OT - Giants HC search (Update: Hiring Ben McAdoo) | The Boneyard

OT - Giants HC search (Update: Hiring Ben McAdoo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Three New York Giants threads? THREE?

ahahah. Tcf probably should have included this at the end of one of the others, but it's hard to knock the man on this forum.

Reaction Score
I want my Gmen to look at Sean Payton hard. Also a darkhorse i want them to look at is Dan Campbell from Miami, if he isn't brought back. Played for them, seems like a fiery guy and turned Miami around a little bit.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I want my Gmen to look at Sean Payton hard. Also a darkhorse i want them to look at is Dan Campbell from Miami, if he isn't brought back. Played for them, seems like a fiery guy and turned Miami around a little bit.

You just went totally off the rez there. Crazy. Miami is stupid if they bring that guy back. It was a good midseason move, because Philbin sucked balls, and the fact that it was a no risk move. Interim coaches are only very rarely successful in their future endeavors, so you really only want to hire a placeholder (while conducting a proper search at the end of the year). I think the change in team attitude was guaranteed, rather than due to anything Campbell did. It was a 'anyone but Philbin' thing imo. Campbell needs to spend some serious time as a coordinator before doing anything else. Knowing Miami, they'll probably hire him and regret it in a few years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think mcadoo is the front runner at this point. Josh McDaniels will and should get a look.

I think the people hoping for Sean Payton will be disappointed.

Yeah hoping and getting are 2 different things obviously. McAdoo will be a disappointment for me not a huge fan, McDaniels maybe better. Like the idea above on Campbell but reality is he needs coaching experience more than likely. They certainly played for him and went all out but still need to be able to coach from Day 1 in a 16 game series and that's obviously not as easy as taking over a doomed team for a few games. Guess we'll see how it plays out.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think mcadoo is the front runner at this point. Josh McDaniels will and should get a look.

I think McDaniels will be good in his next gig. He's probably learned a lot from his failure, as BB did in Cleveland. It takes time to learn to run things right. His three crap moves were: 1. openly challenging clashing with Brandon Marshall right out the gate -- I get why he did it, but he shouldn't have. Hurt any returns he could have gotten. Just ship him out quietly if you don't like him. 2. How he handled the Jay Cutler thing. Again, just not smoothly done. Too many feathers ruffled. 3. Drafting Tebow 1st round. A job killing move. Enough said.

But not McDaniels for the Giants please. Any other NFC team will do. I want them to hire someone without any familiarity to BB. Please. People with familiarity always seem to do well against him.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Weird, the few times I saw the Fish Dan Campbell was a placid statue.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Speaking of executive/coaching searches, here's Exhibit A of what NOT to do:

1. Hire a lawyer without any personnel experience to be your vice president of football operation (and responsible for personnel). Awesome job.

2. Hire a baseball strategist to be the team's chief strategy officer, above said inexperienced lawyer, and answer directly to Haslam. Because strategist in baseball with no salary cap, better advanced statistics, and more easily measurable individual stats translates very well to football.​

Jimmy Haslam is one of the worst owners in the game. His team reflects that.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
At the risk of getting destroyed on this thread....I'd love to see Bill Cowher come out of his retirement and coach the Giants. It's apparently a job he's coveted for awhile, and said he'd never angle at a job that was someone elses. Now that TC is out, he might be interested.

He's apparently got a good relationship with the Maras and being in Pitt for so long and the Rooney's and Mara's basically being family - the connection might be there.

A big issue is he hasn't coached in almost a decade. I believe his last game was 12/31/06. I'd still love to give him a shot.

I also think Mike Shula would be an interesting hire. He's got winning in his blood and has made Cam Newton a star with limited talent on offense.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
At the risk of getting destroyed on this thread....I'd love to see Bill Cowher come out of his retirement and coach the Giants. It's apparently a job he's coveted for awhile, and said he'd never angle at a job that was someone elses. Now that TC is out, he might be interested.

He's apparently got a good relationship with the Maras and being in Pitt for so long and the Rooney's and Mara's basically being family - the connection might be there.

A big issue is he hasn't coached in almost a decade. I believe his last game was 12/31/06. I'd still love to give him a shot.

I also think Mike Shula would be an interesting hire. He's got winning in his blood and has made Cam Newton a star with limited talent on offense.
I feel like Cowher would've been the guy if TC retired after the Super Bowl. Now, I'm not so sure. As you pointed out, it's been a looooong time since he was a coach.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I'd rather have McDaniels. I see McAdoo's first job going the way McDaniels' did. It's pretty difficult for a young guy with only 2 years as a coordinator under his belt to take over and lead an NFL team. McDaniels learned that the hard way, as did many before him, including that guy who coached the Browns and then turned down the Jets job -- can't remember his name, but he was actually a DC for a long time.

I like McAdoo. I hope he stays. But this notion that a wunderkind can take over a crappy team and lead it to success in the short term is fanciful, IMO. In baseball, sure. In basketball, maybe. In football? Nope. Two guys have won SBs in their 30s: Tomlin and Gruden. Both took over teams with WAY more talent than the Giants have. And Gruden had not only been a HC previously, but he had also been a coordinator for a couple years before that. Tomlin was short on experience but, again, he was taking over a team that had been to the playoffs twice in the previous three seasons.

Long story short, this team needs a kick in the rear by someone who knows what he's doing, not a nudge to get them over the hump.

Reaction Score
I think McDaniels will be good in his next gig. He's probably learned a lot from his failure, as BB did in Cleveland. It takes time to learn to run things right. His three crap moves were: 1. openly challenging clashing with Brandon Marshall right out the gate -- I get why he did it, but he shouldn't have. Hurt any returns he could have gotten. Just ship him out quietly if you don't like him. 2. How he handled the Jay Cutler thing. Again, just not smoothly done. Too many feathers ruffled. 3. Drafting Tebow 1st round. A job killing move. Enough said.

But not McDaniels for the Giants please. Any other NFC team will do. I want them to hire someone without any familiarity to BB. Please. People with familiarity always seem to do well against him.

Was drafting Tebow really a McDaniels move or was that more of a FO move? I can't imagine McDaniels having enough FO pull to make that decision unilaterally

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Was drafting Tebow really a McDaniels move or was that more of a FO move? I can't imagine McDaniels having enough FO pull to make that decision unilaterally

I was inclined to agree with you, but this Denver post article seems to back everything intlz is saying about McDaniels being responsible for drafting Tebow and getting rid of Cutler and Marshall.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14940537

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

Cowher to me was a Bill Parcells lite. Same temperament. A no nonsense kind of guy.

Reaction Score
I was inclined to agree with you, but this Denver post article seems to back everything intlz is saying about McDaniels being responsible for drafting Tebow and getting rid of Cutler and Marshall.

I'd like to see something written about what the power structure was in the FO at that time. The fact that the Broncos not only kept, but started Tebow after McDaniels had been fired makes me think it couldn't have just been his guy.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'd like to see something written about what the power structure was in the FO at that time. The fact that the Broncos not only kept, but started Tebow after McDaniels had been fired makes me think it couldn't have just been his guy.

Perhaps. I don't know the exact details. Just what I've read over the years. I do know that McDaniels pushed hard for him, and Tebow wouldn't have been drafted if McDaniels didn't want him in the first place.

I'm sure they kept Tebow because what else were they going to do with him? No one else seemed to want him much. They spent a 1st rounder on him. Didn't really have any other option. And then he even won a playoff game.

As an aside: here's McDaniel's on learning from his Denver experience:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/c...-mcdaniels-admits-mistakes-when-broncos-coach

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

No to Doug Marrone for quitting Buffalo and then ending up as a line coach/assistant head coach.

I would rather have McDaniels come in or keep McAdoo as I like how Manning's career has improved under his leadership. The biggest thing is getting depth and having a defense that actually stops someone.

Reaction Score

Been a Bronco's fan since the 70's and McDaniels was a disaster. McDaniels fashioned himself the smartest guy in the room and inflexible without the credentials to be that way - a la Charlie Weiss but not as abrasive (nobody is as much of an ass on the football field as Charlie when he's in charge). Those who think he'll be BB V2 because they both failed in their first head coaching gigs - I'll give you one example of many that haven't followed that pattern - Rich Kotite.

If I'm in the division with the Giants I hope to hell they get McDaniels and have Reese as the GM you can then pencil Big Blue at the bottom of the division for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom