OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone think a 3-1-4-1-1 would work for us. It would assume playing man against two strikers with a roaming sweeper and that the outside wings can go full field, but it gets most of our attackers on the field.

Howard
Goodson Gonzales Besler
Cameron
Zusi Jones Bradley F.Johnson
Dempsey
Altidore

You could sub LD or AJ for Jozy and move Dempsey forward or sub Donovan for Johnson or Zusi.
Beasely will play LB. He gives up some on Defense, but played most of career at Midfield I think. He can add punch to Offense.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't have the problem with Beasley at LB that others have. He's been the full 90 starter every time he's been available.

Reaction Score
Oh, there will be a World Cup - I disagree there, but it will be absolutely insane.

Germans have built their own secured compound, beachside resort with soccer fields, pools, indoor athletic facilities, everything. There is airfield to transport them in their own charter by air about 10 miles away and they will be flying to each venue, to minimize road travel mess. They are giving it to the Brazilians when the cup is over.

First time ever a national team has ever done something like that, and if there was a time, Brazil in 2014 makes sense.

U.S.A. squad will be traveling with tight security of the special forces genre.

http://www.spiegel.de/international...-team-builds-camp-for-world-cup-a-938942.html

Wait until Qatar, I bet the US team will be camped at Al-Udeid Air Base with US Central Command. Still have no idea how a desert country with a population the size of Rhode Island is hosting the Cup in the middle of the summer over the US or Australia. Oh wait, the gas price at my local station went up 15 cents right after that announcement, never mind.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Watched the 30for30 first episode tonight.

Klinsman is a cold bast*rd. I like him.

I'm not the savviest fan, but in my opinion Bradley is the best player the US has had.

Donovan is great, he couldn't have come off better in his interviews.

The draw really dampens the enthusiasm for me. It's knockout in game 1 and even if they win they still probably need another result. Brutal.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Final 23, no Donovan. Which by itself isn't as huge as it will play, but considering who is added in his place, Green, Evans, Wondolowski, it's downright mindboggling. We now have a left side midfield core of Davis/Green/Bedoya? or "nothing any of our opponents need to worry about so they can double Bradley.

Even worse in my view is leaving off both Goodson and Parkhurst. Goodson from the matches I watched was the most steady central defender and that includes Besler, though Besler played more often, against better competition, and is the clear #1. Brooks? was the biggest disaster to set foot on the back line this cycle and that included Orozco. If some of these guys see the field it's going to be a very long (meaning short) three games.
Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This isn't Klinsmann's first run around in the World Cup, as a player or a coach and I don't second guess him at all. Klinsmann didn't go and recruit young dual citizenship guys like Julian Green and Aron Johannsson so they can sit on their asses at home. Donovan, I bet, signed his ticket to his couch with Klinsmann over a year ago when he made it very clear that he wasn't committed to soccer. You don't got to the world cup with a single bit of doubt on who and how you got there.

I think this is a roster that can compete, it appears to me to be well balanced b/w experience and youth, which is something that hasn't happened in the past, but they will need their A game, for every minute of every match from everyone to get enough points to get out of the group stage.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I think he plans to rotate defenders amongst the three games to keep them fresh, Chandler/Johnson/Beasley on the wings, Besler/Gonzales/Cameron in the middle. I can't see Brooks or Yedlin playing unless we're already out of it against Germany.

Midfield will be Jones/Bradley with ugh, Beckerman seeing some time if Jones gets carded or as fresh legs. I don't see Mix playing except in the event of a Bradley injury. Outside is a complete mess after Zusi starting on the right side. None of these guys have given any hint that they can play at this level. All the guys I thought would be replacements in the starting XI for Donovan are playing on defense or at forward (Johnson, Johannsson, Dempsey) I'd play Johnson and Beasley on the left as an interchangeable pair before I'd put any of the other guys out there.

Davis is slow, Bedoya can run but isn't skilled enough going forward, Green is a complete unknown, yet you will likely see all of them. They best be defense first or it could get ugly.

JK went all in on the Germans and his opinion of their upside. All this talk of form turned out to be BS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watched the 30for30 first episode tonight.

Klinsman is a cold bast*rd. I like him.

I'm not the savviest fan, but in my opinion Bradley is the best player the US has had.

Donovan is great, he couldn't have come off better in his interviews.

The draw really dampens the enthusiasm for me. It's knockout in game 1 and even if they win they still probably need another result. Brutal.

Oh ye of little faith. We punked Portugal before when they had Luis Figo. We can do this.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

OK, Donovan drama is over until someone tweaks a knee in the next two weeks and he goes all Willis Reed on Portugal. Thoughts on Starting XI vs. Ghana?

What I think we will see
Howard
Chandler Gonzales Besler Johnson
Jones Bradley
Zusi Demspey Davis
Altidore

Subs: Green for Davis, Wondo for Altidore, Beckerman for Jones

What I would like to see
Howard
Chandler Cameron Besler Beasley - This is where JK blew the selection beyond LD, if Goodson (or even Parkhust) is on the squad, Cameron is RB and Goodson plays CB and Chandler plays LB.
Zusi Jones Bradley Johnson - I think Johnson is better up front than in back.
Dempsey Altidore

Subs: Johannsson for Altidore; or Beasley (Johnson to LB) and Wondo for Altidore

As you can see, I have little faith in what JK brought on the bench for tactical subs. So many wasted spots.

Many of these guys are destined to cough up the ball in a bad spot (Beckerman, Brooks, Green, Yedlin) are easily knocked off the ball (Diskerud, Wondo, Bedoya); are too slow (Davis); or are too often caught ball watching (Gonzales, Chandler, Brooks, who is the worst pick by far).

This looks like the attacking squad JK said he wanted, hopefully they can cover themselves or it could get ugly.

Reaction Score
I would rather attack and lose than trying to counter. Press the attack; be fitter; wear them down. Should be interesting. Hope I can stay up late enough Tuesday night to see the first episode.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
If you're not watching the UCL final, you are missing out right now on some world class play.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you're not watching the UCL final, you are missing out right now on some world class play.

World class play and second-rate announcing. Gus is atrocious. He should do the right thing and quit soccer after this game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This isn't Klinsmann's first run around in the World Cup, as a player or a coach and I don't second guess him at all. Klinsmann didn't go and recruit young dual citizenship guys like Julian Green and Aron Johannsson so they can sit on their asses at home. Donovan, I bet, signed his ticket to his couch with Klinsmann over a year ago when he made it very clear that he wasn't committed to soccer. You don't got to the world cup with a single bit of doubt on who and how you got there.

I think this is a roster that can compete, it appears to me to be well balanced b/w experience and youth, which is something that hasn't happened in the past, but they will need their A game, for every minute of every match from everyone to get enough points to get out of the group stage.

Yeah Klinsman's son made his fathers' agenda pretty clear.

With a few days to reflect not having Donovan on the 23 is pure insanity.

You can cliche this until you are blue in the face. Not having Donovan on the roster is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
World class play and second-rate announcing. Gus is atrocious. He should do the right thing and quit soccer after this game.
That's old school thinking. Given equal talent you always take the younger guy, especially in the sweltering heat. Johansson is legit next level. Green practices with what is arguably one of the best clubs in the world. Wondo for all the bad stuff said about him just scores goals. So who was going to go if he stayed that's the question. For me it would be like the Yankees keeping Jeter just to have his farewell at each park. The guys who worked the hardest over the last two years are on the team and deserved it no matter what you think about Landon.

The Italian coach is calling for time outs because of the heat in Brazil. We need the 23 fittest guys. Not sure that Landon fit in to the plan.

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/...prandelli-calls-world-cup-outs-brazil?cc=5901

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This idea that we need the 23 fittest guys is also insane. How fit does one need to be to never enter a game?

Seriously having 23 guys with the same strengths is just stupid.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
What's his agenda?

Waquoit, I like Klinsmann, but it's very clear that there was a personal issue between him and Donovan. There is very little doubt in the minds of most at this point. Even my father, who almost doesn't recognize that soccer is being played in the US (because it's Italy or nothing), heard the story and came to the same conclusion.

This happens in Italy all the time. Unlike Italy, however, the US doesn't have equivalent talent in the 24th best player and the 3rd best player. That's the shame of this story...

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Waquoit, I like Klinsmann, but it's very clear that there was a personal issue between him and Donovan. There is very little doubt in the minds of most at this point. Even my father, who almost doesn't recognize that soccer is being played in the US (because it's Italy or nothing), heard the story and came to the same conclusion.

This happens in Italy all the time. Unlike Italy, however, the US doesn't have equivalent talent in the 24th best player and the 3rd best player. That's the shame of this story...

There have been some rumblings that the dismissal of the assistant coach a couple weeks back may have been about who to put on the squad, specifically LD and a few others vs. these young kids that have zero accomplishments. I'm starting to get the impression that SoCal Klinsmann likes to surround himself with yes men.

Now Herb Brooks had the same traits and that turned out OK, but I keep coming back watching to gaffe after gaffe from a lot of players who will be seeing important time on the field. I think the squad named can play and might advance with a couple breaks, but that is dependent on not giving away the ball in their own end and putting pressure on the final third. The history of guys not named Dempsey, Bradley, Johnson, and Zusi in creating that pressure isn't good.

The pressure on the ball coming out of the back will be immense, it's our Achilles heel.

Reaction Score
He values recent International experience. He did not like Donovan's sabbatical and time off from the game. He told him that he would have to work his way back on the team. Unless he was demonstrably better he was gone. Not starting against game in Mexico told you it was a done deal unless there was a miracle. Glad Klinsman is rocking the boat. More guys with international competition. Raise the level of the MLS. We can move from there. Otherwise we will always be just hoping to to get into the elimination rounds. Can't live in the past.

We will see how good a coach Klinsman is. Either way should be interesting.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
But what's the issue?

What do you think, that I sleep with Klinsmann?!? I don't have the specifics, nor does the press. However, there is very little doubt as to the type of issue. And the type of issue is "personal"...

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
He values recent International experience. He did not like Donovan's sabbatical and time off from the game. He told him that he would have to work his way back on the team. Unless he was demonstrably better he was gone. Not starting against game in Mexico told you it was a done deal unless there was a miracle. Glad Klinsman is rocking the boat. More guys with international competition. Raise the level of the MLS. We can move from there. Otherwise we will always be just hoping to to get into the elimination rounds. Can't live in the past.

Int'l exp??? Green has this is large amounts? Davis? Brooks? Yedlin? Wondo? Bedoya? The sabbatical was two years ago. Raising MLS is teriffic, but this is the WORLD CUP. In the immortal words of Chuck Neiderman, "I don't think now is the best time to make sure everyone gets to play."

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Can't live in the past? Values recent international experience?? C'mon, man. Look, I'm rooting for the USA, and I hope that Klinsmann's master plan works out, but the idea that Yedlin (2 intl caps) and Green (1 intl cap) and John Brooks (3 intl caps) have some great recent international experience is pretty laughable.

Unless of course you are just referring to the fact that some of the people on the roster play on second division (or at least second-rate) foreign teams. Then, I guess, I'll have to agree with you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom