OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
say what? your first sentence: Geno did say she was a great player but the second part of that implies that Geno also commented on her having "other stuff" ..... is that true, I love to hear that proof...

The quote from a Jeff Jacobs article in November 2015 is provided:

"There was never any doubt she was the kind of talent coming out of high school that could have kind of a Maya [Moore] impact on a program," Auriemma said. "It was managing all the other stuff that went along with it that was going to be an issue for wherever she went. Now that she's at a place that's used to that, they know how to do that somewhat.
"Just by your program's culture, who you are and how you do things almost can guarantee you a Sweet 16 spot. Those next two weekends, it's a player, maybe two if you're lucky, who then takes over and gets you to Tuesday night [for the national title]. They haven't had that player. I think they do now."

Context! This is a positive thing he said about DD ..... If anything he was talking about North Carolina's program.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
NAN MUST BE IN RIO---OR YOU ARE A FAIR HAIRED POSTER---
I WAS TAKEN TO TASK A FEW MONTHS AGO FOR USING THE SAME TERM FOR A PLAYER.(I think it was DD). Maybe it matters if they are Freshmen or Juniors??
IT'S A TRUE STATEMENT BUT-----

Ball hog? Puhlease, when Maya played, she took the bulk of the shots because she was the best scorer and could easily get her shot. As a senior, she took 30.0% of all shots. It was Kara Lawson that said it best during the NCAA tourney. When you have players that have so much offensive abilities and the athleticism to always be able to get their shot, it's a learning process on when to take your shot and it's also not an easy thing to hold back. By comparison, I calculated Diamond's percentage of all shots taken starting with the SEC tourney, because this is when she was put in the starting line up permanently and her minutes were very high per game. She took 30.7% of the shots.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Diamond is possibly the most athletic player out there, but she has yet to show that she can consistently be a great basketball player. She needs to demonstrate a high basketball IQ and play within a team framework. And stop pouting when things don't go her way.

I'm disappointed in her quotes. Her focus is herself and not her team. Given that focus, she'll be in the pros next year, not back at Knoxville.

Her consistency will improve with her health. Through the tourneys, when she was better, but still not full strength, she shot 40% from the field. As for her quotes, I sure do remember all the haters when the Williams Sisters spoke with a never before seen type of confidence. It's put up or shut up time. When the greats find the confidence to speak up, watch out, because that type of supreme confidence typically equates to great results.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
even the argument for screams me not team.....

She wants to win titles. You don't win those alone. What's funny is when she was being recruited by Geno, she said way back then that she wanted to set records. She spoke of the things "she wanted to do." Back then though, since it was rumored she was headed to UConn, she was celebrated by many on this board and certainly wasn't chastised.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
She wants to win titles. You don't win those alone. What's funny is when she was being recruited by Geno, she said way back then that she wanted to set records. She spoke of the things "she wanted to do." Back then though, since it was rumored she was headed to UConn, she was celebrated by many on this board and certainly wasn't chastised.

All players are heroes until they aren't anymore.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Ball hog? Puhlease, when Maya played, she took the bulk of the shots because she was the best scorer and could easily get her shot. As a senior, she took 30.0% of all shots. It was Kara Lawson that said it best during the NCAA tourney. When you have players that have so much offensive abilities and the athleticism to always be able to get their shot, it's a learning process on when to take your shot and it's also not an easy thing to hold back.

A major deficiency in recent play by the USA Men's team is that Kevin Durant has averaged only 9 shots per game. Only Carmelo has been firing away.

Reaction Score

was Candace Parker recruited by UConn? my response was to a post about Candace Parker ....

Reaction Score
No question DeShields has the talent. Now that she's healthy, the question is can Warlick help her harness that talent so DeShields can become that player she says she wants to be. Stay tuned....

Reaction Score
Ball hog? Puhlease, when Maya played, she took the bulk of the shots because she was the best scorer and could easily get her shot. As a senior, she took 30.0% of all shots. It was Kara Lawson that said it best during the NCAA tourney. When you have players that have so much offensive abilities and the athleticism to always be able to get their shot, it's a learning process on when to take your shot and it's also not an easy thing to hold back. By comparison, I calculated Diamond's percentage of all shots taken starting with the SEC tourney, because this is when she was put in the starting line up permanently and her minutes were very high per game. She took 30.7% of the shots.

Any comparison of the two is an insult to Moore. Maya may have taken 30 % of the shots but her fg% was 52% and she shot 38% from 3. DeShields shot 39% of her fg's and 25% from 3. The only reason her stats look any good is because the rest of the team couldn't shoot . Moore also had almost twice as many assists, 151 to 82 for DeShields. Moore had 313 rebounds to 186 for DeShields. And for those who don't find stats very compelling, try watching some games and decide who put out more energy on the court.

Moore was a leader. DeShields is a star.

Reaction Score
Any comparison of the two is an insult to Moore. Maya may have taken 30 % of the shots but her fg% was 52% and she shot 38% from 3. DeShields shot 39% of her fg's and 25% from 3. The only reason her stats look any good is because the rest of the team couldn't shoot . Moore also had almost twice as many assists, 151 to 82 for DeShields. Moore had 313 rebounds to 186 for DeShields. And for those who don't find stats very compelling, try watching some games and decide who put out more energy on the court.

Moore was a leader. DeShields is a star.
Star is a subjective assumption for DeShields... Until she puts the entire package together... Star is a stretch...

Now Moore is a star, leader, teammate, friend, etc.... She has the entire package...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Slander or truth is in the perception of those hearing or those who own the game. I try NOT to libel anyone--it's much harder to say written worda were not printed.
Ok--so it's fair-scalped--join the increasingly large crowd.
Thankfully the law isn't based on your loose assumption of the truth. At some point we must all agree on some objective truth or else we couldn't post replies.

Reaction Score
Star is a subjective assumption for DeShields... Until she puts the entire package together... Star is a stretch...

Now Moore is a star, leader, teammate, friend, etc.... She has the entire package...

DeShields was a star in her 3rd year of HS. Stardom is a function of media attention and I agree it is mostly subjective. It has little to do with talent or performance and in the case of DeShields more a function of perceived potential.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I was just wondering when she was ever here and what she has come back from! Stop talking and play basketball with out whining and making excuses.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She was praised on this board because there is nothing wrong with having high goals and even swag. Diamond was rightly chastised for her method of achieving the goals. First she fleeced 4 other high caliber players to go to school with her then fleeced NC into renigging on the offer to players who UNC had previously committed-that is how the Day twins ended up at Syracuse and then she abandoned her committed teammates and HoF coach after 1 year. Not coming to UCONN was the best decision Diamond ever made-Not a lot of quality decisions since then.

Reaction Score
By Nov 2105 Diamond was already at TN.
Ex-UNC star DeShields transferring to Vols
Again .... Context (and comprehension)...

Auriemma said. "It was managing all the other stuff that went along with it (superstardom/hype) that was going to be an issue for wherever she went (in this case North Carolina). Now that she's at a place that's used to that (Tennesse), they know how to do that somewhat.

When the article is written is kind of immaterial since he was speaking to DD's total college experience..... I suspect this may have something to do with the JPM dustup as well, maybe

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Again .... Context (and comprehension)...

Auriemma said. "It was managing all the other stuff that went along with it (superstardom/hype) that was going to be an issue for wherever she went (in this case North Carolina). Now that she's at a place that's used to that (Tennesse), they know how to do that somewhat.

When the article is written is kind of immaterial since he was speaking to DD's total college experience..... I suspect this may have something to do with the JPM dustup as well, maybe
How this for context? Not like Geno to comment on NON UCONN players. So "contextually" how would we know this was in relation to Diamond, UNC or TN?

Reaction Score
Diamond is possibly the most athletic player out there, but she has yet to show that she can consistently be a great basketball player. She needs to demonstrate a high basketball IQ and play within a team framework. And stop pouting when things don't go her way.

I'm disappointed in her quotes. Her focus is herself and not her team. Given that focus, she'll be in the pros next year, not back at Knoxville.
She looks athletic on the court, but that is compared to the other snow-shoe footed TENN players. I compare her to Gabby Williams and I would take Gabby any day of the week. I must think there are many other players out there that have as good if not better athleticism than DD. I just didn't watch many games that didn't include UCONN or TENN so I don't know who they would be. And, I agree with every thing else you had to say about her.

Reaction Score
How this for context? Not like Geno to comment on NON UCONN players. So "contextually" how would we know this was in relation to Diamond, UNC or TN?
because the article is a November 4, 2015 interview with ...... Diamond DeShields.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom