OT: Best Northeast Beaches | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Northeast Beaches

Reaction Score
I've been thinking about heading down there for years. Any more details, thoughts?

OC is a great place for the ocean and the family. I go down with the guys for golf off summer months, but as far as family it's a great time. Plenty to do for the kids up and down the strip and around it. Kids boat ridea on a pirate ship to Assateague Island to dig up buried treasure while watching the wild horses or just drive to the island and walk around - so much more but it's also really crowded and traffic is tough mid summer. Younger single people also could have a blast with all the bars, (Seacrets is the best bar on the east coast bar none) and restaurants - parasailing, boat rides, nature hikes just a ton to do.

Reaction Score
Love Matunuk Oyster Bar, but the place gets crazy crowded at peak times. I heard they expanded recently and I haven't been there since then, but in years past we've increasingly had to time our visits there to avoid brutal waits--even for parking. TwoTen Oyster Bar is newer and nearby, and also very good. In our experience it has been more accommodating, but I like them both.

Love the Crabby Benny breakfast and Bloodies at the Ocean Mist.

Other great breakfast spots in the area are the Bluebird Cafe and Crazy Burger, which is also excellent for lunch.

Oh, and Brickley's for great ice cream.

Two Ten Oyster may be better as it's food is damn close and it's less crowded. But yes, The Matunuk Oyster is jam packed by 5-6 need to go really early to beat that police parking pointing to you for parking. Breakfast is really good at the Mist, amazingly enough. Will try Brickley's at some point.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Cape Cod National Seashore is the best beach in the northeast.

Napatree is not far behind especially when driving time comes into play.
Agreed about the Cape Cod ocean beaches as I live in Truro, however you would be travelling a long way only to potentially find your beach closed for a few hours due to shark sighting which has been happening with greater frequency as our seal population takes off.

Reaction Score
Oh man there's one I didn't expect to see. Spent many a summer there, it could be the hottest week of the entire year in the dead of July yet the water will still be bone chilling cold. It's a great beach and the water is super clean and clear, but it's like standing in a tub of ice water.

Maine beaches are the best places to be in 90+ weather. The beer does not need an ice cooler. Neither do you.

Reaction Score
Some of the beaches I visited this summer that I liked:

1. Misquamicut during the week (it wasn't crowded, the sand was beautiful), water was warm, and the waves were rolling in.
1A. Watch Hill: went to beach by the Carousel, got bored and headed to Misquamicut.
2. Second Beach, Newport: day after Misq, smaller more frequent waves, really fine sand that was a pain in the butt (just gets everywhere), but really nice beach overall.
3. Horseneck Beach, Westport, MA on a weekend: beautiful beach and scenery, coarse sand and fine pebbles, I liked it, but regulars said it gets typically windy on that point (not much wind that day).
4. Old Silver Beach, Falmouth: we were on a private beach, empty of people, but the sand was beautiful, but the water really calm.
5. Plum Island Beaches: giant beaches with huge dunes and nice sand, good walking beaches. Water isn't as cold as the cape around Provincetown, etc. Up near the canal, the beach is spectacular and so is the swimming, but you get a whiff of gas from the boats too often. Lower down near all the homes and the national preserve, the water gets deep quickly and loses its charm for children.
6. Hammonasset Beach in Madison: it is just fine, water is murky though. Went on a weekday. Nice waves.

Reaction Score
I was going to say stay away from Narragansett... and that was before today. We went there 2-3 years ago forba family vacation. $20/person/day just to get on the beach. Pass. Parking would have cost more but we were within walking distance. Brown,packed sand, no surf and not much room. Eye candy was average.

r u all talking about Wheeler Beach??

Reaction Score
Just returned from the Cape. Been to OCMD, MV also this summer. All have great beaches. My favorite drive destination beach is still Cahoon Hollow in Wellfleet home of the Beachcomber. It is an active crowd. Paddleball, volleyball, can jam, and just about every other outdoor activity you can think of. It was about as crowded Saturday as I've ever seen it. It was great. Sunday saw one fourth that crowd. If you haven't been there the bar sits atop the second highest dune on the east coast. Outdoor bar, raw bar and tables along with indoor tables. The ocean is cold but the rest makes up for it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And if you run into a certain former UConn football coach who happens to be a frequent customer, try not to berate him too much . . .
Walt Nadzak?

Reaction Score
Dirty, commercial, hot . . .

If you're going to that area, try Bethany Beach instead.
@CL82 agreed. If you're going to do Ocean City you may as well stay in Fenwick Island, DE which is on Ocean Highway (just the less trashy end).

Id also recommend Bethany, DE which is more like the Cape (much nicer and quieter than OC). I love Bethany, personally.

Both are close enough to go into Ocean City whenever you want if there's something particular you want to do there.

Reaction Score
Especially because seals are a lot faster in the water than a human is.

Seals also maybe smarter than human in the water, too. While not dealing with sharks as it took place in the Pacific, this little guy had the right idea with a Orca or two chasing him. Now, the idiots taking pictures of the Orca's planned dinner on the egde of the boat, less so. Orcas can jump out of the water and could have also bumped the boat hard enough to knock the guy over. Then, the Orcas get a much larger, slower meal.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's possibly the worst food oasis in the country.

Clam cakes/fritters are crimes against humanity: "Hey, let's fill doughnut holes with rubber bands and erasers! Yum!"

And don't get me started on "sheet pizza" or "party pizza." Pizza should sue Rhode Island for defamation just for abusing its name and image in such a vile and damaging manner.

Reaction Score
Not too far from Charlestown, RI off the East Matunuk exit on Rt 1 go to the Matunuk Oyster Bar restaurant the best in the area, maybe the best in RI. I am also right down the road may be there with my wife or if we dont feel like driving we all to The Ocean Mist at Matunuk/South Kingston Beach - enjoy your weekend. This is not at all far from Narragansett.[/QUOT

godparents had cottage right on matunuck beach road .i remember going there back when it was called carpenters and there was an actual beach to play volleyball on

Reaction Score
headed to york maine after labor day ,staying right on long sands beach. im guessing ill just be dipping my toes in the water cause of the coldness but it looks like a nice place

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some of the beaches I visited this summer that I liked:

1. Misquamicut during the week (it wasn't crowded, the sand was beautiful), water was warm, and the waves were rolling in.
1A. Watch Hill: went to beach by the Carousel, got bored and headed to Misquamicut.
2. Second Beach, Newport: day after Misq, smaller more frequent waves, really fine sand that was a pain in the butt (just gets everywhere), but really nice beach overall.
3. Horseneck Beach, Westport, MA on a weekend: beautiful beach and scenery, coarse sand and fine pebbles, I liked it, but regulars said it gets typically windy on that point (not much wind that day).
4. Old Silver Beach, Falmouth: we were on a private beach, empty of people, but the sand was beautiful, but the water really calm.
5. Plum Island Beaches: giant beaches with huge dunes and nice sand, good walking beaches. Water isn't as cold as the cape around Provincetown, etc. Up near the canal, the beach is spectacular and so is the swimming, but you get a whiff of gas from the boats too often. Lower down near all the homes and the national preserve, the water gets deep quickly and loses its charm for children.
6. Hammonasset Beach in Madison: it is just fine, water is murky though. Went on a weekday. Nice waves.

I'm a fan of Old Silver. If you stay at the Seacrest they set our your chair and umbrella and can bring you drinks from the bar, or food. Live music most afternoons at the outdoor bar by the saltwater pool. Warm water in Buzzards Bay. Some days there is a little surf. The private beaches are north of the Seacrest. The public one south gets crowded on weekends.

I also give a thumbs up to Bayview/Mayflower in Dennis. Great beaches.

The Cape Cod National seashore beaches are (a) beautiful (b) a little tough to get to and (c) cold as hell (water), often with rough surf breaking straight on the beach, which has a steep drop off in most cases. Then there are the sharks. Make sure you have the Sharktivity App on your phone.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
godparents had cottage right on matunuck beach road .i remember going there back when it was called carpenters and there was an actual beach to play volleyball on
Roy Carpenter's Beach cottage community is still there. A good friend's family has had a cottage there for decades; although I think they had to rebuild in recent years because of the beach erosion.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's possibly the worst food oasis in the country.

Clam cakes/fritters are crimes against humanity: "Hey, let's fill doughnut holes with rubber bands and erasers! Yum!"

And don't get me started on "sheet pizza" or "party pizza." Pizza should sue Rhode Island for defamation just for abusing its name and image in such a vile and damaging manner.

My daughter goes to middle school in RI. We have friends who's family owns a well known Italian Deli place that makes the sheet pizza and lots of other stuff. I'm pretty much with you on the sheet pizza. They also put it out at events at my daughter's school. No thanks.

Clam fritters are made worse by the massive calorie count. Anything that bad for you should taste much, much better.

Reaction Score
Roy Carpenter's Beach cottage community is still there. A good friend's family has had a cottage there for decades; although I think they had to rebuild in recent years because of the beach erosion.
Carpenter's corn!!!!!!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Latigo Beach. Nice point break. Long, workable rides.

Reaction Score
I've always liked Nauset Beach off of Cape Cod. I think it's in Orleans.
It is. Another option close to Nauset is on the bay side of Orleans and Brewster. Nice bay beach but at low tide you can walk out a half mile. Great for little kids or beach walkers. If in the area you might tra Nickerson State Park and Flax Pond or one of the other ponds. Water is crystal clear with sandy bottoms. I take my dirty dog dog there for 3 days of swimming and he looks great...miracle water...LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom