OT - Giants HC search (Update: Hiring Ben McAdoo) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT - Giants HC search (Update: Hiring Ben McAdoo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ben McAdoo it is

Not trying to be a dick, but how can the Giants expect better results w damn near the same cast of characters? Insert Einstein quote here.

Maybe it works, but betting on that would seems a bit foolish.

Reaction Score
Not trying to be a dick, but how can the Giants expect better results w damn near the same cast of characters? Insert Einstein quote here.

Maybe it works, but betting on that would seems a bit foolish.
I agree, but the roster should look a lot different next year, a lot of guys will be cut and we will have around 50 mill in cap space (which is A LOT)

Reaction Score
I agree, but the roster should look a lot different next year, a lot of guys will be cut and we will have around 50 mill in cap space (which is A LOT)

Roster better look different because it may be that all they get rid of is TC and that's strange.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My guess is there will only be minor changes to the offensive personnel but major turnover on defense.

I also believe that if TC did pull Beckham aside at some point during the game against Carolina (and sat him for a series to cool him down) he would still be the head coach. What gets me is not doing so was completely out of character for Coughlin.

Reaction Score
This season was lost due to injuries (no excuse), lack of depth (Reese) and bonehead end of game mismanagement (Coughlin). McAdoo will still run the offense and they'll hire a sycophant as OC. The offense wasn't the problem. I just have to have faith in ownership (I do) and Reese (I don't) that this new menu is a McSuccess.

Reaction Score
I heard a theory that the reason the Giants all of a sudden moved so fast on McAdoo, and even negotiated through the night, is because Coughlin signing with the Eagles is inmate and the Giants feared Eagles would hire McAdoo as their OC. I don't know if it is true but it does make some sense.

Reaction Score
I heard a theory that the reason the Giants all of a sudden moved so fast on McAdoo, and even negotiated through the night, is because Coughlin signing with the Eagles is inmate and the Giants feared Eagles would hire McAdoo as their OC. I don't know if it is true but it does make some sense.
I really hope Coughlin won't do that

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So it turns out it was all Tom Coughlin's fault. And promoting Eli"s security blanket will fix everything. Good luck with that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I really hope Coughlin won't do that

While, I have next to no faith in ESPN unnamed 'sources', I do make the exception for Schefter. He may be a dork, but he's damn good about being accurate as possible:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...nterest-hiring-tom-coughlin-coach-intensifies

Reaction Score
While, I have next to no faith in ESPN unnamed 'sources', I do make the exception for Schefter. He may be a dork, but he's damn good about being accurate as possible:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...nterest-hiring-tom-coughlin-coach-intensifies
Phew.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 12m12 minutes ago
Tom Coughlin is withdrawing his name from consideration for Eagles HC job, per sources. Not the right fit.

And he was also up for the 49ers position too, but distance was likely a factor:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 26m26 minutes ago
49ers expected to choose between Chip Kelly and Mike Shanahan for their next HC, per league sources. Decision likely within next 24 hours.

Maybe he'll stick with the Giants in some sort of front office capacity.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Phew.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 12m12 minutes ago
Tom Coughlin is withdrawing his name from consideration for Eagles HC job, per sources. Not the right fit.

Not much of a surprise really. They just fired a smart coach for basically being an @ss. Top of their list was hiring someone who was good with the touchy feely end of things. Says all you need to know about Lurie. Mediocrity.

Reaction Score
Not much of a surprise really. They just fired a smart coach for basically being an @ss. Top of their list was hiring someone who was good with the touchy feely end of things. Says all you need to know about Lurie. Mediocrity.
Yup, and the 49ers took advantage of the Eagles miscue - they just hired Chip Kelly. Kind of great news for Kaepernick.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yup, and the 49ers took advantage of the Eagles miscue - they just hired Chip Kelly. Kind of great news for Kaepernick.

If he wants him. Wonder what the discussion was on Kaep. Was there a directive to develop him? Or was it a conditional release a la the Hue Jackson hire?

The Browns ducked that one up btw. Should have said they are committed to Manziel. Any little bargaining position they had before the hire just went out the window. I still think they could have got something from the Rams or Jerry Jones. We'll see. That front office is still a leaky sieve though.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Remember the last time The Giants promoted their offensive coordinator from within to replace a two time Super Bowl winner? As a 'Skins fan, the prospect of another Ray Handley-esque era is making me giddy.

Reaction Score
Remember the last time The Giants promoted their offensive coordinator from within to replace a two time Super Bowl winner? As a 'Skins fan, the prospect of another Ray Handley-esque era is making me giddy.
Fassel was the OC for the Giants a couple years prior to being hired as the HC, and Coughlin was an offensive coach for the Giants prior to being hired as well. Not direct promotions, but this is how the Giants do things. Reeves is the one exception.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Fassel was the OC for the Giants a couple years prior to being hired as the HC, and Coughlin was an offensive coach for the Giants prior to being hired as well. Not direct promotions, but this is how the Giants do things. Reeves is the one exception.
Fassel worked for the Giants 5 years before he was HC. Interestingly enough, Fassel was Ray Handley's Offensive Coordinator. Fassel was OC for Oakland and Arizona the two years prior to being hired by NY. He was not promoted from within.

Reeves and Coughlin had prior NFL HC experience before the Giants. Handley did not, nor does McAdoo.

Reaction Score
Fassel worked for the Giants 5 years before he was HC. Interestingly enough, Fassel was Ray Handley's Offensive Coordinator. Fassel was OC for Oakland and Arizona the two years prior to being hired by NY. He was not promoted from within.

Reeves and Coughlin had prior NFL HC experience before the Giants. Handley did not, nor does McAdoo.
I specifically said he was not a direct promotion in my response. I am aware of his coaching history.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I specifically said he was not a direct promotion in my response. I am aware of his coaching history.
Then your response has nothing to do with my post. Fassel was not promoted from within, nor did he replace a 2 time Super Bowl winning coach with the Giants.

Reaction Score
Then your response has nothing to do with my post. Fassel was not promoted from within, nor did he replace a 2 time Super Bowl winning coach with the Giants.
My point was since the Ray Perkins era the Giants always hire HC who have previously worked for organization with the exception of Dan Reeves, it is the way the organization is run, but I understand your spin on the situation. I am sure your as happy about the potential for failure as Giants fan are giddy about Washington potentially giving Kirk Cousin a big money long term deal.

Husky25

Reaction Score
My point was since the Ray Perkins era the Giants always hire HC who have previously worked for organization with the exception of Dan Reeves, it is the way the organization is run, but I understand your spin on the situation. I am sure your as happy about the potential for failure as Giants fan are giddy about Washington potentially giving Kirk Cousin a big money long term deal.

Scott McLoughin built the 9ers' Super Bowl teams that went to 3 straight NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl, as well as the nucleus of the current Seahawks mini-dynasty. With Snyder semmingly in the background and not meddling in player personnel, I'm willing to give management the benefit of the doubt this year.

Reaction Score
Scott McLoughin built the 9ers' Super Bowl teams that went to 3 straight NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl, as well as the nucleus of the current Seahawks mini-dynasty. With Snyder semmingly in the background and not meddling in player personnel, I'm willing to give management the benefit of the doubt this year.
I have the utmost respect for McLoughin, he is great, and will do very good things in Washington as long as he can stay sober.

I would trade GMs with the Redskins in a heart beat.

He did not hire Harabaugh or draft Kap or Bowman though which you could argue were the reasons why (with Willis and others on D he did bring in) they went those championship games.

I do not mean that as a knock on him, as I said I think he is great.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If he wants him. Wonder what the discussion was on Kaep. Was there a directive to develop him? Or was it a conditional release a la the Hue Jackson hire?

The Browns ducked that one up btw. Should have said they are committed to Manziel. Any little bargaining position they had before the hire just went out the window. I still think they could have got something from the Rams or Jerry Jones. We'll see. That front office is still a leaky sieve though.

Jerry doesn't have much power anymore, or else we'd have taken Johnny instead of Zack Martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom