OT-bourbon help? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT-bourbon help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My contractor buddy who I funnel work to all year gave me a gift bottle of the 2014 Laphroaig Cairdeas. This is a special and different bottling every year. This year the Cairdeas was aged 7 years in bourbon barrels (Makers Mark) then 1 year in Amontillado sherry barrels. Bottled at 51.4% ABV it was outstanding. Good luck finding it.

Reaction Score
Whistlepig which is made at a big factory distillery in Canada, and that same distillery makes the exact same stuff (unaltered) for boutique bottlers who repackage it. This also happens in the USA: a good many American bourbons and ryes come from one single distillery in Indiana, and it's all the same.

Some of the bourbons on that list:

Builleit Rye (Indiana)
Angel's Envy (Indiana)
Templeton (Indiana)
Breckenridge (known to mix bourbons it doesn't make and repackage them)

Bulleitt bourbon (owned by Diageo, biggest distributor in the world, sourced from Four Roses now, but it has moved around quite a bit)

As for the new Hirsch's and Michter's, watch out: "Preiss imports is a bottler and importer that bought up the old stocks of A.H. Hirsch from the closed Michter's distillery in Pennsylvania. (The Michter's name is now used by Chatham Imports to bottle unrelated whiskey). They are bottling the last of the old Michter's Bourbon as A.H. Hirsch, but they are also using the Hirsch name on a variety of whiskeys, including a Canadian whisky, a rye and an "American whiskey," none of which appear to have any relation to A.H. Hirsch."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"bourbon help?"

Well, it couldn't hurt.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Black Bush is now my go to Scotch by Bushnell.
I'm not a fan, but if you are you should know that it's an Irish Whiskey, not a Scotch. And it's Bushmill's.

Reaction Score
The original Hirsch stocks were gone a while ago. If you have a bottle of the Hirsch 16 with a gold foil that's the last of it. It's goes for between !3-5k a bottle of you can find it. I've had a few bottle for about 10 years and opened my last bottle of it a few months ago and it's as good as I remember. My wife thinks me an idiot for not selling it. I'd got two others bottles that can bring between $5-$9k combined and she's told me that's teal money and I should sell them.

Whistle Pig comes from the same place that makes Alberta Premium canadian rye which is unavailable in the states. It's a medium price in Canada, but it's likely that Whistle Pig is a different mash bill to some degree. I've not had the Alberta Premium, but it is a -00% rye which is pretty rare.

For this conversation, Diageo owna or has owned the following, but doesn't own an operating bourbon distillery.

-Dickel (still own it)
-They own the Bullit brand, but it's common knowledge that the bouton is Produced at Four Roses and the rye produced at MGP in Indiana
-Own Stitzel-Weller (closed in the early 90's)
-Owned Bernheim (twice)

The new offerings from Orphan Barrel a Diageo creation -Rhetroic (19 year), Barter House (20 year), Old Blowhard (26 year) and are from barrels in the old Stitzel-weller or Bernheim.

The Orphan Barrels aren't terrible and are reasonably priced. The Barterhouse is $80 which is pretty good for a 20 year. I actually think more than 20 years of age on bourbon is detrimental to the produce. For example for me the 15yo Pappy is tons better than the 23 year. I'll drink 12 year old Elijah Craig as well as the high proof William Larue Weller, Hamdy (rye) and George Stagg all day and be happy.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan, but if you are you should know that it's an Irish Whiskey, not a Scotch. And it's Bushmill's.

it is an Irish whisky sold in the scotch section of my liquor store and yes Bushmill's. Big fingers on small phone keypad.

$34.99 for 750ml won numerous awards

Hope your not one of those boneyard police. Maybe I got your tone wrong.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
it is an Irish whisky sold in the scotch section of my liquor store and yes Bushmill's. Big fingers on small phone keypad.

$34.99 for 750ml won numerous awards

Hope your not one of those boneyard police. Maybe I got your tone wrong.
Sorry. No worries or offense intended. I don't know what the boneyard police are so I don't know if I'm one of them, but in this instance I was genuinely trying to help in the event that you didn't know it was Irish whiskey and not Scotch, or were confused about the name. I tended bar for almost a decade and was just doing a public service announcement, if nothing else.

Reaction Score
Sorry. No worries or offense intended. I don't know what the boneyard police are so I don't know if I'm one of them, but in this instance I was genuinely trying to help in the event that you didn't know it was Irish whiskey and not Scotch, or were confused about the name. I tended bar for almost a decade and was just doing a public service announcement, if nothing else.[/QU

No problem. Hard to understand intent sometimes with written word.

Reaction Score
Not bourbon, but I picked some of this stuff up, Delord 25 year old Armagnac, and I highly recommend it. Went back to the store and invested in a bunch of bottles because good affordable Armagnac is very hard to find:

79182.jpg

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Not bourbon, but I picked some of this stuff up, Delord 25 year old Armagnac, and I highly recommend it. Went back to the store and invested in a bunch of bottles because good affordable Armagnac is very hard to find:

79182.jpg
How much was it?

Reaction Score
If you want to blend a bit of historical trivia, try Buffalo Trace - the only US distiller that produced legally during prohibition - for medicinal reasons.

Woodford very smooth

Bullit not bad (90p).

100p Wild Turkey always a good fall-back

In the end, I mix it with Vermouth for Manhattens - as in msg 12/8.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Basil Hayden if I'm sipping. It's slightly lower proof than many of the fancy american whisky brands. For me that's cool. I like the burn, but only to a point. Bulleit if I'm making cocktails. Also, stick to American Whisky. We do it so well and have such a cool culture of making it...sometimes illegally.

Reaction Score
Plenty in that range

-Blantons is good and should be easy to attain
-Elijah Craig 12 yo is a notch below that price point but very tasty
-Four Roses - Small batch and single barrel, there is about 10 different mash bills so depending on if you like a wheated bourbon or not is where the mash bill comes into play
-Rock Hill Farms
-Breckenridge is good a bit on the lighter side, but very surprising for a Colorado product (I know people love Bullet, but I personally don't understand it)
-Leopold Brother out of Colorado makes some incredible whiskeys and as much as I hate to admit it their fresh Georgia peach, Rocky Mountain blackberry fruited products are amazing.
-EH Taylor good and while there is a fuss about the tornado surviving lot it's just like their other product.
-Wild Turkey Tradition - that's probably a touch outside of your price point but its tasty
-Parker reserve - you might be able to get a bottle of this at the upper range of what you want to spend. It's high proof.

There's a ton more, and I'm happy to help and even give you some thoughts on where to find some stuff if you need more info PM me.

Excellent list from a person who definitely knows his bourbon. My two cents, if you can find some Elmer t Lee, it's the big brother to rock hill farms and blantons and worth it for about 85 bucks. Not always easy to find. As far as EH Taylor goes, the only one I truly think is worth the money is the EH Taylor Barrel strength, also about 80$. Breckenridge is a great choice. I still don't know how they cram that flavor in there with only 3-5 years barrel aging but it's good.

Reaction Score
I've got four bottles of it, but you know if you ever drink it it's almost unattainable unless you buy a lot or know someone. I've got an unopened bottle of 20 that I'm seriously considering putting in eBay. It'll get close to a grand. Stupid people pay stupid money when there is a ton of good stuff available for reasonable price points. Don't get me wrong Julian does great stuff, but there are plenty of options that are equal and some that dare I say are even better

The best Pappy is the younger stuff, bourbon typically when it gets to that 20 yo range can get overly oaked and overpower the glass, it's what happened to the Elijah 20, but the 21 is supposed to have a more balanced flavor profile which I'll confirm tomorrow when I still in from turkey hunting and open that bottle.

By the way 99 there are some good Ryes out there in your price point if you want something lighter. Whistle Pig is great at between 55-70 bucks. Handy Rye is high proof 134-140 but great if he likes high proofed stuff that probably tips your price range a bit and it might be hard to track down as I've not tried to find it in a whole as I've still got a bottle left.

I'll take this back to the bourbon enthusiast site so we can get back to hoops.

The best bang for the buck bourbon with a little bit of searching, is Weller 12 year. Expanding on your point, lots of the best bourbons are actually a tad younger. Weller 12 year is the same juice aka distillate that is Pappy. Same exact stuff. Only difference is the part of the warehouses that the barrel is stored. The result is something that is strikingly similar if not almost the same as Pappy 12. It will be hard to find Weller 12 now, but after release in the fall it isn't that bad. Prices usually between 90$-150$ but it's spectacular for that price.

Reaction Score
If you want to blend a bit of historical trivia, try Buffalo Trace - the only US distiller that produced legally during prohibition - for medicinal reasons.

Woodford very smooth

Bullit not bad (90p).

100p Wild Turkey always a good fall-back

In the end, I mix it with Vermouth for Manhattens - as in msg 12/8.
The best Woodford is the Double Oak. A little more expensive but well worth.
The Buffalo Trace is one of the few distilleries that offer free tours and one of the most informative.

Reaction Score
The best bang for the buck bourbon with a little bit of searching, is Weller 12 year. Expanding on your point, lots of the best bourbons are actually a tad younger. Weller 12 year is the same juice aka distillate that is Pappy. Same exact stuff. Only difference is the part of the warehouses that the barrel is stored. The result is something that is strikingly similar if not almost the same as Pappy 12. It will be hard to find Weller 12 now, but after release in the fall it isn't that bad. Prices usually between 90$-150$ but it's spectacular for that price.

The Old Weller Antique 107 is about as good as it gets, seriously. It's the same mash bill at the Pappy and it's the exact proof as the Pappy 15 year......having had them both and likely for my wife far too often, they are strikingly similar. It can be hard to find, but I ran across a stash at a small town liquor by me in upstate NY and I was shocked they had it and shocked that they kept the price point where it was supposed to me. I've got two small bottles and a 1.75 in storage of this and I'm going to get more next weekend. I'm not as big a fan of the Weller Special Reserve (90 proof) it's a short finish on that, but I think it's a great bourbon for folks that aren't used to drinking a lot of bourbon, it won't knock you on your hind end with a huge finish.

I get the Old Weller Antique 107 very very inexpensively.

I'm actually now loving the 1792 Reserve, it's got a sweet finish that is really nice for me right now.

I will say that Heaven Hill isn't bad for what it is, seriously. People will scoff at a cheap bottle and never give it a chance, but it's a nice Julep bourbon.

The Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC) is great stuff if you can find it - William LaRue Weller, Handy Rye and the George T Stagg are all great and high proof (130 - 141 or so) which is right up my alley. I grab them whenever I find them, but they can be spendy. I've not had the Sazerac 18 or the Eagle Rare 17, because I've not been places at the right time.

I picked up two bottled of the Parker's Limited release of their wheat whiskey a few months back, but haven't tried them yet.

Sorry, could go on for hours on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom