OT Keurig Coffee Brewers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Keurig Coffee Brewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My wife bought me one for Christmas - I wanted her to return it because I could not imagine that I would like it. But...I do.

1) It's so convenient. So, so convenient. I was also worried that it would not make coffee hot enough, but it does.

2) I do not find that I'm drinking more coffee, but I am certainly wasting less. Instead of dumping out whatever isn't used, I'm only making what I'll drink.

3) The k-cups are likely more expensive than beans, but overall, I suspect I'm spending much less. I'm not wasting any coffee and if you buy in bulk, it's not that bad at all. I buy the ones we like, (Caribou brand), on Amazon in bulk. The cost is about 50 cents a k-cup.

Reaction Score
I cold brew with a coffee toddy maker. I keep the concentrate in the refrigerator; combine coffee and water and pop it into the microwave. It's good for about 10 days worth or coffee (for me).

220px-Toddy_coffee_system.jpg
Calp has this just right. I'm from New Orleans, a place that takes its coffee seriously. I like it strong and robust, with chicory of course, though some posters here might want a tamer blend. The rationale behind the cold brew method is that heat liberates the aromatic oils in coffee that lend it a bitter taste, something that will not happen if only cold water is used. The best brewing device is the Filtron, under $50 from amazon. You put in the filter, add a pound of coffee (Union coffee with chicory is unparalleled, offered on the net), then add cold water to an upper compartment to allow it to drip and muddle overnight. In the morning, remove the stopper from the bottom of the device and allow extract to drain into the provided carafe. This extract is quite powerful...mix about 1/4 cup with either water, or milk for cafe au lait, and heat in microwave. It takes a bit of trial and error to get the strength and style that suits you best. Outstanding!!

Reaction Score
I think the Keurig produces ok tasting coffee, but not great. Don't like the landfill implications.

I'm a one cup a day person but have never been satisfied with the taste of any coffee maker brews. Besides there were no 1 cup machines available until Keurig came along . My criteria were low cost, good taste, one cup.

After researching, I found the secret of an excellent cup of coffee is the temperature of the water. Too hot or too cold and you brew in acid or no flavor. The temp should be between 195 and 205 degrees. Unfortunately there are only two machines that reach this temperature and they cost $200+ and are large capacity machines. Not possible to brew 1 cup in them. I decided to go low tech:

I purchased a small plastic v-shaped coffee filter holder for a few bucks. It sits on top of the cup. Some have 1 drain hole, and some have 4. The one hole models are too slow draining, get the 4 holer. It takes a standard v-shaped paper filter, but those are expensive. I use a standard basket (flat bottom) filter and fold it into the V shape. Those are really inexpensive.

I pick the size of cup/mug I want to use and fill it with fresh water. I then pour the water into a large bottom tea kettle. The large base of the tea kettle coupled with the high powered stove we have boils the water in less time than it takes to scoop coffee into the filter. There is no reason to heat more water than you need. Heating the precise amount saves energy and time, plus you just pour all of the water into the filter with no worry of over filling. Removing the heated water from the stove, it only takes 10 seconds for the boiled water to cool down to the target water temperature. The water is then poured into the filter sitting on top of your mug. The result is a perfect cup of coffee every time.

Cleanup involves dumping your paper filter and rinsing the filter holder. Simple and nothing breakable.

The tea kettle I use is a Simplex whistling copper kettle. Expensive but good looking and fast heating. They make models for gas and electric ranges.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No one has made the argument for a French Press?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Calp has this just right. I'm from New Orleans, a place that takes its coffee seriously. I like it strong and robust, with chicory of course, though some posters here might want a tamer blend. The rationale behind the cold brew method is that heat liberates the aromatic oils in coffee that lend it a bitter taste, something that will not happen if only cold water is used. The best brewing device is the Filtron, under $50 from amazon. You put in the filter, add a pound of coffee (Union coffee with chicory is unparalleled, offered on the net), then add cold water to an upper compartment to allow it to drip and muddle overnight. In the morning, remove the stopper from the bottom of the device and allow extract to drain into the provided carafe. This extract is quite powerful...mix about 1/4 cup with either water, or milk for cafe au lait, and heat in microwave. It takes a bit of trial and error to get the strength and style that suits you best. Outstanding!!
Ugh! Any cup of coffee with chicory in it is an abomination. On the otherhand beignets and croissants in New Orleans are heavenly.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
French press...french press! And the garden loves the grounds!

Reaction Score
French press is all Cheryl and I have used for 25+ years. Currently a SS Bodum, and a Breville adjustable grinder. Grounds go into the gardens, same as Semper...

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Just what this planet of ours needs, another piece of plastic trash for every cup of coffee you make. Use a french press for a real cup of coffee and throw out the Keurig idea. Be kind to your mother--don't sacrifice her for your conveniences...
Trashberg__jpg_1200x750_q85.jpg

I use the reusable cartridge in my Keurig at home and the ones at work... no plastic cup, no paper filter. Spent grounds go in the garden.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I was hesitant to go Keurig but the for the most part love it. As Waq stated the insert is a pain to clean sometimes but I get to drink my Kona by having it. Its definitely a needed accessory

Hot java each time...not lukewarm. Remember, when reading reviews often they are written by idiots.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Connecticut no longer landfills municipal solid waste (I.e. garbage). It is incinerated and converted into energy, which is sold back to the power companies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My grandmother's coffee was an amazing thing. Every Sunday she made a fresh pot of coffee in a stove top percolater for Sunday dinner. That pot remained on the stove for the rest of the week with more water and more grounds added as more coffee was needed to drink. Her coffee was strong enough to stand a spoon in or so it seemed. Her coffee was never acidic or bitter because she also added egg shells to grounds. I still think back to that coffee as the best I ever had. When I got married my wife was stunned by how strong my liked its coffee. It all started with dad's mom.

Reaction Score
FWIW, if your preferences run to more conventional machines, we like our Cuisinart DCC-2600 Brew Central 14-Cup.
The machine works well and has good controls.We grind beans daily.

We know within a cup what we will drink. Any usable leftover usually gets 'fridgerated and used for cold drink later.

Reaction Score
Buy one!!!! They are so versatile. You do not have to brew just coffee. You can brew/heat up hot cocoa, hot tea, hot apple cider, lemonade(some folks swear the lemonade is off the hook. I have not tried it yet.) Plus the biggest benefit to me, is not dealing with left over coffee and coffee grounds that slip through the filter. With K-Cup you get a perfect cup of coffee at the right temp. I hate waiting 5-10 minutes before my coffee is cooled off to the point where I could drink it. By then, 9 times out of 10, I would have forgot about the coffee. Not with Keurig. I get my cup of coffee at the right temp and can sip it right off the bat. No need to wait 5-10 minutes before the coffee is cooled off and no wasted coffee or dealing with coffee grounds that slipped through the filter. The Keurig is a great investment.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Plastic K-cups can be used to start a seed or two.

I hadn't thought of that. A great idea. Today I started some Thai peppers in expended K cups. Thanks Nan.

As for environmental impact - much ado about nothing. Here in CT K cups are recycled. Even if they weren't, a collapsed K cup sans organic product occupies < 0.6 c inches. Water bottles, soft drink bottles, grocery bags and now K cups circumventing the earth. We're all doomed!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
do you add cream or sugar to the cup when using the k-cups/Keurig?

I have a B-45 Elite that's been sitting in the box for over a year and hopefully I'll be testing it this morning

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wonder why no one has thought to replace the plastic cups with a paper filter type cup?

There are such. The brand I tried was too Starbucksy strong for my taste. I still have some of them from 2 years ago!

Both a dripper and a Keurig sit on our counter and more often I fire up the tripper, since I like to drink lots of early AM coffee, I find the Keurig doesn't get to the temp I like, and unless you are use to spending a fortune on your coffee beans, the per cup Keurig cost is pretty steep.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/04/news/k-cups-keurig-inventor-regrets/
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...r-of-keurig-k-cups-shares-his-biggest-re.aspx

Stay away from this product if you have any compassion for the environment. Otherwise, what the heck. you only live once.

Reminds me of the time when soda ( and beer) removable pop tops first came out. They were everywhere, ecological nightmare. They quickly came out with a pop top that stays attached to the bottle/can.

Yes, the keurig generates garbage, but its a drop in the bucket compared to empty plastic water bottles. ( pun intended.)

Reaction Score
I hadn't thought of that. A great idea. Today I started some Thai peppers in expended K cups. Thanks Nan.

As for environmental impact - much ado about nothing. Here in CT K cups are recycled. Even if they weren't, a collapsed K cup sans organic product occupies < 0.6 c inches. Water bottles, soft drink bottles, grocery bags and now K cups circumventing the earth. We're all doomed!
Don't worry about the environment. The earth is here to serve us. Once we use up all the resources, the space program will be our savior. We'll just blast off to another planet and find another pristine array of resources to serve our needs and proliferate our species. Besides, eventually, through orbit decay, earth will be sucked into the sun and incinerated. So, no worries, pollute to you're heart's content. It's all temporary.

Husky25

Reaction Score
http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/04/news/k-cups-keurig-inventor-regrets/
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...r-of-keurig-k-cups-shares-his-biggest-re.aspx

Stay away from this product if you have any compassion for the environment. Otherwise, what the heck. you only live once.

They make reusable K-Cups that you can fill with whatever coffee you want. Ekobrew makes them if you want to spend $10. or go to Ocean State Job Lot where they are 3 for $1.00.

Don't worry about the environment. The earth is here to serve us. Once we use up all the resources, the space program will be our savior. We'll just blast off to another planet and find another pristine array of resources to serve our needs and proliferate our species. Besides, eventually, through orbit decay, earth will be sucked into the sun and incinerated. So, no worries, pollute to you're heart's content. It's all temporary.
th

Reaction Score
Their new machine 2.0, needs to "see" a silver or tan 1/4 inch edge around the top of the Kcup for it to work correctly. If it does not it will give you a warning, and if you leave a K cup out, it will only heat 6 oz of water at a time, can't choose 8 or 10 oz. I hollowed a used one out to make hot water :)

They gave me vouchers for 6 orders of coffee to cover my older K cups which would not work... I have the reusable cups but haven't tried them yet, probably will have to paint the top silver....;) to use them...

Reaction Score
Connecticut no longer landfills municipal solid waste (I.e. garbage). It is incinerated and converted into energy, which is sold back to the power companies.
Geesh, nothing's for free in CT... Next we'll be buying air...

Husky25

Reaction Score
Geesh, nothing's for free in CT... Next we'll be buying air...
What are you talking about? Why do you expect a company to provide a product or service for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom