OSU edges ND | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OSU edges ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks! It makes sense that jewelry should be banned. It’s dangerous for the players.
Jewelry is banned for that player’s safety. iv seen players wear nose rings and wonder why they have them in/on during the game. That makes no sense to me; players and coaches know it’s a rule violation and continue to test it. For Hidalgo to complain about that is just plain stupid. Complain about foul calls not a clear rule violation.

Long hair isn’t a rule violation. Jewelry is.

Reaction Score
I cannot believe she said that. If she did say this then kick her out the NCAA basketball.
Believe.... see the link on comment # 76 . I believe that I read it as the last comment in
the article to be made by Hannah.

Reaction Score
But this is an article "about" the rule. You can read the rule directly. Just google search of
Rule 1 Section 25 Article 7 and Rule 2 Section 5 Article 1 (I think those are correct). One
can get a misconception when reading "about" a rule rather the precise wording of the rule.
Of course, everyone can then give their own "meaning" to the wording, but at least we would
be working from a common START POINT.

Reaction Score
Based on this photo she knew the rule well enough to remove her earrings from all of the piercings in her earlobe. Her excuse that she had been wearing the nose jewelry all year is the real BS. It’s kind of like telling the state trooper who just pulled you over, “But officer, this is BS! I’ve been driving 95 mph on this stretch of the highway for years.” By the way, I’m not sure if her headband is legal. Could be categorized as a bandana. But don’t worry, the NCAA will probably except ND from the no jewelry rule next year.
I did notice that Hannah had the "pierced" earlobes in this photo... see # 44 above. Perhaps she
had developed her own definition of the meaning of "jewelry". Do the refs have discretion in
the enforcement of such things? Is it " jewelry" or "jewelry" that can cause injury? SOMEONE
should have checked this out more closely.

Reaction Score
ALBANY, N.Y. – Hannah Hidalgo said it was “BS” she had to sit out for more than four minutes while her nose piercing was removed and said it disrupted her game.

Notre Dame’s All-America point guard has worn a diamond stud in the left side of her nose all season. “Head decorations, head wear, helmets, and jewelry are illegal,” according to NCAA rules, but it hadn’t been an issue until Friday’s Sweet 16 game against Oregon State.

Hidalgo said one of the officials told her during warm-ups that she would need to take it out. She asked if she could cover it instead and said she was told that would be fine. At the end of the first quarter, however, Hidalgo said she was told it had to be removed.

“I think it’s BS,” Hidalgo told USA TODAY Sports after Notre Dame's 70-65 loss. “They should have just let me play with it if that’s what they said.”

Hidalgo was 2 of 4 in the first quarter. She was 2 of 13 the rest of the way, and her 10 points and four field goals tied her season lows.

“It’s big,” Hildalgo said. “I’m on a run, I’m feeling good. To not (play) those five minutes and sit cold."
One ref chooses not to enforce the rule? a different ref chooses to enforce the rule? Who is correct? Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
I noticed that Cordova had a nose ring in games earlier this year. She didn’t have it in yesterday. funny how the players take earrings and rings off but leave the nose ring alone. Maybe now coaches will enforce that. You would think players would be responsible enough to take all jewelry off.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That should be in the general forum, though I'm glad the Irish fall
The General board was set up to prevent the women’s board from being overwhelmed by posts about other teams. But now that so few teams/games remain, it’s ok to have threads on non-UConn games for teams still in the tournament.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I noticed that Cordova had a nose ring in games earlier this year. She didn’t have it in yesterday. funny how the players take earrings and rings off but leave the nose ring alone. Maybe now coaches will enforce that. You would think players would be responsible enough to take all jewelry off.
Hidalgo is a freshman. This is on her coaches

Reaction Score
I believe nose rings are extremely fast closing - they can start to heal within hours of the piercing being removed even if they aren't brand new piercings. I've known people who were hesitant to take theirs out for this reason. The inside can close extremely quickly and you might legitimately be unable to put it back in yourself a surprisingly short time later.

If anything, I would rather see a rule to put some athletic tape or other cover over the piercing.

Reaction Score
I believe nose rings are extremely fast closing - they can start to heal within hours of the piercing being removed even if they aren't brand new piercings. I've known people who were hesitant to take theirs out for this reason. The inside can close extremely quickly and you might legitimately be unable to put it back in yourself a surprisingly short time later.

If anything, I would rather see a rule to put some athletic tape or other cover over the piercing.
Yes they are. It’s still unsafe to wear it playing basketball. The question is do you want to wear a fashion statement or play the game. It’s metal so take it out!!! Why is that even a discussion. The assistant coaches ought to be telling the players this.

Doesn’t Geno have a rule about large tattoos be covered? If you want to play for UConn, you cover that tattoo. He also doesn’t allowed names on back of jersey. These are rules that the players follow. Too many entitled players making a stink. Get over yourself kids…

Reaction Score
FYI HLV has one or she wears a stud - but never in games. I'm just mentioning her because she's popular and there's lots of pictures of them and I'm sure there are hundreds more players but they take them out for games.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Doesn’t Geno have a rule about large tattoos be covered? If you want to play for UConn, you cover that tattoo. He also doesn’t allowed names on back of jersey. These are rules that the players follow. Too many entitled players making a stink. Get over yourself kids…
CD had a rule, not Geno, but apparently that rule, and anti-gum chewing one, were tossed because Nika has visible body art and chews gum while playing .

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
CD had a rule, not Geno, but apparently that rule, and anti-gum chewing one, were tossed because Nika has visible body art and chews gum while playing .
Nan are you saying tht coach Dailey's playing favorites or getting soft?.....say it ain't so. Either way she's still in my list of top 5 coaches
1. Geno Auriemma
2. Chris Dailey
3. Dan Hurley
4. Jimmy Johnson
5. Jim Calhoun and Earl Weaver (tie)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nika has body art, not large tattoos. Didn’t Williams wear an arm sleeve to cover hers? Thought I saw her tattoo and she covered it.
Kenitra Johnson had body art (today’s term for a tattoo) small enough to be covered with an ordinary sized BandAid and was required to cover it. Nika has at least 2 visible tattoos that are uncovered. CD has apparently loosened her rules, probably because so many young people have tattoos these days

Reaction Score
A few things.
  • I love Hidalgo’s defiant statement. It’s classic adolescent bluster and it’s one of the reasons we love watching these kids compete. Oh, to be young again!
  • She’s obviously embarrassed and thinks the defeat is her fault. It isn’t, but I’m sure she feels it anyway. Everyone should find a way to cut her some slack. She’s a wonderful kid who wil do great things.
  • I seem to recall a game last year when Mai Forsberg made Nika remove some jewelry during a game. There were smiles all around and Nika complied. I think Forsberg likes Nika and that may have helped defuse it before any feelings could be hurt.
  • Lou wore a big bandage over a tattoo on her arm all last season.
  • Eyelash extensions are all the rage on lots of teams. CD doesn’t tolerate them. They look ridiculous but apparently the kids can play just fine with them. Maybe it’s even a little like war paint, or part of their game face.
  • CD’s rules are part of a package meant to get young people to focus on what matters. Self discipline is what matters, not makeup or extensions or jewelry, and CD knows it can also be a community building thing, something for the kids to rally around.
  • I love that video that circulated a few years ago of CD chastising Stewie in a practice: “Breanna Stewart, you better improve your body language.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A few things.
  • I love Hidalgo’s defiant statement. It’s classic adolescent bluster and it’s one of the reasons we love watching these kids compete. Oh, to be young again!
  • She’s obviously embarrassed and thinks the defeat is her fault. It isn’t, but I’m sure she feels it anyway. Everyone should find a way to cut her some slack. She’s a wonderful kid who wil do great things.
  • I seem to recall a game last year when Mai Forsberg made Nika remove some jewelry during a game. There were smiles all around and Nika complied. I think Forsberg likes Nika and that may have helped defuse it before any feelings could be hurt.
  • Lou wore a big bandage over a tattoo on her arm all last season.
  • Eyelash extensions are all the rage on lots of teams. CD doesn’t tolerate them. They look ridiculous but apparently the kids can play just fine with them. Maybe it’s even a little like war paint, or part of their game face.
  • CD’s rules are part of a package meant to get young people to focus on what matters. Self discipline is what matters, not makeup or extensions or jewelry, and CD knows it can also be a community building thing, something for the kids to rally around.
  • I love that video that circulated a few years ago of CD chastising Stewie in a practice: “Breanna Stewart, you better improve your body language.”
Lou had a visible tattoo

40B1AAC0-147A-4AC7-B30E-6647F8E09530.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member