Oregon St vs Baylor - 3/23/18 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Oregon St vs Baylor - 3/23/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Great game by gulich.

Maybe we might finally see Germany have a good women's basketball team in the next few years.
Gulich, Sabally sisters and a lot of quality youth coming through.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Not impressed at all with Baylor. With their talent, they should have won by 20. Kim consistently does less with more. Why is she scared to play anyone nonconference?

I think she just really hates losing.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Another fun factoid: Baylor's only 2 losses of the year came to Pac-12 schools.

I think that there are several keys to the tournament success the Pac 12 had last year and is having (so far) this year as well. One is that there are a variety of playing styles throughout the conference that have to be taken into account in one way or another--and especially among its top teams this year (Stanford, UCLA, Oregon State, Oregon). Another is the fact that there are a number of coaches in the league who are very good at taking away an opponent's strengths/identifying its weaknesses, so that, if a team wants to continue to be successful throughout the conference season, it must learn to adapt to meet those challenges--or, in other words, just continue to get better. And, although the Pac 12 has a number of very good teams, it doesn't imo have at this point a "great" team that is head and shoulders above the others. Nor does it have a lot of duds. So teams have to get used to being challenged week after week.

Finally, as regards two of tonight's games, I think that Baylor and Texas were good matchups for OSU and UCLA, respectively. Indeed, I was fairly certain that UCLA would beat Texas, since their athleticism is at least the equal of the Longhorns' and they thrive in the kind of helter-skelter game which seems to be a Texas marker. And Baylor? Well, for one thing, I doubt they have faced many teams, if any, as well coached as the Beavers. And with all due respect to Brown and Cox, they also don't have a post player as skilled (or savvy) as Gulich or the ability, apparently, to bring the kind of pressure that has given the Beaver ball handlers problems all season.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I hope this helps with Oregon States' recruiting. They beat Tennessee with what seemed like half the state of Oregon playing for Warlick and then beats a young but talented Baylor team. Good coaching.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Karma? The soft schedule debate goes on.

Maybe it's the schedule, but I know we had to work very, very hard (and get the game of a lifetime from our PG) to keep them from the FF last year and it really could have gone either way in regulation. I tend to think losing Wallace showed up big tonight. They seemed to be missing leadership.

Reaction Score
I hope this helps with Oregon States' recruiting. They beat Tennessee with what seemed like half the state of Oregon playing for Warlick and then beats a young but talented Baylor team. Good coaching.

Alot of potential in next seasons recruits...
6'9 Aquino
6'7 Morris
5'11 Simmons

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Oregon State gets better in my opinion... along with the recruits mentioned above they also get Destiny Slocum.

Reaction Score
Oregon State gets better in my opinion... along with the recruits mentioned above they also get Destiny Slocum.
Not until we can find a way to replace Marie Gulich! That will be Rueck's challenge next year. The physical height is there, but not the skills of Gulich. Praying for a miracle in the tall recruits he is bringing in next year.

Reaction Score
Aquino is very mobile from what I've seen.

Big frontcourt with 6'9 Aquino, 6'8 grymek, 6'7 Morris and 6'3 Corosdale.

Reaction Score
Oregon ducks 2019-2020 potentially...
6'2, 6'2, 6'3, 6'3, 6'4, 6'4, 6'5, 6'6, 6'6 + 5 guards under 6ft.

Teams just keep getting bigger and bigger in the PAC 12.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think that there are several keys to the tournament success the Pac 12 had last year and is having (so far) this year as well. One is that there are a variety of playing styles throughout the conference that have to be taken into account in one way or another--and especially among its top teams this year (Stanford, UCLA, Oregon State, Oregon). Another is the fact that there are a number of coaches in the league who are very good at taking away an opponent's strengths/identifying its weaknesses, so that, if a team wants to continue to be successful throughout the conference season, it must learn to adapt to meet those challenges--or, in other words, just continue to get better. And, although the Pac 12 has a number of very good teams, it doesn't imo have at this point a "great" team that is head and shoulders above the others. Nor does it have a lot of duds. So teams have to get used to being challenged week after week.

Finally, as regards two of tonight's games, I think that Baylor and Texas were good matchups for OSU and UCLA, respectively. Indeed, I was fairly certain that UCLA would beat Texas, since their athleticism is at least the equal of the Longhorns' and they thrive in the kind of helter-skelter game which seems to be a Texas marker. And Baylor? Well, for one thing, I doubt they have faced many teams, if any, as well coached as the Beavers. And with all due respect to Brown and Cox, they also don't have a post player as skilled (or savvy) as Gulich or the ability, apparently, to bring the kind of pressure that has given the Beaver ball handlers problems all season.
All true. Just like last year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This game is available now on Youtube for download here.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Not until we can find a way to replace Marie Gulich! That will be Rueck's challenge next year. The physical height is there, but not the skills of Gulich. Praying for a miracle in the tall recruits he is bringing in next year.

I'm ashamed tonight was my first time watching Oregon State all season. After tonights performance from Gulich I am DEFINITELY a fan. I think her skillset will fit in well in the W. She certainly outplayed Kalani Brown... Gulich is very similar to Wilson to me, both are mobile bigs that pass, put it on the deck and hit the 15 footer.. Gulich being a mobile 5 and Wilson a mobile 4. Stationary bigs like Brown and McCowan have problems with bigs like Gulich and Wilson and tonight was another example of that, just like the SEC Championship game. Gulich will be a HUGE loss.

With all of that said, I have nothing but the utmost faith and respect for Rueck. He is one of my favorite coaches and I have no problem assuring you that he'll put a competitive team on the floor next year. People spelled doom and gloom after the losses of Hamblin.. and Weisner.. and Weise.. hasn't stopped Rueck before. He'll prevail again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm ashamed tonight was my first time watching Oregon State all season. After tonights performance from Gulich I am DEFINITELY a fan. I think her skillset will fit in well in the W. She certainly outplayed Kalani Brown... Gulich is very similar to Wilson to me, both are mobile bigs that pass, put it on the deck and hit the 15 footer.. Gulich being a mobile 5 and Wilson a mobile 4. Stationary bigs like Brown and McCowan have problems with bigs like Gulich and Wilson and tonight was another example of that, just like the SEC Championship game. Gulich will be a HUGE loss.
Underwhelmed by K Brown as a POY candidate. I would vote for Gulich over Brown for AA. Now Lauren Cox, she is the real deal! And as a sophmore she only gets better! When Cox fouled out there went the game.

Last edited:

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Geno hates to lose, too, but if he's going to, he'd rather lose in the regular season than the post season.

He definitely understands the value of challenging good teams early so they are ready for what's to come in the postseason.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Underwhelmed by K Brown as a POY candidate. I would vote for Gulich over Brown for AA. Now Lauren Cox, she is the real deal! And as a sophmore she only gets better! When Cox fouled there went the game.

I was not impressed by Brown vs Oregon State last night. Too many 15 footers (she can hit them, but that's not the shot she should be looking for) and she looked like a bull in a china shop with her post moves. I try not to overly criticize refs, but they let her do whatever she wanted last night. She should have been in foul trouble.

She also simply does not appear to be in shape to me. McCowan is a similar player and it's obvious she's much improved in the conditioning area compared to when she arrived on campus.

Reaction Score
Oregon ducks 2019-2020 potentially...
6'2, 6'2, 6'3, 6'3, 6'4, 6'4, 6'5, 6'6, 6'6 + 5 guards under 6ft.

Teams just keep getting bigger and bigger in the PAC 12.

Don't be too excited about height alone ...........I bet the team that wins the tournament this year will not be known for having particularly tall players

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom