OT- Peyton | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT- Peyton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He threw long multiple times. Maybe 10 over 20 yards.
Darts, on target. A few of them dropped by his favorite binkies.

I know people think Brady gets all the calls, but again it's just a hater's myth. He and Manning get fewer calls than anyone else in the league except for Roethlisberger:

And here's another silly thing: the Brady rule. There is no such rule. The rule against hitting QBs below the knees was instituted in 2006 when Carson Palmer was taken out early in a playoff game.

The only Brady rule I know of is the tuck rule. I have never once heard anyone refer to hitting a qb below the knees as the "Brady rule".

I think most know that rule came about after Carson injury

Reaction Score
this is just a rough estimate but I counted 14 passes that went over 15 yards. so about 23%. he was outstanding on sunday with the deeper passes, and as @upstater mentioned, there were a few drops as well as a couple where he led the WR too far etc.
It is the 15 yd out passes that he doesn't through very well.

Reaction Score
The only Brady rule I know of is the tuck rule. I have never once heard anyone refer to hitting a qb below the knees as the "Brady rule".

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q="Brady+Rule"+football

The use of the Brady rule is rampant.

As for the tuck rule, it doesn't exist anymore. But, it was not a totally unheard of rule. Refs used to call the tuck rule multiple times every year. The Patriots actually lost a game to the Jets because of the tuck rule in 2001 (Vinny Testaverde's fumble appeared to seal it for the Patriots, but the tuck rule was invoked, and the Jets went on to win. Without the tuck rule, the Patriots don't even play the Raiders in the playoffs that year).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Actually, the vast majority of fans on the internet (incorrectly) call it the Brady rule.

And the tuck rule came into play earlier in that same season in favor of the Jets against the Patriots.

Reaction Score

I know people think Brady gets all the calls, but again it's just a hater's myth. He and Manning get fewer calls than anyone else in the league except for Roethlisberger:

And here's another silly thing: the Brady rule. There is no such rule. The rule against hitting QBs below the knees was instituted in 2006 when Carson Palmer was taken out early in a playoff game.
Brady, Manning and Roethliaberger get the least amount of calls in the league? Where do you come up with this nonsense?

Reaction Score
Brady, Manning and Roethliaberger get the least amount of calls in the league? Where do you come up with this nonsense?

From Mike Pereira and NFL: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/32380887/2

The original article on Fox was titled: "Sorry Michael Vick NFL referees do not play favorites."

Article is no longer available but if you google the title, you'll find hundreds of links with people posting stats from the article.

As usual, FACTS for you are simply labeled NONSENSE.

Pereira continues: "What about Tom Brady and Peyton Manning? Let me look down the list, although it might take me a while since they both are way down there. Brady does get more protection than Manning, that’s for sure. Brady has drawn 0.16 roughing the passer calls per 100 attempts compared to 0.15 for Manning. That, for Brady, is one call in every 625 pass attempts, while for Manning it is one call for every 679 attempts."

Reaction Score
From Mike Pereira and NFL: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/32380887/2

The original article on Fox was titled: "Sorry Michael Vick NFL referees do not play favorites."

Article is no longer available but if you google the title, you'll find hundreds of links with people posting stats from the article.

As usual, FACTS for you are simply labeled NONSENSE.
That's one of the dumbest sports articles I've read in a long time and it doesn't surprise me that you would buy into it and think it proves some sort of fact.

Reaction Score
That's one of the dumbest sports articles I've read in a long time and it doesn't surprise me that you would buy into it and think it proves some sort of fact.

So, a low # of roughing the passer calls is NOT a fact, but a claim from you that Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger get a lot of roughing calls is a FACT.

OK Costanza.

Reaction Score
So much depends on the players around a QB and Peyton didn't have the best teams around him. He can no longer throw the out pass with anything on it. It is probably time for him to retire.

3 Superbowls and a ton of playoff appearances and you're saying he didnt have the best teams around him?? The offenses on those Colts teams with Harrison, Wayne, James etc were outstanding, ditto for the offenses in Denver. Gimme a break.

Reaction Score
3 Superbowls and a ton of playoff appearances and you're saying he didnt have the best teams around him?? The offenses on those Colts teams with Harrison, Wayne, James etc were outstanding, ditto for the offenses in Denver. Gimme a break.

Most of those players suffered in performance when they weren't playing with Manning. Look how badly the Colts did when Manning was out. He did not have great teams around him, especially on defense, and he never had a decent HC in his entire time in Indianapolis.

Reaction Score
Most of those players suffered in performance when they weren't playing with Manning. Look how badly the Colts did when Manning was out. He did not have great teams around him, especially on defense, and he never had a decent HC in his entire time in Indianapolis.

Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon actually did really well outside of Manning's years. Not sure who suffered exactly.

People keep talking about how badly the Colts did that year without Manning, but of course they tanked the season to grab Luck. Curtis Painter was the QB, the worst NFL QB I have ever seen. What happened when Painter was replaced by a UConn QB (the Colts won their remaining games--but of course they had already cinched the #1 pick by then). And what happened a year after? Rookie QB Luck lead them to 11 wins and the playoffs?

Surely, that team was all about Manning. He was fantastic. But there's no way a team goes from worst in the league to 11 wins and the playoffs if they weren't tanking it the previous season.

Reaction Score
Yes, they suffered in performance. I think that's pretty obvious given that had a combo of Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter at QB, the age of their playmakers, and no Marvin Harrison. Manning's time there was done and they were playing for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes that year. I'll concede that the defenses werent great (although they still had guys like Freeney, Mathis, and Bethea). Never had a decent HC... uhmm Tony Dungy?? He's a Hall of Fame finalist.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

The 'Colts didn't have a great team' myth is so over played. They had a number of top 10 defenses from 2002 - 2009, in Manning's prime.

Not only did he have weapons like HOF Marvin Harrison, probable HOF Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Dallas Clark, Austin collie, but he had running backs like edgerrin James and Joseph Addai.

One of the reason they didn't win as many titles as people thought they should is that Peyton wasn't a phenomenal playoff QB. And he's def not a good inclement/cold weather QB. Played in a dome the major of his career.

After he left, they went all 'suck for Luck', starting Curtis Painter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of the reason they didn't win as many titles as people thought they should is that Peyton wasn't a phenomenal playoff QB. And he's def not a good inclement/cold weather QB. Played in a dome the major of his career.

The 'Colts didn't have a great team' myth is so over played. They had a number of top 10 defenses from 2002 - 2009, in Manning's prime.

Not only did he have weapons like HOF Marvin Harrison, probable HOF Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Dallas Clark, Austin collie, but he had running backs like edgerrin James and Joseph Addai.

After he left, they went all 'suck for Luck', starting Curtis Painter.

I don't mean to nitpick you, but the year the Colts went 2-14 thats the year Peyton got hurt so he was still on the team, the Colts were definitely tanking for Luck once they realized they were headed toward 0-16 thats when they decided to start Dan O. There is no doubt they would have gone 0-16 if they stuck with Painter.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't mean to nitpick you, but the year the Colts went 2-14 thats the year Peyton got hurt so he was still on the team, the Colts were definitely tanking for Luck once they realized they were headed toward 0-16 thats when they decided to start Dan O. There is no doubt they would have gone 0-16 if they stuck with Painter.

Hahaha. No problem.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yes, they suffered in performance. I think that's pretty obvious given that had a combo of Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter at QB, the age of their playmakers, and no Marvin Harrison. Manning's time there was done and they were playing for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes that year. I'll concede that the defenses werent great (although they still had guys like Freeney, Mathis, and Bethea). Never had a decent HC... uhmm Tony Dungy?? He's a Hall of Fame finalist.

Just an FYI. They had a number of top 10 defenses over the years in AvgPPg during the 2002-2009 years. No excuse there.

Reaction Score

Love the "haters" stuff. Really? Can't people just respect how good someone is with our rooting for them? I mean is that hate? Hilarious and very homey.

Reaction Score
Love the "haters" stuff. Really? Can't people just respect how good someone is with our rooting for them? I mean is that hate? Hilarious and very homey.

I guess I've seen and heard too many comments about what a wimp he is. "Brady is a lady." That kinda stuff.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Just for fun:

Michael Bennett said Sam Bradford “was about to cry” [about Terrell Suggs] and wondering why quarterbacks are treated differently.

“I respect Tom Brady because when Tom Brady gets hit, he gets up and says, ‘Good job, good hit. He gets back in the huddle and handles his own, like a man. You have guys crying when they get hit like, ‘Oh, Suggs, Suggs hit me.'”

Reaction Score
Just for fun:

Michael Bennett said Sam Bradford “was about to cry” [about Terrell Suggs] and wondering why quarterbacks are treated differently.

“I respect Tom Brady because when Tom Brady gets hit, he gets up and says, ‘Good job, good hit. He gets back in the huddle and handles his own, like a man. You have guys crying when they get hit like, ‘Oh, Suggs, Suggs hit me.'”
Stirring-a-pot.jpg

Reaction Score
Just an FYI. They had a number of top 10 defenses over the years in AvgPPg during the 2002-2009 years. No excuse there.

Going by points allowed, the Colts defense was in the top 10 five times from 1999 to 2010, including being #1 in 2007.

Also, when you look at Manning's playoff losses, there aren't a lot of shootouts. The way the "poor defense" excuse is used, you'd expect to see a bunch of 45-38 scores where Manning and the offense showed up, but the defense couldn't make any stops. In reality, in his playoff losses, Manning's teams have only scored more than 20 points twice.

He's an all time great QB, a 1st ballot HOFer, and there will probably be awards named after him in the future. Also, every successful QB has a couple of playoff clunkers on their resume. It could be due to running into a hot team, turnovers, late season or in-game injuries to key players or simple bad luck, but it happens to everyone. In Manning's case, it's happened too often over too long of a period for it to be considered a fluke.

Reaction Score
I guess I've seen and heard too many comments about what a wimp he is. "Brady is a lady." That kinda stuff.

Lady Eli is all I ever hear. Who cares? Can only defend them so much the good news is they dislike them because they win more than theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom