OT - PrayForPat (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - PrayForPat (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
th

Reaction Score
Very sad. Hate to see anyone go through this. I didn't always like Pat but you had to respect her. And without Pat, Geno wouldn't be Geno. They needed each other. Together they created a rivalry that lifted women's basketball to great heights in an amazingly short period of time. And, while volnation would never admit it, without Geno, Pat's ability to lift the game would have been limited. It was a shame a rift formed but that is ancient history now. Clearly our fans are saddened by this and I bet Geno is as well. I wonder if volnation would feel the same way if the situation were reversed. I suppose it doesn't matter. Ask not for whom the bell tolls.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Come on Pat! Keep fighting the good fight! WWPHSD? Inspire everyone and make dimentia her you-know-what! I believe in you!!! Stare dimentia down with those cold, blue eyes of yours, and you might just emerge victorious. And Victory Number 1,099 would be exponentially more inspiring than those eight wins in 1987, 1989,1991, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2007, and 2008.

Indeed, I back Pat.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The disease runs in my family too. My grandmother mom and dad died of it. I hope Im not next.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Very sad. Hate to see anyone go through this. I didn't always like Pat but you had to respect her. And without Pat, Geno wouldn't be Geno. They needed each other. Together they created a rivalry that lifted women's basketball to great heights in an amazingly short period of time. And, while volnation would never admit it, without Geno, Pat's ability to lift the game would have been limited. It was a shame a rift formed but that is ancient history now. Clearly our fans are saddened by this and I bet Geno is as well. I wonder if volnation would feel the same way if the situation were reversed. I suppose it doesn't matter. Ask not for whom the bell tolls.

It indeed does not matter one bit. This is a time to set aside anything that would detract from graciousness, respect, and humanity.

I am one of the last people to be caught quoting holy texts, but I feel moved to recall this:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As a Lady Vol fan I can not express my gratitude enough to Huskies Nation for their support of Pat in these troubling times. From all of Lady Vol Nation, THANK YOU!

One does not have to have ever been a Tennessee fan to have respect and admiration for Pat Summitt and her accomplishments. She and her program were truly the standard that all other coaches, players, and programs had to aspire. Very few people have ever commanded the kind of respect and admiration, and have transcended the confines of their particular sport, in the way that Pat did. Her legend and her legacy will not be lost or forgotten.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Respect and prayers for Pat.

It took my Mom somewhere between 2 and 3 years to go from minor hallucinations to where she currently is, not recognizing us and being cared for in a small facility specializing in women with dementia. That said, her health has remained good, I realize that may not continue, but OTH Mom will be 97 years old in a couple of months, so one could expect an eventual health decline regardless. Currently, she is among their best eaters (she is by far the oldest) and probably gets around 3rd best out of the 6 women. While she needs help to do so, she can still walk with a walker. And all of that said, she still would certainly not wish to be in her condition, outliving her mind.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As a Lady Vol fan I can not express my gratitude enough to Huskies Nation for their support of Pat in these troubling times. From all of Lady Vol Nation, THANK YOU!
Basketball, and basketball rivalries, aren't real life - people are. Pat Summitt, the human being, is far more important than any basketball game.

Pat Summitt deserves respect for inspiring generations of young women to reach their greatest potential. She's done great things for a great many people. I wish her all the best and know that all Boneyarders do as well.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Having experienced my mother's enduring and suffering through Alzheimer's for the last seven years of her life, please know, if you have no experience with it, that it is a cruel, cruel ordeal. I am convinced that my mother would have been much better served had she not lived quite as long as she did. As morbid as that may sound to some, it comes only from love and respect.

Anyone who is an ardent fan of women's basketball, regardless of loyalties and the foibles of competition, must respect and admire the manifold achievements of Pat Summitt. I certainly do. My hopes and prayers for Pat, her family, and the entire UT community, is that peace, joy, and tranquility accompany her for the remainder of her journey. Godspeed, Pat Summitt.

As someone whose mother is going through this now, well said brother. Well said. May Pat's suffering be eased and may the loving embrace of family, friends and well wishers aid in its surcease.

Brodog16

Alzheimer's sucks
Reaction Score
I tried to post a note to the TU website. Not successful. Married to my best friend for 36 years. Some days we don!t know each other. Sucks but I would not change a minute... Mau..l Would Drink/golf with you !!

Brodog16

Alzheimer's sucks
Reaction Score
I tried to post a note to the TU website. Not successful. Married to my best friend for 36 years. Some days we don!t know each other. Sucks but I would not change a minute... Mau..l Would Drink/golf with you !!
Sorry... Don't mean to be a "downer". My bride used to be the clinical manager of the cancer center at a middle ct hospital. She had to step down due to Alzheimer's in 2014 at 54 yo. Let's recognize, it is a problem that we all should be concerned about .

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sorry... Don't mean to be a "downer". My bride used to be the clinical manager of the cancer center at a middle ct hospital. She had to step down due to Alzheimer's in 2014 at 54 yo. Let's recognize, it is a problem that we all should be concerned about .
Absolutely, I feel for you. The youngest woman where my Mom is being cared for started with the kind of Alzheimer's that affects you physically, then mentally. Only in her early 60's, twisted up in a wheel chair, and her mind has been affected as well. Very sad to see her husband visiting her. I consider myself blessed that I had my Mom for over 92 years where she was mentally fine.

Recently learned that my wife's cousin / god-father and my financial adviser's father (was in that position before his son) have both begun to struggle with memory issues in their mid-70's. So sad.

Reaction Score
upload_2016-6-27_6-6-3.png

By DOUG FEINBERG, AP Basketball Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — The update on Pat Summitt's health caught Geno Auriemma by surprise. It's simply the news nobody wanted to hear, especially her former rival who built UConn trying to model off her success coaching Tennessee.

Summitt's family said Sunday that the last few days have been difficult for the former Tennessee women's basketball coach as her Alzheimer's disease progresses. Auriemma, who had been traveling all day back from Europe, heard the update at the Phoenix Mercury-New York Liberty game.

"It's sad to see her family go through this," Auriemma told The Associated Press. "It's really difficult."

Auriemma credited Summitt for raising the bar for himself and countless other coaches.

"She was the one that everyone tried to emulate. That was the program everyone tried to be," he said.

He remembered when they first played in 1995 when Summitt agreed to come up and play the Huskies on national television.

"I don't think anyone was surprised she wanted to play in that game," Auriemma said. "That's what she did. We try to do that. Play everybody anytime, anywhere. That's how she built her program to where it is."

Amid reports of Summitt's failing health over the weekend, her family issued a statement asking for prayers and saying that the 64-year-old Summitt is surrounded by the people who mean the most to her. It also asked for privacy.

The statement was posted on the Pat Summitt Foundation's website and was issued by Erin Freeman, a spokeswoman for the Summitt family.

"She's meant so much to the game and the sport. I've always had wonderful interactions with her when I was a broadcaster," Rebecca Lobo said. "I was completely unaware until I saw the stuff this morning. It made me really sad."

For all the talk of the rivalry that UConn and Tennessee had from that first game in 1995 to the last in 2007, the Huskies all respected Summitt.

MORE...

Reaction Score
My Mom may not have known me but she still had her rosary beads close by her and that in turn gave me comfort. I will keep Coach Summitt and family in prayer as I say my rosary.

Reaction Score
Glad to see the responses from Geno, Rebecca, Diana, Swin. Swin's seemed particularly heartfelt.

Treatments for Alzheimer's are getting better and more individualized. I don't know that it will be in time to help Pat, but in a few years. . .

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Don't check in much anymore, but my situation appears to be strikingly similar to yours, perhaps we should commiserate? My spouse was a visiting nurse until she had to stop in 2010 due to Alzheimer's (though five doctors and seven tests denied that at the time, stating she was too young). Our spouses appear to be the same age, mine is now 56. I have had experience with a variety of Alzheimer's patients (spouse, mother, father-in-law, brother); based on those experiences I suspect there are but a few months remaining at this point for mine. It does look like I'll be able to keep her here at home until she passes. If you are interested Google Humanity Hiker, or click:

Humanity Hiker

Reaction Score
In Grey's "Elegy," the poet writes that "the paths of glory lead but to the grave." Those like Pat Summitt who excelled at their craft and brought important change to whatever world they inhabited, will someday, inevitably, move on to another place. Pat's legacy is clear to all fair-minded fans of WCBB. But beyond the quantifiable, there are important, perhaps more important, legacies: the impact one has on others. In "Tintern Abbey," Wordsworth writes of "That best portion of a good man’s life, his little, nameless, unremembered, acts of kindness and of love." I have seen first hand Pat's "little, nameless . . .acts of kindness and of love." Those acts are rewarded now as those who played for and against her teams and those who cheered for and against her teams come together to express their gratitude that she was in our world. Graceful presence, easy exit, Pat.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I am deeply touched by the heartfelt responses to Pat's struggle. Having also lost a family member to alzheimer's/dementia, I stand with you and say "Amen."

Peace be with all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69