OT: Augusts Tech Tips® | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Augusts Tech Tips®

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Has its own power source? And does it matter that old one is like running windows 95?

If it's that old it might not be a SATA hard drive so you probably need one that does EIDE/IDE so the ORICO one probably wont work. If you're not sure what kind of drive you get you should look at something like this kit out there for $10 that's branded by a bunch of companies.. It's a little messy, but it works with everything.. I've got it.. works for me. Some of these cheap kits are DOA, but if you get it from Amazon shouldn't be much of an issue.

I have about 20 more old hard drives I need to go through... heh... moving everything to a couple of newer NAS boxes. I'm debating if I should move all my pictures and video off site as well. The wife would hate to lose the stuff (and I would hate to lose the stuff because I'd have to listen to the wife.) Anyone use a good (and cheap) cloud/backup service?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Tom, just mho but - stop messing around. It will take you a long time to do this, assuming you get to the point of understanding all the issues! AW offered to handle it - sometimes its better to let the experts do it. I agree with AW as well, you have put in far too much of your time money and energy, so let us help when we can!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If it's that old it might not be a SATA hard drive so you probably need one that does EIDE/IDE so the ORICO one probably wont work. If you're not sure what kind of drive you get you should look at something like this kit out there for $10 that's branded by a bunch of companies.. It's a little messy, but it works with everything.. I've got it.. works for me. Some of these cheap kits are DOA, but if you get it from Amazon shouldn't be much of an issue.

I have about 20 more old hard drives I need to go through... heh... moving everything to a couple of newer NAS boxes. I'm debating if I should move all my pictures and video off site as well. The wife would hate to lose the stuff (and I would hate to lose the stuff because I'd have to listen to the wife.) Anyone use a good (and cheap) cloud/backup service?

Carbonite still the cheapest out there if you are just interested in maintaining backup.

Dropbox if you want accessibility.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Tom, just mho but - stop messing around. It will take you a long time to do this, assuming you get to the point of understanding all the issues! AW offered to handle it - sometimes its better to let the experts do it. I agree with AW as well, you have put in far too much of your time money and energy, so let us help when we can!

There is a slight chance there are some things on the HD he may not be old enough to see.

(I've got a bunch of stuff from school, including ed plans. [yes, teachers do a lot of work at home]. I'd rather work on it myself)

August_West

Reaction Score
There is a slight chance there are some things on the HD he may not be old enough to see.

(I've got a bunch of stuff from school, including ed plans. [yes, teachers do a lot of work at home]. I'd rather work on it myself)
its fine.

Iminds cable will do the trick

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

I've used outside services before to recover old files, was assuming aw wouldn't divulge anything, but I get it! (My wife is a teacher)

August_West

Reaction Score
I've used outside services before to recover old files, was assuming aw wouldn't divulge anything, but I get it! (My wife is a teacher)

I wouldnt even look at it. Data trust is the very first baseline in IT. We have the keys to everything but looking at stuff you shouldn't gets you immediately to the unemployment line. Last job I was at before my current one, a young IT guy couldnt keep his nose out of the salary spreadsheet. He told one friend in the tech support department and buy lunchtime everyone knew and he was walked out the door.

Buts its all good..... Tom can absolutely handle this. Just figured Id offer.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Id really like to get the 1998 thru April 1999 up for viewing. Thats my goal for the summer. I'll tap AW for help if I can't get it done by August (picked the month for obvious reasons).

EDIT: It's not just recovering the files (i think i have the entire server in one zip file). It's getting the old "Matt Wright's script" to work, along with the chat script.

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not really a tech tip but ... I keep getting a pop up on my iPad saying I need to verify my Apple ID. I'm not sure how a phishing attempt would know my Apple ID, which is correct in the pop up. But to verify my ID I have to enter my password.

Anyone else getting this pop up?

August_West

Reaction Score

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Here's one I can't figure out.

Any reason why for some people tweets don't embed, or fully embed?

My best guess,matter spending hours on the problem, is it's is on the user's end, probably their browser.

With that said, I have the same problem, but it goes away as quick as it appears.

August_West

Reaction Score
Any help from anyone would be appreciated. I have gotten a "PUP" called "crossrider" that I have not been able to get removed completely and it keeps coming back . I have followed the steps suggested in the links below, but no lasting success.

MalwareTips.com blogs /adware-crossrider-virus/

PUP.Optional.CrossRider.A - Virus Lists and Removal Steps

Thanks!

1) it is a little bit of a pain in the butt in what it does (redirects, ads, popups) but it is not a very malicious virus, you are not in any grave danger with that one.

2) I can get rid of it for you but it is kinda of a multilayered process and most likely will require some manual registry key removals. If you are not familiar with the registry (most people arent) I dont recommend touching it.

3) Id be happy to log in and remove it for you, shouldnt take that long. Would just require a teamviewer or gotomy PC session. It would be much easier on both of us than me typing out a decision tree with you in real time.

If you are up for that sometime, let me know. Always happy to help out a friend..

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
1) it is a little bit of a pain in the butt in what it does (redirects, ads, popups) but it is not a very malicious virus, you are not in any grave danger with that one.

2) I can get rid of it for you but it is kinda of a multilayered process and most likely will require some manual registry key removals. If you are not familiar with the registry (most people arent) I dont recommend touching it.

3) Id be happy to log in and remove it for you, shouldnt take that long. Would just require a teamviewer or gotomy PC session. It would be much easier on both of us than me typing out a decision tree with you in real time.

If you are up for that sometime, let me know. Always happy to help out a friend..
Wow, I wasn't expecting such an offer of help like that. That is really nice of you. Let me start a "conversation" or whatever it is called.

August_West

Reaction Score
Wow, I wasn't expecting such an offer of help like that. That is really nice of you. Let me start a "conversation" or whatever it is called.
Sure

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
He's one for the hardware expert:

I have the hard drives from three old computers that have been retired. On one, possibly two, is the contents of the 'yard from 1998 to late '99, and possible the various other times were were not with a network. All posts and chat logs.

What the easiest way to access this info? I'd need to use a ten year old laptop, or a new(er) MacBook Pro.
Go to Best Buy, purchase a HD transfer cable. Transfer data to portable drive or cloud. Return said cable to best buy, get money back. Destroy HD's. You will never use the cable again and there is no sense spending money on it.

August_West

Reaction Score
Oh since I'm in this thread. August's review of WWDC:

Meh

There is nothing new and exciting in the world of Apple this year. Ooh I can get Siri on my computer now! Yawn

Apple watch such a bust it's now marketed as a fitness device. Yawn

No new hardware . Yawn

Ooh but supersized emojis now!
Jesus.

Reaction Score

Meh

There is nothing new and exciting in the world of Apple this year. Ooh I can get Siri on my computer now! Yawn

No new hardware . Yawn

Jesus.

So...do you think Apple just advance SO fast, SO quickly the expectation is that every update needs to be groundbreaking? If you asked 1,000 people how they'd improve the iPhone, I would imagine the suggestions would be dumb.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Meh

No new hardware . Yawn

Jesus.
Card carrying Apple fanboy here. :)

Why would you expect hardware announcements at WWDC?

Rejoice, haters of stock Apple apps - you will be able to delete them. Indeed there was much rejoicing.

I'm not in to the Apple Watch, but if that's your bag, things are gonna load a lot faster. Yay?

Apple finally is developing a Home app to centrally operate all your HomeKit IoT devices. As I have a few, this will be a big usability improvement instead of jumping from app to app.

Small but useful : copy/paste will work across devices.

As for more geeky stuff : HFS+ has been put on notice, to eventually be replaced by a new APFS file system across devices in 2017. Not a big deal to most, but I like that it's designed with encryption built in.

August_West

Reaction Score
So...do you think Apple just advance SO fast, SO quickly the expectation is that every update needs to be groundbreaking? If you asked 1,000 people how they'd improve the iPhone, I would imagine the suggestions would be dumb.

They haven't asked me.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Meh

No new hardware . Yawn

Jesus.
Apple is about to find itself in a precarious position. Yes, they have oodles of money in the bank and they aren't in any danger like they were 12 years ago. But the smartphone market has slowed down extensively with 1) phones being more than good enough to last several years so most people don't need to get the newest one every year and 2) lots of Chinese companies producing good enough products to fill the demands of less rich countries. It's not that the iphone isn't good, but one generation to the next is no longer enough to upgrade and there are lots of alternatives to siphon off sales.

The bad part for Apple is the iphone is at least 60% of revenue. When your cash cow suddenly slows the production of milk, there are going to be ramifications. They are really going to need to innovate the next great thing (may be home automation - but there's a lot of established competition there), otherwise they are going to start eating into that bundle of money. The stock has been on a steady downward trend for a year and there's nothing known in the pipeline that one would expect to prop that up.

They had an amazing ride with the ipod and iphone, but times are about to get tougher as those boutique items become more commodity based.

And unfortunately for them, Steve Jobs ain't walking back through the door to revamp them again.

They aren't going away, but they will cease to be the huge company they became.

August_West

Reaction Score
Card carrying Apple fanboy here. :)

Why would you expect hardware announcements at WWDC?

Rejoice, haters of stock Apple apps - you will be able to delete them. Indeed there was much rejoicing.

I'm not in to the Apple Watch, but if that's your bag, things are gonna load a lot faster. Yay?

Apple finally is developing a Home app to centrally operate all your HomeKit IoT devices. As I have a few, this will be a big usability improvement instead of jumping from app to app.

Small but useful : copy/paste will work across devices.

As for more geeky stuff : HFS+ has been put on notice, to eventually be replaced by a new APFS file system across devices in 2017. Not a big deal to most, but I like that it's designed with encryption built in.
DIcmhrH.gif

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Apple is about to find itself in a precarious position. Yes, they have oodles of money in the bank and they aren't in any danger like they were 12 years ago. But the smartphone market has slowed down extensively with 1) phones being more than good enough to last several years so most people don't need to get the newest one every year and 2) lots of Chinese companies producing good enough products to fill the demands of less rich countries. It's not that the iphone isn't good, but one generation to the next is no longer enough to upgrade and there are lots of alternatives to siphon off sales.

The bad part for Apple is the iphone is at least 60% of revenue. When your cash cow suddenly slows the production of milk, there are going to be ramifications. They are really going to need to innovate the next great thing (may be home automation - but there's a lot of established competition there), otherwise they are going to start eating into that bundle of money. The stock has been on a steady downward trend for a year and there's nothing known in the pipeline that one would expect to prop that up.

They had an amazing ride with the ipod and iphone, but times are about to get tougher as those boutique items become more commodity based.

And unfortunately for them, Steve Jobs ain't walking back through the door to revamp them again.

They aren't going away, but they will cease to be the huge company they became.

Yup, in a nutshell, everyone else has caught up (and in some cases surpassed) them, and there aren't any ground breaking devices around the corner (as they don't seem to be players in the VR game). The iphone/ipad/ipod aren't anything special anymore.

Not only that, but for a while, their items were a status symbol, almost luxury. They are now commonplace, so they don't even have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom