OT: Augusts Tech Tips® | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Augusts Tech Tips®

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
A new tech tip for Samsung phone owners. Get Samsung Pay and load your credit cards. So much easier to pay this way. It's funny - about half the time I use it the cashier will just be amazed and comment on how cool it is.

First caveat: Get Samsung Pay, not Google Wallet and if you are an iphone user, you'll have to use Apple pay but from what I've read, Samsung Pay is far more likely to work than either of the other two.

Second caveat: You can't leave your cards at home - you still need them at restaurants and I've yet to get mine to work at a gas pump.

Reaction Score
Has its own power source? And does it matter that old one is likely running windows 95?
A little late to this - but yes, it does have its own power source. I like it because it has a physical dock. So I can throw a 3TB internal drive in it and have it sit nice and neat behind my monitors.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Samsung Pay has an advantage over the other two in that uses MST in addition to NFC; if the merchant has a swipe machine, including gas stations and restaurants, Samsung Pay should work. (Provided your bank supports it.) Apple Pay works at Exxon/Mobil pumps, but you need the Exxon app and that's not ideal.

I rarely use the Samsung phone, (prefer the iPhone), but I have gotten fond of paying with my phone. Or better, the Apple Watch. Bump the terminal with your wrist and it's done. Amazing how many merchants do not realize that it can be done - once in a while, some cashier calls over a coworker to make sure it went through.

If you subtract the iPhone revenue from Apple, you have a company the size of Google. Given that they added about $11B their cash pile in a bad quarter, I suspect they will somehow muddle through, especially given that they are on the 'tock' cycle in terms of iPhone releases.

VR is this year's 3D televisions - none of us will ever sit in our living room wearing an Oculus Rift. AR might eventually be something, but these headsets are going nowhere.

Tech tip - if you have a Windows computer and you don't want to update it to Windows 10, get a utility called Never 10. Microsoft has been absolutely scummy lately in tricking people into upgrades and it has caused havoc on several of our office computers - I've used Never 10 on the computers that absolutely should not be upgraded and it has worked like a charm.

Steve Gibson's Never 10 Helps You Turn Off the Windows 10 Upgrade - Thurrott.com

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Commies work for the good of the people

Damn right, the good commies, anyway. August can perform exorcisms of little demons from computers. And play guitar and sing. And slice non-turkey meat. And he roots for the Huskies. A true "Renaissance Commie."

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Damn right, the good commies, anyway. August can perform exorcisms of little demons from computers. And play guitar and sing. And slice non-turkey meat. And he roots for the Huskies. A true "Renaissance Commie."

Ha. Does that mean that little sucker hasnt shown back up yet?
Thats good news. Glad to help.

August_West

Reaction Score
Tech tip - if you have a Windows computer and you don't want to update it to Windows 10, get a utility called Never 10. Microsoft has been absolutely scummy lately in tricking people into upgrades and it has caused havoc on several of our office computers - I've used Never 10 on the computers that absolutely should not be upgraded and it has worked like a charm.

Steve Gibson's Never 10 Helps You Turn Off the Windows 10 Upgrade - Thurrott.com

Thats an excellent tip. I know some people bit by that.

By the way, Steve Gibson (as Im sure you know if you are referencing him) is the man, and has been since the dawn of the internet. Ive been using his (via GRC) security testing freeware and services since the late 90's. One of the greats.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't have a need for much of his stuff anymore - but things like OptOut, Perfect Passwords, Shields Up, etc., etc., were timely and so useful back in the day. (As is Never 10 today....)

Once in a while, I'll listen to a podcast he does on security - it's excellent.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Please explain to me what good iCloud is when it takes hours for pictures on my iPhone to show up on my iPad.

Is there a trick I don't know about?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
VR is this year's 3D televisions - none of us will ever sit in our living room wearing an Oculus Rift. AR might eventually be something, but these headsets are going nowhere.

I suspect it'll end up being just a gaming add on more than anything else, like motion controllers. Every system has one, there's some fun games for them but they aren't going to replace anything. The other thing is the headsets really are dirt cheap to produce. What's a small LED screen and a motion controller chip cost? $20-30? So every gaming system will probably have one, gamers will over pay for them, they'll be a few decent games for them... and that's about it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I suspect it'll end up being just a gaming add on more than anything else, like motion controllers. Every system has one, there's some fun games for them but they aren't going to replace anything. The other thing is the headsets really are dirt cheap to produce. What's a small LED screen and a motion controller chip cost? $20-30? So every gaming system will probably have one, gamers will over pay for them, they'll be a few decent games for them... and that's about it.

That's my thinking as well.

At some point, you'll get one free if you buy a PlayStation 5 at BestBuy.

The rest of us will try it once, think the roller coaster demo is really cool and then never use one again.

August_West

Reaction Score
Please explain to me what good iCloud is when it takes hours for pictures on my iPhone to show up on my iPad.

Is there a trick I don't know about?

Well the usual reasons for a slow sync are the following.

ICloud photos from your phone wont sync immediately if
1) You are not connected to wifi
2) your battery is below a certain percentage

I would hazzard a guess that one of those criteria is slowing you down

August_West

Reaction Score
That's my thinking as well.

At some point, you'll get one free if you buy a PlayStation 5 at BestBuy.

The rest of us will try it once, think the roller coaster demo is really cool and then never use one again.
Speaking of VR. I went on the Superman coaster at 6 flags last week ( which is always totally badass anyway) but now they have the option of wearing a vr headset while you ride . It was pretty awesome.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

You guys are under selling this. The future of VR is huge. The ultimate killer app for VR is in the pr0n industry. Virtual reality sex is going to be one of the most lucrative businesses of all time.

Virtual reality will be used for things like sports training and military fighting applications. It's potential as a training simulator is limitless.

VR is not there yet, but it will be.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
You guys are under selling this. The future of VR is huge. The ultimate killer app for VR is in the pr0n industry. Virtual reality sex is going to be one of the most lucrative businesses of all time.

Virtual reality will be used for things like sports training and military fighting applications. It's potential as a training simulator is limitless.

VR is not there yet, but it will be.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I think we're reacting to the current wave of VR products. I think we're still at the Apple Newton/Atari Portfolio level of VR. Gaming is going to be the primary market, and it's going to be a niche, for awhile.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My internet signal is dropping several times a day,

1). How do I know if it's the modem or the wireless router?

2). Any suggestions for a new wireless router?

Reaction Score

I've found it is almost always the modem (if it is from a cable provider). I call, tell them it isn't working right. Usually they say "wow, I can't believe you still have that model!" like it is totally incredible that the piece of junk lasted 3 years. Then they say, are you able to install you own? I say yes, go pick it up in Newtown, install it myself and I am good to go. Until it craps out in three years and I do it all over again..
*Edited to add, they don't charge you to replace it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

If you need to replace your modem: Costco Wholesale

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Is there a way to have reminders with dates show up in the calendar.

e.g. Create a reminder for an appointment, and have it show up on the designated date in Calendar.

This is for Reminders and Calendar on an iPhone.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Kind of a tech tip question: I want to put in an outdoor security light. The area only gets 1/2 a day of sunlight, so solar may not work. Are there outdoor lights, with motion detection, that use batteries. My concern is the batteries working in the winter.

August_West

Reaction Score
Is there a way to have reminders with dates show up in the calendar.

e.g. Create a reminder for an appointment, and have it show up on the designated date in Calendar.

This is for Reminders and Calendar on an iPhone.

Not natively.

If this is something you really envision using a lot and essential for you then I recommend downloading the fantastical app . It does exactly what you are asking and will be the best 4.99 you ever spent

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not natively.

If this is something you really envision using a lot and essential for you then I recommend downloading the fantastical app . It does exactly what you are asking and will be the best 4.99 you ever spent

Will the app sync with an iPhone and iPad?

I see Fantastical app 2 for iPad, and one for the iPhone.

August_West

Reaction Score
Will the app sync with an iPhone and iPad?

I see Fantastical app 2 for iPad, and one for the iPhone.

Yes. If your reminders and cal entries already sync across those devices they will sync in fantastical. It uses the same accounts. So if your current reminders and calendar items are for example icloud based you use your same account info in fantastical

Reaction Score
Not natively.

I just looked at this and it looks like just a regular calendar app. What's so good that would merit a 4.99 purchase? What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom