OT - Revisiting Old Albums | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT - Revisiting Old Albums

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
@8893

Zappa-Were only in it for the Money (Nasal Retentitive Caliope Music)

Phish -Reba (very prog) / 2001 they verge on electronica

I guess those are valid reasons for dismissing music. Gong uses synthesizers to set up their jams and lots of people love to dump on anything with synthesizer. Problem is their is this one band called Pink Floyd....I will admit the concept stuff from them is silly and dated as well.

Widespread doesn't do it for me either. The songs sound bland. Didn't they steal the guitarist from Umphrie's? That helps.

Have you heard any Dopapod? That's my new favorite band but might be too progressive for your tastes.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Neil Young-Live at Massey Hall
Bon Iver- Bon Iver
Elliott Smith- Elliott Smith (not typos--the last two are just self titled albums)
Father John Misty-Fear Fun
The Guru-Pretty Things (just throwing this in because they're a CT band)
Mac Demarco- 2
MGMT- Congratulations
Modest Mouse- The Lonesome, Crowded West
Nick Drake- Pink Moon
Ryan Adams- Heartbreaker
The Shins- Oh, Inverted World
Sufjan Stevens- Come on, Feel the Illinoise! and Greetings from Michigan: The Great Lakes State

I put a couple of my favorites in bold...most of this stuff is newer music with the exception of Neil Young, Nick Drake and Elliott Smith

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If it,s not your thing it's not for lack of talent by the band. And I really don't understand how someone who likes Phish wouldn,t be interested in a band like Gong. They play lots of long long spacy intsrumental jams with evolving time signigtures wrapped around quirky, vampy songs. Sounds a lot like Phish or their big influence Zappa.

Most challenging, thought provoking stuff requires some getting used to but is often the most rewarding over time.

Also, the last album of trilogy is called You. It's the best one of the bunch. Instead of sampling listen to that all the way through. Maybe a couple or few times just to get past the surprise factor.

YOU DO NOT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO LISTEN TO GONG!!!

Reaction Score
YOU DO NOT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO LISTEN TO GONG!!!

Gong fans aren't made, they're born!
Screen-Shot-2014-12-01-at-8.41.31-PM-800x0-c-default.jpg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Neil Young-Live at Massey Hall
Bon Iver- Bon Iver
Elliott Smith- Elliott Smith (not typos--the last two are just self titled albums)
Father John Misty-Fear Fun
The Guru-Pretty Things (just throwing this in because they're a CT band)
Mac Demarco- 2
MGMT- Congratulations
Modest Mouse- The Lonesome, Crowded West
Nick Drake- Pink Moon
Ryan Adams- Heartbreaker
The Shins- Oh, Inverted World
Sufjan Stevens- Come on, Feel the Illinoise! and Greetings from Michigan: The Great Lakes State

I put a couple of my favorites in bold...most of this stuff is newer music with the exception of Neil Young, Nick Drake and Elliott Smith

Loved that Nick Drake album. Still think it's funny the first I heard of him was on a goshdarn Volkswagen commercial. One of the best car commercials (or in general) I've ever seen though.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Mock away.

I was a DJ at WHUS in the late 80’s. I helped start the Pushing the Envelope show where we were trying to play some extreme music and push people's musical boundaries.Wasn't for everybody. Most people were listening to Wham! And Rick Astley at the time.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Second the earlier Shins recommendation.

I can't believe we went 6 pages without Mermaid Avenue. California Stars is a top-ten-oat song.

For reggae, don't sleep on Alpha Blondy and Lucky Dube

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So I gave Gong another try and it wasn't as bad as I thought; and now that I've been edumacated about their talent I can hear some essence of this seminal influence throughout.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
So I gave Gong another try and it wasn't as bad as I thought; and now that I've been edumacated about their talent I can hear some essence of this seminal influence throughout.

And now you hear his influence everywhere. Pop has won.

And if you want to hear a guitar solo, you have to go to a Phish concert.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ryan Adams- Heartbreaker

I like Ryan Adams a lot, and he was great when I saw him in concert. Seriously messed up in the head, but really good. I actually like his recent cover of Taylor Swift's 1984, and I don't like her at all.

Sufjan is definitely very unique. In particular, writing a good song about cancer is a pretty tall task, and I thought his "Casimir Pulaski Day" was brilliant; and then I heard Jason Isbell's "Elephant," which topped it in that regard. One of the most painfully beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Reaction Score
Some slightly lesser known great albums -

"Hollywood Dreams" - Thunderclap Newman
"Sailin Shoes" & "Dixie Chicken" - Little Feet
"Howlin Wind" - Graham Parker
"Brave New World" - Steve Miller Band
"The Natch'l Blues" - Taj Mahal
"Better Days" - Paul Butterfield
"Lola" - The Kinks
"Then Play On" and "Kiln House" - Fleetwood Mac (the original band)
"Live with the Edmonton Orchestra" - Procol Harum
"Cloud Control" - Sister Monk (modern group)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Mock away.

I was a DJ at WHUS in the late 80’s. I helped start the Pushing the Envelope show where we were trying to play some extreme music and push people's musical boundaries.Wasn't for everybody. Most people were listening to Wham! And Rick Astley at the time.

Oh settle down. We're just having some fun.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
and now that I've been edumacated about their talent I can hear some essence of this seminal influence throughout.

Very subtle 'roll. hat tip

Reaction Score
Mock away.

Gothic Blimp Works? Better than Alien Rock on WRTC?

Reaction Score
Some slightly lesser known great albums -

"Hollywood Dreams" - Thunderclap Newman
"Sailin Shoes" & "Dixie Chicken" - Little Feet
"Howlin Wind" - Graham Parker
"Brave New World" - Steve Miller Band
"The Natch'l Blues" - Taj Mahal
"Better Days" - Paul Butterfield
"Lola" - The Kinks
"Then Play On" and "Kiln House" - Fleetwood Mac (the original band)
"Live with the Edmonton Orchestra" - Procol Harum
"Cloud Control" - Sister Monk (modern group)
Also -

"Elephant Mountain" - The Youngbloods

Reaction Score
"Born to Run" Bruce Springsteen
"Darkness on the Edge Town" Bruce Springsteen
"The River" Bruce Springsteen

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I like Ryan Adams a lot, and he was great when I saw him in concert. Seriously messed up in the head, but really good. I actually like his recent cover of Taylor Swift's 1984, and I don't like her at all.

Sufjan is definitely very unique. In particular, writing a good song about cancer is a pretty tall task, and I thought his "Casimir Pulaski Day" was brilliant; and then I heard Jason Isbell's "Elephant," which topped it in that regard. One of the most painfully beautiful songs I've ever heard.

In regards to Ryan Adams, agreed. Definitely a troubled dude and I think his music kind of went south, but Heartbreaker was like a modern take on Neil Young for me.

Sufjan is the type who people either love or hate. Maybe more difficult than Casimir Pulaski Day was John Wayne Gacy Jr., a song where he profiles the mass murderer of the same name. Some people probably don't enjoy the religious connotations in Sufjan's music (especially Seven Swans--which I left off my list because most non-religious folks probably wouldn't enjoy it) but I think his ability to incorporate religion and artistry is unparalleled. Everyone knows that Christian music sucks--it's unbearable. Sufjan's music is hugely theological while still incredibly unique--and often theologically questioning rather than blindly following. Really interesting stuff. He's definitely my favorite artist--I'm headed to seminary and he's one of the only artists I can enjoy who discuss Christianity in any capacity...

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I've built up quite a classic rock vinyl collection for $0.50 to $4.00 a record by going here in Wethersfield.

Integrity 'n Music
http://www.integritynmusic.com/

It is no frills but Ed picks up some great used collections with many treasures waiting to be found there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I remember you said you liked Wilco but haven't listened to them a lot before; their album catalog is as good as you're going to find among any "contemporary" band, starting with their first one, A.M., straight through to their last, Star Wars. Literally not a bad album in between, and many that are stellar.
Nice NPR Tiny Desk Concert here:

Published on Feb 23, 2016
February 23, 2016 by BOB BOILEN

Thousands of bands have made strong debuts, and many of those have made good second and third records — it's harder, but not unusual. It's truly rare to make your 10th album exciting and relevant more than 20 years on. For all that, I'd say Wilco is an American legend.

Though Wilco is basically a conventional rock band in form — guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, one lead songwriter — it defies expectations in so many other ways. In 2001, the group put an entire new album (the instant classic Yankee Hotel Foxtrot) online for all to hear; it's one thing to do that in 2015, as Wilco did with Star Wars, but it was virtually unheard-of in 2001.

This is a deeply imaginative band, with evocative imagery and relatable storytelling; drummer Glenn Kotche is one of the best around, while Nels Cline's crazy, textured guitar layers add adventure to everything he touches. I could go on, but let's just say that breaking my rule of never bringing a band back to the Tiny Desk — Wilco performed here back in 2011 — was easy once I heard Star Wars.

Wilco opened this set with "The Joke Explained" from that album, but then dug deep into its catalog, performing 1996's "Misunderstood" and two songs from the 1999 pop masterpiece Summerteeth. I'm thinking we make a date: When Wilco turns 25 in a few years, let's break more rules and bring back their magic once more.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
UConn hoops AND rock music? That's what I'm talkin' about. Allmans- Live at the Fillmore East, The Band- Music from the Big Pink, '68, , Cream -Disreali Gears, Derek and the Dominos, Layla album, Bowie- Diamond Dogs, The Dead- American Beauty, Hendrix- Electric Ladyland, Little Feat- Waiting for Columbus, if you're an old CT. boy ya gotta have some of the Tucker boys- Searching for a Rainbow, and my favorite album of all time The Who- Quadrophenia. I'll stop now. Go Huskies!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom