OT: Chances of Hartford getting MLS team? | The Boneyard

OT: Chances of Hartford getting MLS team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is Hartford getting a MLS team a possibility? We already have a great stadium for them. The fan support is there as indicated in the ratings for the World Cup (Hartford is one of the highest ranked cities). Does Bob Kraft really have so much pull that the MLS won’t allow another team in his “territory”? If so, what are the chances of the Revolution moving? I have no idea how they do attendance-wise compared to other MLS teams.

APA

Reaction Score
They draw about 15K which is about average for the league. As is posted above, zero point zero.

Reaction Score
Not the MLS but:

The American Soccer League (ASL) is delighted to announce that the New England Force have joined the league.

“We are extremely excited to be adding another strong team to the League. The New England Force has taken its time over the past couple of years to build upon its exhibition season by adding several new and exciting prospects to their squad. This will make them a commendable force in our inaugural season. With high-level games already under their belt (having played against MLS, USL and foreign competition) the NE Force, in my opinion, will be an early front runner for the regular season championship!” ASL Founder/CEO Matt Driver, stated.

Founded in 2012 and playing out of Stamford Connecticut in a Stadium that holds over 5,200 fans, the New England Force has been operating for the past two years. In its 2013 exhibition season the team had several strong showings and they will be looking to build on their success in the inaugural season ahead.

The Force’s General Manager, Bob Levin, who is equalled excited about the prosepct of competing in the ASL, explained: “Joining the ASL presents a great opportunity for the Force as we hope to make this a long term relationship that will eventually benefit the league, our team, and above all else Stamford and the surrounding Connecticut communities. Whilst our goal is to put together a quality team that can compete for the League Title, we also hope to bring a high level of entertaining professional soccer to the ASL and to Connecticut. Furthermore, being the ONLY Professional soccer team in Connecticut we hope to grab any and all of the talented local Players that we can that come out of this great State!”

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
All the MLS expansion teams have had three things - a committed ownership group, a soccer specific stadium plan (~20k capacity), and a demonstrated record of support of lower level (NASL, USL) teams. Hartford has none of these.

(However this didn't stop HFD from blasting UConn and the state for being clowns for not selling a 40,000 (read: too big for MLS) Rentschler field to a nonexistent MLS team. )

Reaction Score
Our stadium is too big. These stadiums do really well when they are situated within Commercial/Residential/Entertainment districts, such as the setup in KC. Sporting KC's stadium is probably the coolest stadium I have ever been in, and it's next to the NASCAR track, a minor league baseball park, a huge outdoor mall that also has one of those Nebraska Furniture Marts and a jumbo size Cabela's. People who attend games commonly walk over to the stadium after having dinner at one of the restaurants over there.

Reaction Score
Not the MLS but:

The American Soccer League (ASL) is delighted to announce that the New England Force have joined the league.

“We are extremely excited to be adding another strong team to the League. The New England Force has taken its time over the past couple of years to build upon its exhibition season by adding several new and exciting prospects to their squad. This will make them a commendable force in our inaugural season. With high-level games already under their belt (having played against MLS, USL and foreign competition) the NE Force, in my opinion, will be an early front runner for the regular season championship!” ASL Founder/CEO Matt Driver, stated.

Founded in 2012 and playing out of Stamford Connecticut in a Stadium that holds over 5,200 fans, the New England Force has been operating for the past two years. In its 2013 exhibition season the team had several strong showings and they will be looking to build on their success in the inaugural season ahead.

The Force’s General Manager, Bob Levin, who is equalled excited about the prosepct of competing in the ASL, explained: “Joining the ASL presents a great opportunity for the Force as we hope to make this a long term relationship that will eventually benefit the league, our team, and above all else Stamford and the surrounding Connecticut communities. Whilst our goal is to put together a quality team that can compete for the League Title, we also hope to bring a high level of entertaining professional soccer to the ASL and to Connecticut. Furthermore, being the ONLY Professional soccer team in Connecticut we hope to grab any and all of the talented local Players that we can that come out of this great State!”

Honest question: Where does the funding for this league come from? I can't imagine that it turns a profit. Does some millionaire just have money to burn?

Reaction Score
Honest question: Where does the funding for this league come from? I can't imagine that it turns a profit. Does some millionaire just have money to burn?

It actually does, this league and its structure predates even MLS. The players play for peanuts. They basically draw minor league baseball type crowds. The teams in Rochester and Richmond are actually really popular. I think FOX has shown an ASL game of the week for a while now.

EDIT: Never mind, this is a new league. I was confusing it with the United Soccer League which is the established league.

Reaction Score
(However this didn't stop HFD from blasting UConn and the state for being clowns for not selling a 40,000 (read: too big for MLS) Rentschler field to a nonexistent MLS team. )
If I remember correctly didn't he also say that they should sell the site to NASCAR to build a track there?

Reaction Score
Hartford is getting NASL for Dillon Stadium, that's the first step toward the goal of MLS. The other big question looming over our chances is our long time buddy Robert Kraft, I believe he has final say on a team in Hartford. Our only saving grace would be if the Revs moved to a stadium in Revere or closer to Boston, which is what's been rumored. If that happens Kraft will forgo his territorial rights, opening up our chances.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did they rebuild Dillon? Last time I was there it was a dump.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I was actually going to start a thread about UCONN soccer (and NCAA soccer in general), but I'll post it here instead for now. Soccer definitely seems to have gained tons of popularity in the States as seen by TV ratings and these fan zones with thousands of people watching games on big screens in numerous cities. When does the popularity of soccer shift to the college level, if at all? I'm sorry if this has been talked about in other threads. But I'd say soccer is pretty popular here in Connecticut and, not for nothing, UCONN has had a VERY good soccer program for decades. If there is ever an intensified health/safety scare in football, I wonder if college sports popularity will shift a bit to soccer. Just food for thought...

Dooley

Reaction Score
And to answer the OP question, I don't think Hartford will get a MLS team. Hartford is already botching up this "done deal" to lure the Rockcats 11 miles away.

Reaction Score
I was actually going to start a thread about UCONN soccer (and NCAA soccer in general), but I'll post it here instead for now. Soccer definitely seems to have gained tons of popularity in the States as seen by TV ratings and these fan zones with thousands of people watching games on big screens in numerous cities. When does the popularity of soccer shift to the college level, if at all? I'm sorry if this has been talked about in other threads. But I'd say soccer is pretty popular here in Connecticut and, not for nothing, UCONN has had a VERY good soccer program for decades. If there is ever an intensified health/safety scare in football, I wonder if college sports popularity will shift a bit to soccer. Just food for thought...

I would rather see our best players turn pro at college age, and have a vibrant pro scene that plays as many games as possible. This would best support our competitive ambitions on a global scale.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The Rock Cats should stay in New Britain as CT taxpayers shouldn't be used by yet another owner who wants the state to foot a bill for his new stadium.

Put the money into the Civic Center and expand The Rent by 10,000 seats.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I would rather see our best players turn pro at college age, and have a vibrant pro scene that plays as many games as possible. This would best support our competitive ambitions on a global scale.

I get your point. Similar to the NBA vs College Hoops debate. But even if they decided to go this route, there could be an upswing in college soccer popularity. If more and more parents won't allow their kids to play football (like many already don't anyway), then we could see a rise in popularity. Granted, it would take a LONG time to get anywhere near the popularity of football or basketball. But if TV ratings and fan zones are any measure (and the English Premier League ratings on NBC), then it might not be long before these P5 conference network deals begin to air a few soccer games. UCONN has a top soccer program. Just sayin'.

Dooley

Reaction Score
ESPN's top TV markets for US-Ghana: 1. DC; 2. NYC; 3. Hartford; 4. Boston.; 5. Columbus; 6. Balt; 7. Prov.; 8. Orlando; 9. SF; 10.Norfolk.

That's awesome. Sell UCONN soccer to the B1G!!

Seriously, it really is cool that Hartford is a Top 5 soccer market. I played for 18 years as a kid and never thought soccer would get here in terms of popularity.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The Rock Cats should stay in New Britain as CT taxpayers shouldn't be used by yet another owner who wants the state to foot a bill for his new stadium.

Put the money into the Civic Center and expand The Rent by 10,000 seats.

Agree. ALL state money considered for sports venues should be earmarked for advancing UCONN out of the AAC. That means throwing lipstick on the XL and expanding/renovating the Rent to meet B1G/ACC requirements. The Rockcats are just fine in New Britain. If everyone is worried about Hartford being a ghost town for entertainment, imagine the tumbleweeds 5-10 years from now if we are still in the AAC. Pour money into all of UCONN's venues in return for a promise to continue playing the majority of games at the XL. Done.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I get your point. Similar to the NBA vs College Hoops debate. But even if they decided to go this route, there could be an upswing in college soccer popularity. If more and more parents won't allow their kids to play football (like many already don't anyway), then we could see a rise in popularity. Granted, it would take a LONG time to get anywhere near the popularity of football or basketball. But if TV ratings and fan zones are any measure (and the English Premier League ratings on NBC), then it might not be long before these P5 conference network deals begin to air a few soccer games. UCONN has a top soccer program. Just sayin'.
From a player development perspective, the instruction college soccer is not good at all. Klinsmann has made critical comments about the quality of play, instruction, training, etc in the NCAA, and even before his stint the US Soccer national development concentrated on having our youth propsects target professional contracts with MLS or Europe. I'm sure if a 14 year old kid with tons of talent were scouted by the national team they would be told to only go to college if they were intent on getting the degree and were willing to give up on the opportunity to train and compete at elite club academies in Germany/Italy/England/Holland. And they'd be told that going the college route would put them at some disadvantage when competing for open spots on the USMNT.

Reaction Score

I would rather see our soccer develop away from the inane constraints set forth by the NCAA. We have a professional soccer system that already emulates what you see in other countries with MLS, the NASL and the USL respectively. Looks like the ASL wants to be a Division III league. It just has greater potential for our players to develop through their league matches, participation in the US Open Cup, CONCACAF Champions League etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom