OT-bourbon help? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT-bourbon help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
3 reasonably priced (30-40$ for a fifth) are Hirsch Small Batch, Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare. Low budget favorites are Four Roses and Old Weller. You will not find Pappy on a shelf anywhere, if you do let me know.
Most of Pappy is Buffalo Trace anyway iirc. Hirsch has some of the highest priced bourbon out there and their "normal" brands are good too. 99Bottles in Westport hasd some Rip van winkle a few weeks ago and some of the AM Hirsch $1500 bottles in humidors - you can check if they can get you some.

As to the original post, I'd consider getting a bottle of Whistle Pig Rye. $69 and delicious, made in Vermont near Alchemy (Heady Topper) - must be the great water!

Reaction Score
Drumguy said:
Most of Pappy is Buffalo Trace anyway iirc. Hirsch has some of the highest priced bourbon out there and their "normal" brands are good too. 99Bottles in Westport hasd some Rip van winkle a few weeks ago and some of the AM Hirsch $1500 bottles in humidors - you can check if they can get you some. As to the original post, I'd consider getting a bottle of Whistle Pig Rye. $69 and delicious, made in Vermont near Alchemy (Heady Topper) - must be the great water!
Whistlepig Is actually made in Canada and bottled in Vermont. Technically, it is Canadian whiskey made with an American Rye recipe. Nonetheless, good stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most of Pappy is Buffalo Trace anyway iirc. Hirsch has some of the highest priced bourbon out there and their "normal" brands are good too. 99Bottles in Westport hasd some Rip van winkle a few weeks ago and some of the AM Hirsch $1500 bottles in humidors - you can check if they can get you some.

As to the original post, I'd consider getting a bottle of Whistle Pig Rye. $69 and delicious, made in Vermont near Alchemy (Heady Topper) - must be the great water!

While I like Whistle Pig ts 100% Canadian Rye. It's essentially Alberta Select iirc or made by the same folks that make Alberta Select which runs about $30 a bottle in Canada, it's not obtainable in the states unfortunately. I'm sure they do a special blend for Pickerell/WP.

I believe that Pappy shares a mashbill with Weller and both are Trace brands.

Reaction Score
Michter's rye is excellent
RI's own sons of liberty make good stuff
Whistle Pig Rye and Angels Envy Rye are both great values
Pappy is good; tough to live up to the price; but I think the 23 year old does.
FYI; this is the year to seek out Pappy.
Lots of inventory

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I just picked up a bottle of Michters bourbon today, anybody like it?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My go-to site for whiskey reviews and pricing. I'm a scotch drinker (Islay) but judging from the ratings you guys know your bourbons.

Liquor reviews

BTW I've also sat mesmerized by one Ralphy scotch review video after another on youtube.
Ralfy(?) is mesmerizing. He also reviews Canadian, ryes, and bourbons. I prefer bourbon over scotch now but he is a great resource.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I hate bourbon. Why am I so fascinated with this thread?

Reaction Score
I hate bourbon. Why am I so fascinated with this thread?
Bourbon--well, really, whisky--is sort of like beer: if you say you hate it it's probably because you haven't tried the right one yet...there are so many different varieties and flavors.

Reaction Score
There meeds to be pictures with this three with the bottle and how it's being enjoyed.

Reaction Score
We took a tour of a distillery last year and the bourbon-maker man said that stones were silly and that large-sized ice cubes were appropriate.

I might have tried bourbon twice in my life and never with rocks or large-sized ice cubes, so I can't say whether I think he's correct or not.

If there ever is a BY golf outing again Team Fishy will drink a different bourbon each and every hole………no more Red Stripes, time to put the big boy pants on!!;)

Drumguy

Reaction Score
If there ever is a BY golf outing again Team Fishy will drink a different bourbon each and every hole………no more Red Stripes, time to put the big boy pants on!!;)
Team Fishy will need to be a lot bigger then. Dibs on a spot.

If we can mix it up with scotch every 2nd or 3rd hole it might be the greatest idea ever!

Drumguy

Reaction Score
I'm sure someone said that, but it makes little sense since it's a way to change the temp. Be it ice, stones or leaving it in a snow pile. If you want to get the temp down there are plenty of ways to do it and some do it without diluting the spirit.

I'm probably now up to 60 different bourbons in the house (my wife's a saint) ranging from the out of production Hirsch to Pappy to OGD BIB (which is pretty damn good) and unless someone's paying for that booze I'll drink it however I like and that means at times neat, sometimes with one cube, with a stone or a slew of ice in the glass.
Knowing what my brother in law paid for the Hirsch (it comes in a freakin humidor) you have a major investment in those bourbons! (more than a lot of wine cellars). What time should we come over for the holiday tasting? Actually my b-i-l will be opening one of his 3 bottles of the Hirsch on Friday night to toast his son's nuptials. We'll be tasting the Rip and a bottle of 25 year Talisker as well. After that I'm not sure I'll care what's being served!

Reaction Score
Knowing what my brother in law paid for the Hirsch (it comes in a freakin humidor) you have a major investment in those bourbons! (more than a lot of wine cellars). What time should we come over for the holiday tasting? Actually my b-i-l will be opening one of his 3 bottles of the Hirsch on Friday night to toast his son's nuptials. We'll be tasting the Rip and a bottle of 25 year Talisker as well. After that I'm not sure I'll care what's being served!
How was the Talisker? I'm not a scotch man, but appreciate any spirit that has been crafted. Plus I want to elevate a thread that can't help but be happy, versus the well deserved malaise on this board.

I will say that I'm pretty damn impressed with the Beam signature 12 yo, not the rubbish that's been aged in sherry or port casks, just the true bourbon. Its light, but it's pretty darn tasty. I evoke from a light rye (whistle pig) , to the beam signature now on to Elijah Craig 18 and what a difference with each.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
How was the Talisker? I'm not a scotch man, but appreciate any spirit that has been crafted. Plus I want to elevate a thread that can't help but be happy, versus the well deserved malaise on this board.

I will say that I'm pretty damn impressed with the Beam signature 12 yo, not the rubbish that's been aged in sherry or port casks, just the true bourbon. Its light, but it's pretty darn tasty. I evoke from a light rye (whistle pig) , to the beam signature now on to Elijah Craig 18 and what a difference with each.
I ended up getting late to the party (arrived just before the wedding) so while I delivered the Talisker and Hirsch door to door, I didn't get to taste any. I expect sometime before the winter is out we'll have an all out tasting though. I consoled myself with the Talisker 10 and 18 in my cabinet! I'll look for the Beam signature! Thanks for checking and I will pot someday when I've had them!

Reaction Score
I ended up getting late to the party (arrived just before the wedding) so while I delivered the Talisker and Hirsch door to door, I didn't get to taste any. I expect sometime before the winter is out we'll have an all out tasting though. I consoled myself with the Talisker 10 and 18 in my cabinet! I'll look for the Beam signature! Thanks for checking and I will pot someday when I've had them!

Drumguy - "pot someday"? That's a whole 'nother thread pal……start it…...:cool:

Reaction Score
I'd pay to watch that show.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Drumguy - "pot someday"? That's a whole 'nother thread pal……start it…...:cool:
While a typing error, very apropos given the legalized use in 2 states Wednesday - like gay marriage it most likely will sweep across the north and west. (Not trying to delve into politics here just mho about what will happen) so that in the near future we may be having this related conversation! Aged pot, that's a thought!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Christmas party saw my Woodford Reserve go from 3/4 to empty. So just picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 y.o. bourbon to go with my Gentleman Jack for a party tonight.

Who's the man?

Reaction Score

Until you find a dead body ....

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Christmas party saw my Woodford Reserve go from 3/4 to empty. So just picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 y.o. bourbon to go with my Gentleman Jack for a party tonight.

Who's the man?
If we are resurrecting, just bought a bottle of Redbreast Irish pot still for my birthday gift. Different but excellent, highly recommended.

Reaction Score
I'm not a scotch guy, but I got a bottle of macallan 18 as a gift a few weeks ago. I've heard it's great, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try

Drumguy

Reaction Score
I'm not a scotch guy, but I got a bottle of macallan 18 as a gift a few weeks ago. I've heard it's great, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try
That is a very nice gift. I also was lucky to have a client who is having a huge year, felt that I had helped that and bought me a bottle of Macallan Rare Cask!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If we are resurrecting, just bought a bottle of Redbreast Irish pot still for my birthday gift. Different but excellent, highly recommended.

This is my go-to whiskey--and I generally can't stand Irish whiskey. I love this stuff though. Smooth, creamy, reminds me of a single-malt Scotch more than an Irish whiskey. I always have a bottle on hand at home and have turned a lot of guests on to it.

This is also a great bottle. Lagavulin 16-year is my house Scotch and my favorite, but Macallan 18 is also excellent. Enjoy!

Drumguy

Reaction Score
In an earlier post I mentioned the AM Hirsch in the humidor and had the opportunity to taste that (a wee dram is all), Talasker 30 and Talisker 27 year old 1985. All bottles ranged from $500 to $1500. Not my budget but I won't turn down a taste and am lucky to have a brother in law who can afford those. All were absolutely terrific. I liked them and they were incredibly smooth - the Hirsch had almost a vanilla cream finish. The Talasker 30 was a smoother version of the 10/18. The 1985 had a hot finish due to the higher alcohol.

Do I think they are worth the huge expenditure, not really. You can taste a great bourbon for $30 (Sazerac, Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare) and get 99% of the idea. Also I am happy with Talisker 10 for $50. The Macallan Rare Cask was very nice but I couldn't really tell the difference between the 18 and it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom