OT: Augusts Tech Tips® | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Augusts Tech Tips®

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I just looked at this and it looks like just a regular calendar app. What's so good that would merit a 4.99 purchase? What am I missing?

well for one, in regard to Toms specific need, the reminders and calendar entries sync.

the natural language translation for entries is amazing.

Its very easy to use and intuitive unlike many calendar apps.

Its the best all around calendar app for Iphones by far.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Password managers for MacBook and iPads - do they do a better job than what apple provides with the cloud, and password rememberer?

I'm tired of the way apple products work. Some sites and browsers have the auto fill thing pop up, some don't.

August_West

Reaction Score
Password managers for MacBook and iPads - do they do a better job than what apple provides with the cloud, and password rememberer?

I'm tired of the way apple products work. Some sites and browsers have the auto fill thing pop up, some don't.

I use LastPass on all my devices (PC,Mac, Pads, Phone) works good for me.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Does it work only for browsers? Seems more and more sites are coming up with their own login thing, and isn't part of safari.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Yup. Same for me with Windows/Android. Best I've found in terms of usability. I've got a couple hundred passwords, so I have no choice but to use one.

Does it work only for browsers? Seems more and more sites are coming up with their own login thing, and isn't part of safari.

The desktop/laptop version works in the browser, incl-- incl Safari--as an extension/addon/plugin, and it is free. You need the paid version for phones. But it's worth the money. Proof is in the product.

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
Works for ecerything

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Yup. Same for me with Windows/Android. Best I've found in terms of usability. I've got a couple hundred passwords, so I have no choice but to use one.

The desktop/laptop version works in the browser, incl-- incl Safari--as an extension/addon/plugin, and it is free. You need the paid version for phones. But it's worth the money. Proof is in the product.
Seems like the tech guys are on the same page - I've been using Lastpass for at least 5 years. Great product.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Here's one for the Android users. Airdroid

Really cool app that syncs your phone to your computer so you can get and receive texts on your regular computer and you can drag and drop files to transfer things over your wifi network instead of having to plug in a USB cable to load pictures. You can check your call logs. It's free for limited use (only so many texts or files) but I think it's 500 or something so not extremely limiting.
Do you dump/delete those 500 to make room for new text... I got the app on my phone and laptop, it's very handy for text. Hopefully there will be some cross coverage with iPads some time in the near future

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Seems like the tech guys are on the same page - I've been using Lastpass for at least 5 years. Great product.

Do I have to remember every password in order to set this up? Also, the paid version doesn't show up in the App Store.

August_West

Reaction Score
Do I have to remember every password in order to set this up? Also, the paid version doesn't show up in the App Store.

No, you can add as you go

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

You can access the premium version by going to lastpass.com and clicking 'go premium' on the menu. . There used to be an in-app purchase option, but at the time I checked, it wasn't auto renew, so I never used it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I need a power strip with surge protection and a breaker in case I'm drawing too much. Most seem to come with six to eight plugs, but are configured in a way that there isn't enough room to plug in even half that number of devices. I basically need four plugs with enough room to plug in things as large as an iPhone charger, and air conditioner plug. The power converter cube thing for each device takes up too much space.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I need a power strip with surge protection and a breaker in case I'm drawing too much. Most seem to come with six to eight plugs, but are configured in a way that there isn't enough room to plug in even half that number of devices. I basically need four plugs with enough room to plug in things as large as an iPhone charger, and air conditioner plug. The power converter cube thing for each device takes up too much space.
Be prepared to spend. Check audio/video quality line conditioners. About $100 for 8 sockets. Spacious enough for adapters.

Reaction Score
Kind of a tech tip question: I want to put in an outdoor security light. The area only gets 1/2 a day of sunlight, so solar may not work. Are there outdoor lights, with motion detection, that use batteries. My concern is the batteries working in the winter.

Just bought these on sale a week ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01