OT: Brady out for 4 and Pats lose a first round pick. Nm | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Brady out for 4 and Pats lose a first round pick. Nm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So the Pats go 3-1 with the backup ... wins against Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Jacksonville. A loss at Dallas.

And they win the AFC East for the 15th time in 16 years, get home field advantage, and go to another Super Bowl. Ho hum.
And Brady can get up on the podium and say "This is what happens when you ban me."

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'll bite -

How so?
To say Brady doesn't deserve the four Super Bowls because of "spy gate" or "Vinatieri" is ridiculous. He's been the best QB in the last 20+ years, usually playing with castoff receivers or guys from the parking lot.

Without Brady, that's a .500 team since 2000.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
This is selective prosecution. Where was NFL police when Jerry Rice wore glue on his hands his entire career?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
image.jpg
To say Brady doesn't deserve the four Super Bowls because of "spy gate" or "Vinatieri" is ridiculous. He's been the best QB in the last 20+ years, usually playing with castoff receivers or guys from the parking lot.

Without Brady, that's a .500 team since 2000.

I didn't say or imply he doesn't deserve them however his actions bring that back up to the surface. And the meme is spot on otherwise you would have most likely ignored it. I can't wait to hear the spin when he decides NOT to sue 'in the best interest of NE and NFL'. If he doesn't follow thru the taint sticks.

Did spygate happen?

Do you think a team that cheats has an advantage in a NFL game?

Do u believe an NFL team with castoffs have a better chance at winning if cheating??

If you feel I'm an not informed on the NFL so be it -

Last edited:

Bonehead

Reaction Score
This is selective prosecution. Where was NFL police when Jerry Rice wore glue on his hands his entire career?
LOL deflect deflect deflect.

This is like when I punish the kids for something and 1 kid will say so and so did it too...

So if Jerry Rice cheated but tom didn't, do I have that correct??

Or both cheated and there should be no punishment for either??

Reaction Score
Patriot haters are grossly exaggerating this situation. This is not as serious as a baseball pitcher applying a substance to a baseball, which is a safety issue.

And the amount of venom on display is at the level you'd expect to see for enemies of this country. If you don't understand that, I don't know how you find your way to work every morning.
Yeah, it's no big deal to cheat. It's no big deal to destroy evidence. It's no big deal for this to be a pattern with the Patriots.

We all know what it's, like to be a fan. But c'mon something stinks in Boston. And for Pats fans to play the victim, good grief.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
And the amount of venom on display is at the level you'd expect to see for enemies of this country. If you don't understand that, I don't know how you find your way to work every morning.
GPS

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
View attachment 10089

I didn't say or imply he doesn't deserve them however his actions bring that back up to the surface. And the meme is spot on otherwise you would have most likely ignored it. I can't wait to hear the spin when he decides NOT to sue 'in the best interest of NE and NFL'. If he doesn't follow thru the taint sticks.

Did spygate happen?

Do you think a team that cheats has an advantage in a NFL game?

Do u believe an NFL team with castoffs have a better chance at winning if cheating??

If you feel I'm an not informed on the NFL so be it -

I'm not saying it's ok to cheat, or that Brady is innocent. I am questioning why this has received so much publicity and why the punishment far exceeds the crime. Stuff like this happens every day, but no one (and no team) has ever received this kind of treatment. The reaction from the NFL and the general public is overblown 1,000x out of proportion.

This is less serious than a baseball pitcher placing a foreign substance on a baseball, which is a safety issue. No one was ever in danger from a slightly underinflated football.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Over the fact that he's the QB of Boston's team? Don't tell me Yankees fans didn't hate the Sox during the various historical periods when they owned/own them.

I'm a Giant fan. I'm also a Brady fan because of ties I have to U of M. Brady screwed up and Patroot fans are acting like the parents of a spoiled child, blaming the teacher for disciplining their poor baby. Whether or not the punishment fit the crime - hands down Brady knew he was playing with a doctored ball against the rules - or the punishment was administered properly is for someone else to decide.

Whether or not how the league has handled wife batterers makes sense as opposed to ball doctorers is irrelevant. Obviously battering is worse. But one happened outside the stripes and affects the integrity of the league. The other, even if innocuous affects the integrity of the game.

Sorry, but it's the Patriot fans here who are unhinged. One wonders what the reaction would be on your part of it was discovered that the opposing QB had done the same, destroyed his phone and made public pronouncements about his lack of knowledge and just got a slap on the wrist. Not much doubt.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I'm not saying it's ok to cheat, or that Brady is innocent. I am questioning why this has received so much publicity and why the punishment far exceeds the crime. Stuff like this happens every day, but no one (and no team) has ever received this kind of treatment. The reaction from the NFL and the general public is overblown 1,000x out of proportion.

This is less serious than a baseball pitcher placing a foreign substance on a baseball, which is a safety issue. No one was ever in danger from a slightly underinflated football.
So because it is not a safety issue its ok?

Its received so much publicity because:
a: Second time the team has been investigated for 'cheating'
b: The most recognizable face of the NFL is the main focus
c: The attempted cover up really angers people and brings the integrity of those involved into question
d: If Tom gave his phone and was open during the investigation he probably wouldn't be looking at 4 games - my guess is that when you fail to be contrite, contribute to the investigation and then destroy evidence, the punishment is more than just the underinflated ball

Reaction Score
Over the fact that he's the QB of Boston's team? Don't tell me Yankees fans didn't hate the Sox during the various historical periods when they owned/own them.
That's quite a stretch.

No, there's no NY/Boston thing going on between Giants and Pats. At least not coming from Giants fans. It's all coming from Pats fans who are still incredibly butt-hurt about having two fewer asterisks.

The Pats are UK and the Giants are UConn. Do we bball fans really "have anger" for them because they're successful? No, because UConn dominates UK on the court when it matters.

Reaction Score
Never hated the Red Sox or ever really considered them a rival until they won. My dad is in his 70's and he used to laugh when my Yankee friends would get together with with my Red Sox friends and talk trash, he said he never considered Boston a rival his entire life.

I was raised by a Yankees fan who basically told me the difference between Yankees fans and Red Sox fans is that Yankees want to beat whoever is needed to win the Wold Series in any given year while Red Sox fans would rather beat the Yankees than win the World Series.

Oh, and 27 World Series Championships to 8 is not a rivalry, it's a mercy rule.

Reaction Score
Patriot haters are grossly exaggerating this situation. This is not as serious as a baseball pitcher applying a substance to a baseball, which is a safety issue.

venom? A simple discussion of the facts is venom? Again, overrating your guy and team as to where they stand in the world vs our country's enemies. WOW

Reaction Score
That's quite a stretch.

No, there's no NY/Boston thing going on between Giants and Pats. At least not coming from Giants fans. It's all coming from Pats fans who are still incredibly butt-hurt about having two fewer asterisks.

The Pats are UK and the Giants are UConn. Do we bball fans really "have anger" for them because they're successful? No, because UConn dominates UK on the court when it matters.

We need to understand the creation made by the Sox of 2004, it's not really the Pats it's their fans. It's Sox and Pats Nation that come up with this stuff.

Reaction Score

As painful as it is to say, the recent article on ESPN was right. It's a timing issue. The Ray Rice 'incident' blew-up in Goodell's face. Going forward, he had to take a hard line on everything and everyone going forward. Brady's balls just happened to be the next issue to pop-up after. Thus, the NFL has to make Brady an example of the new zero tolerance policy. This happens everywhere and Brady & co. shoudl have just swallowed their pride and move on knowing that Goodell could not back down. They have not and in addition to Goodell coming off as heavy handed, Brady & the Pats come off looking like a 5 year old who broke the lamp and are trying to blame the dog for it instead.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
So because it is not a safety issue its ok?

Its received so much publicity because:
a: Second time the team has been investigated for 'cheating'
b: The most recognizable face of the NFL is the main focus
c: The attempted cover up really angers people and brings the integrity of those involved into question
d: If Tom gave his phone and was open during the investigation he probably wouldn't be looking at 4 games - my guess is that when you fail to be contrite, contribute to the investigation and then destroy evidence, the punishment is more than just the underinflated ball

Again ... I'm not saying it's ok to cheat. It's wrong. But the competitive advantage has never been proven and this is less serious than what some baseball pitchers do.

Even so, it's received more attention than Planned Parenthood selling baby parts or Iran getting a nuclear bomb. The whole ""deflate gate" thing is overblown. It's comical.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Again ... I'm not saying it's ok to cheat. It's wrong. But the competitive advantage has never been proven and this is less serious than what some baseball pitchers do.

Even so, it's received more attention than Planned Parenthood selling baby parts or Iran getting a nuclear bomb. The whole ""deflate gate" thing is overblown. It's comical.
Honestly - I agree that they under inflated balls didn't contribute to the results of the afc champ game - but cheating is cheating and Pats fans as a whole don't see that. What's comical in my opinion is the patriot fans reaction.

Tom contributed to the story - he could have ended this long ago, multiple times and multiple ways.

The next time tom is done with his 4 month cell plan he should really donate the phones to the needy or to the troops as opposed to destroying them -

As a Vikings fan I remember the day Ontario Smith was caught cheating by Airport security discovering his whizzinator in his carry on luggage - he cheated and got what he deserved.

Reaction Score
The next time tom is done with his 4 month cell plan he should really donate the phones to the needy or to the troops as opposed to destroying them -

If Tom wants to do that, I volunteer to check through his phone before he turns it in to make sure that this phone has no texts on deflated balls or pics of Gisele ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's Goodell's findings. I didn't notice it linked elsewhere.

I haven't had the chance to go through in detail, but on a quick glance it seems paper thin but written in an authoritative tone.

I agree with H25 that this may rest on a determination of Goodell was an appropriate and impartial arbitrator. If he is, we don't get to the flaws in the Wells report, we defer to the arbitrator.

People are getting a woody about the phone destruction. While bad optics, if he wasn't required to turn it over, then he was free to do whatever he chose with it.

Reaction Score
If Tom wants to do that, I volunteer to check through his phone before he turns it in to make sure that this phone has no texts on deflated balls or pics of Gisele ;)
Gisele?! Brady was right to destroy it!

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Here's Goodell's findings. I didn't notice it linked elsewhere.

I haven't had the chance to go through in detail, but on a quick glance it seems paper thin but written in an authoritative tone.

I agree with H25 that this may rest on a determination of Goodell was an appropriate and impartial arbitrator. If he is, we don't get to the flaws in the Wells report, we defer to the arbitrator.

People are getting a woody about the phone destruction. While bad optics, if he wasn't required to turn it over, then he was free to do whatever he chose with it.

You are correct - he is free to do whatever he wants with his phone -
But what he did swayed public opinion, opened up the possibility that he destroyed as a means of protecting himself. He had many chances to make this go away, he chose not to, which is fine - he created the bad optic not the NFL.

Im sure the punishment includes his lack of being part of the investigation, so the punishment for failing to be upfront, truthful and part of the NFL investigation is appropriate and not impartial, in my opinion.

He could have been part of the solution but chose not to be.

If I were innocent and in his position I would have produced my phone and showed the world the bully that is the NFL - I would be hailed as the hero; Brady chose a different route probably because of incriminating evidence on phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom