OSU edges ND | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OSU edges ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If H had the nose ring all year, why didn't we call her on it. Or is it on the refs to call it. What exactly is the rule she violated. You can have the long hair like Edwards, but not a little nose ring. Seems odd. can they wear pierced ears. Seems bad if that may have cost ND the game.
That’s not why they lost! Oregon State simply played better. It’s not like they simply made up the rule on the spur of the moment. I would guess they just did not notice the ring at first. Hidalgo lost any sympathy I might have felt when she said she was going to wear it again next year. Just because you got away with something for awhile doesn’t mean the rule simply goes away! I used to commute 60 miles to work for a full year. I often went over the speed limit but was never caught. However, if I had been caught, I wouldn’t have expected the patrol to let me go because I had gotten away with it many times. Apparently Ivey was warned before the game the the rule might be enforced! Wouldn’t you think she would simply say, “let’s take it out now just in case”?

Reaction Score
ALBANY, N.Y. – Hannah Hidalgo said it was “BS” she had to sit out for more than four minutes while her nose piercing was removed and said it disrupted her game.

Notre Dame’s All-America point guard has worn a diamond stud in the left side of her nose all season. “Head decorations, head wear, helmets, and jewelry are illegal,” according to NCAA rules, but it hadn’t been an issue until Friday’s Sweet 16 game against Oregon State.

Hidalgo said one of the officials told her during warm-ups that she would need to take it out. She asked if she could cover it instead and said she was told that would be fine. At the end of the first quarter, however, Hidalgo said she was told it had to be removed.

“I think it’s BS,” Hidalgo told USA TODAY Sports after Notre Dame's 70-65 loss. “They should have just let me play with it if that’s what they said.”

Hidalgo was 2 of 4 in the first quarter. She was 2 of 13 the rest of the way, and her 10 points and four field goals tied her season lows.

“It’s big,” Hildalgo said. “I’m on a run, I’m feeling good. To not (play) those five minutes and sit cold."

Reaction Score
So, here’s the nose ring in question. It’s not a hoop or something that could get pulled out, injuring her, but a tiny piece of jewelry. I’m not seeing an issue with it, TBH

View attachment 98475
The issues is that no jewelry is allowed. Has been a rule since I coached years ago. No less of a problem the the ear studs many like to wear. The rule is written the way it is so that it is not subjective. No ref has to decide what is ok and what is not. All are not. She is luckey she was not disqualified from the game. You get a warning then goodbye.

The real issue is why did the ND staff not stop this at the first game of the year. We had rules tests all the time. They had to know this and if chose to ignore it played an ineligible player all year. Where is the NCAA investigation. By the way covering something illegal is worse as it is an admission that you are trying to avoid a rule problem.
:D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hidalgo's "nose ring" looks more like a stud to me. But even though it's small, and not likely to be caught or pulled, I can understand why there is a rule against having it -- and that would be safety. What if she was hit in the face/nose? What might have happened to AE if she was wearing a stud in her nose when she broke her nose this past time? We'll never know for sure, but it's very possible that her nose injury could have been worse/more complicated.

What I find astounding is that Hidalgo apparently played all season with it. Rules (most of them, anyway) are in place for a reason. Are there that many refs, coaches, and players that don't know the rules? I admit that I didn't know -- but it's not my job to know, either. Had this been caught earlier in the season, there wouldn't be a controversy now.

PS -- If enough people don't like a rule, they can/should change it. Until then, they should follow it.

Reaction Score
Yes.
I like Rueck..........he's always come across as a positive player-friendly coach with no bravado.........Oregon has been on top for a while, but they seem to have fallen on difficult times............lots of talk about the Graves getting booted.........never would have thought that possible a few years ago....

Reaction Score
Oregon State won the game in the closing minutes when they hit those two 3 pointers, and then TVO blocked a Citron 3. ND was applying pressure and forcing TOs (although quite a few unforced by Oregon State). That's what kept them in the game. Citron and Westbeld battled hard, and the other players played their role. It's tough to make it to the elite eight with only 3 big time scorers and one is playing poorly. She was pressing and forcing shots, which has been an issue in previous big games. Oregon State played great defense all game, and obviously had the advantage inside.

Beers is so good, and Gardiner is the perfect complimentary piece alongside her. Beers requires a double team and then kicks out to give her shooter open shots. And their guards are long and big too. Gardiner's game is so smooth. In high school she had pro moves. A 40% three point shooter at the 4 with Beers is crazy. I hope they give South Carolina a good game.

Reaction Score
It's definitely a safety issue, primarily to protect Hidalgo (if she got hit in the face like Edwards, it could be pretty bad). Stopping in the middle of a game is a little sketchy, but she never should have been allowed to walk on a court in November. Both her coaches (who should know the rules) and referees (for failing to enforce them) are to blame.

Reaction Score
A nose ring??!!?!?! This is a nice reminder of how young these kids are.

Reaction Score
If H had the nose ring all year, why didn't we call her on it. Or is it on the refs to call it. What exactly is the rule she violated. You can have the long hair like Edwards, but not a little nose ring. Seems odd. can they wear pierced ears. Seems bad if that may have cost ND the game.
Regardless of Hidalgo and other athletes getting away with nose rings during games all year, the rule states that jewelry of any form, is not allowed.
Nose ring/stud = jewelry. This is sanctioned by the NCAA, and is not allowed.
Hair extension = hair. This is not yet sanctioned by the NCAA, so it is allowed.

PS: As long as Geno and CD are in charge of the Huskies, I don’t think you’ll see them intentionally breaking the NCAA rules. If it happens once, CD will have them do a power point as to following the rules.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The nose ring is a diamond. It's the hardest material. I totally agree to ban it. It's for her own good and as for the other players on the floor.

Reaction Score
Can't stand ND but it's clear that ND got ripped off today. She openly wore it the first 2 games of the tournament. If they suddenly want to enforce this rule then let her know before the game so she can get it taken out without disrupting her team.
I read an article where Hidalgo stated that she was spoken to about the ring‘s removal prior to the game. She asked if it could be taped, and was told yes. Then later she was told to remove it. It’s unfortunate she missed time in the game, but had her coaches implemented the rules all season, she would not have missed valuable time in such an important game. As the student, she should’ve been instructed or reminded of the rules. Unfortunately she wasn’t, but the lesson is learnt.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Zarathustra- - Announcers said Hidalgo wore it every game this season! How brain dead was everyone else!
If you read articles you will find there are a number of players on various teams that apparently do wear jewelry. The Ole Miss coach stated as much, that a number of her players do. They largely cover it up.

Someone above criticized the "cover it up" as being somehow "worse". No, they don't cover it up to "hide" it, they cover it up because (to a degree) if you have tape over the jewelry historically they didn't make you remove it. That's not according to the rules, but . . .

Also, in Nan's photo, the stud is covered. It isn't ok, but if the rule is virtually never enforced, then . . . Incidentally, in one game an Arizona player had to remove jewelry - but she didn't normally wear it during games, she had just forgotten to take it out, so it was no big deal.

Reaction Score
As for what she plans to do with the nose ring moving forward, Hidalgo said, "Next season, I'm going to play with it still until they tell me to take it out."
Spoken like a true, “rebellious“ young adult, and this has me shaking my head. However, I do understand Hidalgo’s disappointment in her team’s loss today, but hopefully with time, her anger will die down. Also, should she put the ring in her nose on game day next year, I‘m hoping that one of the adults on her team, will remind her of today’s lesson.

Reaction Score
So, here’s the nose ring in question. It’s not a hoop or something that could get pulled out, injuring her, but a tiny piece of jewelry. I’m not seeing an issue with it, TBH

View attachment 98475
Based on this photo she knew the rule well enough to remove her earrings from all of the piercings in her earlobe. Her excuse that she had been wearing the nose jewelry all year is the real BS. It’s kind of like telling the state trooper who just pulled you over, “But officer, this is BS! I’ve been driving 95 mph on this stretch of the highway for years.” By the way, I’m not sure if her headband is legal. Could be categorized as a bandana. But don’t worry, the NCAA will probably except ND from the no jewelry rule next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom