OT: Grecian Fomula? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Grecian Fomula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've had some gray hair for years anyway. But I think, from watching the football and men's basketball games this year,my gray hair has doubled.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm curious about the guys who use it who are married.

The question would be why?

I get someone still out on the field trying to score points and look for any advantage. I'm all for PED's.

A few years ago I used touch of gray for my beard a couple times. It really did nothing to the parts of my beard that were already white. It just darkened the parts that weren't gray, which I didn't need.

I'm married, I said "screw it who am I trying to ? "

I'm married and use the Youthair stuff. Now if I was 40 pounds lighter I think I'd pull off the handsome grey haired guy. When overweight it's just not good.

Brodog16

Alzheimer's sucks
Reaction Score
I'm married and use the Youthair stuff. Now if I was 40 pounds lighter I think I'd pull off the handsome grey haired guy. When overweight it's just not good.
I have a very simple philosophy about my hair. I only have to look at it in the morning, the rest of the day, it's not my worry. At 58, I have a full head of hair. As my late father in law said... "God made only so many heads with hair.... The rest were perfect." Which matters more? Color vs. coverage?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have a very simple philosophy about my hair. I only have to look at it in the morning, the rest of the day, it's not my worry. At 58, I have a full head of hair. As my late father in law said... "God made only so many heads with hair.... The rest were perfect." Which matters more? Color vs. coverage?

I've got both right now. My hairline has never budged. But the Youthair stuff is easy. It's basically hair gel that keeps your hair not grey.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Caution. Read directions, know when to rinse. I didn't. Looked like I came out of a tar pit. It was Just for Men. Laughing stock of the East Coast. Now the only thing black on me are my eyebrows. I am actually shocked this post took off...lol.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Battle the grays by not watching these Huskies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My class went to the Boston Museum of Science every year. The lighting outside the Omni makes certain things glow. One year one of the chaperone's hair appeared to glow purple. Nearest we could figure he used Grecian, or something similar.

Poor guy. The kids called him "Barney" the rest of the day.

</anecdote>

Reaction Score
Because my wife wants me to look younger. I don't mind the grey but the all-white patches kind of scare me.

Your wife wanted you to look younger?!

Can you imagine any guy here making a suggestion about their wife's physical appearance saying you wanted them to look younger? You need a stronger pimp hand, friend.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You're assuming he's a dude.

Can you imagine any guy here making a suggestion about their wife's physical appearance saying you wanted them to look younger? You need a stronger pimp hand, friend.

Reaction Score
Whelp if the wife requests it I suppose I get it.

My wife told me I looked stupid and tovstop it. ( but she pretty much finds a way to say that to me every day about something)
Objection! First you are critical/can't understand why married guys would do it and then a post later you are copping to using it yourself until getting a cease & desist from the Mrs?! Meaning you've established the ONLY reason to use it is to try & get laid - so now you must either cop to a failed effort with aforementioned missus or other...

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
They gave me a cream called Aquaohor to use after treatments and again at night. It worked. Hope all is going well for you.

Radiology oncologist gave me a bunch of aquaphor samples, but said if I have access to an aloe plant, to use that instead. I'm in my last quarter of the treatments now, and the "sunburn" is just getting to be an issue. Still not all that painful, but the radiation therapist is concerned that it may start peeling.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Objection! First you are critical/can't understand why married guys would do it and then a post later you are copping to using it yourself until getting a cease & desist from the Mrs?! Meaning you've established the ONLY reason to use it is to try & get laid - so now you must either cop to a failed effort with aforementioned missus or other...

well its both.

My wife told me it looked bad. If I was motivated to do it I would do it anyway. I was motivated for about 5 minutes, I tried it, and also came to my own conclusion that for me personally its silly for a married man, but thats just me.

I just was curious why a married guy would do it considering my own personal experience. I think if we polled wives about it, the breakdown between wives who "want their husband to look younger" and wives who say " who are you trying to look younger for, are you cheating on me?" would break down to about 50/50

Honestly I think the answer boils down to vanity. Everybody has their vices. Im a lazy sloth. thats mine (among too many others). I dont judge. If vanity is your thing, have at it.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

My wife and I have an ongoing (40 plus year) "discussion" vis-a-vis my beard and her hair.
Terry: "I've put up with that beard for XX years. I never liked it. Aren't you supposed to groom yourself to appeal to me?"
Rich: "If we were supposed to groom ourselves for each other, why isn't your hair still down to your waist?"
Terry: "You know that's too much work to take care of every day."
Rich: "So is shaving."
Case closed. For another week or two, anyway.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When I first started practicing, I longed for a touch of grey because it seemed to me that the older lawyers walked in the door with the advantage of being taken more seriously from the get-go.

Now I look in the mirror and say "WTF were you thinking?"

Not to mention, I failed to appreciate fully the advantages of being underestimated.

White sideburns are the only thing I ever considered dying, simply to match the salt and (still mostly) pepper hair on the rest of my head. I asked my barber about it and he told me a few options that all seemed silly to me for one reason or another. Shortly thereafter I was away on vacation among an extended group of friends and acquaintances from across the country, and a few of us quickly started goofing on one dude who clearly had a bad dye job and/or bad dye product usage. It became a thing that grew and grew and lasted all week and beyond, all unbeknownst to the guy, who became a caricature to us. I've never thought about doing it again.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My wife and I have an ongoing (40 plus year) "discussion" vis-a-vis my beard and her hair.
Terry: "I've put up with that beard for XX years. I never liked it. Aren't you supposed to groom yourself to appeal to me?"
Rich: "If we were supposed to groom ourselves for each other, why isn't your hair still down to your waist?"
Terry: "You know that's too much work to take care of every day."
Rich: "So is shaving."
Case closed. For another week or two, anyway.
RichZ....were you two the inspiration for The Lockhorns?

upload_2017-1-6_9-25-42.jpeg

Reaction Score
well its both.

My wife told me it looked bad. If I was motivated to do it I would do it anyway. I was motivated for about 5 minutes, I tried it, and also came to my own conclusion that for me personally its silly for a married man, but thats just me.

I just was curious why a married guy would do it considering my own personal experience. I think if we polled wives about it, the breakdown between wives who "want their husband to look younger" and wives who say " who are you trying to look younger for, are you cheating on me?" would break down to about 50/50

Honestly I think the answer boils down to vanity. Everybody has their vices. Im a lazy sloth. thats mine (among too many others). I dont judge. If vanity is your thing, have at it.
That's fair, and I suppose the earlier you go gray (i.e. esp pre-40 or all gray 50ish) or just look older than your years the more likely one is to try something. The vanity thing is right, my personal take is I know I can't control what people think so mostly don't care BUT at same time the last thing I'd want people to think is that I'm vain. Yet that's vanity in itself, I'm proudly perceived as not vain?! Its a weird but easier balance for males then females.

I'd say 90% of women dye their hair at this point, 100% in higher income brackets. Seems like that's really taken off in last 10-20 years attributable to better dyes. Is that yet another investment opportunity as baby boomers are all 50+ now?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Last year I was 61 and and looking for a job for the first time in 33 years. My wife suggested using something for job interviews. I didn't but I could understand someone doing it for that reason. It can be hard to get a job over 50.
But if you use it to get the job and then show up au natural to start the job, that would be weird. Otherwise you are stuck coloring your hair until you retire.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Last year I was 61 and and looking for a job for the first time in 33 years. My wife suggested using something for job interviews. I didn't but I could understand someone doing it for that reason. It can be hard to get a job over 50.
But if you use it to get the job and then show up au natural to start the job, that would be weird. Otherwise you are stuck coloring your hair until you retire.
A good haircut can overcome gray hair. Plus stop making references to things that were hip before 1985.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom