OT: Chances of Hartford getting MLS team? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Chances of Hartford getting MLS team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From a player development perspective, the instruction college soccer is not good at all. Klinsmann has made critical comments about the quality of play, instruction, training, etc in the NCAA, and even before his stint the US Soccer national development concentrated on having our youth propsects target professional contracts with MLS or Europe. I'm sure if a 14 year old kid with tons of talent were scouted by the national team they would be told to only go to college if they were intent on getting the degree and were willing to give up on the opportunity to train and compete at elite club academies in Germany/Italy/England/Holland. And they'd be told that going the college route would put them at some disadvantage when competing for open spots on the USMNT.

Exactly, and you stated it in a polite way. I think college soccer might even have different rules. And the limitations set forth by classes and the number of games doesn't help in development either.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
From a player development perspective, the instruction college soccer is not good at all. Klinsmann has made critical comments about the quality of play, instruction, training, etc in the NCAA, and even before his stint the US Soccer national development concentrated on having our youth propsects target professional contracts with MLS or Europe. I'm sure if a 14 year old kid with tons of talent were scouted by the national team they would be told to only go to college if they were intent on getting the degree and were willing to give up on the opportunity to train and compete at elite club academies in Germany/Italy/England/Holland. And they'd be told that going the college route would put them at some disadvantage when competing for open spots on the USMNT.

I would rather see our soccer develop away from the inane constraints set forth by the NCAA. We have a professional soccer system that already emulates what you see in other countries with MLS, the NASL and the USL respectively. Looks like the ASL wants to be a Division III league. It just has greater potential for our players to develop through their league matches, participation in the US Open Cup, CONCACAF Champions League etc.

Thanks guys. I see your points. The talent wouldn't be what we're seeing on a World Cup (or club league) level. I'm just curious if NCAA soccer, albeit watered down from professional grade soccer, would ever increase in popularity...enough to air an occasional game on the B1G Network, for example. One of UCONN's hidden gems is watching a game at Marrone Stadium. Usually a good crowd and great atmosphere. I wonder if that would ever translate into something bigger on a NCAA-wide level. Or maybe a conference -specific level. I know the talent wouldn't be there but I'd equate it to NCAA Hockey. Most kids who aspire to play professionally play Junior hockey levels, not all go to college (although that is shifting some here in the States).

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think it was even cooler that the US Women's Team was watching the game in Hartford. I know they're here for the game against France on the 19th but it was really cool when they went to shots of them watching them game from what looked like the Residence Inn by City Steam and said Hartford a few times. Was half tempted to go find them! :cool:

I think soccer could definitely grow here. Play off of the Hispanic communities in Hartford and the middle/upper class families in the surrounding towns like West Hartford, Glastonbury, Farmington, etc...there would be plenty of interest if marketed correctly. However, I agree that nay stadium built would need to be within walking distance of some kind of entertainment or downtown district. Being able to go to a bar/restaurant and walk to the game would be amazing.

Reaction Score
I think it was even cooler that the US Women's Team was watching the game in Hartford. I know they're here for the game against France on the 19th but it was really cool when they went to shots of them watching them game from what looked like the Residence Inn by City Steam and said Hartford a few times. Was half tempted to go find them! :cool:

I think soccer could definitely grow here. Play off of the Hispanic communities in Hartford and the middle/upper class families in the surrounding towns like West Hartford, Glastonbury, Farmington, etc...there would be plenty of interest if marketed correctly. However, I agree that nay stadium built would need to be within walking distance of some kind of entertainment or downtown district. Being able to go to a bar/restaurant and walk to the game would be amazing.

Wish we could have done something like that for the Rent too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Rock Cats should stay in New Britain as CT taxpayers shouldn't be used by yet another owner who wants the state to foot a bill for his new stadium.

Put the money into the Civic Center and expand The Rent by 10,000 seats.

Good thing the state isn't paying.

Reaction Score
Don't forget socccer coaching great Tony DiCicco is from Connecticut and would be a good choice for a local team. He coached the Womens World Cup winning team with Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy and Brandi Chastain.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I think Hartford has a chance (eventually). There is currently a RFP out to turn Dillon Stadium into a NASL site and my understanding is there is some interest both from owners and NASL in getting a team in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Won't happen until a Hartford NASL or USL Pro team averages 10,000 fans regularly. MLS has bigger markets they want to expand to.

Reaction Score
I get your point. Similar to the NBA vs College Hoops debate. But even if they decided to go this route, there could be an upswing in college soccer popularity. If more and more parents won't allow their kids to play football (like many already don't anyway), then we could see a rise in popularity. Granted, it would take a LONG time to get anywhere near the popularity of football or basketball. But if TV ratings and fan zones are any measure (and the English Premier League ratings on NBC), then it might not be long before these P5 conference network deals begin to air a few soccer games. UCONN has a top soccer program. Just sayin'.

We go through this every 4 years. Soccer is the next big thing!!! Look at the Ratings!!! Mommy won't let little Johnny play football!!!. I've been hearing this for almost 50 years. I remember back in the late '70s when the Cosmos were getting 78,000 plus for regular season NASL games that this was it here comes soccer!! There's more kids playing soccer than little league!!! Really. Where the hell are they?

Well here we are all these years later and what? Same crap. Every gets there panties in a bunch because the U.S.A can finally beat some third world African country and doing it with a roster half full of dual-citizens. Yipee!!

You of course realize that there are nearly as many concussions in soccer as there are in football. Taylor Twellman being a prime example being forced to retire at 28 due to multiple concussions. Also one of the keynote speakers at President Obama's concussion symposium was a young lady who had to stop playing soccer in high school due to concussion history.

Sorry but a sport where you play 90 minutes with nets the size of Nebraska and nobody scores will never be more than a once every four year curiosity, at best, for most of the country.

Also NCAA soccers apears regularly on both the B1G network and CBSSN along with the tournament on some form of ESPN.

Reaction Score
We go through this every 4 years. Soccer is the next big thing!!! Look at the Ratings!!! Mommy won't let little Johnny play football!!!. I've been hearing this for almost 50 years. I remember back in the late '70s when the Cosmos were getting 78,000 plus for regular season NASL games that this was it here comes soccer!! There's more kids playing soccer than little league!!! Really. Where the hell are they?

Well here we are all these years later and what? Same crap. Every gets there panties in a bunch because the U.S.A can finally beat some third world African country and doing it with a roster half full of dual-citizens. Yipee!!

You of course realize that there are nearly as many concussions in soccer as there are in football. Taylor Twellman being a prime example being forced to retire at 28 due to multiple concussions. Also one of the keynote speakers at President Obama's concussion symposium was a young lady who had to stop playing soccer in high school due to concussion history.

Sorry but a sport where you play 90 minutes with nets the size of Nebraska and nobody scores will never be more than a once every four year curiosity, at best, for most of the country.

Also NCAA soccers apears regularly on both the B1G network and CBSSN along with the tournament on some form of ESPN.

Clearly you haven't been paying attention. Do you also still think that smoking is healthy?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

If you can't differentiate the current MLS from the 70's NASL then you are clearly in the deep-end here without any floaties.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Well, thanks for that. I'll be sure to cancel your "Welcome to Ghana" travel package.

Reaction Score
Did you stop beating your wife?

That makes no sense. Do you have any clue as to how popular soccer is with young males, particular ones with actual bank accounts and vote with their wallets?

Your post is awesome because it shows how truly out of touch some people are, even with the internet. You couldn't ind a clue if one was shoved right up your butt.

You get a yellow card.

Reaction Score
If you can't differentiate the current MLS from the 70's NASL then you are clearly in the deep-end here without any floaties.

LOL. Maybe he should go teach his kids how to smoke or something.

It's almost like he said: "people will never bother using seat belts".

Reaction Score
That makes no sense. Do you have any clue as to how popular soccer is with young males, particular ones with actual bank accounts and vote with their wallets?

Your post is awesome because it shows how truly out of touch some people are, even with the internet. You couldn't ind a clue if one was shoved right up your butt.

You get a yellow card.

Just as popular as it was 4o years ago and where is it today?

Reaction Score
Just as popular as it was 4o years ago and where is it today?

I don't know what you bozos in Chestnut Hill have been hearing, but lead paint is bad for you. Just say no.

Reaction Score
I don't know what you bozos in Chestnut Hill have been hearing, but lead paint is bad for you. Just say no.

I know it's the standard UConn response but I'm nowhere near Chestnut Hill. All I did was post facts, including concussion info, about soccer in this country over the last 45 plus years and all the little Huskies have to get their balls in a knot.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
It would be nice to have less Boston College fans on this board and more fans of teams we actually play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom