OT - 2015 Coaching Carousel | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - 2015 Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't get how Tulsa is a popular opening....what exactly does it bring that makes it so attractive?

I think there's a Denny's for every 100 people.

Reaction Score
I used to go to Tulsa for work. Hated it. Can't imagine it as a favorable destination.

Reaction Score
I used to go to Tulsa for work. Hated it. Can't imagine it as a favorable destination.
Forget about favorable, having been to Tulsa a few too many times for work I can't even imagine it being a destination.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Baylor OC Phil Montgomery hired at Tulsa.
Will be interesting to see if the OC brings that high powered offense to Tulsa. Not sure who deserves the credit for that offense at Baylor, Briles or the OC, but it was definitely high octane.

Must say, all these AAC teams are bringing in big Offensive minded coaches. I'm a little bummed we have a Defensive minded one. Hopefully he can find an OC that will add to the same level of Defensive knowledge Diaco knows....If everyone wasn't jumping ship I'd almost say there is some hope that the AAC might be a decent conference moving forward capable of unseating the MWC as the best G5 conference.

Reaction Score
There's got to be a story soon about Wisc. They've lost 2 really good FB coaches in 3 years. To Arkansas and Oregon State. Too hard academically, not enough money to staff, facilities, other? And don't buy the I wanted to move closer to home - his home is Utah. Look at a map. that's like someone saying I took the UConn job to be near my family in the Carolinas.

Reaction Score
Pitt's Chryst to Wisconsin

That is such a Hathaway "safety hire" move from Alvarez. Must be gun shy about the next coach bolting again so he hires the "Wisconsin Guy" in Chryst who has underwhelmed at Pitt.

Reaction Score
Pitt's Chryst to Wisconsin

Hmmm....
BobLichtenfels 8:14am via Twitter for Android
If Chryst leaves #Pitt they should focus on #Fordham HC Joe Moorhead someone who would view it as a dream job not a stepping stone

BobLichtenfels 8:18am via Twitter for Android
Moorhead is a Pittsburgh guy who can recruit and his system fits the personnel that #Pitt has it would be a seamless transition.

BobLichtenfels 8:20am via Twitter for Android
Moorhead is well liked by local coaches and would put together a good staff of guys with local ties. Todd Orlando would be in mix as DC

Reaction Score
Hmmm....
If Chryst leaves #Pitt they should focus on #Fordham HC Joe Moorhead someone who would view it as a dream job not a stepping stone

Moorhead is a Pittsburgh guy who can recruit and his system fits the personnel that #Pitt has it would be a seamless transition.

Moorhead is well liked by local coaches and would put together a good staff of guys with local ties. Todd Orlando would be in mix as DC

Just shoot myself in the face.

Reaction Score
Hmmm....

If Mooreland does go to Pitt, it's well deserved, he has been great at Fordham.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Jaysus, our conference just got much more offensive. Morris to SMU. Montgomery to Tulsa. I expect Houston to go offensive too. Has anyone seen what Tulsa is paying Montgomery? I just searched and couldn't find contract details.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Moorhead to Pitt would be an extremely safe hire too. Pitt can't keep a coach longer than 1-2 years and they will likely prioritize "safe" on their list of criteria in their search.

Reaction Score
There's got to be a story soon about Wisc. They've lost 2 really good FB coaches in 3 years. To Arkansas and Oregon State. Too hard academically, not enough money to staff, facilities, other? And don't buy the I wanted to move closer to home - his home is Utah. Look at a map. that's like someone saying I took the UConn job to be near my family in the Carolinas.

I am starting to read this as Alvarez is the issue. The guy is a legend at Wisconsin, is still there as the AD, and is even going to 'temporarily' step in as head football coach for the Badger's Bowl game. I wonder if he ever left. It would similar to if Calhoun replaced Hathaway a the UConn AD after UConn had picked someone outside 'the club' to be the new basketball head coach. Imagine having Calhoun looking over your shoulder as your boss?

Dooley

Reaction Score
I am starting to read this as Alvarez is the issue. The guy is a legend at Wisconsin, is still there as the AD, and is even going to 'temporarily' step in as head football coach for the Badger's Bowl game. I wonder if he ever left. It would similar to if Calhoun replaced Hathaway a the UConn AD after UConn had picked someone outside 'the club' to be the new basketball head coach. Imagine having Calhoun looking over your shoulder as your boss?

EXACTLY right. I always cringe at posts that call for Calhoun as AD. His role as a top advisor is about as high as I'd like to see him inside the UCONN AD. If he were AD, we would likely see the same coaching carousel in hoops as we see at Wisconsin football. I think Wisconsin should think long and hard about cutting some of Alvarez's weight...even if it means some sort of well paid "voluntary resignation" deal.

Reaction Score

This will be the second time Alvarez has coached them in a bowl game in 2 years. He coached them in the Rose Bowl after Bielema bolted to Arkansas.

Reaction Score
Not sure about Mooreland but I have no issues w/ Moorhead either... class act.

Agreed. Moorhead is showing he can coach and has local ties so that would help recruit. If Orlando was hired as DC there as well as Moorhead, I think Pitt would be a pretty good team in a year or two.

Reaction Score
EXACTLY right. I always cringe at posts that call for Calhoun as AD. His role as a top advisor is about as high as I'd like to see him inside the UCONN AD. If he were AD, we would likely see the same coaching carousel in hoops as we see at Wisconsin football. I think Wisconsin should think long and hard about cutting some of Alvarez's weight...even if it means some sort of well paid "voluntary resignation" deal.

I disagree. Football at Wisconsin before Alvarez was pretty bad. From 1963 to 1992, Wisconsin had 5 seasons of a winning record in the Big 10. Alvarez was hired in 1990, and his first three seasons weren't great including 1-10 (0-8 in Big 10) in his first season. I think Alvarez figured out how to win at Wisconsin and coaches who follow the blueprint can win. You can win by having a strong run game and a good defense. You won't be successful at Wisconsin with a spread offense because they can not recruit the athletes.

I think Anderson left because he and his family prefer a small town lifestyle. The rumor is that he was called for a reference on the current Utah St coach and he surprisingly threw his name into the discussion.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I disagree. Football at Wisconsin before Alvarez was pretty bad. From 1963 to 1992, Wisconsin had 5 seasons of a winning record in the Big 10. Alvarez was hired in 1990, and his first three seasons weren't great including 1-10 (0-8 in Big 10) in his first season. I think Alvarez figured out how to win at Wisconsin and coaches who follow the blueprint can win. You can win by having a strong run game and a good defense. You won't be successful at Wisconsin with a spread offense because they can not recruit the athletes.

I think Anderson left because he and his family prefer a small town lifestyle. The rumor is that he was called for a reference on the current Utah St coach and he surprisingly threw his name into the discussion.

Will these count as new job figures under Obama's watch?

That is funny if he was called for a reference and threw his name into the discussion - and sad.

Reaction Score
Surprised that no one posted the tweet about Diaco being a candidate at Michigan.

I can't find it now, but it was by a reporter. When I searched for Diaco, there were a bunch of posts about how dreamy he is from women, and I just stopped searching.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members