OT: Best Northeast Beaches | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Northeast Beaches

Reaction Score
Great article. I wonder if the great whites are tagging and naming us.

One of the big ones tagged off the Cape was roaming around the Wildwoods in Jersey back in May. Nothing like knowing there's a 16 foot, 3,500 lbs shark about a mile from the beach where my kids and I go swimming.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/05/08/massive-great-white-shark-tracked-off-wildwood-coast

That big girl gets around going from Cape Code to Bermuda and then up and down coast between Georgia and New Jersey.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm pleased and happy to repeat the news that we have, in fact, caught and killed a large predator that supposedly injured some bathers. But, as you see, it's a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time. Amity, as you know, means "friendship".

Reaction Score
I've got to defend the CT beaches. Now I wouldnt vacation here but some of the beaches are great place to spend the day or a few hours. Towards the end of the summer the water gets a bit warm and a lot of seaweeds and crap but I live in Milford and love going to Ft Trumbull during the week especially at low tide. Better than living in the Midwest that for sure

Reaction Score
I've got to defend the CT beaches. Now I wouldnt vacation here but some of the beaches are great place to spend the day or a few hours. Towards the end of the summer the water gets a bit warm and a lot of seaweeds and crap but I live in Milford and love going to Ft Trumbull during the week especially at low tide. Better than living in the Midwest that for sure

The scenery at Sherwood Island in Westport was usually pretty good in the summer.

Reaction Score
CT has a pretty shoreline with the rocky islands and inlets lining the coast. The beaches are nothing to write home about but are fine for a quick visit with the kids.

Reaction Score
After watching shark week I think I will be sticking with pools.

Reaction Score
One of the big ones tagged off the Cape was roaming around the Wildwoods in Jersey back in May. Nothing like knowing there's a 16 foot, 3,500 lbs shark about a mile from the beach where my kids and I go swimming.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/05/08/massive-great-white-shark-tracked-off-wildwood-coast

That big girl gets around going from Cape Code to Bermuda and then up and down coast between Georgia and New Jersey.

I was at White Horse beach in Plymouth last summer swimming in the water a week before one took a bite out of that girl's kayak. She was damn lucky. Knocked her out and then took a chomp out of the boat instead of her. Don't go kayaking where the seals are supposed to be.

Reaction Score
I was at White Horse beach in Plymouth last summer swimming in the water a week before one took a bite out of that girl's kayak. She was damn lucky. Knocked her out and then took a chomp out of the boat instead of her. Don't go kayaking where the seals are supposed to be.

Especially because seals are a lot faster in the water than a human is.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Especially because seals are a lot faster in the water than a human is.

Out of all the lifeforms that ever go in to salt water, humans are by far the least able to defend themselves from attacks.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'm pleased and happy to repeat the news that we have, in fact, caught and killed a large predator that supposedly injured some bathers. But, as you see, it's a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time. Amity, as you know, means "friendship".

Mayor Vaughn: "Fellows let be reasonable, huh. This is not the time to perform some kind of half-assed autopsy on a fish......and I'm not going to stand here and have that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill all over the dock"

Reaction Score
If they'd let us whack the seals in Chatham the shark problem would be reduced. My family has had a place there for like 70 years or something and those seals blow. Foul the bass fishery and bring in the Sharks.. The Sharks weren't as pronounced a few decades back. I try and avoid going in the summer because it's a mess but when I do I just cringe at the goofy Chatham/shark rubbish for sale.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Requirements for a good beach.

An ample supply of good looking women wearing 2-piece bikinis is so integral it doesn't get numbered. It just is.

1. Loose and fine grain sand. You need to be able to bury your toes in without much effort up to your ankles.
2. Beer and booze allowed in cans and containers- no glass.
3. Fresh water showers readily available near the parking lot.
4. When I get in to water up to my hips, I want to be able to see my toes.
5. Minimal cigarette butts. We know smokers are pigs who treat the world as their ash tray, but I prefer not to see it at the beach.
6. Clean bathrooms for the women. Men, the ocean is your toilet. Just remember the water tastes salty for a reason.
7. Parking some semblance of organization with clear in/out paths.
8. Good lifeguards
9. Gradual drop off in to the water. I don't want to be chest high 20' from the waterline.
10. Water temp of at least 75 degrees by June 15th.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If they'd let us whack the seals in Chatham the shark problem would be reduced. My family has had a place there for like 70 years or something and those seals blow. Foul the bass fishery and bring in the Sharks.. The Sharks weren't as pronounced a few decades back. I try and avoid going in the summer because it's a mess but when I do I just cringe at the goofy Chatham/shark rubbish for sale.
Agreed. I liked better when the National Seashore belonged to the people and Striped Bass, not the seals and the sharks.

Reaction Score
In RI, I like Scarborough the best. It's not as crazy, busy as Misquam with good facilities and parking. The water is warmer than the Cape with better waves than the sound.

Going on Saturday with wife, getting there before noon. First timer and will be there for about 5 hours. Hope to be snoozing/lounging and picnicking.

I know its going to be crowded but where's a generally good location to 'claim'?

Also when's the best time to arrive to claim?

If it exists, looking for a spot away from the waves (so if high tide I don't have to move) and typically away from the foot traffic.

Reaction Score
Scarborough Beach in ME with younger kids, RI with teens, now Nantucket. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.

Reaction Score
In RI, I like Scarborough the best. It's not as crazy, busy as Misquam with good facilities and parking. The water is warmer than the Cape with better waves than the sound.

Going on Saturday with wife, getting there before noon. First timer and will be there for about 5 hours. Hope to be snoozing/lounging and picnicking.

I know its going to be crowded but where's a generally good location to 'claim'?

If it exists, looking for a spot away from the waves (so if high tide I don't have to move) and typically away from the foot traffic.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Can't speak to Scarborough, but if I or someone else hasn't mentioned it already, you should check out Blue Shutters Beach in RI. $20 to park, but 25-30 minutes closer than Scarborough, less crowded and very nice beach and facilities.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Try Ocean City, Md.
I've been thinking about heading down there for years. Any more details, thoughts?

Reaction Score
Can't speak to Scarborough, but if I or someone else hasn't mentioned it already, you should check out Blue Shutters Beach in RI. $20 to park, but 25-30 minutes closer than Scarborough, less crowded and very nice beach and facilities.
Thanks we're spending Saturday night in Charlestown, so this may be the go to spot.

Reaction Score
Thanks we're spending Saturday night in Charlestown, so this may be the go to spot.

Not too far from Charlestown, RI off the East Matunuk exit on Rt 1 go to the Matunuk Oyster Bar restaurant the best in the area, maybe the best in RI. I am also right down the road may be there with my wife or if we dont feel like driving we all to The Ocean Mist at Matunuk/South Kingston Beach - enjoy your weekend. This is not at all far from Narragansett.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Make sure you hit The Bakery on Sunday morning then. And get there early; the most popular selections are sold out by mid-morning on busy days.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking about heading down there for years. Any more details, thoughts?

Dirty, commercial, hot . . .

If you're going to that area, try Bethany Beach instead.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not too far from Charlestown, RI off the East Matunuk exit on Rt 1 go to the Matunuk Oyster Bar restaurant the best in the area, maybe the best in RI. I am also right down the road may be there with my wife or if we dont feel like driving we all to The Ocean Mist at Matunuk/South Kingston Beach - enjoy your weekend. This is not at all far from Narragansett.
Love Matunuk Oyster Bar, but the place gets crazy crowded at peak times. I heard they expanded recently and I haven't been there since then, but in years past we've increasingly had to time our visits there to avoid brutal waits--even for parking. TwoTen Oyster Bar is newer and nearby, and also very good. In our experience it has been more accommodating, but I like them both.

Love the Crabby Benny breakfast and Bloodies at the Ocean Mist.

Other great breakfast spots in the area are the Bluebird Cafe and Crazy Burger, which is also excellent for lunch.

Oh, and Brickley's for great ice cream.

Reaction Score
Make sure you hit The Bakery on Sunday morning then. And get there early; the most popular selections are sold out by mid-morning on busy days.

And if you run into a certain former UConn football coach who happens to be a frequent customer, try not to berate him too much . . .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom