OT: Brady out for 4 and Pats lose a first round pick. Nm | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Brady out for 4 and Pats lose a first round pick. Nm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even money that Brady's suspension gets cut in half.
Probably, but that's not a win for clearing his name or the Pats clearing theirs, which was the whole purpose of Kraft's appeal.

Reaction Score
  • Anyone glad that the pat's are facing a 'real' team in their opening against the pack because if they were playing the Bucs or other weak team, even without Brady, the final score would be like 77 to 0? Bellichick has been know to carry grudges and make 'enemies' pay for it.

The pack? First game is against the steelers.

Reaction Score
The NFL has plenty of time before the season starts to turn this into what we all know is coming.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
CFYq17KWMAA2o6B.jpg

So I'll publically say that I'll drop the appeal, then you say that you are dropping the Brady suspension on appeal. You'll look statesman like, Goody. You can even keep the mil. Oh but I will need the playbooks of playoff opponents next year. We good?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
4 game suspension upheld.

If true below his right not to share it but looks bad on Tom - this will leave a taint.

Reads right out of the Aaron Hernandez book on how to preserve evidence -

In announcing the decision, Goodell cited new information that on or shortly before March 6, Brady had directed that the cell phone he had used for the prior four months be destroyed. The NFL said in the statement that Brady destroyed the phone even though he was aware that investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on the phone.

According to the NFL, Brady had exchanged nearly 10,000 text messages, none of which can now be retrieved. The NFL also said in its statement that the destruction of the cell phone was not disclosed until June 18, almost four months after investigators had first sought information from him.

Goodell said in the statement he found that Brady "went beyond a mere failure to cooperate in the investigation and supported a finding that he had sought to hide evidence of his own participation in the scheme." Based on Ted Wells' report and the evidence presented at that hearing, Goodell also said that Brady was aware of, and took steps to support, the actions of other team employees to deflate game footballs below the levels allowed under NFL rules.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If a non government entity or a government entity without a warrant wanted my phone, I'd tell them in so many words to take a hike.

If I'm Tom Brady rich, I take the 4 weeks and head to the Seychelles and not worry one bit about legacy.

I think this whole thing is another example of the NFL not having its act together.

The correct answer should have been a fine with new procedures and clear penalties for doctoring game FB's. This whole thing was 90% back pedaling make it up as you go nonsense.

And I don't even like the Pats.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
If a non government entity or a government entity without a warrant wanted my phone, I'd tell them in so many words to take a hike.

If I'm Tom Brady rich, I take the 4 weeks and head to the Seychelles and not worry one bit about legacy.

I think this whole thing is another example of the NFL not having its act together.

The correct answer should have been a fine with new procedures and clear penalties for doctoring game FB's. This whole thing was 90% back pedaling make it up as you go nonsense.

And I don't even like the Pats.
Agreed doesn't have to share phone but to then destroy it - why?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I personally thought the suspension was a bit much but if we can assume the destruction of the phone actually occurred there is no way that you can win an appeal.

Disclaimer: the following statement is half-serious and half-trolling.

It makes me wonder if the phone had evidence of further infractions beyond the deflation nonsense. It would make a lot of sense to destroy it and take your 4 game suspension if you were worried that you were going to get caught with more incriminating evidence.

Reaction Score
What if your employer wanted your phone on suspicion of you cheating the company, for which you'd be suspended for a significant time without pay? You wouldn't hand it over if you had nothing to hide?

Derp

Reaction Score
Brady has his suspension upheld and looks like a clown.

Goodell looks foolish throughout this whole saga.

It's Christmas in July.

Reaction Score
It certainly hurts Brady's legacy, the coverup is often worse than the crime and this is one of those cases. He's not going to win this in court and it will only make him look more foolish, my advice would be to take the penalty and shut up but that was my advice from the start.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
What if your employer wanted your phone on suspicion of you cheating the company, for which you'd be suspended for a significant time without pay? You wouldn't hand it over if you had nothing to hide?

Derp

Not a chance. Any employer that would ask isn't worth it. If a company wants to lord over your phone they should issue you one for company business, then they have every right to it. You are not the property of your employer. You agree to provide agreed to labor under for an agreed to compensation package. Try to have more self esteem.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Agreed doesn't have to share phone but to then destroy it - why?

Pictures of his wife? No idea, that's what privacy is all about. If that phone would become a holy grail for every tabloid in the world, and it would, he wouldn't be able to leave it anywhere without someone trying to pilfer it. If you knew the entire world was after your phone/computer etc., I don't think destroying it isn't all that out of line for a guy like Brady especially if the NFL could somehow subpoena it. There doesn't need to be anything incriminating about deflategate on it. Just his day to day business would end up on TMZ if it fell into the hands of the NFL.

Reaction Score
Goodell is looking for a way to get himself in the judges chair to hear the court case. In reality, when the case is filed, the court will file an injunction and Brady will be allowed to play until the case is heard. The NFL has a horrible track record in court. I think Goodell had this whole thing decided before the report was even written. That is why he had it drag out so long. So there was no chance of a court hearing it before the season started.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's the thing. They have the two idiots phones. Who else do they think that he texted? It was a fishing expedition.

Want to fine Brady for not cooperating? Feel free but make it within the previously established guidelines. Want to fine him for deflating? Better have some evidence. Oh and it probably best not to issue that a report that says that any loss is entirely explainable by physics. (There's so much more wrong in that report and with all that led up to it, but there's no need to go there once you decide, as the NFL's science experts did, that any pressure loss was within the amounts that you'd expect given the conditions.)

That said if this whole destroyed the phone thing is legit (and not explainable by dropping in the toilet or something similar) then Brady would have been far smarter just to say he wasn't cooperating and leave it at that.

Reaction Score
You think a private club has to follow the constitution and court law? It is the NFL's toy and they can decide how to run their club. Brady learned from the Clintons. Destroy the evidence and all is OK.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Here's the thing. They have the two idiots phones. Who else do they think that he texted? It was a fishing expedition.

Want to fine Brady for not cooperating? Feel free but make it within the previously established guidelines. Want to fine him for deflating? Better have some evidence. Oh and it probably best not to issue that a report that says that any loss is entirely explainable by physics. (There's so much more wrong in that report and with all that led up to it, but there's no need to go there once you decide, as the NFL's science experts did, that any pressure loss was within the amounts that you'd expect given the conditions.)

That said if this whole destroyed the phone thing is legit (and not explainable by dropping in the toilet or something similar) then Brady would have been far smarter just to say he wasn't cooperating and leave it at that.

Once suit is filed in federal court, science takes a back seat to procedure. Though they certainly have that in their back pocket. Kesler is going to argue that regardless who announced the original penalties, it was not done in a vacuum. The penalties were determined by Goodell. Goodell then sat as appellate judge some 4 months later.

Goodell knew that this thing was going to court as soon as he authorized the punishment and that there is a positive non-zero (probably mid-double digits or higher) percent chance he loses. That is why 1) he upheld the original 4 games and 2) he fined the organization as well. Kraft had much less recourse than Brady does.

Goodell can now go back to the other 31 owners, especially the Colts and Ravens, and say, "Any reduction is out of my hands." Doty will do one of two things, IMO. Throw it back to the NFL and say get an appropriate arbiter who will throw out the ruling, considering the Hardy reduction, or 2) Follow his own precedent and toss the suspension.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
C'mon guys, the latest news just shows how much into deflation Brady is. First the football, then the cell phone. Maybe he should be in charge of getting a handle on college costs.

Reaction Score
Once suit is filed in federal court, science takes a back seat to procedure. Though they certainly have that in their back pocket. Kesler is going to argue that regardless who announced the original penalties, it was not done in a vacuum. The penalties were determined by Goodell. Goodell then sat as appellate judge some 4 months later.

Goodell knew that this thing was going to court as soon as he authorized the punishment and that there is a positive non-zero (probably mid-double digits or higher) percent chance he loses. That is why 1) he upheld the original 4 games and 2) he fined the organization as well. Kraft had much less recourse than Brady does.

Goodell can now go back to the other 31 owners, especially the Colts and Ravens, and say, "Any reduction is out of my hands." Doty will do one of two things, IMO. Throw it back to the NFL and say get an appropriate arbiter who will throw out the ruling, considering the Hardy reduction, or 2) Follow his own precedent and toss the suspension.

Except the CBA specifically says that Goodell has the right to suspend players for nebulous reasons and to hear and rule on any appeals, so they can't even use this argument in court. The players themselves are to blame because they gave away their right to a neutral arbitrator when they voluntarily agreed to their collective bargaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom