OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Lets see, you put your opinion on a public forum and then get touchy when someone disagrees?

Well I think Staley is a horrible coach. But don't disagree with and debate that point.

Again. I could care less what you think about DeShields. I also don't care what you think about Staley. You're welcome to your opinion on both.

Nobody is getting touchy. I just don't understand why you're so adamant about changing my opinion of her. Because this is a "public forum" as you say, we're welcome to disagree. Accept that we do and move on. It's a waste of YOUR time to keep doing otherwise.

Reaction Score
The great ones usually don't need to come 'back'.....they never left.

Deshields should have went to UConn if she was interested in championships.....:)

Geno himself said she was a great player, but it's the "other stuff " that comes with Diamond that would have been a clash had she went to uconn. Not that it mattered but had Geno and co known she would have picked UNC maybe Holmes would have gotten a Uconn offer.

Reaction Score
Certainly her mouth is healthy.

"Hopefully I can get back to knowing I'm the best player on the floor as opposed to other people telling me," DeShields said. "It didn't matter what other people said when I was at North Carolina. I knew it. Last year, it was like I had to have that constant reminder in order to even step out and compete sometimes."

Me, I'm from Missouri when it comes to DD.
I've been an "on again-off again" Diamond fan. She has the ability and potential to be among the great. She's had physical issues including the time at NC.
The "mouth" is the kind of mouth Geno loves--over loaded with confidence, ala DT! However, Geno would demand that she back that up on the floor during big time games.
Look at the kid and how she impacted the N
C team--. We, as fans don't know what physical or mental issues she may have.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
No argument here just discussion...

Her highs are as high as anyone. She is one of the few players in the country (Kelsey Mitchell is another) who can truly take over a game when they are in the zone. I think she needs more consistency to be a great player.

Those games against South Carolina her freshman year she shot around 50%. That version of Diamond IS great. You just don't always get that version. Right now she is just as likely to shoot you out of a game. I think she regressed between UNC and Tenn.

I still think she got a disproportionate share of the credit for UNC's success that year (in the 2 games against SC, Diamond had 36 pts and 9 rebounds. Mavunga had 33 pts and 21 rebounds), but that's a different conversation.

She was so impressive against SC. I loved everything about her game then. I do think she has regressed but I don't think she's a lost cause either. Her regression has to be due to a multitude of issues that none of us really know the entirety of.

I just hope she can get back to that level of play because I would LOVE to see what she can do professionally.

Reaction Score
All I know is two players in WCBB last year really elevated on their jump shots; Courtney Williams and Diamond DeShields.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Again. I could care less what you think about DeShields. I also don't care what you think about Staley. You're welcome to your opinion on both.

Nobody is getting touchy. I just don't understand why you're so adamant about changing my opinion of her. Because this is a "public forum" as you say, we're welcome to disagree. Accept that we do and move on. It's a waste of YOUR time to keep doing otherwise.

That's the second time you have made that point. Ok for you to go on and not move on, but others should? For someone who professes not to care, you do seem to be quite adamant about not caring.

I said she was capable of being a great player.

Reaction Score

Sometimes I feel like you and don't want to be confused by the facts. Statistics are just a bunch of numbers people throw around when they want to make a point or comparison. I don't need no stinking statistics.

Reaction Score
By what measure do you consider Diamond "a GREAT CBB player" ?
I have played with players that were "full of themselves" and let us all know who great they thought they were. It does not make for a great teammate--unless the off court is matched by the on court, even then he found it difficult to get a pass every now an then.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Last year she shot 39.1% overall and 24.8% from 3. She also had 33 more turnovers than assists. Those aren't the numbers of one of the best players in the country.
At UNC she shot 42% overall and 27% from 3 & lead UNC in TO by a wide margin and attempted 220 more shots than any other teammate.

Reaction Score
It would also help if she had better shot selection, wasn't such a ball hog and learned to move without the ball. Also, how about staying in front of your man on defense?

NAN MUST BE IN RIO---OR YOU ARE A FAIR HAIRED POSTER---
I WAS TAKEN TO TASK A FEW MONTHS AGO FOR USING THE SAME TERM FOR A PLAYER.(I think it was DD). Maybe it matters if they are Freshmen or Juniors??
IT'S A TRUE STATEMENT BUT-----

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
All I know is two players in WCBB last year really elevated on their jump shots; Courtney Williams and Diamond DeShields.

Aren't they really good friends? I remember reading somewhere that Williams really helped DeShields with her shot..

Williams was one of my favorite guards last year.. DeShields could learn a bit from her, especially the way Williams controls the game and never lets it get away from her.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
At UNC she shot 42% overall and 27% from 3 & lead UNC in TO by a wide margin and attempted 220 more shots than any other teammate.

Yep, a/to ratio and 3-pt shooting are a consistent problem for her. 42% is not bad for a high-usage guard but I question whether she needed to shoot so much when she had Mavunga, McDaniel, and Gray on her team.

She's a guard who is neither a great shooter nor a great passer. She's good attacking the basket but Tennessee has no shooters to space the floor for her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've been an "on again-off again" Diamond fan. She has the ability and potential to be among the great. She's had physical issues including the time at NC.
The "mouth" is the kind of mouth Geno loves--over loaded with confidence, ala DT! However, Geno would demand that she back that up on the floor during big time games.
Look at the kid and how she impacted the N
C team--. We, as fans don't know what physical or mental issues she may have.

DT never had this kid's mouth. She was an impact player - with plenty of freshman thrown in -at UNC. That's it. Last year was pretty hideous. She can talk it, but can she walk it? Time will tell. If I' a WNBA GM/Coach absent a spectacular,sustained change I would not risk a first round pick or my locker room on her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
NAN MUST BE IN RIO---OR YOU ARE A FAIR HAIRED POSTER---
I WAS TAKEN TO TASK A FEW MONTHS AGO FOR USING THE SAME TERM FOR A PLAYER.(I think it was DD). Maybe it matters if they are Freshmen or Juniors??
IT'S A TRUE STATEMENT BUT-----
Well, the ultimate defense against slander is the truth, censured or not. And I'd thank you to know my hair went down the drain years ago.

Reaction Score
have to say that Diamond is a very talented player...that being said i firmly believe that great players never have to talk about themselves because someone else is always talking about them...other than her freshman year she has been up and down...think there is no question as to her ability but rather her heart and desire...can't see her making comments like that if Pat were the coach...Lady Vols would be much better served by developing team unity than worrying about POY awards...curious what Boneyard would say if KLS had made those statements....just a thought or two

Reaction Score
Well, the ultimate defense against slander is the truth, censured or not. And I'd thank you to know my hair went down the drain years ago.
Slander or truth is in the perception of those hearing or those who own the game. I try NOT to libel anyone--it's much harder to say written worda were not printed.
Ok--so it's fair-scalped--join the increasingly large crowd.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Diamond is possibly the most athletic player out there, but she has yet to show that she can consistently be a great basketball player. She needs to demonstrate a high basketball IQ and play within a team framework. And stop pouting when things don't go her way.

I'm disappointed in her quotes. Her focus is herself and not her team. Given that focus, she'll be in the pros next year, not back at Knoxville.

Reaction Score
2017 is largely expected to be a weak WNBA draft class. Scaife-Rutgers, McCall-Stanford, Jessica Jackson-Arkansas, & Coates-South Carolina, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough-MD are some of the names in contention for the top spots. IMO diamond would be doing herself a favor because she would stand taller in this draft than competing with Turner and Wilson a year later.
I think it would put the article in a different perspective if you think of this as a "contract" year for DD

Reaction Score
Geno himself said she was a great player, but it's the "other stuff " that comes with Diamond that would have been a clash had she went to uconn. Not that it mattered but had Geno and co known she would have picked UNC maybe Holmes would have gotten a Uconn offer.
say what? your first sentence: Geno did say she was a great player but the second part of that implies that Geno also commented on her having "other stuff" ..... is that true, I love to hear that proof........

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You can argue she's not with stats and facts. Sure.. but it would be futile, for me at least.
Yea, it's like that with some people. "Facts, truths, reality? Mean nothing to me, I have my own warped opinions. "

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Yea, it's like that with some people. "Facts, truths, reality? Mean nothing to me, I have my own warped opinions. "

You're so predictable. Hello to you too.

Reaction Score
Diamond is possibly the most athletic player out there, but she has yet to show that she can consistently be a great basketball player. She needs to demonstrate a high basketball IQ and play within a team framework. And stop pouting when things don't go her way.

I'm disappointed in her quotes. Her focus is herself and not her team. Given that focus, she'll be in the pros next year, not back at Knoxville.

Here are two athletic players, DD and Gabby...... you are a WNBA GM, so potential vs portential who would you draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom