OT - 2015 Coaching Carousel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - 2015 Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
J187Money said:
But if anyone is moving up it isn't them.

That was my point. We have a real chance. They do not.

I hope there is some talk of a much improved tv contract that would buy all of us more time but I can't imagine there is.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, how much money do we really NEED from TV in order to keep operating the program at this level?

If it is $5M/year, I'm not saying it is peanuts, but I would imagine with all of the increased focus on fundraising, etc. that we aren't going to drop down or do anything crazy over that amount of money. We will find it. Clearly the goal is to go get the big money in the ACC/B1G, but I don't believe for a minute that if we are in the AAC for the next 5 years that we are going to hire a $400k coach next time.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, how much money do we really NEED from TV in order to keep operating the program at this level?

If it is $5M/year, I'm not saying it is peanuts, but I would imagine with all of the increased focus on fundraising, etc. that we aren't going to drop down or do anything crazy over that amount of money. We will find it. Clearly the goal is to go get the big money in the ACC/B1G, but I don't believe for a minute that if we are in the AAC for the next 5 years that we are going to hire a $400k coach next time.

I agree that we aren't going to hire a $400K coach in the next few years but the cost of keeping up with the P5 is going to go crazy in the upcoming years.

Because of autonomy they will start paying stipends to athletes, offering insurance benefits, guaranteeing scholarships, offer more than 1 official visit to recruits, provide some form of travel expenses to families to allow them to see their son/daughter play etc. This will just be the tip of the iceberg as the P5 will continue to look for ways to further separate themselves from the G5. UConn currently sponsors 22 men's & women's sports. How many total athletes would we need to potentially pay a $5000 stipend to every year in an effort to keep up? 300? 350? more? Do the math. 300 student athletes at $5000 per = $1.5MM. In essence we would need our entire AAC media contract to cover the cost of stipends only before you start adding in the other benefits costs.

Saying "don't worry, we will find the money" is like saying "don't worry, I'm going to win the lottery to solve my financial problems". There is no way UConn athletics survives long term if we do not get out of the AAC. I don't think many UConn supporters truly understand how dire our situation is.

Reaction Score
I agree that we aren't going to hire a $400K coach in the next few years but the cost of keeping up with the P5 is going to go crazy in the upcoming years.

Because of autonomy they will start paying stipends to athletes, offering insurance benefits, guaranteeing scholarships, offer more than 1 official visit to recruits, provide some form of travel expenses to families to allow them to see their son/daughter play etc. This will just be the tip of the iceberg as the P5 will continue to look for ways to further separate themselves from the G5. UConn currently sponsors 22 men's & women's sports. How many total athletes would we need to potentially pay a $5000 stipend to every year in an effort to keep up? 300? 350? more? Do the math. 300 student athletes at $5000 per = $1.5MM. In essence we would need our entire AAC media contract to cover the cost of stipends only before you start adding in the other benefits costs.

Saying "don't worry, we will find the money" is like saying "don't worry, I'm going to win the lottery to solve my financial problems". There is no way UConn athletics survives long term if we do not get out of the AAC. I don't think many UConn supporters truly understand how dire our situation is.

A couple of thoughts:

- I don't think we need to keep up with the P5. I think we need to be able to spend at the top of the G5, and then we need to "execute" better.

- If someone told you 10 years ago that the only way we would get a BB center and Soccer facility built would be to do so with 100% private donations, you probably would have told me they would never get built. The fact that they did shows that people care about UCONN and care about UCONN sports and are willing to put up money to help us compete. I'm not saying "don't worry we will find the money" out of ignorance. I'm saying it because I believe we can get the money we need. In addition, I believe that there is an appetite to fund athletics at the highest levels (within reason).

So I get the math - I just don't think we are going to give up as easily as a lot of you do.

Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts:

- I don't think we need to keep up with the P5. I think we need to be able to spend at the top of the G5, and then we need to "execute" better.

- If someone told you 10 years ago that the only way we would get a BB center and Soccer facility built would be to do so with 100% private donations, you probably would have told me they would never get built. The fact that they did shows that people care about UCONN and care about UCONN sports and are willing to put up money to help us compete. I'm not saying "don't worry we will find the money" out of ignorance. I'm saying it because I believe we can get the money we need. In addition, I believe that there is an appetite to fund athletics at the highest levels (within reason).

So I get the math - I just don't think we are going to give up as easily as a lot of you do.

I understand what you are saying about not giving up but the gap between P5 & G5 is going to become huge going forward. You say there is an appetite for funding athletics at the highest level within reason but the reality is that it will no longer be within reason. You can't look at the P5 vs G5 comparison today & assume it is going to stay the same. It is about to become massive difference in revenues. The P5 schools are about to receive a minimum of $50MM per conference from the playoffs. That means that schools like Rutgers & BC will receive a minimum of $3.5MM just in playoff money which is twice as much as the entire AAC ESPN contract pays each school.

Also, I believe that once the P5 get done hoarding all of the football cash for themselves they will come back for the hoops money as well. People will say "how can they ruin the whole March Madness tourney" but if they cared about rivalries & the average college fan they wouldn't have done what they have already done. They don't need to have a 64 (or 68) team tournament in order to be successful. They can run a 32 team tourney which will generate a huge pile of cash that they can keep all for themselves or they can use the same strong arm tactics that they have used with football and "allow" a small handful of non-P5 schools in to avoid litigation and keep the majority of the cash for themselves. They have no interest in sharing revenues with 128 schools. Either way, any school that is outside the P5 is screwed.

It's easy to sit here and say that UConn will always compete at the highest level because that's what we do but the reality is that the lack of revenues going forward is going to make it nearly impossible. Are we at the edge of the cliff today? No, but 5 years from now or certainly 10 years from now if we cannot get to the big boy table we will be

Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying about not giving up but the gap between P5 & G5 is going to become huge going forward. You say there is an appetite for funding athletics at the highest level within reason but the reality is that it will no longer be within reason. You can't look at the P5 vs G5 comparison today & assume it is going to stay the same. It is about to become massive difference in revenues. The P5 schools are about to receive a minimum of $50MM per conference from the playoffs. That means that schools like Rutgers & BC will receive a minimum of $3.5MM just in playoff money which is twice as much as the entire AAC ESPN contract pays each school.

Also, I believe that once the P5 get done hoarding all of the football cash for themselves they will come back for the hoops money as well. People will say "how can they ruin the whole March Madness tourney" but if they cared about rivalries & the average college fan they wouldn't have done what they have already done. They don't need to have a 64 (or 68) team tournament in order to be successful. They can run a 32 team tourney which will generate a huge pile of cash that they can keep all for themselves or they can use the same strong arm tactics that they have used with football and "allow" a small handful of non-P5 schools in to avoid litigation and keep the majority of the cash for themselves. They have no interest in sharing revenues with 128 schools. Either way, any school that is outside the P5 is screwed.

It's easy to sit here and say that UConn will always compete at the highest level because that's what we do but the reality is that the lack of revenues going forward is going to make it nearly impossible. Are we at the edge of the cliff today? No, but 5 years from now or certainly 10 years from now if we cannot get to the big boy table we will be

I think we are generally in agreement. I'm just saying we don't need to spend like Alabama. We just need to be able to spend/outspend the G5 programs, and I have to believe we can do that. And if we do that, and a seat at the table opens up, it should be ours. If you think we can't spend enough to be competitive with Cincinnati, then we are in trouble. I just don't think that is the case.

And BTW, if the apocalypse is coming, and we are on the outside, people are foolish to think that going 8-4 and winning the Beef O'Brady bowl is going to change that.

Reaction Score
Did Gators find their new coach @ CSU?

MattStephens 12:49pm via Twitter Web Client
Florida in final stages of negotiating Jim McElwain buyout noconow.co/1CFDXEE pic.twitter.com/jQCe1uhb58

MattStephens 2:14pm via Twitter Web Client
The flight Jeremy Foley arrived on will leave Fort Collins at 2:10 p.m.

MattStephens 2:21pm via Twitter Web Client
We don't have a passenger log for the charter flight. No promises McElwain is on it, but would be surprised if he and Karen weren't.

slmandel 2:33pm via TweetDeck
Official account. RT @GatorZoneFB: We’ve had very productive conversations with Coach McElwain and his wife Karen and those continue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If UF hires McElwain, I'm not saying it's a bad hire, but it's very underwhelming.

Reaction Score
Disappointing if that is where UF is headed. Having said that, I believe Warde was on several fictional flights last year

Reaction Score
All these coaching changes, anyone think Edsall is on a short leash at Maryland?

1st year: 2-10 (1-7) (just as bad as diaco)
2nd year: 4-8 (2-6)
3rd year: 7-6 (3-5)
4th year: 7-5 (4-4)

For all its troubles, BiG still stronger than ACC. MD's first year in the conf and it finishes 4-4 and gets a bowl. While Michigan doesn't.
I'd say that's not bad.

+ Upward trajectory in performance.

It's gonna be hard for MD to ever compete in the BiG-East. Realistically, who expects MD to finish ahead of Ohio St, Mich St, Mich, or Penn St on a regular basis? I'd say anything above 5th place is a good year. This year they're 3rd.

Reaction Score
Why are schools with little to no hope of moving up to higher paying conference paying football coaches $1,000,000-$2,000,000 per? Do they see some sort of payday on the horizon? We have exit fee money and big dreams. For Tulsa etc., it seems like they are paying for something that has no real ROI potential.
For the exact same reason UConn pays a decent salary and strives to be among the elite in college football. And.... Oklahoma has a hell of a bigger recruiting area than CT does. You could wrap up all the kids that play football in CT and stick them in ONE county of Oklahoma. And I'll bet ya the high school football being played in Oklahoma is much superior than what's being played in CT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not a "name brand" on east coast but solid background no?
4 years at Bama, a national championship or so, NFL experience, the offensive coach Florida targeted, a very impressive turnaround at Colorada State, and Florida reportedly paying a $7.5 million buyout ...

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I thought Riley was a legend in Corvallis and was there for life after his stint in San Diego. Surprising move.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members