OT Keurig Coffee Brewers | The Boneyard

OT Keurig Coffee Brewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I've been thinking about buying a Keurig Coffee Brewer. Have hesitated because of their cost and the cost of the individual coffee cups. Still I keep thinking about buying one. Would like the opinions of those that have one. Are they worth it? Do you find the cost of the individual cups of coffee worth it? Do you need to use a microwave as the cups of coffee come out lukewarm? (Have read this in reviews). Do you enjoy the different flavor of grinds that are offered or do you usually stay with one flavor? I usually make 3 or 4 cups of coffee in a Coffee Maker 5 to 6 mornings a week and don't drink coffee at all the rest of the day. Do you after purchasing a Keurig find that you're drinking coffee more often during the day/night? Any other comments/reviews are appreciated. Thanks

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Absolutely!

It's an excellent purchase!

The K-cups are somewhat expensive over time, so I just got the insertion ($5-10) that allows you to brew ground coffee. We use it daily.

It's cost effective this way and no one is wasting pots of coffee every morning!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've been thinking about buying a Keurig Coffee Brewer. Have hesitated because of their cost and the cost of the individual coffee cups. Still I keep thinking about buying one. Would like the opinions of those that have one. Are they worth it? Do you find the cost of the individual cups of coffee worth it? Do you need to use a microwave as the cups of coffee come out lukewarm? (Have read this in reviews). Do you enjoy the different flavor of grinds that are offered or do you usually stay with one flavor? I usually make 3 or 4 cups of coffee in a Coffee Maker 5 to 6 mornings a week and don't drink coffee at all the rest of the day. Do you after purchasing a Keurig find that you're drinking coffee more often during the day/night? Any other comments/reviews are appreciated. Thanks
I have used them and find them a little less than ideal given my love of strong coffee in large cups - they seem a little limited. The interesting thing is that I returned from a trip to find a huge box waiting on the doorstep - it turned out based on some formula of spending habits, Keurig decided I was an ideal customer and sent me a free coffee maker and six different varieties of tea and coffee cups. I have no idea how I was selected or how many free makers they sent, but ... it points to the profit margin on the cups which much be pretty large. Reminded me of the way diabetes test kits are sold (I am type II diabetic) - the actual tester you can get for free from a number of sources, because all the makers get their profit from the expected lifetime worth of test strips that will be bought - at two to six a day for many diabetes patients a year of test strips ends up paying for the free tester many times over.

Reaction Score
Had an older Tassimo machine (which I bought because it made espresso as well as regular coffee), but Keurig (Green Mountain) basically put them out of business. Thought the cup brewing process was very convenient, but more expensive that a regular coffee maker. (And a bit of a chore making multiple cups for people at a dinner party).

You don't really waste coffee in pots if you brew it per your custom. (After years, I can hit the spot on our Cuisinart coffee carafe for the correct amount of cups without looking). I'd be surprised if the Keurig with cups was more economical with your level and frequency of coffee consumption. Can't comment on HuskyFan's method - not familiar with it at all.

If you do want a single cup server, look at the Nespresso and the Verismo (Starbucks) too. Price the relative cost of cups. Friends love both.

If you're really into coffee, look at the better machines. We got a deal on a Miele, and it's fabulous. Makes incredible coffee with delicious crema, great espresso and wonderfully foamy cappuccino.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I was given a Keurig a couple of years ago as a birthday gift. I didn't think I would like it. Now I wouldn't be without it. The convenience, large number of blend choices and zero waste trumps the cost - I get mine for about 50 cents a cup. An added bonus - my wife now makes her tea in the machine. The coffee is hot enough that I have to let it cool for a bit before I can drink it.

Having grown up on midwatch coffee I didn't think I could get a strong enough brew. After trying a half dozen brews I settled on a dark roast Sumatra.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We have one. It's gets points for convienience. The coffee is better than instant, not as good as the coffee shop. I don't like the insert, it's a real pain in the arse to clean. Overall, a net positive. Ask for one as a birthday present.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
We love ours. Very convenient and we're not wasting coffee the way we used to. Buy the K-cups in 80 unit boxes at Sam's which brings the price < 45 cents/cup. Occasionally have to re-heat a cup but I used to do that with brewed coffee as well.

Reaction Score
Just what this planet of ours needs, another piece of plastic trash for every cup of coffee you make. Use a french press for a real cup of coffee and throw out the Keurig idea. Be kind to your mother--don't sacrifice her for your conveniences...
Trashberg__jpg_1200x750_q85.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Hamilton Beach Flex Brew are nice because they will brew with K cups or using an insert with regular ground coffee. I still believe that fresh ground makes the best. They also have a model that combines the ability to use k cups or the regular 12 cup pot all packed in a unit the size of a Keurig.

Take the time to try various blends of coffee until you find one that fits your pallet. When you find it it will have been worth the search.

Reaction Score
Two points that may or may not be relevant to you:

1) Keuring cups are no boon for the environment: the 8.3 billion K cups that Green Mountain supposedly produced last year would wrap around the equator 10 1/2 times if laid out in single file. The machines themselves may not be easy to recycle, either.

2) The patents on the original K cups expired in September 2012, and rival coffee producers have been able to put their coffee in compatible containers since then without the added cost of licensing. Keurig's new 2.0 brewers include chip readers that are programmed to work ONLY with Keurig-licensed K-Cups, so your choice of pre-packaged coffee will be more limited and more expensive if you buy the 2.0 model.

FWIW, I pretty much agree with all the previous posts on other aspects -- just thought I'd add these two points since others (apart from Rayvin56) had not addressed them already.

Reaction Score
I cold brew with a coffee toddy maker. I keep the concentrate in the refrigerator; combine coffee and water and pop it into the microwave. It's good for about 10 days worth or coffee (for me).

220px-Toddy_coffee_system.jpg

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Love our Kuerig. I like strong coffee and get a variety of blends; my wife can drink only decaf (Dr's orders) and my 94 year old Mom that lives with us starts her day with one cup of milder brew ("breakfast blend"). That accommodates all tastes, and my wife is a price hawk and never pays more than 50 cents a cup, usually less.

She has an on-line source, Alpine Coffee I think it is called, and also gets some from Costco. While the San Francisco French Roast (and the same company makes a "Fogchaser") and both are excellent, I don't care for Pacific Bold from Costco so much.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Just what this planet of ours needs, another piece of plastic trash for every cup of coffee you make. Use a french press for a real cup of coffee and throw out the Keurig idea. Be kind to your mother--don't sacrifice her for your conveniences...
Trashberg__jpg_1200x750_q85.jpg

I side with this post. The K-cups are made of plastic, and that is never good. Problem is, folks like convenience. They don't want to measure out water, measure out coffee, but for me, it's worth it. I use a french press every morning. It makes perfect coffee, two cups, and the grounds can be used in a garden.

Foks, think of your environment before you purchase one of these...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Everyone to his own kick, of course, but I think that the 30 seconds I spend grinding fresh-roasted beans in my 15-year-old Krups, and the additional 15 seconds or so that I spend filling the coffee pot and pouring it into the dripolater make me appreciate the coffee that much more. Oh, and the five-minute or so wait while the water drips down through the coffee, filling the kitchen with the delicious aroma of brewing coffee.

Reaction Score
Love my Keurig!
Several cup makers are now "green" and do not use those plastic cups (Gorilla, SF Bay...)
Spend more and don't buy the one cup brewer.
Register it! Ours developed a problem after 10 months and was replaced. Customer Service was good.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I bought a plastic Ecobrew cup about 3 years ago on eBay. I can have what ever flavor of coffee I choose and don't polute the environment at all. Put the used grounds into your compost bin.

Reaction Score
We have had ours 3 or 4 years. We love it. We do both the cups and we found one of the reusable cups that works well (other we tried didn't). The coffee is hot but we also do not put cold water in - we fill with room temp water. We have to clean it every few weeks - but we drink a lot of coffee so it really gets used. We would buy another one in a minute. I am not a flavored coffee drinker so I use the reusable cup with (fine ground coffee doesn't work well though) and my husband is a flavored coffee drinker so he uses mostly cups. If you order online in some quantity (their site, Green Mountain, Coffee Cow) they are less expensive.

Reaction Score
I love mine...and always add cold water but still add an ice cube to my coffee to cool it enough to drink immediately.

Reaction Score
Wonder why no one has thought to replace the plastic cups with a paper filter type cup?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
there has been some good sales on them lately... 80 bucks or so with a dozen sample cups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom