OT: Best Northeast Beaches | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Northeast Beaches

Reaction Score
Well I'm leaving Chatham today and didn't get eaten by a shark (water was very cold though) so I guess I'm out of the shark death pool. However I did get engaged up hear near the lighthouse at Lighthouse Beach this wknd so maybe that counts for something?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Well I'm leaving Chatham today and didn't get eaten by a shark (water was very cold though) so I guess I'm out of the shark death pool. However I did get engaged up hear near the lighthouse at Lighthouse Beach this wknd so maybe that counts for something?
Congrats!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was there with the kids yesterday. Surf was great, sand is very fine powder (as evidenced by the residue in the laundry after washing the towels), cost $8 per person to get in, kids under 11 are free. It was a bit crowded and they kept moving the swimmers and wave boarders over to accommodate the surfers as numbers grew. Parking near the beach was $5 but we parked on the street a bit away for free. One thing I liked was the surfing lessons they offer. It was amazing watching these 10 year old kids paddling out and then riding decent waves all the way to the shore. I would rate Narragansett the best beach I've been to in the Northeast. There are some good ones on the Cape to but many I've been to had too much seaweed. I've been to Newport Beach and don't care for it. The two times I've gone, the kids hated it because if think seaweed and brown colored water (could have been seasonal thing due to seaweed). Virginia Beach is a favorite of ours.

To each their own. Glad you enjoyed the beach there. Ironically enough one of my kids' complaints was the first day we went to the beach there was a bunch of red seaweed that had made its way to the beach. Kids looked at the place said it was a dump and went to the hotel and played in the pool and hot tub all day.

I lived in Va Beach for 8 years. Very good beach environment. Lots of sand, good surf usually. If I were making a recommendation I would say try to make your way to Sandbridge which is about 10 miles south of the main strip. Same water, no commercialization. (If you are fortunate enough to have access to military bases, the Navy base at Dam Neck in Va Beach is fantastic).

Reaction Score
Come across the river to walnut. Quite technically out of town :D. You can park at my house for free. Go to walnut beach creamery and if your feeling adventurous walk out to Charles island.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So, where did you go Kita, and how was it?

Reaction Score
When we take a day trip to the beach, Misquamicut is the only place we go. To be honest, I have never spent a day at any of the CT beaches. Id like to check out the beach in Old Lyme because I hear good things about it, but whenever that comes up, we just decide to drive the extra 45 mins to Rhode Island. All the beaches ive been too on Cape Cod are nice, but my favorite is the Jersey Shore. Brigantine, which is a small island next to Atlantic City has a great private beach you have access to if you stay at the hotel thats right on it.

Reaction Score
So, where did you go Kita, and how was it?
Charlestown Beach in RI. Was relaxing on a hot day. We've been there before and my wife wasn't willing to take chances, even after I showed her all of your suggestions. The water was warm, weather scorching, but the beach was not overcrowded and the waves were good, somewhat mellow.

Going to explore the suggestions with an overnight trip next month, so we can hit the beach first thing in the morning. These are the types of threads (including restaurants) that I save and definitely refer to when I want to impress her.

Funny story but she always raises an eyebrow when I take her to a Boneyard suggestion, wondering how I knew about the place.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Thinking about soaking the remaining poison ivy in some salt water, putting down the blanket and hoisting an umbrella. Relaxation, some swimming, music (headphones) and reading all day. In Stratford we have 3 beaches but the Mrs wants to go out of town.

What beach do you guys like or frequent?

My needs are easy:
1. Not too crowded
2. Public bathrooms, for the Mrs of course.
3. Nice views (not talking boats) ;)
4. Grills (optional)
5. Hopefully clean water (as possible here) and beach area

Looking for a day in the sun, RI, or CT. Of course I know all towns charge for access therefore I'm coming to you guys, especially if my cheap arse has to pay.

Was thinking Hamonasset but they tend to get crowded and Sherwood Island is always flooded with New Yorkers.
live half mile from Ballston Beach in Truro on the Cape. We got hammered during the winter, but it is a great beach. Seals and their nemesis great whites are starting to take over though

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Just got back from Westerly. I have never had trouble parking in Watch Hill but it was completely full before 10 a.m. today.

So we ended up at Misquamicut. My first time there in 30 years. What a giant clusterfark.

Brutal traffic. Overcrowded beach. The seaweed on the beach stank.

If you are thinking about heading there, take a day off and go mid-week. (It was not my decision to go today.)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
UConnMike04 said:

Congrats.

Also it's early yet, they are just making their way up the coast. End of July through August/ September is when they make it to the cape in great numbers.
They were in North Carolina a few weeks ago creating havoc, ( 7 attacks in two weeks! Yikes)this week they are being spotted of New Jersey.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
1) If you want to go in the water, don't go to a CT beach. Unless you want to step on a tampon applicator or wade around human waste to the point you have an itchy rash.

2) if you're a little adventurous and not that cheap, I second the National Seashore and Wellfleet/Beachcomber trip. Try to grab a weeknight on the cheap at a hotel.

3) For the ride time and cost, Narragansett is a solid call. Especially in August with some of the tourist crowd out of the way. And a trip to Aunt Carries to end the day is a must. http://www.auntcarriesri.com

Reaction Score
South Beach on the Vineyard. Can't do a day trip as it's a haul to get there. Nothing else is like it in NE.

Reaction Score
Vineyard is nice and some southern Maine beaches are OK but cold.

Fly to bermuda and hit Warwick Long Bay or church beach.(you can be on the beach in under 6 hours)

Reaction Score
Just got back from Westerly. I have never had trouble parking in Watch Hill but it was completely full before 10 a.m. today.

So we ended up at Misquamicut. My first time there in 30 years. What a giant clusterfark.

Brutal traffic. Overcrowded beach. The seaweed on the beach stank.

If you are thinking about heading there, take a day off and go mid-week. (It was not my decision to go today.)

I'm not much for Misquamicut because I think it's dumpy. Turns out, though, that everyone descended there yesterday because one of the beaches in Narragansett was closed.

Reaction Score
I want to like CT beaches, and I've been giving them second chances for the better part of two decades now, but holy mackeral are they disgusting during the summer. The water (stuff floating in it), the trash on the beaches, etc.

Reaction Score
Grew-up on Silver Sands in Milford, close by; but, the best cleanest water around. Spent days in high school, sometimes during high school, at Hammonasset and Misquamicut. Have a college friend who was from Westhampton out on Long Island (did say Northeast beaches, not New England), nice beach; but, too many beaches are private and exclusive. Not a big fan of that culture. After college, spent a lot of time around Boston. Coast Guard Beach on the Cape is my favorite and my second is Crane Beach in Ipswich. I proposed to my wife during a Harvest Moon on Plum Island out by Newburyport and we used to take a dog during the off season to Salisbury Beach, which is in between Plum Island and Hampton Beach (NH). Hampton and Revere Beach, which is just outside of Boston are interesting culturally. Spent more time recently in Scarborough Maine, which are really nice, not too crowded beaches; but, they water rarely gets above 65, even in August. A few weeks back, took the family to Wildwood Crest. Huge beach, which spreads crowds around, good waves, and the craziness of the Wildwood Boardwalk is only a 5 minute car ride or 30 minuet walk away. They all are difference, meeting different needs.

Reaction Score
I lived in CT for 50 + years and most of it was in a coastal town. Let's be frank. CT beaches suck. RI are a little bit better. Cape Cod National Sea Shore is very nice. Personally,as far as the east coast, I'll take the beaches of the Carolinas. Just gorgeous and, aside from Myrtle Beach, they are not very crowded. I'm sure some FL beaches are nice but I just do not like FL.

Reaction Score
In Rhode Island, I love the Charlestown Breachway (but a very small parking lot so must get there early) and the East Matunuck State Beach, which has great facilities, a large beach, and restaurants/pier/ice cream all within walking distance

East Matunuck is great. And Matunuck Oyster Bar afterwards is great. I find Charlestown gets too crowded. Scarborough generally too breezy/windy.

Reaction Score
Yup, do yourself a favor, jump on a plane and fly South.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom