OT: Pats-Colts | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Pats-Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bad grammar. I meant they were under-inflated by 2 PSI than what they initially were or what they should have been when they were checked by officials 2 1/2 hours before kick-off :
"League sources have confirmed that the footballs were properly inspected and approved by referee Walt Anderson 2 hours and 15 minutes before kickoff, before they were returned to each team."
(http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/i...-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game)

And YES, it was 2 PSI since you're so big on what Mort is reporting:
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport
NFL has found that 11 of the Patriots footballs used in Sunday’s AFC title game were under-inflated by 2 lbs each, per league sources.
(https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/557748673208401921)

So, they gave properly-inflated footballs to the refs for inspection. Then 11 of 12 were deflated by more than 2 PSI for use by game-time. That's not accident. They did it to gain a competitive advantage.

I'll say this again, and Pats fans can try to justify it all they want with false claims, but this is the simple truth: They attempted to gain an unfair competitive advantage over their opponent. That's cheating. End of story.

Mort said in the video that the balls were found to be at 11 PSI.

Do the math.

And again, the refs were using the balls the entire first half.

Reaction Score
This is like that scene from The Sting where Paul Newman wins at the card game and the bad guy gets enraged after the game, and says, "well what was I supposed to do? Accuse him of being a better cheater than me?"

You do realize the following, right:
Every team in the league has players that use illegal substances.
Every team in the league turns a blind eye to that.
The players and team are, therefore, "attempting to gain an unfair competitive advantage."
and, by your definition,
All teams are therefore cheating, end of story.

Is your issue with the Patriots the fact that they appear to be the best cheaters?

It doesn't make what the Patriots did this last weekend right. It was cheating. Just say so. The Patriots cheated this weekend against the Colts.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Do you leave any room whatsoever in your position to account for the fact that you hate them with a passion? Surely you see that your hatred of all things Patriots probably affects your opinion of Patriot fans?

Not true.

I grew up watching football in the 90's. I'm from CT. I became a fan of the Dolphins because of Dan Marino and I liked their colors and because their logo was a Dolphin wearing a football helmet (does it get any cooler than that?).

Marino was really good at the time and the Patriots were not. So I picked Miami as my team. Everyone at some point or another considers themselves a fan of a team because they are drawn to a player that they admire or because of family tradition for the most part.

In the late 90's, and early 2000's New England got Belichick and Brady and got good, really good. So naturally, Patriot fans start popping up everywhere. And they've had sustained success ever since because of good ownership, coaching, and QB play (that's what makes a good NFL team in a nut-shell).

I don't hate the Patriots. I respect their organization a ton. Kraft is as classy as they come. Tom Brady is an obvious hall-of-fame QB and arguably best QB of all time.

What I do hate is their more recently-acquired fan-base and how arrogant they are. I hate their countless attempts to justify or ignore the cheating that their team did. I know a few older lifetime Patriot fans who loved the team when they were garbage and will agree that there's no place for their cheating. But many of the younger fans who've experienced the Patriot's sustained success feel entitled to winning and have a holier-than-thou attitude about football and their team. It's a simple fact.

Last edited:

UChusky916

Reaction Score
This is like that scene from The Sting where Paul Newman wins at the card game and the bad guy gets enraged after the game, and says, "well what was I supposed to do? Accuse him of being a better cheater than me?"

You do realize the following, right:
Every team in the league has players that use illegal substances.
Every team in the league turns a blind eye to that.
The players and team are, therefore, "attempting to gain an unfair competitive advantage."
and, by your definition,
All teams are therefore cheating, end of story.

Is your issue with the Patriots the fact that they appear to be the best cheaters?

Again... see my post about the arrogance of Pats fanbase. You embody it.

EVERYONE does not cheat.

No other team lost draft picks because of video-taping opponents. No other team is being investigated and potentially losing draft picks AGAIN because of intentionally deflating footballs. Yes, teams attempt things to gain a competitive advantage. Everyone teeters that line. The Patriots cross it. Pats do it continually and excessively and are suffering the consequences. You think that's a coincidence that ONLY the Patriots get punished?

Cheating is not okay. And you're proving my point about Patriots fans. It's ingrained in you that the Patriots can do no wrong instead of accepting the team's mistakes and moving on.

Reaction Score
Tom Brady is an obvious hall-of-fame QB.
Less than two weeks from today Brady is going to go for "GOAT" status.
How much does that burn?

I'm not a Patriots fan so much as I love watching history being made. I loved watching McEnroe and Conners as a kid. Miracle on Ice. Jordan. Magic. When Brady is done with football I may not watch it again - I'm really only tracking his career to see where he ends up.

This stuff is awesome.

Reaction Score
UConn fans in general should not be compared to Pats fans or have the same expectations to understand these type of things. Pats fans are seriously in another league, or shall I say a league of their own.
As a New England fan, I can fully admit that Boston fans are insufferable. But it's hilarious that New York fans think they're that much better.

Newsflash: both fan bases are obnoxious (as are UConn fans). That trait comes with winning.

Reaction Score
EVERYONE DOES NOT CHEAT
Dude - you're completely irrational.
Every team cheats.

I'm not a Pats fan by the way - just enamored with Bill and Tom's drive at history.

Reaction Score
^^^^^^
THIS

As a kid who grew up in Central CT and always a Giant fan I had no issues at all with the Pats. Actually when they started their rise it was an underdog story so I most definitely rooted for them to become a power in the AFC since they were dreadful for so long. Like 916 said above, the "new" fans who are also the same fans who suddenly were crawling from under rocks and through walls after the 2004 Sox comeback vs the Yanks, are just downright impossible to even discuss anything with. Therein lies the issue with Pats and Sox fans, and once I moved up here to Western Mass and realized they were one in the same, and had to go to parties and stuff with these arrogant pukes, I then began to "hate". And it's real easy to do - don't get me wrong I don't hate the people I know just despise their arrogance when watching games or discussing any sort of rivalry.

And that says a lot because I'm real easy to get along with in those situations and always keep my mouth shut.:rolleyes:;)

UChusky916

Reaction Score
Mort said in the video that the balls were found to be at 11 PSI.
Do the math.
And again, the refs were using the balls the entire first half.

Ahhh... more cheating justification from Pats fans.
  1. Just because the refs were using it doesn't mean it's OKAY. You think they're supposed to notice this mid-game, stop the game and check all of the balls again? Give me a break. There's a reason why officials check the balls before kick-off and its to PREVENT teams from altering them. The point remains... they cheated. Stop trying to justify it.
  2. Mort said 11 PSI in the video. Footballs should be 12.5-13.5 PSI. The LATEST he reported says some were AS MUCH as 2 PSI underinflated. Meaning the footballs were ranging from 10.5 PSI to 11 PSI. It's still BELOW the threshold by 1.5-2 PSI. You're talking semantics here. The point remains... they cheated. Stop trying to justify it.

Reaction Score
Not true.

I grew up watching football in the 90's. I'm from CT. I became a fan of the Dolphins because of Dan Marino and I liked their colors and because their logo was a Dolphin wearing a football helmet (does it get any cooler than that?).

Marino was really good at the time and the Patriots were not. So I picked Miami as my team. Everyone at some point or another considers themselves a fan of a team because they are drawn to a player that they admire or because of family tradition for the most part.

In the late 90's, and early 2000's New England got Belichick and Brady and got good, really good. So naturally, Patriot fans start popping up everywhere. And they've had sustained success ever since because of good ownership, coaching, and QB play (that's what makes a good NFL team in a nut-shell).

They had Parcells and Bledsoe in 93, made playoffs in 94, Super Bowl in 96. The 88-93 period theyw ere underground cause they were bad

Reaction Score
Ahhh... more cheating justification from Pats fans.
  1. Just because the refs were using it doesn't mean it's OKAY. You think they're supposed to notice this mid-game, stop the game and check all of the balls again? Give me a break. There's a reason why officials check the balls before kick-off and its to PREVENT teams from altering them. The point remains... they cheated. Stop trying to justify it.
  2. Mort said 11 PSI in the video. Footballs should be 12.5-13.5 PSI. The LATEST he reported says some were AS MUCH as 2 PSI underinflated. Meaning the footballs were ranging from 10.5 PSI to 11 PSI. It's still BELOW the threshold by 1.5-2 PSI. You're talking semantics here. The point remains... they cheated. Stop trying to justify it.

I'm just a realist who knows that when Phil Simms said on national TV that Rodgers gets balls by refs (who apparently aren't as meticulous as you imagine) you probably didn't get your panties in a wad.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
I'm just a realist who knows that when Phil Simms said on national TV that Rodgers gets balls by refs (who apparently aren't as meticulous as you imagine) you probably didn't get your panties in a wad.

Classic response when you realize you've lost an argument. You're not disputing anything I'm saying.

Reaction Score
Classic response when you realize you've lost an argument. You're not disputing anything I'm saying.

Oh, do I really need to say that you wrote the Patriots tampered with the balls after the refs handed them to the ballboys 1 minute before the start of the game? I need to say that? I just let it go that you're making stuff up.

I'll also note that you didn't dispute my assertion that you don't care about Aaron Rodgers doing it, or the Vikings, or the Titans, or now a chorus of other voices like Brad Johnson, Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Leinhart, and 6 NFL head coaches down at the Senior Bowl, as the Wall Street Journal reported.

Reaction Score
Oh, do I really need to say that you wrote the Patriots tampered with the balls after the refs handed them to the ballboys 1 minute before the start of the game? I need to say that? I just let it go that you're making stuff up.

I'll also note that you didn't dispute my assertion that you don't care about Aaron Rodgers doing it, or the Vikings, or the Titans, or now a chorus of other voices like Brad Johnson, Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Leinhart, and 6 NFL head coaches down at the Senior Bowl, as the Wall Street Journal reported.

A league official said the Vikings didn't use the balls they warmed in the game. Rodgers said he likes it inflated more but the officials let the air out. Nothing like what the Pats did.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Funny, I'm a Redskins fan partially because of the Dolphins' colors too. It is quite possibly the ugliest combo in the NFL. Even Cleveland in more aesthetically pleasing. At least the colors match.

Reaction Score
Even if I were to accept everything you said, you're making a mountain out of a molehill, because you're a Jets fan. And because you're bitter at losing.

You might as well be a Providence fan.

Answer me one question.

Did the Patriots cheat this weekend against the Colts? Yes or no?

Reaction Score
The sun rises in the east and sets in the west and the Patriots cheat.

Tell me something that not everyone already knows(and has been proven).

Reaction Score
A league official said the Vikings didn't use the balls they warmed in the game. Rodgers said he likes it inflated more but the officials let the air out. Nothing like what the Pats did.

Who cares if they used them or not? They tampered with the balls.

As for Rodgers, he actually said he gets upset when they deflate them, but that most of the time, they let the balls [which are outside the guidelines] by. He gets to play with overinflated balls much of the time.

Reaction Score
And there's a problem with the fact the Colts are the one's who caught Billy B cheating again? Talk about denial

Belichick used to film defensive signals when he was the Giants DC. Back then, Parcells used to film offensive signals too!

Reaction Score
Belichick used to film defensive signals when he was the Giants DC. Back then, Parcells used to film offensive signals too!

I love how you are trying to claim all these people and teams are cheating, but the only team that keeps getting caught is the Pats.

Reaction Score
Fans like this make people hate Pats fans (they are not all this bad).

The whole "But but but but everyone did it!!! Waaaaaaah" excuse is so pathetic.

Man up, admit you cheated, do not blame others for YOUR actions, take your lumps like a man and move on.

Reaction Score
cheat

To violate rules deliberately, as in a game

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cheating

If it is a rule, and it was deliberately violated, it is cheating.

Not a hard concept, unless you are a Patriots fan. But they also want Pineda banned for par tarring, but think they are cute for deflating balls.

First, what did they do?

It's pretty clear on here that many posters are not even aware of what went on. You had people like yourself saying "cheaters!" and it had to be pointed out to them what happens with gameballs on gameday.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I love how you are trying to claim all these people and teams are cheating, but the only team that keeps getting caught is the Pats.
No other team has had the unparalleled success the Patriots have had over the last 15 years. As a Washington fan, I wish the 'Skins had the opportunity to say they were 0-2 in the Super Bowl over the last 8 years and had gone to 4 straight conference championships.

Man up, admit you cheated, do not blame others for YOUR actions, take your lumps like a man and move on.

When the Patriots "move on," and win another AFC East title and reach the conference championship the following year, it's fans of and former players for other teams that bring up taping signals. You know how I know? It's also fans of other teams who make fun of Belichick when he says something like, "We're on to Cincinnati."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom