Open letter to B12 Presidents from UCF | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Open letter to B12 Presidents from UCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Jacobs turns out some good columns, but when he makes himself and his various vendettas the centerpiece of them his work is tedious and whiny. I think that is what the other poster was referring to.

I understand, but has it been all that often? I remember he got into a huge beef with JC but that was over a decade ago. And I believe Jacobs when when he said he was on the receiving end of gay slurs from the staff.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If I were a P-5 president in a conference that would consider expanding with a school of UCF's profile my first question would be what %$c goes on every time that school has some success? About a dozen years ago Mike Kruczek was building something very solid then out of nowhere they had a meltdown similar to Chernobyl. A couple years ago O'Leary built as good a G-5 team as anyone can hope for and in the blink of an eye they are among the handful of worst programs in the bowl subdivision. There is something toxic within their program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I understand, but has it been all that often? I remember he got into a huge beef with JC but that was over a decade ago. And I believe Jacobs when when he said he was on the receiving end of gay slurs from the staff.
My understanding is his big beef was that Jeff Calhoun, when he was playing, looked at Jacobs and laughed and Jeff was offended by that. Seriously.

But it is more than Calhoun. He's had other instances whining about access and other things. His tendency toward paranoia and sensitivity and the need to write to about it to validate his victimhood is his tragic flaw.

Reaction Score
If I were a P-5 president in a conference that would consider expanding with a school of UCF's profile my first question would be what the %$c goes on every time that school has some success? About a dozen years ago Mike Kruczek was building something very solid then out of nowhere they had a meltdown similar to Chernobyl. A couple years ago O'Leary built as good a G-5 team as anyone can hope for and in the blink of an eye they are among the handful of worst programs in the bowl subdivision. There is something toxic within their program.
Its call horrible coaching hires. Exhibit 29 (a) in the how to ruin a good thing manual is this guy -
upload_2016-4-15_13-1-7.jpeg

Reaction Score
My understanding is his big beef was that Jeff Calhoun, when he was playing, looked at Jacobs and laughed and Jeff was offended by that. Seriously.

But it is more than Calhoun. He's had other instances whining about access and other things. His tendency toward paranoia and sensitivity and the need to write to about it to validate his victimhood is his tragic flaw.
I think if you work at the Courant, paranoia is a job requirement. Dez Conner is as paranoid as anyone. Some of his private e-mails to blog posters were epic in their degree of paranoia.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Its call horrible coaching hires. Exhibit 29 (a) in the how to ruin a good thing manual is this guy -
View attachment 13224
I see your point on the above but there has to be more to it in UCF's case. Two different coaches built the football team from basically nothing to something very strong only to see it go over the cliff in the matter of minutes. The guy you referenced steadily drove a program into the abyss.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

I remember he wrote he felt physically threatened by Calhoun's ire when Jacobs was recovering from a heart attack. Which may have lead to the questioning of his manhood. Anyway, Jeff owes us his big conference realignment opus. It's April now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When the Big East was reformulating for the first time, reps from UCF were calling everyone under the sun to try to get into the Big East....including people who owned message boards pertaining to current Big East teams.

It was a very, very odd conversation.

What did you get from DePaul?!?!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Call me when Bianci is cornered on a city street by an NHL team after they have their goalie die. Once Jacobs went down that road with the Flyers - everything that happens after is nothing.

Reaction Score
I love how he drops the line "UCF should easily be the Big 12's top choice – geographically, demographically, athletically and academically", but fails to mention how the football team went 0-12 and fired it's head coach, while the basketball team went 12-18 and fired it's head coach.

CL82

Reaction Score
I remember he wrote he felt physically threatened by Calhoun's ire when Jacobs was recovering from a heart attack. Which may have lead to the questioning of his manhood. Anyway, Jeff owes us his big conference realignment opus. It's April now.
The question is will it materialize? He had his big "I Jeff Jacobs, will save ol' State U moment." The self - aggrandizement moment has passed. Frankly, I wonder if he would have written anything if @Dooley hadn't made it easy.

Keep in mind that the UConn could have told Jeff and other members of the press, we're close, don't screw this up for us and will give you access to the details after the fact.

Reaction Score
The question is will it materialize? He had his big "I Jeff Jacobs, will save ol' State U moment." The self - aggrandizement moment has passed. Frankly, I wonder if he would have written anything if @Dooley hadn't made it easy.

Keep in mind that the UConn could have told Jeff and other members of the press, we're close, don't screw this up for us and will give you access to the details after the fact.

I think there is something to your second point...but don't kid yourself either, if there is a deal Jacobs would step over his mother to break that story.

Reaction Score
In a recent Hartford Current article about the football team, our new AD said that (to paraphrase him)..if we dominate the conference, "the other thing (CR) will take care of itself, if it is meant to be." I am not sure if the "if it is meant to be" line means we are back to monitoring. Therefore, according to him begging and pleading by any source is not going to help, although he did admit that he cannot read the minds of university presidents.

Reaction Score
We make a mistake not reaching, BRANDING this Program broader than Hartford and greater Hartford County. There's no one else that matters in College Sports in NE. And you absolutely can get folks to travel. I think marketing has always been scant.

Reaction Score
We make a mistake not reaching, BRANDING this Program broader than Hartford and greater Hartford County. There's no one else that matters in College Sports in NE. And you absolutely can get folks to travel. I think marketing has always been scant.

A perfect example of this is the Dunkin Donuts marketing deal. You go into a Dunkin Donuts in Fairfield County the UConn marketing campaign is no where to be found...go injto another one right over the border in New Haven County and it is front and center.

Reaction Score
Honestly.

I would push Dunkin Donuts,People's United, Webster Bank ... to market us in their stuff throughout NE. Particularly give the excellence of our Hoop teams. It's NEW ENGLAND excellence.

Reaction Score
Honestly.

I would push Dunkin Donuts,People's United, Webster Bank ... to market us in their stuff throughout NE. Particularly give the excellence of our Hoop teams. It's NEW ENGLAND excellence.
Agree 100% Pudge. As an aside, maybe Dunkin Donuts needs lass prodding than the others. I went into one next door to where I work this morning & saw DD-N.Y. Mets schedules at the counter. (no Yanks or Red Sox) I know that they have advertising contracts with all 3 teams, but to actually see a Mets schedule in Southington was an eye opener as they are generally an afterthought in this region.

Reaction Score
Honestly.

Agree 100% Pudge. As an aside, maybe Dunkin Donuts needs less prodding than the others. I went into one next door to where I work this morning & saw DD-N.Y. Mets schedules at the counter. (no Yanks or Red Sox) I know that they have advertising contracts with all 3 teams, but to actually see a Mets schedule in Southington was an eye opener as they are generally an afterthought in this region.

CL82

Reaction Score
How so?
Because it ignores just under a million CT residents who live in Fairfield County, the wealthiest and most densely populated part of the state. Fairfield County is a part of the NYC DMA.
upload_2016-4-17_13-33-2.png

When other fan bases say "UConn has no (TV) impact in NYC," they are spot on wrong because of that fact. They also have probably never seen us play in MSG, aka Gampel South.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because UConn covers more than just the Hartford market. Duh.

OK, I thought maybe you had something new to say, rather than repeating the same points already made 50 times in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom