OT - Revisiting Old Albums | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT - Revisiting Old Albums

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
First Concert Age 4. Concert for Bangladesh (Harrison, Ringo, Clapton, Dylan and way too many other greats.) Madison Square Garden. The matinee show (they did 2 shows that day, one in the afternoon, one in the evening. It was the first time Dylan had performed in public in years)....Thanks Dad.

Second Concert - 1974 Age 7 - Jimmy Buffet and Billy Joel Great southeast Music Hall - Atlanta. Thanks Dad

After that he took me to tons including my first 3 Grateful Dead Shows (5/10/80 Hartford, 3/14/81, Hartford,5/12/81 New Haven)

I had (well still have) a cool Dad. A very straightlaced guy but totally loved music.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Another change of pace, not necessarily classic rock, Lucinda Williams.

Voice, lyrics, music. She has all three in spades.

She was born in 1953 and has recordings going back to the late 70's so she has direct lineage to that timeframe.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Remember sneaking into a lot of the bowl concerts including Led Zeppelin and getting tear gassed at the GD show there

It was too bad they ended the concerts there. It is a huge venue.

Reaction Score
first show-Foghat w/ Richie Blackmore's Rainbow May 29,1978 Springfield civic center. First Tucker show July15,1979 w/Atlanta Rhythm Section also at SCC. "gonna work a week, make a hundred dollars, and hit the road again".

I was at the Rainbow - Foghat SCC show, good time!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Not my first concert I believe, but saw Elton John at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City in 1973. I have a fear of heights/vertigo thing that came into play that night. The seats that we got turned out to be at the very top of the corner of the end zone in the upper deck. As the music played and people stomped their feet and clapped along, the stadium was literally shaking and vibrating. I tried to pay attention to this guy with the big glasses as I waited for the stadium to collapse. Not my favorite concert.

I loved a couple of concerts at the St. Louis Arena....Jethro Tull and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Ian Anderson was a fantastic performer back then. I still wonder about the age-old question that was posed in one Jethro Tull song: "...And your wise men don't know how it feels.......to be......Thick as a Brick." I'm hoping that Fishy will clarify that one from his experience.

Reaction Score
Love this post, gets our minds off of...nevermind.

Didn't get to see many concerts growing up because I grew up overseas. After graduating high school I left home in 1978 and moved to Southern California (talk about a culture shock, from one extreme to another!),it was like stepping into another world or galaxy from what i was used to.

My first concert was in 1979 at the L.A.Coliseum and what a line up (for that time anyways!). The Fabulous Poodles, Boomtown Rats, Head East, April Wine, Eddie Money, Toto, UFO, Cheech & Chong, Van Halen and Aerosmith. Unfortunately, I had to get up early the next morning and go to work, not sure how I did it to be honest. I managed to survive it.

The best concert I went to was in 1982 at the Oregon State Fair Grounds by Eugene, Oregon and the most of the opening acts I don't remember but, as the day went on I saw; New Riders of the Purple Sage followed by Robert Cray Band and then just around sunset the Grateful Dead began their show and they played for about 3 hours straight! What a long strange trip that was! Was not a big fan of theirs...before I saw them, but afterwards, a total different perspective!

Jerry Garcia was awesome! Really, really impressed by the man and that guitar. I was hooked! I could go into a whole long story (that most of the boneyarders could probably relate to), but I don't have much time at the moment.

I've managed to attend a few other concerts as well through the years, but, that is one concert I will never forget. Oh, I somehow (not sure how) managed to survive that one as well!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
First Concert Age 4. Concert for Bangladesh (Harrison, Ringo, Clapton, Dylan and way too many other greats.) Madison Square Garden. The matinee show (they did 2 shows that day, one in the afternoon, one in the evening. It was the first time Dylan had performed in public in years)....Thanks Dad.

Second Concert - 1974 Age 7 - Jimmy Buffet and Billy Joel Great southeast Music Hall - Atlanta. Thanks Dad

After that he took me to tons including my first 3 Grateful Dead Shows (5/10/80 Hartford, 3/14/81, Hartford,5/12/81 New Haven)

I had (well still have) a cool Dad. A very straightlaced guy but totally loved music.

My old man had Concert for Bangladesh on vinyl and introduced me to it at a very young age...greatest live album ever IMO, and had a huge influence on my decision to become a musician.

Reaction Score
I just picked up 8th row seats for the Mavericks at The Indian Ranch in Webster, MA.
Amazing group going back to the early 90's. A few big country hits back then along with some "Best new group" awards
until country radio stopped playing them when they started getting creative & incorporating latin & rockabilly into their tunes.

A great live band with a lead singer, Raul Malo, who could almost be the 2nd coming of Roy Orbison (yes, really!).
Won best duo/group at this year's Americana awards.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can't believe that March is almost over and I haven't seen one mention in the media celebrating the 40th anniversary of that all-time classic album - Silk Degrees. It sounded great, like nothing else on the radio at the time and still holds up. Tons of great songs. Next year we will be overcome by the 50th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper but Silk Degrees? Bupkis. That's not right. Plus, if there was no Silk Degrees, there would be no Toto!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I can't believe that March is almost over and I haven't seen one mention in the media celebrating the 40th anniversary of that all-time classic album - Silk Degrees. It sounded great, like nothing else on the radio at the time and still holds up. Tons of great songs. Next year we will be overcome by the 50th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper but Silk Degrees? Bupkis. That's not right. Plus, if there was no Silk Degrees, there would be no Toto!

Was at SCSU when Boz came out with this album. This is all we heard - it seemed to come from every dorm window. Always hung out at the basketball court in back of Hickerson and Neff Halls. This album and Earth Wind and Fire was non stop - saw lots of great hoops - Soup Campbell and others always came by and played along with Bpt and some NYC dudes also. One of my good friends Neil Mackey from South Windsor went to SCSU with me and this kid could play with the best of them - no kidding. Did wonderfully as a freshman on the SCSU team then just dropped out of school - didn't like the academics

Reaction Score
Was at SCSU when Boz came out with this album. This is all we heard - it seemed to come from every dorm window. Always hung out at the basketball court in back of Hickerson and Neff Halls. This album and Earth Wind and Fire was non stop - saw lots of great hoops - Soup Campbell and others always came by and played along with Bpt and some NYC dudes also. One of my good friends Neil Mackey from South Windsor went to SCSU with me and this kid could play with the best of them - no kidding. Did wonderfully as a freshman on the SCSU team then just dropped out of school - didn't like the academics

Silk Degrees????....1978....Conard HS weekend parties ....this was the album most likely to be played in the dimly lit, makeout rooms. :D

Reaction Score

Were you the designated driver?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I love this thread! I looked up a couple of shows that I really enjoyed attending back in the day. Clapton/Muddy Waters, New Haven 4/29/79. I was a junior in high school and my buddy was a Frosh at SCSU and some of us HSers drove down to New Haven and got the full college dorm party experience for the first time. Enlightening. It was Southern after all. Next, the Allman Bros. outdoors at the Music Inn in Lenox, Ma 8/26/79. It was an afternoon concert and it was really hot. I remember the ABB just tearing up. I only went to the Music Inn that one time but in researching I found that they had amazing shows there year after year in the '70s.

Reaction Score
I love this thread! I looked up a couple of shows that I really enjoyed attending back in the day. Clapton/Muddy Waters, New Haven 4/29/79. I was a junior in high school and my buddy was a Frosh at SCSU and some of us HSers drove down to New Haven and got the full college dorm party experience for the first time. Enlightening. It was Southern after all. Next, the Allman Bros. outdoors at the Music Inn in Lenox, Ma 8/26/79. It was an afternoon concert and it was really hot. I remember the ABB just tearing up. I only went to the Music Inn that one time but in researching I found that they had amazing shows there year after year in the '70s.

Saw Mott the Hoople and The Kinks at the Music Inn in '80 or '81 a little too foggy to be sure. But a great venue for sure.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I dunno. If my dad had made the four-year-old me sit through Ravi Shankar and friends noodle on sitars for an hour, then a long intermission before the "real" acts showed up, I think I would've considered it parental abuse.

Hell, I don't think I could've even taken a hour of Shankar when I was in my 20s.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Saw Mott the Hoople and The Kinks at the Music Inn in '80 or '81 a little too foggy to be sure. But a great venue for sure.

At least that bill makes some sense. When the Kinks played Jorgensen Auditorium in '76, the opening act was Jean-Luc Ponty. What a weird show.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I dunno. If my dad had made the four-year-old me sit through Ravi Shankar and friends noodle on sitars for an hour, then a long intermission before the "real" acts showed up, I think I would've considered it parental abuse.

Hell, I don't think I could've even taken a hour of Shankar when I was in my 20s.
((( vibes)))

The stuff is musical genius of the highest order, not just the sitar work but the tabla playing is at the top of the Rhytmic ladder as any drummer will tell you. However to each his own, not everything is for everyone. And especially difficult for a western ear to latch on to that stuff at first listen.

Reaction Score
First concert I attended was a young peoples concert by Waterbury Symphony. I felt that music through my body. I guess why I love live shows to this day. First 'rock' concert was Frank Zappa at the Garrick Theater in NYC, 1967, wow. Have not stopped since. From the Stones at Dillon Stadium to BoDeans at Infinity I just live music. And as you can guess a lot of the Dead.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least that bill makes some sense. When the Kinks played Jorgensen Auditorium in '76, the opening act was Jean-Luc Ponty. What a weird show.
Was that anymore of a mismatch than the Ramones-SOS Band spring concert circa 1983?

Reaction Score
Was that anymore of a mismatch than the Ramones-SOS Band spring concert circa 1983?
Or Johnny Winter and the Ramones at the Palace in Waterbury mid 70s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom