OT- Peyton | The Boneyard

OT- Peyton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Peyton Manning has had an amazing career, so amazing that many people say he's the best QB ever. I've always liked Peyton but he really shouldn't be in the conversation as the best. He is the best regular season guy but whenever the playoffs come around he turns into a shell of himself. I've been saying it for years that the pressure gets to him, a guy who during the season reads defenses as well as anyone and always goes through his progressions turns into a spaz. On almost every play he just takes 2 steps back and gets rid of it on the first guy he locks in on. No sugarcoating it, he was terrible today. He might come back but this does sort of feel like the end, he knows he can't win it all again.

Reaction Score
Peyton was so bad today that I honestly thought in the third quarter that they needed to go to Osweiler. He was either hurt or washed up, probably a little bit of both, but it was obvious from the second quarter on that he could not throw the ball more than ten yards past the line of scrimmage. The two minute drill he tried to run down the stretch was a disgrace, it almost looked like he was trying to protect his stat line instead of throwing down the field. Say what you will about Brady but at least he always goes down swinging in big games, you can't always say that about Peyton.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
He's got nothing left in the tank. No zip on the ball at all. He was terrible against a mediocre defense that wasnt doing anything special to beat him. Not sure if Elway would want him back even if Manning wants to play. It will be interesting to see how it goes in the offseason.

Reaction Score
Peyton was so bad today that I honestly thought in the third quarter that they needed to go to Osweiler. He was either hurt or washed up, probably a little bit of both, but it was obvious from the second quarter on that he could not throw the ball more than ten yards past the line of scrimmage. The two minute drill he tried to run down the stretch was a disgrace, it almost looked like he was trying to protect his stat line instead of throwing down the field. Say what you will about Brady but at least he always goes down swinging in big games, you can't always say that about Peyton.
No he's just done, when he tried to throw it down field he threw it to the other team. He has no zip on the ball, he hears footsteps and gets happy feet, it's just time to hang it up. Welker also needs to hang it up, he's terrified of getting hit.

Reaction Score
Go to Osweiler? That's just ridiculous. Peyton hasn't played well in the last couple months and he probably should retire. But you don't pull him for the baackup in a playoff game. The guy has had one hell of a career. Unfortunately it looks like Father Time is catching up,to him.

Reaction Score
Go to Osweiler? That's just ridiculous. Peyton hasn't played well in the last couple months and he probably should retire. But you don't pull him for the baackup in a playoff game. The guy has had one hell of a career. Unfortunately it looks like Father Time is catching up,to him.

Dude, he threw the ball four yards shy of the stick on fourth down. He wasn't just having a bad game, there was something physically wrong with him (whether that was an injury or just age, I don't know, but he was not capable of doing his job today).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In his prime, Manning's as good as it gets. And he's probably one of the best offensive coordinators in the game to boot.

But...there doesn't look like there's much in the tank anymore. He was like Chandler Whitmer out there.

Reaction Score
9 playoff one and dones and 11-13 overall in the playoffs, that's really bad and even worse when you think about all the times his teams were the favorites. I actually think he was relieved he didn't have to endure another beating at the hands of Brady and the Pats even if by some miracle they beat the Pats at Foxborough it would be another 50 point blowout to Seattle in the Super Bowl.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He's got nothing left in the tank. No zip on the ball at all. He was terrible against a mediocre defense that wasnt doing anything special to beat him. Not sure if Elway would want him back even if Manning wants to play. It will be interesting to see how it goes in the offseason.
Unless he is physically unable - Payton comes back if he wants to - Elway or no Elway
He is not the old Peyton but the Broncos have to let the decision be his
They can lay the cards on the table but it if he who decides.

Reaction Score
9 playoff one and dones and 11-13 overall in the playoffs, that's really bad and even worse when you think about all the times his teams were the favorites. I actually think he was relieved he didn't have to endure another beating at the hands of Brady and the Pats even if by some miracle they beat the Pats at Foxborough it would be another 50 point blowout to Seattle in the Super Bowl.

And the 11-13 includes the Super Bowl run where he beat the Rex Grossman led Bears. Take out that year and it's worse.

Reaction Score

Do you think Brady is going to fair hat much better against Seattle? I dont give the Colts or the Packers a chance next week,, so it looks like this is how its going to shape up. I am very interested to see how it goes. An aging immobile pocket QB with an ok running game isn't exactly the recipe for beating Seattle.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
He's had a lot of injuries late in the year and at his age he just simply doesn't recover from them as quickly.

It's clear that he wasn't right physically the last few weeks of the year when the Broncos were leaning on the run game heavily and hoping that he could be healthy by the playoffs, but that simply wasn't the case.

He's one of the best ever. hope he can come back for another year.

Reaction Score
Well. You know a guy is done when you root against him, and then, it's some game late in his career, and you stop rooting against him and you just feel sorry for him. Today, I just felt sorry for the guy. It was a guy who has been wildly successful and who had the ability to get that which he wanted most - SBs - who didn't get it done.

A great quarterback. A competitor and a winner. Arguably the greatest ever regular season quarterback. I won't argue about where he falls in the "best ever" category other than to say, for anybody picking him top 5, you wouldn't pick him top 5 if you considered "gives team best chance to win it all" as an important factor.

It will be absolutely fascinating to see if he returns. I'd bet big money on he will, because there's a record he wants that he'll need one more year to get. There are several teams for whom Peyton in his 18th year would be an upgrade.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Do you think Brady is going to fair hat much better against Seattle? I dont give the Colts or the Packers a chance next week,, so it looks like this is how its going to shape up. I am very interested to see how it goes. An aging immobile pocket QB with an ok running game isn't exactly the recipe for beating Seattle.

It's not like Seattle's offense has been amazing this year, I don't see them running it up on anyone this season unless the defense goes bananas with return tds I do agree it's shapin up to be Pats and Seahawks however I don think either game will be easy.

Reaction Score
Given the cap implications of resigning one or both of the Thomas' Denver's team stands to look a whole lot different. I also read that Ware has a huge cap hit but even larger dead money hit if cut. There will be some big shake ups on that Denver roster this spring.

Reaction Score
I'm sure everyone in Foxboro are huge Packers fans next week.

If Seattle is still standing hard to see any of the other teams beating them.

Reaction Score
I do think they will fair better because Belichick is a football genius and will have them prepared with a great game plan but I've always felt like everyone is competing for second place, Seattle is repeating.

Reaction Score
They will have to carry Peyton off the field feet first, these guys just can't walk away. Luck has the better chance next week, should be good.

Reaction Score
As a bronco fan since their first s.Super Bowl against the Cowboys in the mid 70's (Orange Crush baby - Alzado, Carter, Chaviois, TJ and Gradishar) - I was a contraian everyone in my elementary school wanted the Cowboys so I adopted the donkeys Also a University of Tennessee football fan (that's a longer story) I have a sense of Bronco and UT history and futility and I said when Peyton signed that it's was a bit of fools gold. In the big spot he's doesn't appear to be the same guy. Remember UT won the national title the year after Peyton left with Tee Martin at QB, who was a good qb but not in the same league as Peyton. I saw Elway do amazing things with a serviceable cast to just get to three Super Bowl and get crushed in those games (finally winning two) but there was something about Elway maybe it was the way he did it I always had a sliver of hope. Of course when the games were out of reach that hope evaporated as it would with any sane person. I never had that with Peyton as QB and I don't know why. I knew last year against Sesttle it was going to be a cluster. This experiment for these last few turned out about how I expected. Elway had to do it though, it was the smart play on his part. It's probably time for Peyton to ease into the background.....with probably the same retirement sentiment that Elway had "I just can't do it physically any more"

Reaction Score
Peyton most definitely deserves to be in the discussion of the best all time but he does look like it's time. He tired in a big way down the stretch and the Bronco's became very beatable because of him. Great career time to take some time off or do some comedy, he's a talented guy in so many ways.

Reaction Score
Unless he is physically unable - Payton comes back if he wants to - Elway or no Elway
He is not the old Peyton but the Broncos have to let the decision be his
They can lay the cards on the table but it if he who decides.

Joe Montana didn't get to decide. Then again, Osweiler is no Steve Young.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
that may have been his last game, he has been awful since week 14

if he doesn't have some undisclosed injury, he should retire

Reaction Score
Die hard Broncos fan since I was a little kid. Hurts me to say because I've loved watching him these past 3 seasons, but I don't want Peyton back next year. Today's game was pathetic and I just think he's gotten too old to play at an elite level for an entire 19 game campaign. I'm almost relieved we didn't squeak out a win because the Patriots would have embarrassed this team next week.

It was incredibly frustrating to see him overthrow every receiver in the first half when they threw deep, but then they didn't throw deep a single time in the second half, even as time dwindled down. I think Peyton must have said something at halftime to the coaching staff to the effect of "I can't throw it deep today". Maybe he has an injury.

Either way, I hope he retires and we tank next season to get a quarterback. Who knows, maybe Osweiler can play. I haven't seen enough of him to know, but he's at least got a football body. Dude is a monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom