OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Int'l exp??? Green has this is large amounts? Davis? Brooks? Yedlin? Wondo? Bedoya? The sabbatical was two years ago. Raising MLS is teriffic, but this is the WORLD CUP. In the immortal words of Chuck Neiderman, "I don't think now is the best time to make sure everyone gets to play."

Great minds think alike... ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What do you think, that I sleep with Klinsmann?!? I don't have the specifics, nor does the press. However, there is very little doubt as to the type of issue. And the type of issue is "personal"...

Sounds like there is plenty of doubt. I still haven't seen or read anything that disuades me from thinking that Klinsmann is
making decisions solely based on what he feels is best for the program.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Sounds like there is plenty of doubt. I still haven't seen or read anything that disuades me from thinking that Klinsmann is

Good for you. Then that means you are one of the last people that feels that way...

Reaction Score
If you're not watching the UCL final, you are missing out right now on some world class play.
Great match. Real Madrid subs just outplayed everybody in the second half.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Well maybe read his son taunting LD on Twitter.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Great match. Real Madrid subs just outplayed everybody in the second half.

The full 90 was amazing. Watching some of the players break down in extra time from fatigue/cramping was unfortunate for the fans, but terrific for anyone playing these guy's teams in Brazil. I do think fitness and desire will be a US strength and we will need to have guys like Ronaldo et al, break down. I am looking at Portugal as the "softest" team in the group. I hope we can take advantage.

Reaction Score
Int'l exp??? Green has this is large amounts? Davis? Brooks? Yedlin? Wondo? Bedoya? The sabbatical was two years ago. Raising MLS is teriffic, but this is the WORLD CUP. In the immortal words of Chuck Neiderman, "I don't think now is the best time to make sure everyone gets to play."
He picked the guys that were willing to work the hardest AND give him the best TEAM. Yedlin is a Defender; Davis has nothing but a great left foot and is the best in set pieces, Donovan not moving him sorry; Bedoya played on Nantes in France and scored only goal against a good Marseille team, also in Sweden and Scotland (Rangers); Wondo is the puzzler. Give Klinsman the BOD there. Wondo can score goals unless somebody prove he can't.

Reaction Score
The full 90 was amazing. Watching some of the players break down in extra time from fatigue/cramping was unfortunate for the fans, but terrific for anyone playing these guy's teams in Brazil. I do think fitness and desire will be a US strength and we will need to have guys like Ronaldo et al, break down. I am looking at Portugal as the "softest" team in the group. I hope we can take advantage.
Refs will be huge and don't think that Renaldo won't get the Michael Jordan treatment. Yesterday proved he can be pushed around though. Don't forget Atletico was missing Costa who I think is their top scorer.

Reaction Score
There have been some rumblings that the dismissal of the assistant coach a couple weeks back may have been about who to put on the squad, specifically LD and a few others vs. these young kids that have zero accomplishments. I'm starting to get the impression that SoCal Klinsmann likes to surround himself with yes men.

Now Herb Brooks had the same traits and that turned out OK, but I keep coming back watching to gaffe after gaffe from a lot of players who will be seeing important time on the field. I think the squad named can play and might advance with a couple breaks, but that is dependent on not giving away the ball in their own end and putting pressure on the final third. The history of guys not named Dempsey, Bradley, Johnson, and Zusi in creating that pressure isn't good.

The pressure on the ball coming out of the back will be immense, it's our Achilles heel.

And the US has always been a Top 5 hockey power (Canada, Finland, Russia, Sweden, US?) and in soccer they are not (yet). Unless the opponents we play all pass out at halftime (Ghana won't, Brazil won't, etc.), this could be problematic as the US does not have the skill depth at this point to keep a top 10 player off the team because a combination of fitness (other coaches have said Donovan was not the best; but, not the worst of the 30) and personality differences.

Unlike some, I can see reserving a spot for Green on the 23 man team for 2014 as he can add spark and it will give him experience as it appears he may be one of the keys to the 2018 team. That said, I would take Parkhust's experience and flexibility on the flanks over Yeldin. I would also have swapped Goodson for Brooks as the US central defense will need another big, experienced body off the bench when the inevitable yellow card suspension hits us as it does every World Cup and Brooks has not impressed me to date. I am not sure who I would have swapped Donavan for; but, I want his experience in big games there, even if he only plays the first 75 minutes and then subs depending if the US is ahead or behind or comes on as a spark when a goal is needed. The later I think is Wondo's role on the team.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
And the US has always been a Top 5 hockey power (Canada, Finland, Russia, Sweden, US?) and in soccer they are not (yet). Unless the opponents we play all pass out at halftime (Ghana won't, Brazil won't, etc.), this could be problematic as the US does not have the skill depth at this point to keep a top 10 player off the team because a combination of fitness (other coaches have said Donovan was not the best; but, not the worst of the 30) and personality differences.

Unlike some, I can see reserving a spot for Green on the 23 man team for 2014 as he can add spark and it will give him experience as it appears he may be one of the keys to the 2018 team. That said, I would take Parkhust's experience and flexibility on the flanks over Yeldin. I would also have swapped Goodson for Brooks as the US central defense will need another big, experienced body off the bench when the inevitable yellow card suspension hits us as it does every World Cup and Brooks has not impressed me to date. I am not sure who I would have swapped Donavan for; but, I want his experience in big games there, even if he only plays the first 75 minutes and then subs depending if the US is ahead or behind or comes on as a spark when a goal is needed. The later I think is Wondo's role on the team.

Based on your premise, Davis or Bedoya.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yesterday proved he can be pushed around though. Don't forget Atletico was missing Costa who I think is their top scorer.

Right, he was invisible yesterday. And the way he celebrated his meaningless PK was embarrassing. Portugal is a 1 man team, if we can get a repeat of yesterday we have a good shot to beat them.

Reaction Score
Refs will be huge and don't think that Renaldo won't get the Michael Jordan treatment. Yesterday proved he can be pushed around though. Don't forget Atletico was missing Costa who I think is their top scorer.
Absent Costa, but also coming off a La Liga championship week, resulting festivities, fiestas, and, perhaps fewer siestas.

Setting that aside, obviously Real Madrid is not a one-man team nor for that matter is Portugal. To believe the latter, requires ignoring fact. Ideally, the US beats Ghana, Portugal, and Germany, then advances onward. That would be a great way of shutting up all the whining. Don't care who starts, plays, or finishes games for the US, just win!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Setting that aside, obviously Real Madrid is not a one-man team nor for that matter is Portugal. To believe the latter, requires ignoring fact.

Portugal had to win a playoff against Sweden to get into the World Cup. In two games, who scored all their goals?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Portugal had to win a playoff against Sweden to get into the World Cup. In two games, who scored all their goals?

My God, you really don't know anything about soccer, and yet continue to comment on it! First of all, let's put aside for a moment the fact that Sweden is a quality side who would easily qualify for the WC if they were in CONCACAF and they happen to have one of the top 10 strikers (arguably) in the entire world. Let's just focus on Portugal's "one man team":

Real Madrid: Ronaldo, Coentrao, Pepe
Valencia: Pereira, Costa
Monaco: Moutinho
Manchester United: Nani
Lazio: Postiga
Dynamo Kiev: Veloso
Zenit: Neto
Wolfsburg: Vieirinha
Fenerbahce: Miereles, Alves
Besiktas: Almeida
And a bunch of domestic players at big clubs like Benfica and Sporting.

Look, I think we have a puncher's chance against Portugal, just like when we beat them 3-2 in the WC. But the idea that this is a "one man team" and that we only have to worry about Ronaldo is a ridiculous notion that is only held by ridiculous people...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The media commentary around the world is fairly humorous and almost across the board the sentiment is that leaving LD out is insane.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yeah great article. He isn't going to take anyone on 'faith'. So I guess the guy from the German fourth division is there on something else...

Wondo is in great form... you know scoring in the same league that Donovan scored twice and had an assist in yesterday.

The guys on the bench fill roles? Which one fills the scores goals in World Cups role?

The articles that defend Klinsman while ignoring the obvious personal issues are what actually set me off originally in this thread.

It's personal. Now it might work out, but God please stop with the rationalization. You want to make the team? Play professionally in Germany.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My God, you really don't know anything about soccer, and yet continue to comment on it! First of all, let's put aside for a moment the fact that Sweden is a quality side who would easily qualify for the WC if they were in CONCACAF and they happen to have one of the top 10 strikers (arguably) in the entire world. Let's just focus on Portugal's "one man team":

Real Madrid: Ronaldo, Coentrao, Pepe
Valencia: Pereira, Costa
Monaco: Moutinho
Manchester United: Nani
Lazio: Postiga
Dynamo Kiev: Veloso
Zenit: Neto
Wolfsburg: Vieirinha
Fenerbahce: Miereles, Alves
Besiktas: Almeida
And a bunch of domestic players at big clubs like Benfica and Sporting.

Look, I think we have a puncher's chance against Portugal, just like when we beat them 3-2 in the WC. But the idea that this is a "one man team" and that we only have to worry about Ronaldo is a ridiculous notion that is only held by ridiculous people...

I agree that Portugal is a lot more than a 1 man team. the problem is with all of that talent, they have not been able to play like a team for the last several Cups and have crashed out earlier than expected each time. And I absolutely cannot stand Ronaldo, who I swears spend half of the Cup thinking he is on the Italian team dropping to the ground at the slightest contact and then barking to the refs begging for a foul.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I agree that Portugal is a lot more than a 1 man team. the problem is with all of that talent, they have not been able to play like a team for the last several Cups and have crashed out earlier than expected each time. And I absolutely cannot stand Ronaldo, who I swears spend half of the Cup thinking he is on the Italian team dropping to the ground at the slightest contact and then barking to the refs begging for a foul.

Hey, hey...easy on the Italian team! ;) Besides, the Portuguese national team practically INVENTED diving. They are the Greg Louganis of the soccer world.

As for how strong Portugal's team is; don't mistake not being able to put all the pieces together with the fact that they will be the unquestioned favorite in the game against us. Like I've said before, we have a puncher's chance in that game. It's too bad that we don't play them first, because I think they will be more difficult to deal with after their game against Germany. I'd hate for them to find their stride before playing us. I hope my boy Dempsey hangs 3 on them...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The articles that defend Klinsman while ignoring the obvious personal issues are what actually set me off originally in this thread.

Everything sets you off.

Reaction Score
Yeah great article. He isn't going to take anyone on 'faith'. So I guess the guy from the German fourth division is there on something else...

Wondo is in great form... you know scoring in the same league that Donovan scored twice and had an assist in yesterday.

The guys on the bench fill roles? Which one fills the scores goals in World Cups role?

It's personal. Now it might work out, but God please stop with the rationalization. You want to make the team? Play professionally in Germany.

You are just being a whiny bitch now. Good grief, who knew you were such Donovan fanboi as well lol.

I am way more excited to see Julian Green ride the pine than Donovan. And you need to just admit that he is off form. I don't care if he scored two goals in MLS yesterday. That means nothing.

Julian Green is a Bayern Munich property, which is all of the validation you need. He will be a star in the Bundesliga between now and the next WC.

Reaction Score
Hey, hey...easy on the Italian team! ;) Besides, the Portuguese national team practically INVENTED diving. They are the Greg Louganis of the soccer world.

As for how strong Portugal's team is; don't mistake not being able to put all the pieces together with the fact that they will be the unquestioned favorite in the game against us. Like I've said before, we have a puncher's chance in that game. It's too bad that we don't play them first, because I think they will be more difficult to deal with after their game against Germany. I'd hate for them to find their stride before playing us. I hope my boy Dempsey hangs 3 on them...

Yeah, we need them in game 1, like in 2002. They clearly we're not ready for us. That year they had Figo, who was the player of the year,the year prior and they were considered a favorite to win the whole shebang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom