OT-Giants Fans... Jason Pierre Paul injured. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT-Giants Fans... Jason Pierre Paul injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Very bad situation all the way around. I thought something was off when I heard the Giants couldnt visit him today. Who knows if any legal issues will come out of his medical information leaked?

Reaction Score
It looks like its an amputated index finger, hopefully thats the extent of the injuries, if so he's lucky it was only 1 finger.

Reaction Score
I liked James Harrison calling Adam Schefter a POS for putting out JPP medical info.

Reaction Score
Do HIPAA laws apply to journalists who publish leaked medical documents?

Nope but I bet the hospital compliance department is scrambling this morning to find out who provided the info if not officially released by JPP (or family). They are on the hook.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
This is crap...Shefter and ESPN had a Hospital employee break the HIPPA law for them...

Someone smarter than me should try to access his wife OBGYN records and tweet that out...

Reaction Score
Nope but I bet the hospital compliance department is scrambling this morning to find out who provided the info if not officially released by JPP (or family). They are on the hook.

Pretty slimy by Shefter. Can he not simply report that JPP had his finger amputated without tweeting out screen shots of his actual medical records?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Wow. I work in health care IT. That is going to be pretty expensive, at least $10k I would imagine.

Reaction Score
Scoe said:
Of course ESpin will defend Schefter whatever gives them ratings i mean who cares if its someones medical report.

This isn't on Schefter. It is on whoever leaked it to him. That's why there are laws.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
This isn't on Schefter. It is on whoever leaked it to him. That's why there are laws.
I disagree. There is fault with the individual who provided the medical information to him. But a health care professional (doctor, nurse, CNA - anyone) at that hospital who is not involved in the care of JPP would not have the right to review his medical record. They would be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination. Yet despite those regulations, we give the media the ability to showcase protected health information without fear of retribution. Just like hospitals and health care organizations are fined for PHI breaches, media outlets should be fined heavily for purposeful PHI breaches. I don't know if they are sheltered under FOI but it makes no sense that we enact laws to protect patients and fine health care organizations for (often accidental) breaches only to let a media outlet post PHI on their web site for the world to see.

Reaction Score
I disagree. There is fault with the individual who provided the medical information to him. But a health care professional (doctor, nurse, CNA - anyone) at that hospital who is not involved in the care of JPP would not have the right to review his medical record. They would be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination. Yet despite those regulations, we give the media the ability to showcase protected health information without fear of retribution. Just like hospitals and health care organizations are fined for PHI breaches, media outlets should be fined heavily for purposeful PHI breaches. I don't know if they are sheltered under FOI but it makes no sense that we enact laws to protect patients and fine health care organizations for (often accidental) breaches only to let a media outlet post PHI on their web site for the world to see.

I agree with you in theory - but if we start telling the media what they can and cannot report - assuming they were not party in obtaining it illegally - legitimate news will be missed.

Does the media misuse things. Yes. Do I think it was necessary to post that? No. I think it is , but once it is out there someone is going to post it. Might as well get the clicks - that's the job they are in.

Reaction Score
I agree with you in theory - but if we start telling the media what they can and cannot report - assuming they were not party in obtaining it illegally - legitimate news will be missed.

Does the media misuse things. Yes. Do I think it was necessary to post that? No. I think it is ty, but once it is out there someone is going to post it. Might as well get the clicks - that's the job they are in.

I would have no issue with Shefter reporting about his amputated finger. What I find sleezy is posting the actual private medical record. I understand it's all about the clicks and what not, but at some point you have to put your head on the pillow and be able to sleep.

Reaction Score
I would have no issue with Shefter reporting about his amputated finger. What I find sleezy is posting the actual private medical record. I understand it's all about the clicks and what not, but at some point you have to put your head on the pillow and be able to sleep.

I don't disagree that it is sleezy - I was just pointing out that I wouldn't want the media prosecuted for something like that. What if it were in the public interest (government official trying to hide a disease or something).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
JPP should absolutely file a complaint as this is a clear violation of his HIPAA rights. But Money is right, the fault (or penalty) lies with JPP's provider(s)...not ESPiN/Schefter. It's absolutely, completely , 100% sleazy journalism on his and ESPiN's part; not that I expect anything less from that "news" organization. But it's up to the medical provider(s), insurance carriers, health care professionals, and JPP to protect his PHI. I'm going to assume JPP didn't leak his own medical record to Schefter so that means someone at that hospital is at fault. Someone will be fired over this as this stuff is taken very seriously in the health care industry.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
JPP should absolutely file a complaint as this is a clear violation of his HIPAA rights. But Money is right, the fault (or penalty) lies with JPP's provider(s)...not ESPiN/Schefter. It's absolutely, completely , 100% sleazy journalism on his and ESPiN's part; not that I expect anything less from that "news" organization. But it's up to the medical provider(s), insurance carriers, health care professionals, and JPP to protect his PHI. I'm going to assume JPP didn't leak his own medical record to Schefter so that means someone at that hospital is at fault. Someone will be fired over this as this stuff is taken very seriously in the health care industry.

Do we know how Shefter got that info?

Did he pay for it?
Did the employee go to Shefter or was Shefter hiding in the Shadows of the parking lot...

Reaction Score
I don't disagree that it is sleezy - I was just pointing out that I wouldn't want the media prosecuted for something like that. What if it were in the public interest (government official trying to hide a disease or something).

We're on the same page. Legally speaking, the fault is (and should) be with the hospital employee who leaked it. And Shefter is sleazy.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Do we know how Shefter got that info?

Did he pay for it?
Did the employee go to Shefter or was Shefter hiding in the Shadows of the parking lot...

I have no idea. I'm going to GUESS that Shefter asked for more info/details, as all reporters do, and somewhere along the lines of discussion, a hospital employee made JPP's record available to him. I don't know if it was paid for, if the transaction took place in a shadowy parking lot, or if Shefter had to sleep with a hospital employee to get the record. If he, or someone at ESPiN, stole the record (i.e. - saw it laying somewhere and took it), then we are having an entirely different conversation about Shefter and ESPiN's role in this.

As of right now, JPP should file a complaint as his PHI was clearly shared and his HIPAA rights clearly violated. Someone at the hospital should be fired. And someone at ESPiN should be writing up a PR about how very sorry they are for their role (they were the ones who went public with it) in this and should probably put Shefter on some sort of Probationary/Time Out LOA.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Im also amazed at the the amount of stupid things athletes spend, JPP bought a trailer full of fireworks, there are athletes who have over 10 vehicles do you really need that much. Floyd Mayeweather supposedly has 6 mill dollar car collection. Its their money they can spend what they want, but you wonder why a lot of these guys go bankrupt.

Floyd got something like 220 million for his last fight alone. Even though he's a degenerate gambler, I'd be shocked if his money isn't netting him 10 million a year with him doing nothing at all. He may be an , but he's actually pretty sharp business-wise. I can't believe I'm defending floyd mayweather right now. smh

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm always amazed at the stupidity of some of these professional athletes in the offseason. Not just JPP. Tom Brady was caught on camera jumping off of a cliff.

That was a tiny @ss cliff though. It's like jumping off the high dive.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This makes me angry.

If he didn't do it, animal control or rangers probably would have. It's pretty common (see it with sharks). I guess they don't want the animal to get a taste for humans, and start venturing out of its territory to hunt people. Sucks that the original guy's idiocy got the gator killed.

Reaction Score
If he didn't do it, animal control or rangers probably would have. It's pretty common (see it with sharks). I guess they don't want the animal to get a taste for humans, and start venturing out of its territory to hunt people. Sucks that the original guy's idiocy got the gator killed.

Wow a real tough guy :rolleyes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr