OT: Chances of Hartford getting MLS team? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Chances of Hartford getting MLS team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It would be nice to have less Boston College fans on this board and more fans of teams we actually play.

We have a few BC fans who contribute here that are good. But this child, with all of his/her 15 total posts, needs to spend some time in okielite romper room.

Reaction Score
We have a few BC fans who contribute here that are good. But this child, with all of his/her 15 total posts, needs to spend some time in okielite romper room.

I thought I was ignored? And why is that the only reply you geniuses can come up with when someone disagrees with you is: BC fan. How exactly does a differing opinion on soccer automatically make me a BC fan.

You really need something new because I am not now or have I ever been a BC fan. I'm a life long TCU fan which you might have gathered from the name but I guess that was expecting too much.

Also I'm still waiting for one of you geniuses, not you Dooley since I'm ignored, to actually logically dispute my original post.Hint: this means something other than BC fan. I know it will be difficult but try.

Reaction Score
I love the World Cup. But a close second is the number of morons who run around for 4 weeks showing how much they care about soccer by constantly hijacking threads about to soccer to try and convince us nobody cares about soccer.

In other news the daytime ratings for games not involving the USA beat the prime time NHL playoffs involving two major maker teams, LA and NYC.

Reaction Score
Don't forget socccer coaching great Tony DiCicco is from Connecticut and would be a good choice for a local team. He coached the Womens World Cup winning team with Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy and Brandi Chastain.

And also coached my club team for 3 years!

Reaction Score
I love the World Cup. But a close second is the number of morons who run around for 4 weeks showing how much they care about soccer by constantly hijacking threads about to soccer to try and convince us nobody cares about soccer.

In other news the daytime ratings for games not involving the USA beat the prime time NHL playoffs involving two major maker teams, LA and NYC.

I wasn't trying to "convince" you or anyone else that nobody cares about soccer. My point, which you obviously missed, was that the same thing happens every four years and has been forever. Everyone gets into the World Cup, gets excited about soccer, talks about how it's the next big thing, and nothing happens.

Obviously people care and are passionate about it. I certainly wasn't suggesting people shouldn't or didn't watch I just don't ever see a carryover. People get fired up for one month every 4 years then (American) football season starts and it's over.

Reaction Score
ESPN's top TV markets for US-Ghana: 1. DC; 2. NYC; 3. Hartford; 4. Boston.; 5. Columbus; 6. Balt; 7. Prov.; 8. Orlando; 9. SF; 10.Norfolk.

I'm surprised Buffalo isn't there. Buffalo was second highest market for the UEFA Champions League. There are soccer specific bars here. They closed down a four lane road this week because they knew the soccer crowd at one bar, Mes Que, was going to spill out way into the street because of the giant TVs on the sidewalk.

Reaction Score
From a player development perspective, the instruction college soccer is not good at all. Klinsmann has made critical comments about the quality of play, instruction, training, etc in the NCAA, and even before his stint the US Soccer national development concentrated on having our youth propsects target professional contracts with MLS or Europe. I'm sure if a 14 year old kid with tons of talent were scouted by the national team they would be told to only go to college if they were intent on getting the degree and were willing to give up on the opportunity to train and compete at elite club academies in Germany/Italy/England/Holland. And they'd be told that going the college route would put them at some disadvantage when competing for open spots on the USMNT.

The US development academy, and MLS, are still going about it all wrong. They've put a ton of money into getting youth teams enrolled is US Soccer bankrolled programs, and to amp up the level of instruction, with each MLS team bankrolling several regional soccer clubs which are supposed to be at the highest level, but they are charging so much for such instruction that all they've managed to do is up the level of suburbanite soccer, largely ignoring the immigrant/inner city population. Again.

Reaction Score
I wasn't trying to "convince" you or anyone else that nobody cares about soccer. My point, which you obviously missed, was that the same thing happens every four years and has been forever. Everyone gets into the World Cup, gets excited about soccer, talks about how it's the next big thing, and nothing happens.

Obviously people care and are passionate about it. I certainly wasn't suggesting people shouldn't or didn't watch I just don't ever see a carryover. People get fired up for one month every 4 years then (American) football season starts and it's over.

I must have missed the post where someone said soccer was going to replace American football.

If arguing against something that nobody ever said means you win then congrats. You can collect your trophy at www.effoff.com

Reaction Score
I must have missed the post where someone said soccer was going to replace American football.

If arguing against something that nobody ever said means you win then congrats. You can collect your trophy at www.effoff.com

It wouldn't be the first thing you missed. I'm sure it happens a lot.

Reaction Score
My original post had absolutely nothing to do with soccer replacing football. I was simply pointing out that every four years people who ordinarily don't pay any attention to soccer become big fans with many proclaiming that it will be the next big thing. I simply posted that this same thing has been going on for at least 40 years and it has to happen.

Look I was at several of the Cosmo games of the late '70's including Pele's last game where he played a half for the Cosmos and a half for Brazil (there was a girl involved otherwise I would have been almost anywhere else). All anyone talked about then was the "soccer revolution" in the U.S. Youth soccer numbers went through the roof. Other than World Cup ratings I haven't seen the results have you?

I hear that it will become the safe "alternative" to football so posted true concussion comments that dispute the actual safety of soccer and was met with the standard "you must be a BC fan" response.

Look if you enjoy soccer great. My 23 year old son who played hockey and lacrosse in high school and lacrosse in college is totally into it. I don't ever tell anyone what they should watch or like but 40 plus years is a long time to wait for the "next big thing"

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Is NASL the league that's like the Minor League branch of MLS? Or are they completely separate. I may be mistaking them with USL? I really wish they'd institute some kind of relegation system like the rest of the world has. I know it's years away because there's just enough interest at the MLS level to fill stadiums so filling them for lower level teams is tough in most places (yes I know there are are some USL teams that pack the place). It would just be nice to see us finally accept that soccer is not like the rest of our pro leagues and can actually be run like every other countries league system that promotes and relegates certain teams. I can't think of another league in the world that has divisions like MLS does....or playoffs for that matter!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You really need something new because I am not now or have I ever been a BC fan. I'm a life long TCU fan which you might have gathered from the name but I guess that was expecting too much.
Just out of curiousity, where would anyone figure out that you're a TCU fan with a name like bc puckett?? To me, that name sounds like one of a BC Hockey fan. Not saying you are, just letting you know why people called you a bc fan....

Reaction Score
It actually does, this league and its structure predates even MLS. The players play for peanuts. They basically draw minor league baseball type crowds. The teams in Rochester and Richmond are actually really popular. I think FOX has shown an ASL game of the week for a while now.

EDIT: Never mind, this is a new league. I was confusing it with the United Soccer League which is the established league.

Rochester does well from what I have heard and they have a really nice stadium. Rochester overall has some really nice minor league facilities (baseball, hockey and soccer); but, many are worried how long it will last due to Kodak, Xerox and others leaving town and taking the money with them.

Reaction Score
We go through this every 4 years. Soccer is the next big thing!!! Look at the Ratings!!! Mommy won't let little Johnny play football!!!. I've been hearing this for almost 50 years. I remember back in the late '70s when the Cosmos were getting 78,000 plus for regular season NASL games that this was it here comes soccer!! There's more kids playing soccer than little league!!! Really. Where the hell are they?

Well here we are all these years later and what? Same crap. Every gets there panties in a bunch because the U.S.A can finally beat some third world African country and doing it with a roster half full of dual-citizens. Yipee!!

You of course realize that there are nearly as many concussions in soccer as there are in football. Taylor Twellman being a prime example being forced to retire at 28 due to multiple concussions. Also one of the keynote speakers at President Obama's concussion symposium was a young lady who had to stop playing soccer in high school due to concussion history.

Sorry but a sport where you play 90 minutes with nets the size of Nebraska and nobody scores will never be more than a once every four year curiosity, at best, for most of the country.

Also NCAA soccers apears regularly on both the B1G network and CBSSN along with the tournament on some form of ESPN.

The US/Ghana match drew a 6.3 rating/11 million viewers at 6 PM (3 PM on the West coast likely pulled the numbers down). That gets advertising attention. And, it's the first match. If the US can make a run into to the quarterfinals, the numbers maybe very impressive.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiousity, where would anyone figure out that you're a TCU fan with a name like bc puckett?? To me, that name sounds like one of a BC Hockey fan. Not saying you are, just letting you know why people called you a bc fan....

Dan Jenkins: Semi-Tough. Good read Highly recomended

Dooley

Reaction Score
The US/Ghana match drew a 6.3 rating/11 million viewers at 6 PM (3 PM on the West coast likely pulled the numbers down). That gets advertising attention. And, it's the first match. If the US can make a run into to the quarterfinals, the numbers maybe very impressive.

Agreed. The next two games should draw very good ratings since the U.S. is playing against tougher competition. Not to mention, one of the world's best players. Even the non-U.S. games are drawing excellent ratings.

Reaction Score
Rochester does well from what I have heard and they have a really nice stadium. Rochester overall has some really nice minor league facilities (baseball, hockey and soccer); but, many are worried how long it will last due to Kodak, Xerox and others leaving town and taking the money with them.
Rochester blew their chance. They took too long. They could have been the Green Bay Packers of MLS. But Rochester seems to be finding new ways to reinvent it's economy. This article is from two years ago.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/mone...12-01-14/cnbc-kodak-small-business/52518528/1

If Rochester can't get a team, I don't see Hartford getting one soon. There's NYC FC starting next year, too. There goes a huge chunk of Fairfield County. Large markets is the name of the game in upper-tier spectator sports. Thus, the rise of football at UConn, UCF, USF, UTSA, ODU, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'm sure they will. They always are. My point was that the continuing interest is never there

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Plus another 4+ million on Univision.

In NY it got a higher rating than any game of the NHL or NBA finals.

USMNT to the Big 10.

Reaction Score
I know it's the standard UConn response but I'm nowhere near Chestnut Hill. All I did was post facts, including concussion info, about soccer in this country over the last 45 plus years and all the little Huskies have to get their balls in a knot.

I agree that concussions are a concern in soccer. That is a documented fact. but, you provided no facts that soccer is useless in the US. If the TV ratings for the US/Ghana match were 6.2 and BC football's TV average ratings for football in 2013 was a 1.2m what\ does that make BC football? And yes, UConn's ratings were worse, 0.6; but that was still better that several P-5 teams (Cal, Iowa St, Kansas, Maryland, Rutgers, Utah, Virginia, Wake).

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out why this old @$$ bag is still here. To repeatedly point out that something that was never said by anyone here is patently false?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sure they will. They always are. My point was that the continuing interest is never there

You must have missed the past few years where the EPL has exploded in popularity here.

You were right for a long time but the popularity is catching up to the hype.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Plus another 4+ million on Univision.

In NY it got a higher rating than any game of the NHL or NBA finals.

USMNT to the Big 10.

Right after Cincinnati and UCF to the B12. USMNT and The Belmont Stakes to the B1G.

Reaction Score
The US development academy, and MLS, are still going about it all wrong. They've put a ton of money into getting youth teams enrolled is US Soccer bankrolled programs, and to amp up the level of instruction, with each MLS team bankrolling several regional soccer clubs which are supposed to be at the highest level, but they are charging so much for such instruction that all they've managed to do is up the level of suburbanite soccer, largely ignoring the immigrant/inner city population. Again.

That is very true and I know many suburbanite parents who have been priced out (especially when the child plays multiple sports or the family has multiple children in sports). Plus, throw in the new rule prohibiting HS club players from playing on their HS team, and a lot of folks have been turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom