OSU edges ND | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OSU edges ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really don't think so. They knew how to defend her and she was not effective at all. She had a bad game and this was blown out. They probably wished she was in the game longer based on her 4-17 shooting.

Reaction Score
Reading thru all these posts it appears:

ND was notified during game warmups HH would need to remove the stud.

At the end of the 1st quarter, ND was notified HH could not return until she removed the stud

If true ND was given ample notice but HH did not remove the stud. Given HH comments after the game she may have chosen to ignore the warning as some kind of "statement", or maybe she tried but it was just too difficult. I will give the benefit of the doubt and accept the second option as more likely.

They refs noticed the stud hadn't been removed but waited until the end of the quarter to require the removal. I suspect the refs expected the removal to take just a minute or even seconds. I believe the refs were more than accommodating on the issue.

P.S. I didn't see the game and I am relying on comments I have read in this thread.

Reaction Score
Yes they are. It’s still unsafe to wear it playing basketball. The question is do you want to wear a fashion statement or play the game. It’s metal so take it out!!! Why is that even a discussion. The assistant coaches ought to be telling the players this.

Doesn’t Geno have a rule about large tattoos be covered? If you want to play for UConn, you cover that tattoo. He also doesn’t allowed names on back of jersey. These are rules that the players follow. Too many entitled players making a stink. Get over yourself kids…
If you think they are entitled now, wait a few more years for the full effects of NIL to kick in..

Reaction Score
Reading thru all these posts it appears:

ND was notified during game warmups HH would need to remove the stud.

At the end of the 1st quarter, ND was notified HH could not return until she removed the stud

If true ND was given ample notice but HH did not remove the stud. Given HH comments after the game she may have chosen to ignore the warning as some kind of "statement", or maybe she tried but it was just too difficult. I will give the benefit of the doubt and accept the second option as more likely.

They refs noticed the stud hadn't been removed but waited until the end of the quarter to require the removal. I suspect the refs expected the removal to take just a minute or even seconds. I believe the refs were more than accommodating on the issue.

P.S. I didn't see the game and I am relying on comments I have read in this thread.
I believe Hannah said that she asked an official before the game if she could cover it up. She got permission to cover it, but at the start of the second quarter they made her take it out.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
CD had a rule, not Geno, but apparently that rule, and anti-gum chewing one, were tossed because Nika has visible body art and chews gum while playing .
I read somewhere that the gum chewing was allowed for Nika. It calms her down and keeps her focused. I don't think she did it her Freshman year, maybe her Sophomore year.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe Hannah said that she asked an official before the game if she could cover it up. She got permission to cover it, but at the start of the second quarter they made her take it out.
If that is true, why didn't she state which ref said it was okay. I believe that the NCAA specifically stated that the rule was a point of emphasis starting in the Sweet Sixteen and all teams were notified of this in writing. So I blame ND for not having her take it out prior to play.

Reaction Score
UConn team rules are not NCAA violations. Wearing jewelry in contests is. Has been for basically forever. Look at her picture - ear rings out. Nose ring not. She clearly knew the rule and chose to break it. If refs are not calling the rule, especially after it being brought to their attention they should be fined or fired. They do not have the power to decide which rules to enforce. To make it fair there is 3 steps 1: warning. 2: removal from contest until violation is rectified. 3: disqualification for event. Don't like a rule? Get it changed. Happened in cross country where watches are now allowed.

Reaction Score
Another rule which to many would seem dumb is the fact that the uniform top must be tucked into the bottoms. You see players reminded usually during foul shot to tuck it back in. Why? So officials don't have to decide which tops are too short and which aren't. NCAA doesn't want bare midriffs.

Reaction Score
Nika has body art, not large tattoos. Didn’t Williams wear an arm sleeve to cover hers? Thought I saw her tattoo and she covered it.
Ayanna Patterson’s left arm has a large tattoo, that’s covered during games.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We are not discussing women’s appearance, clothes, or makeup.

Reaction Score
Yes ... at least according to a USAToday article: "Hidalgo said one of the officials told her during warm-ups that she would need to take it out. She asked if she could cover it instead and said she was told that would be fine. At the end of the first quarter, however, Hidalgo said she was told it had to be removed. "

I guess the official was overruled. Still I would say the officials tried to be accommodating.

Notre Dame star Hannah Hidalgo rips her forced timeout to remove nose ring

Reaction Score
If that is true, why didn't she state which ref said it was okay. I believe that the NCAA specifically stated that the rule was a point of emphasis starting in the Sweet Sixteen and all teams were notified of this in writing. So I blame ND for not having her take it out prior to play.
Also, maybe her coaches told her to remove it, but she was defiant, and did not remove it. Therefore, she suffered the consequences. Maybe, just maybe, her coaches will encourage her to follow the rules.

Reaction Score
You know Oregon St. was good before Oregon was, right? They got to a Final 4 before Ionescu ever stepped on campus. Met UConn in the semis.
That is not entirely true. Oregon was good before Oregon State was when the had Coach Runge then the administration checked out on the program and got stupid. Lavonda Wagner was a dumpster fire. So if your definition of good is only based on FF appearances then there are alot of crappy teams out there. That is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom