OT - PrayForPat (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - PrayForPat (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Respect and prayers for Pat.

It took my Mom somewhere between 2 and 3 years to go from minor hallucinations to where she currently is, not recognizing us and being cared for in a small facility specializing in women with dementia. That said, her health has remained good, I realize that may not continue, but OTH Mom will be 97 years old in a couple of months, so one could expect an eventual health decline regardless. Currently, she is among their best eaters (she is by far the oldest) and probably gets around 3rd best out of the 6 women. While she needs help to do so, she can still walk with a walker. And all of that said, she still would certainly not wish to be in her condition, outliving her mind.

this is the difference between dementia and Alzheimer's ....with dementia the mind goes, but one dies of something else. My mom lived to be 95, but we really lost her to dementia long before that.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I just teared up when I read this news. Words are inadquate and others on this thread are far more eloquent than am I.

My prayers go out to Pat, her family and all of VolNation who love and esteem her so dearly. God's love, comfort, support and peace be with all.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This is very sad to news to hear about. A hideous disease that Pat didn't deserve to be afflicted with.

She is a big part of UConn's exciting rise to power in Women's Basketball. Gotta give her big props for her competitiveness and strength. She will be taken from her family way too soon.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
this is the difference between dementia and Alzheimer's ....with dementia the mind goes, but one dies of something else. My mom lived to be 95, but we really lost her to dementia long before that.
Mom's neurologist chose not to do whatever you do to determine Alzheimer's vs. non-Alzheimer's, primarily due to her advanced age - he asked us if it mattered to us, and we said no. He tried some medication that (at the time) made her worse, so he recommended stopping the meds (she improved for a time) and acknowledged that there really wasn't anything meaningful he could do for her. Her caregivers believe from her symptoms that it is probably Alzheimer's, but the doctor from the care center likewise does not believe it truly matters.

Reaction Score
seems that Twitter is buzzing that Coach Summitt is in critical condition at the hospital. no clue as to how true this is
As part of the tribute to the person Pat Summit I have applauded what she has done for WBB throughout the ages. She put the Game on the map--Uconn put it on TV. Tough competitor, generous in "I'll play anyone anytime anywhere".
The onset of her disease like most who suffer (maybe more properly whose family suffers) can be traced back many years before the symptoms as seen. Family at times will look back and remember the wrong word, recalling events incorrectly that they could recite chapter and verse previously--but it is always when we look back--family and caretakers God has a special place for them--
Commonly--you hear--Mom it's me Genny--Genny, look, I'm Genny--they took my shoes--and they run off to the store for a loaf of bread with only their panties in their purse--the sad part is not being recognized by your own mother. And the police bringing them home again after they tried to go home for the 3rd time. Usually this is when you opt for the very very expensive "warehousing" facility. If there is an estate it is eaten up quickly paying for medical care facilities.

Reaction Score
I miss her being on the sidelines.
You have my sympathy. Obviously Tn would still be among the top of the heap had she not fallen ill.
The number of players offering help and traveling to Knoxville attest to the love and caring Pat brought out in those that played or manage or assisted with the Vol WBB teams. Obviously she is loved by Tn fans and players alike. I hope she lives--regardless of what some may say--life is always better than death--after death only deterioration in life recovery is a possibility. (please don't argue this point been there done that)

Reaction Score
The disease runs in my family too. My grandmother mom and dad died of it. I hope Im not next.
Tonyc--you live in an age your ancestors couldn't dream of medically--it is NOT a given you will get it.
But testing and treatment are available now, if like all diseases it is treated early enough the outcome can be exceptional. I know families who had no relative that I knew of that had the disease and they got it--others who had parents and sibling with it who in their 90+ show no signs of it. Until we know otherwise, it's a crap shoot. Why worry about what may never be?? But test for it.

Reaction Score
Terrible that she was stricken so young. But, to me, it is a bit of a mercy that she deteriorated physically after the mental effects and will soon be released. From what I seen of her, she would not want to continue on in that state.
My dad apparently has vascular dementia more than Alzheimer's. He just passed his 88th birthday though his mind has meant he could not recognize anyone, talk coherently, or do any functions of daily life for the past 5 years of this (so far) 11 year ordeal. And his body continues on. Fortunately, he is being well cared for. But I would release him if I could.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear it. I wish the best for her and her family.
View attachment 14197
this is the remarkable article in that issue:
Eyes Of The Storm When Tennessee's whirlwind of a coach, Pat Summitt, hits you with her steely gaze, you get a dose of the intensity that has carried the Lady Vols to five NCAA titles

Pat took intensity and perfectionism to a stratospheric level while maintaining her humanity. Reading it (it is very long), one gets an excellent sense of what Geno was up against--the monumental wall he had to climb.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
this is the remarkable article in that issue:
Eyes Of The Storm When Tennessee's whirlwind of a coach, Pat Summitt, hits you with her steely gaze, you get a dose of the intensity that has carried the Lady Vols to five NCAA titles

Pat took intensity and perfectionism to a stratospheric level while maintaining her humanity. Reading it (it is very long), one gets an excellent sense of what Geno was up against--the monumental wall he had to climb.

Very interesting article. I never knew that Marciniak started out at Notre Dame. Not exactly flattering of the state of Muffet's program in its formative years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Josh Ward@Josh_Ward 6 mins ago
Pat Summitt's family is no longer accepting visitors, her pastor, Chris Stephens, told @Hallerin. Stephens said the end is "very imminent."
Very surreal. I never thought the end would come so quickly. I'm speechless and saddened. Prayers, blessings and heartfelt love sent out to her family, friends, admirers, and the entire LV nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom