OT-bourbon help? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT-bourbon help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
North has a great list.
Blantons
Four Roses
Woodford (probably the best for the buck)
Pappy's must be 325+ for the younger stuff?

Reaction Score
Angel's Envy Bourbon. Fantastically smooth and finished in Port casks.

Reaction Score
Basil Haydens - had a blind whiskey tasting with my uncles a while back with 10 bottles ranging from $10-$150, Basil won unanimously .. and i've found bottles on sale for $30, best bang for your buck.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This has been my favorite go to of all whiskeys for a while:

Red_Breast_Red_Breast_12_Year_Old_12_.jpg

And I'm not generally an Irish whiskey fan, but this tastes more like a nice single malt Scotch to me.

Reaction Score
Wow, consider me impressed!! As someone whose 3rd grade, then 8th grade class trips included explorations of the Glenmore and Jim Beam distilleries - and whose Father's ashes are across the highway from Jim Beam's home - consider me favorably impressed. You guys are no rank amateurs at the Bourbon game. No, I am not posting drunk. :)

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
This has been my favorite go to of all whiskeys for a while:

Red_Breast_Red_Breast_12_Year_Old_12_.jpg

And I'm not generally an Irish whiskey fan, but this tastes more like a nice single malt Scotch to me.

Another solid choice. Tried it on advice from a born and bred Irishman!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Went to Hammonasset Packy for a bunch of holiday drinkin stuff and decid to go for a bourbon remembering this thread. Did not bring phone in so grabbed a 750ml bottle of Woodford Reserve for $36. Not sure how aged it is but will be sipping later.

Should I chill it? Or go with ice?

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If it is good whisky the only way to drink it is neat.

If you need to drink it on the rocks or chill it you mat as well buy something mid-level.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If it is good whisky the only way to drink it is neat.

If you need to drink it on the rocks or chill it you mat as well buy something mid-level.
I agree with the sentiment, but I have to admit that in practice I usually use one cube for even the best whiskey.

Wimpy or wasteful, perhaps, but that's the way I like to drink most good booze.

Reaction Score
Yup the stones are the way to go. But realistically, drink it the way you want to, it's your bottle and your palate.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We took a tour of a distillery last year and the bourbon-maker man said that stones were silly and that large-sized ice cubes were appropriate.

I might have tried bourbon twice in my life and never with rocks or large-sized ice cubes, so I can't say whether I think he's correct or not.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Went to Hammonasset Packy for a bunch of holiday drinkin stuff and decid to go for a bourbon remembering this thread. Did not bring phone in so grabbed a 750ml bottle of Woodford Reserve for $36. Not sure how aged it is but will be sipping later.

Should I chill it? Or go with ice?

Solid choice. Plenty of options at that price range and you picked a good one.

Reaction Score
I'm sure someone said that, but it makes little sense since it's a way to change the temp. Be it ice, stones or leaving it in a snow pile. If you want to get the temp down there are plenty of ways to do it and some do it without diluting the spirit.

I'm probably now up to 60 different bourbons in the house (my wife's a saint) ranging from the out of production Hirsch to Pappy to OGD BIB (which is pretty damn good) and unless someone's paying for that booze I'll drink it however I like and that means at times neat, sometimes with one cube, with a stone or a slew of ice in the glass.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If Ralfie sez add a little water to open it up, I listen to him. I could listen to this guy talk about whisky all day.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And tying this thread to the one over the weekend, you man card is safe with a bottle Woodford.

Reaction Score
have a really good buddy who is a carpenter and did a huge favor. looking to get him a nice bottle of bourbon in the 50 to 70 dollar range, any idea?
Rare Eagle is a great brand and is not crazy expensive.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
Nice!! I'm guessing he's more of a grape Nehi kinda kid. Probably ODs on Chips Ahoy cookies.

Well, thanks, just so freakin much. Quit the sauce 40 years ago (popular demand) and now y'all got my tongue hanging out again!!!!
Ahhh, well, day at a time....:)

Reaction Score
My go-to site for whiskey reviews and pricing. I'm a scotch drinker (Islay) but judging from the ratings you guys know your bourbons.

Liquor reviews

BTW I've also sat mesmerized by one Ralphy scotch review video after another on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom