won't work properly without the latest updates. Sometimes certain features are introduced after the TV is manufactured. Finally, 3) Baby your OLED for the first 100 hours at least. Avoid TV shows with stationary glyphs in the corners and/or information trails at the top or bottom such as news shows, or network shows that show the network call letters at the bottom right (ABC, NBC, etc.). Anything that shows stationary figures, boxes, or objects (such as video games) for long periods should definitely be avoided during the first 100 hours. After those 100 or 200 hours you'll be fine.

Reaction Score
The other big problem is service. There are very few repair shops
(Tampa area) and you're looking at $300 minimum for a repair.

Reaction Score
60” Panasonic Plasma. Would like to upgrade to LG OLED but not until the Plasma dies. With these old eyes the Plasma still is better than todays LED’s.
I also have a plasma (Samsung) and want to replace it eventually with an OLED. But the damn thing won't die!

Reaction Score
The house got hit by lightning a few years ago. Or at least it was very close. It knocked out my lawn irrigation system, the garage door opener, and every electronic that wasn't hooked up to a surge protector, including an old computer, 2 TVs, and two cable boxes. I then got a whole house surge protector but I suspect it's just a big empty box with a huge warranty.;)

Reaction Score
For picture quality and reasonable pricing. Not for durability...and no one says their picture quality is equal to Sony's, Samsung's, Panasonic's, or LG's.
We had to have major work done to our LG, but were lucky it was covered by warranty. Also had a small Vizio that stopped working as a tv, so it got repurposed as a monitor for a while. When we bit the bullet and went to OLED, it was a Sony. No complaints with Sony.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We had to have major work done to our LG, but were lucky it was covered by warranty. Also had a small Vizio that stopped working as a tv, so it got repurposed as a monitor for a while. When we bit the bullet and went to OLED, it was a Sony. No complaints with Sony.
What is OLED noticeably better? Did you go up and resolution at the same time?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Me too. I bought a SONY OLED 8G 55" a few years ago and a 65" A80J recently. No problems. I had one of the first flatscreens, the SONY XBR 3. I purchased it in 2006, and it lasted 10 years until I gave it to my nephew and it fell off a wall. Never a problem.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
6 TV's in 7 years the problem is not the TV. Tell your electric service provider to put a surge protector on your house.
Also have all service connections checked, including the ground cables and bar.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The other big problem is service. There are very few repair shops
(Tampa area) and you're looking at $300 minimum for a repair.
Which is why it pays to buy from something like Best Buy and get their 3 or 5 year warranty service. I ALWAYS get their warranty. You just don't know.

Reaction Score
I quit using Best Buy. I bought my computer there and they charged me $80 to 'set it up' through Geek Squad. Bull crap.
Two years ago I bought a Samsung dishwasher online and couldn't confirm an installation or get a refund. After 4 phone calls over 3 days, they finally admitted that they didn't have it in stock, had no idea when it would be in stock and issued a refund. Ordered it from Lowe's-no problem.

Reaction Score
I quit using Best Buy. I bought my computer there and they charged me $80 to 'set it up' through Geek Squad. Bull crap.
Two years ago I bought a Samsung dishwasher online and couldn't confirm an installation or get a refund. After 4 phone calls over 3 days, they finally admitted that they didn't have it in stock, had no idea when it would be in stock and issued a refund. Ordered it from Lowe's-no problem.
When it comes to appliances I rather buy from local appliance dealer. Free delivery/installation and take out the old...with a tip of course.

Reaction Score
When it comes to appliances I rather buy from local appliance dealer. Free delivery/installation and take out the old...with a tip of course.
I've had good experiences with S K Lavery

Reaction Score
I lost six tvs at one time.

Boston missing that tip against Stanford will be remember as the Great Day of Liberation from E-Enslavement

Reaction Score
Yet my hdmi Gateway 22" monitor keeps chugging along at 14 years.
Something is rotten in Denmark.
Very unusual. How did they die? If they last for a week, they should last at least a decade. Do you have them on a good surge surpressor?

Reaction Score
What is OLED noticeably better? Did you go up and resolution at the same time?
We had a 49" LG 4k led that was about 4 years old in our living room (replaced a 32" Sony led about 15 years old). When we finished fixing a room in the basement for guests last summer, we tried to put a TCL there, but they no longer had the size we wanted available. We figured we'd upgrade the living room and put the LG downstairs. We now have a Sony Bravia OLED 65" 4k in the living room. The sound from it was good enough to stop using the sound bar we had to use with the LG. The LG downstairs was mounted on an articulating wall mount, and is used by the grandsons for gaming and Roku watching. Win-win.

The new Sony uses an LG display (all OLEDs displays were LG until very recently), and we debated getting the LG tv, but got a deep discount on the Sony, which I felt better with anyway. Our 32" Sony is still being used in an upstairs bedroom and looks great at 20-ish years old.

To my old eyes, the new Sony is a brighter, sharper picture that the older LG was. I tried a few calibration tools on the LG, but it never looked as crisp as I wanted. Haven't touched the Sony controls since we set it up last summer. That pixel/display control is what you pay the extra money for.

Reaction Score
I've had good experiences with S K Lavery
By chance S K Lavery you mentioned is on Sackett Point RD in North Haven? Although I didn't give name and city of appliance store I was talking about in my original post, it's Art's TV & Appliances on State St also in North Haven.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yet my hdmi Gateway 22" monitor keeps chugging along at 14 years.
Something is rotten in Denmark.
Try plugging them into a quality surge protector. Is your PC and monitor protected by a surge protector?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I have a 65" LG OLED and have zero burn in problems. And we do a lot of binge watching. I had that same Pioneer and I could have cried when it died. But its death did allow me to move up to larger. I wanted to go bigger than 65, but my wife thinks it would look funny to fill the entire space above the mantle. Not worth the discussion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom