OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Diamond DeShields is Back!!!..[edit] but the Brooklyn Dodgers aren't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
"I definitely want to be player of the yearSEC and national player of the year," DeShields said. "Whatever player of the year honors there are to get, I want it all. I want to make a defensive team. I never really got a defensive award, and I'm going to try to do that this year."

Gag me :eek::eek::eek::eek:

*A'ja Wilson smiles all the way from Columbia, SC*

Seriously though, I've always liked DeShields and I still think she's one of the best players in the country... with that said, if she really wants the SEC honors then she better REALLY want it because right now the reigning recipient of both SEC POTY and DPOTY currently reside in Columbia, SC and I don't think she's planning on having a "down" year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Are you comparing Parker's skills to DD's? Because, I personally don't see any similarities. But I didn't see Parker at TENN that much... only when they played UCONN.
No I was not. I will say both are great athletes. I think Diamond skill set is more Holdsclaw than Parker.

Reaction Score
upload_2016-8-16_8-35-1.png

Best of luck this year DD, I'm rooting for you!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
This will be Diamond's 4th year in college....and she will have one year of athletic eligibility
after the year is over.

Anyone have a sense of whether she will return for her fifth year or turn pro?
I would think she would be a very high draft pick in the WNBA...just on potential if nothing else....and would
make some serious money playing overseas.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This will be Diamond's 4th year in college....and she will have one year of athletic eligibility
after the year is over.

Anyone have a sense of whether she will return for her fifth year or turn pro?
I would think she would be a very high draft pick in the WNBA...just on potential if nothing else....and would
make some serious money playing overseas.
2017 is largely expected to be a weak WNBA draft class. Scaife-Rutgers, McCall-Stanford, Jessica Jackson-Arkansas, & Coates-South Carolina, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough-MD are some of the names in contention for the top spots. IMO diamond would be doing herself a favor because she would stand taller in this draft than competing with Turner and Wilson a year later.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
2017 is largely expected to be a weak WNBA draft class. Scaife-Rutgers, McCall-Stanford, Jessica Jackson-Arkansas, & Coates-South Carolina, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough-MD are some of the names in contention for the top spots. IMO diamond would be doing herself a favor because she would stand taller in this draft than competing with Turner and Wilson a year later.
I see no reason for her to stay. I think ESPNW had her going #1 overall if she leaves after this year which could very well happen. I'm sure there are WNBA coaches that look at her and think "my what untapped potential". I guess the real question is, is she coachable? I really don't know. Based on Tennessee last year I'm not really sure you can use that year as an example of anything for the players given the coaching seemed a bit off. The SEC has what 3 players that were #1 overall in their class right? Wilson, DeShields, & Russell. I agree with you. DeShields should definitely go... Russell probably should too but 'm not even sure she will be WNBA ready she may need the extra year.

Reaction Score
Put me in the greater (rather than lesser) sympathy group for DD. I think she's a somewhat mixed up young person, but the pressures of being an elite high school player, especially one in an athletic family, can distort reality. If dozens of colleges are trying to recruit you, while your classmates are just hoping to get into their "safe schools," it's entirely possible to develop an inflated sense of self.

Geno often talks about the entertainment value of basketball. This makes many of us uncomfortable, because we like to think of it (and especially of Geno's own contributions!) as a purist sport. But, to the extent that it is entertainment, DD definitely entertains. If she fills a few additional seats or increases TV watching in the WNBA--and she is charismatic and so likely to--she is doing her job.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Please don't go there! It is a travesty to the sport that Candace Parker is not representing her country.
My heavens GIVE IT A REST PEOPLE... they will win gold just like they were suppose to. It's the committee & Geno & coaching staffs job to come home with a Gold. Not give a crap about anyone's feelings. This is the Olympics not a 5 year old birthday party, sorry you didn't get invited. Geno and most of the the current UConn players likely won't be on the Olympic team next go around and you can clone Parker and she can play all 5 positions.

Back to the subject at hand... Diamond is back... great for her, great for Tennessee, now lets see what Holly can do with a healthy Diamond.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that she has the ability. To be one of the top five players. If she can stay healthy this year. I see her as being not just a player with great athletic ability. A player learning more about how to play better. Also to train more and take better care of her body. It could be what makes her a great player.

Subsuming her ego in team basketball, sharing the ball, playing w/in a system, respecting her coach (if possible), would all help. Can't be a diamond in the rough forever.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
*A'ja Wilson smiles all the way from Columbia, SC*

Seriously though, I've always liked DeShields and I still think she's one of the best players in the country...

I think she has as much potential as anyone in the country. Last year she shot 39.1% overall and 24.8% from 3. She also had 33 more turnovers than assists. Those aren't the numbers of one of the best players in the country.

It's almost like no matter how poorly she plays people will still call her a great player because of her talent, reputation, and family name.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think she has as much potential as anyone in the country. Last year she shot 39.1% overall and 24.8% from 3. She also had 33 more turnovers than assists. Those aren't the numbers of one of the best players in the country.

It's almost like no matter how poorly she plays people will still call her a great player because of her talent, reputation, and family name.

Nothing to do with her family name. I could care less about that... I've already seen what DeShields can do, she did it TWICE to SC her freshmen year. I don't think there are many people capable of doing what she's capable of doing...... You don't have to agree.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Nothing to do with her family name. I could care less about that... I've already seen what DeShields can do, she did it TWICE to SC her freshmen year. I don't think there are many people capable of doing what she's capable of doing. You don't have to agree.

There's that capable word again. Is she a great player because of what she is capable of doing, or what she did?

I agree she is capable of being a great player.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
There's that capable word again. Is she a great player because of what she is capable of doing, or what she did?

I agree she is capable of being a great player.

It's too early in the day for this. Where exactly are you going with this? There's really no need to debate my opinion. You're welcome to have your own opinion about DeShields. I wasn't trying to change anybody's opinion of her.

In my original post I said "she's one of the best players in the country" because from what I've seen with my own eyes/IN PERSON.. she is. You can argue she's not with stats and facts. Sure.. but it would be futile, for me at least.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Ask not for what your country can do for you.... Well I mean did she say what she could do for her team or herself, and will Holly get the blame for her not doing for herself and the team?

Reaction Score
The great ones usually don't need to come 'back'.....they never left.

Deshields should have went to UConn if she was interested in championships.....:)

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
It's too early in the day for this. Where exactly are you going with this? There's really no need to debate my opinion.

Lets see, you put your opinion on a public forum and then get touchy when someone disagrees?

Well I think Staley is a horrible coach. But don't disagree with and debate that point.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Nothing to do with her family name. I could care less about that... I've already seen what DeShields can do, she did it TWICE to SC her freshmen year. I don't think there are many people capable of doing what she's capable of doing. You don't have to agree.

No argument here just discussion...

Her highs are as high as anyone. She is one of the few players in the country (Kelsey Mitchell is another) who can truly take over a game when they are in the zone. I think she needs more consistency to be a great player.

Those games against South Carolina her freshman year she shot around 50%. That version of Diamond IS great. You just don't always get that version. Right now she is just as likely to shoot you out of a game. I think she regressed between UNC and Tenn.

I still think she got a disproportionate share of the credit for UNC's success that year (in the 2 games against SC, Diamond had 36 pts and 9 rebounds. Mavunga had 33 pts and 21 rebounds), but that's a different conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom